Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Sabarimala issue.

3 posters

Go down

The Sabarimala issue.  Empty The Sabarimala issue.

Post by Guest Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:55 pm

Back in the day when I was little, we have some brahmin families from the krishna and Godavari districts living in our neighborhood. Mom used to envy them coz during their monthly cycle, women were ‘outside’, which means they are not made to test for those three dsys and their husbands used to cook, clean, take care of the kids, do puja, not touch his wife, etc. The woman used to happily sit and sleep in the varandah on her special mattress doing nothing, reading magazines and taking full rest. She’d get that privilege for three dsys a month. She’s treated like a queen when everything is supplied to her to her bed: the meals, snacks and all. Mom didn’t have that privilege. That custom didn’t exist in her part of 
that she grew up nor in her caste. She’s from the farming family and men wouldn’t have the energy to do all the household chores after a hard day in the field every so often. So women from that comminity didn’t have that privilege unlike the brahmin women. Is ‘being out’ a discriminatory practice? Far from it. quite the opposite. I was listening to the explanation a while ago: Women with periods are ‘shristi karinis’; they are in a position to bear children and uphold the continuation of the family/human race. Having periods=indicating fertility. So when she is on her periods, she is revered and respected and exempt from the mundane chores and allowed to take complete rest. And revered enough that she’s exempt from even doing the pujas. Revered or not, someone back in the day had some sense that those are not comfortable times with the women with the cramps, weakness and all and excused her from doing anything at all and allowed complete rest for those three days every month. Unfortunately, this practice is not there anymore. Things changed with time and no woman in India gets that kind of luxury. 

Coming to the present time, I have written before how I even made prasadam at a temple while on my montly cycle. The south indian priest assured me that even his wife makes the ‘naivedyam’ during her periods after sprinkling some turmeric water on her head. ‘Back in India, if it’s not me, there would be someone else to help out. I don’t have anyone like that here. With him being the only priest here, he’s busy all the time and can’t take up my chores too when I have my periods. So we have to give leeway to our customs accordingly,’ the priest’s wife said. I agreed. 
Did I not go to a temple when i had my periods? I did, especially  when I was visiting the temples in a different city. I just didn’t allow the priest to put the ‘shatakopam’ on my head nor took the ‘theertham’. I just tried to stay away. My sentiment. 
No one cares nowadays. Even the famous Pittsburgh Venkateswara temple had note in the ladies toilet there with: ‘Please don’t flush the sanitary pads in the toilets. Put them in the trash cans’. 

So anyone trying to take a higher stand and preach about the ‘regressive’ and ‘discriminatory’ ‘degrading’ practices against the women during their mentrual cycles can do better to shut their mouths up. Giving rest to women during their monthly sickness is not discriminatory. I wish we have it now. Otoh, going to a temple during periods is a personal choice for women nowadays. Do what you want to according to your own convenience or comfort levels. No one cares. So stop preaching. 

Coming to the Ayyappa Swamy temple, it is different. The temple has certain customs which they are strict about and we got to respect that. The following gives the reasons why. Are there such rules for Ayyapa swamy temples elsewhere? No. Any woman can visit any Ayyappa swamy temple anywhere. The Sabarimala Ayyappa diety has some story behind and some special and strict customs. Even men cannot enter without the 41 days of rigorous   celibacy vrata. If you believe in the diety, respect the customs, else don’t visit at all. I have this rule in my house that no outdoor footwear is allowed inside the house. Leave them in the garage. If you are a guest in my house who wants to walk all over my house with your outdoor shoes, then it’s not acceptable to me. If you don’t like my rules, don’t enter my house. Same thing for the Sabarimala temple. 

There are some temples where men are either not allowed at any time or not allowed during certain times of the year. For example, there’s the Kanyakumari temple in the southernmost tip of India where the diety devi takes the form of an unmarried girl and hence no man is allowed inside at time. Only girls and women are allowed. Is it discriminatory practice against men and should men forcibly barge in against the temple rules and customs? 

In matters of religion, sentiments and feelings matter, not logic and one got to respect the sentiments of any religion as long as it’s not harming anyone. 

What we see in the Sabarimala case is malice (the one’s who filed the case and the ones talking about ‘equality’ and trying to barge in) and people are enraged by that. This is like shaking the hornets nest unnecessarily. Use your brains and understand what’s going on instead of blabbering some rubbish without knowing anything. 

Here’s a link on why things are how they are at the Sabarimala temple:

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-Sabarimala-not-allow-women-from-the-age-10-50-to-enter-the-premises?ch=10&share=2e74894d&srid=iHAbw

PS: I talked about a supreme court judgment given a long time ago where a religious sect from Kerala had a problem with their kids singing the national anthem because it’s against their religion. The judgment was given in their favor coz the religious sentiments should be respected and we can’t force anything on anyone when their religious sentiments are hurt.It is not secularism if we do so. The judge was my uncle and he was someone with communist ideals, btw.

Back to top Go down

The Sabarimala issue.  Empty Re: The Sabarimala issue.

Post by southindian Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:32 am

Women should not visit a temple if they don't want to go. Period.
All women should be free to visit any temple whenever they want. 

A temple is a public place and not a private property and follow public laws in every country. If not, then issue membership cards for temple members, much like Lions Club or Sam's Club or Costco.

Logic matter everywhere, otherwise Teen Talaq, Beheadings, Burqa, women suppression in Gulf countries and Kerala temples become legitimate.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:26 am

southindian wrote:Women should not visit a temple if they don't want to go. Period.

A temple is a public place and not a private property and follow public laws in every country. If not, then issue membership cards for temple members, much like Lions Club or Sam's Club or Costco.

Logic matter everywhere, otherwise Teen Talaq, Beheadings, Burqa, women suppression in Gulf countries and Kerala temples become legitimate.
Great!! Jama Masjid is a public place too. I have a right to go there however I want to and pray whichever way I want to. I don’t believe in Allah or Quoran or Mohammad. I don’t give a damn about any of the rules of the masjid. Will barge in there in my shorts (Burqua? forget it!!) flashing my new haircut, (no stupid hijab. that’s  soooo demeaning, right?) and start praying alongside the males there (equality, of course). My fundamental rights. 

Let the ones trying to enter the sabarimala do the above.

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:31 pm

Pentamma wrote:
southindian wrote:Women should not visit a temple if they don't want to go. Period.

Great!! Jama Masjid is a public place too. I have a right to go there however I want to and pray whichever way I want to. I don’t believe in Allah or Quoran or Mohammad. I don’t give a damn about any of the rules of the masjid. Will barge in there in my shorts (Burqua? forget it!!) flashing my new haircut, (no stupid hijab. that’s  soooo demeaning, right?) and start praying alongside the males there (equality, of course). My fundamental rights. 

I don't give a damn about Muslims and their religion. I care about mine. Muslims get screwed by interpretations of their book and it's a pity muslims don't have balls to stand up and speak about it.

I will not let my religion become copy of any other stupid religion.

All Hindu women have rights to visit ANY time, ANY temple in ANY parts of the world. To visit and when to visit a temple is their choice.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:54 pm

Pentamma wrote:Back in the day when I was little, we have some brahmin families from the krishna and Godavari districts living in our neighborhood. Mom used to envy them coz during their monthly cycle, women were ‘outside’, which means they are not made to test for those three dsys and their husbands used to cook, clean, take care of the kids, do puja, not touch his wife, etc. The woman used to happily sit and sleep in the varandah on her special mattress doing nothing, reading magazines and taking full rest. She’d get that privilege for three dsys a month. She’s treated like a queen when everything is supplied to her to her bed: the meals, snacks and all. Mom didn’t have that privilege. That custom didn’t exist in her part of 
that she grew up nor in her caste. She’s from the farming family and men wouldn’t have the energy to do all the household chores after a hard day in the field every so often. So women from that comminity didn’t have that privilege unlike the brahmin women. Is ‘being out’ a discriminatory practice? Far from it. quite the opposite. I was listening to the explanation a while ago: Women with periods are ‘shristi karinis’; they are in a position to bear children and uphold the continuation of the family/human race. Having periods=indicating fertility. So when she is on her periods, she is revered and respected and exempt from the mundane chores and allowed to take complete rest. And revered enough that she’s exempt from even doing the pujas. Revered or not, someone back in the day had some sense that those are not comfortable times with the women with the cramps, weakness and all and excused her from doing anything at all and allowed complete rest for those three days every month. Unfortunately, this practice is not there anymore. Things changed with time and no woman in India gets that kind of luxury. 

Coming to the present time, I have written before how I even made prasadam at a temple while on my montly cycle. The south indian priest assured me that even his wife makes the ‘naivedyam’ during her periods after sprinkling some turmeric water on her head. ‘Back in India, if it’s not me, there would be someone else to help out. I don’t have anyone like that here. With him being the only priest here, he’s busy all the time and can’t take up my chores too when I have my periods. So we have to give leeway to our customs accordingly,’ the priest’s wife said. I agreed. 
Did I not go to a temple when i had my periods? I did, especially  when I was visiting the temples in a different city. I just didn’t allow the priest to put the ‘shatakopam’ on my head nor took the ‘theertham’. I just tried to stay away. My sentiment. 
No one cares nowadays. Even the famous Pittsburgh Venkateswara temple had note in the ladies toilet there with: ‘Please don’t flush the sanitary pads in the toilets. Put them in the trash cans’. 

So anyone trying to take a higher stand and preach about the ‘regressive’ and ‘discriminatory’ ‘degrading’ practices against the women during their mentrual cycles can do better to shut their mouths up. Giving rest to women during their monthly sickness is not discriminatory. I wish we have it now. Otoh, going to a temple during periods is a personal choice for women nowadays. Do what you want to according to your own convenience or comfort levels. No one cares. So stop preaching. 

Coming to the Ayyappa Swamy temple, it is different. The temple has certain customs which they are strict about and we got to respect that. The following gives the reasons why. Are there such rules for Ayyapa swamy temples elsewhere? No. Any woman can visit any Ayyappa swamy temple anywhere. The Sabarimala Ayyappa diety has some story behind and some special and strict customs. Even men cannot enter without the 41 days of rigorous   celibacy vrata. If you believe in the diety, respect the customs, else don’t visit at all. I have this rule in my house that no outdoor footwear is allowed inside the house. Leave them in the garage. If you are a guest in my house who wants to walk all over my house with your outdoor shoes, then it’s not acceptable to me. If you don’t like my rules, don’t enter my house. Same thing for the Sabarimala temple. 

There are some temples where men are either not allowed at any time or not allowed during certain times of the year. For example, there’s the Kanyakumari temple in the southernmost tip of India where the diety devi takes the form of an unmarried girl and hence no man is allowed inside at time. Only girls and women are allowed. Is it discriminatory practice against men and should men forcibly barge in against the temple rules and customs? 

In matters of religion, sentiments and feelings matter, not logic and one got to respect the sentiments of any religion as long as it’s not harming anyone. 

What we see in the Sabarimala case is malice (the one’s who filed the case and the ones talking about ‘equality’ and trying to barge in) and people are enraged by that. This is like shaking the hornets nest unnecessarily. Use your brains and understand what’s going on instead of blabbering some rubbish without knowing anything. 

Here’s a link on why things are how they are at the Sabarimala temple:

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-Sabarimala-not-allow-women-from-the-age-10-50-to-enter-the-premises?ch=10&share=2e74894d&srid=iHAbw

PS: I talked about a supreme court judgment given a long time ago where a religious sect from Kerala had a problem with their kids singing the national anthem because it’s against their religion. The judgment was given in their favor coz the religious sentiments should be respected and we can’t force anything on anyone when their religious sentiments are hurt.It is not secularism if we do so. The judge was my uncle and he was someone with communist ideals, btw.
Took a page out of mullah's book to give it a positive spin, eh? It was a norm (for women to sit out) in farming families as well, when there were joint families. But the point is times have changed from those old days, one needs move on from old customs. Isn't that what your gripe is about your favorite religion, Islam?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:13 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

Took a page out of mullah's book to give it a positive spin, eh? It was a norm (for women to sit out) in farming families as well, when there were joint families. But the point is times have changed from those old days, one needs move on from old customs. Isn't that what your gripe is about your favorite religion, Islam?
You kidding? Never heard about it in the Rayalaseema region. I don’t think it’s existent in the Telangana region either. Not in joint families nor in nuclear families. Seen it mostly in the Brahmin families from the andhra region. Maybe it’s there in the non-brahmins too in that region. But no, not a thing of Rayalaseema, unfortunately. Sorry. Get your facts straight. 

My gripe? The double standard of the lefties and commies. If it’s about the majority, they don’t care. When it comes to the minorities, it’s all about ‘being sensitive to their religious sensibilities’. When M.F Hussain draws naked Hindu goddesses and gods, it’s artistic freedom and expression. They dare not say the same when the tables are turned. 
That’s just one example.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:28 pm

southindian wrote:
Pentamma wrote:

I don't give a damn about Muslims and their religion. I care about mine. Muslims get screwed by interpretations of their book and it's a pity muslims don't have balls to stand up and speak about it.

All Hindu women have rights to visit ANY time, ANY temple in ANY parts of the world. To visit and when to visit a temple is their choice.
That was just to show the kind of attitude the ones who want to barge into the Sabarimala temple have (in a reverse order). They want to go there not out of devotion for the diety? They don’t give a damn about Ayyappa. 

Before you talk about rights of Hindu women, you northies need to get to know about the south indian culture first. Until then, don’t shoot off your mouths.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:41 pm

PS: A survey says that 80-90% of Kerala Hindus, including women are upset about the Supreme court ruling.

We’ll see what happens tomorrow when it’s going to be reviewed again in the supreme court. 17 th is when the temple will be opened for the Diksha undertakers to come in. Will see what happens. The ones who are gaining the most is the BJP. I am sure they must be praying that this issue will not be resolved anytime soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:51 am

Pentamma wrote:
southindian wrote:
Pentamma wrote:

That was just to show the kind of attitude the ones who want to barge into the Sabarimala temple have (in a reverse order). They want to go there not out of devotion for the diety? They don’t give a damn about Ayyappa. 

Before you talk about rights of Hindu women, you northies need to get to know about the south indian culture first. Until then, don’t shoot off your mouths.
LOL Smile

Southies don't come from planet Vega. Southies are same as any other human/hindu.

Nope! Southies cannot be discriminated against. They are equal as Northies and Westies and Easties. They can enter any temple whenever they want.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:50 am

southindian wrote:
Pentamma wrote:
southindian wrote:
Pentamma wrote:

LOL Smile

Southies don't come from planet Vega. Southies are same as any other human/hindu.

Nope! Southies cannot be discriminated against. They are equal as Northies and Westies and Easties. They can enter any temple whenever they want.
Kya boli maine? Don’t shoot off your mouth, no? Jao, jaake maine jo homework kar ne ko boli woh karo pehle. 

Srsly!! Try to understand why a vast majority of Kerala hindus are so offended by what’s going on with Sabarimala. 
Maybe...forget it! It’s a waste to tell you guys.

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:10 am

Pentamma wrote:
southindian wrote:
Pentamma wrote:
southindian wrote:
Pentamma wrote:

LOL Smile

Kya boli maine? Don’t shoot off your mouth, no? Jao, jaake maine jo homework kar ne ko boli woh karo pehle. 

Srsly!! Try to understand why a vast majority of Kerala hindus are so offended by what’s going on with Sabarimala. 
What's that gibberish?

Anyways, You guys!? What does that mean?

Kerala Hindus and no different than any other Hindus or humans. Much like other humans, they too die. As I indicated, please don't make this a "Kerala Hindus are different. They are special hindus..." argument. That's BS and please stop that Northie, Southie drama.

No Hindu is different than any other Hindu man, woman and everyone have right to visit any temple, whenever they want.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:15 am

southindian wrote:
Pentamma wrote:
southindian wrote:
Pentamma wrote:
southindian wrote:

LOL Smile

What's that gibberish?

Kerala Hindus and no different than any other Hindus or humans. Much like other humans, they too die. As I indicated, please don't make this a "Kerala Hindus are different. They are special hindus..." argument. That's BS and please stop that Northie, Southie drama.

No Hindu is different than any other Hindu man, woman and everyone have right to visit any temple, whenever they want.
I am done arguing with a moron. No wonder you guys were eff’d by the invaders and lost all your culture.

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:49 pm

Pentamma wrote:
southindian wrote:
Pentamma wrote:
southindian wrote:
Pentamma wrote:

LOL Smile

What's that gibberish?

I am done arguing with a moron. No wonder you guys were eff’d by the invaders and lost all your culture.
That's funny. Why so angry? In US, I don't care about about invaders and culture unless Donald Trump says that on Fox. Smile

It's amazing to see idiots living in Georgia, USA who are never going to go back to any other culture are worried about culture, temples in Kerala, instead of supporting a woman's right to visit any temple, whenever and anywhere in the world.

These are same idiots who tell muslims what to change in muslim religion and sided with so-called evangelicals to help elect Donald PussyGrabber Trump win 2016 election in USA.

Fucking hypocrites, I tell ya. Smile
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:29 pm

A question -- what is the administrative structure of the Sabarimalai temple? Does anyone know? I have no dog in this fight, but I find it interesting. In the US, the government is not allowed to interfere with the policies inside a temple or a church so long as it doesn't violate any local or federal laws. For example, people cannot willy nilly enter the inner sanctum of a Mormon temple. However, it seems to me that the management of Hindu temples in Southern India is by a board which has some kind of a relationship with the local state governments, and the state governments often provide funding to the temples. And it seems like Christian and Muslim religious institutions are not organized in this way. This is probably one reason why the government thinks it has the legal authority to mess with Hindu temple policies and operations.

And to those arguing in support of the Supreme Court decision, I have a question. Hindus respect the idea that only the Brahmin priests conducting everyday religious functions are allowed in the sanctum-sanctorum, and the rest of the people are content to stand outside, pray, and receive blessings. This is true in both Southern Indian and Northern temples. Are you also in favor of changing this policy in support of a free for all policy for anyone to enter the sanctum-sanctorum? I am just curious.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:58 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:A question -- what is the administrative structure of the Sabarimalai temple? Does anyone know? I have no dog in this fight, but I find it interesting. In the US, the government is not allowed to interfere with the policies inside a temple or a church so long as it doesn't violate any local or federal laws.  For example, people cannot willy nilly enter the inner sanctum of a Mormon temple.  However, it seems to me that the management of Hindu temples in Southern India is by a board which has some kind of a relationship with the local state governments, and the state governments often provide funding to the temples.  And it seems like Christian and Muslim religious institutions are not organized in this way.  This is probably one reason why the government thinks it has the legal authority to mess with Hindu temple policies and operations.

Looks like it is called Travancore Devashom board, controlled by the state government. It’s the same in AP too. All the temples are controlled by the government. I hear talks about the need for the temples to become autonomous, free of govt control, like it is for mosques and churches in India. Else, clashes like these occur and it is not good.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.deccanchronicle.com/amp/nation/current-affairs/040118/sabarimala-temple-gets-a-new-name.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down