my first bff

Go down

my first bff

Post by rasāsvāda on Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:35 pm

not technically a bff. Our friendship didn't last, but it was legendary. 

i often think about her, and probably have ten dozen memories with her, and so will use to jot on this thread as i go down the memory lane. Only the fun or positive ones. Don't mean to chronologize the whole friendship 

We were in same section since pre-k, but weren't really friends. Honestly, i don't even remember now who were my friends in pre-k, k, or 1st grade until i knew her. I don't think we had a concept of 'best friend' until that age. We were always playing in a group, and I didn't meet any of them outside of school until then, except maybe a couple of them on sunday movie nights in the village. I had my own home-side friends (that's another novel).

All that changed one morning...

rasāsvāda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: my first bff

Post by rasāsvāda on Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:57 pm

I used to go to school by tonga. My house was less than a mile away from the school.

One day in first grade, in the first period, my loud tangewaala walked in with her. I tried to hide behind a girl the moment I saw him, but he had already seen me. He pointed at me and told the teacher that he's my tangewaala. He used to call me by my pet name, and even THAT he didn't say right, which made me a subject of ridicule my whole school life. The teacher was so confused. It was rare that someone would walk straight into the class. But our school campus was open, and our class was across a small courtyard, so the bff must have brought him straight there, and maybe asked him to come in so that he could plead the teacher to not mark her as late or absent. 

I had to stand up to tell the teacher that it's me he's talking about. Once the teacher developed trust in him, he said he ran into bff and her mother running up to school coz her tangewaala never showed up, and so he offered to bring her to school. He also announced to us that henceforth he will be shuttling her daily, and instructed me to make sure I bring her with me in the afternoon. 

A girl had just left our class around the same time, and she used to sit infront of me. The teacher was so taken in by the spiritedness of my tangewaala, that she placed bff next to me, who looked very scared for some reason. 

And thus a friendship of years was formed. And I was soon to discover that she was the opposite of fearful in every sense of the word.

rasāsvāda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude on Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:56 am

Ah! Tonga reminds of me of my college days. That used to be the preferred mode of transportation to our movie or bar trips to downtown, at least for the first year or two, mostly because of economics. used to be a lot of fun though.

confuzzled dude

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rasāsvāda on Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:24 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:Ah! Tonga reminds of me of my college days. That used to be the preferred mode of transportation to our movie or bar trips to downtown, at least for the first year or two, mostly because of economics. used to be a lot of fun though.

cool... from what I remember, they disappeared from the school scene by the time I finished high school.

I posted one of the tonga stories here, this was with the same bff

such.forumotion.com/t41114-bumping-butt-buddies

with minor changes... 

Must have been in the third or fourth grade. We used to take the same tonga to school. Both of us thought we should experiment jumping from the moving tonga on the way to school. As the tonga neared the school gates, one opened the door, jumped out. *thud* and fell on the road. the other didn't learn from it. opened the door, jumped out. *thud* and fell on the road too...only difference being, one fell on her back, and the other on her face. The other girls gasped, and the tonga walaa began yelling at both of us. We were too embarrassed to climb back up, so we picked up our bags, acted chill, and sheepishly walked to school. Luckily there was no fast vehicle right behind us.

rasāsvāda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rasāsvāda on Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:44 pm

continuing from.. http://such.forumotion.com/t46769-my-first-bff#249856

that afternoon we discovered we lived pretty close to each other. we lived in the same hospital campus. I lived right next to the hospital in a bungalow. She lived a little outside the gated part in a flat on the second floor. She was a sikh and was the youngest in the family like I was. And for the most part both of us were reasonably lonely. Before you know it, we were spending time with each other almost daily. It was very crowded to get to each other's place, but was an easy hop for us. Besides, those days parents were less watchful. We could be out all day, and they wouldn't come to find us unless it was time for dinner. She didn't even have a pgone. But it didn't matter. Most evenings she would come to my house. Or I would hop to her place. Didn't matter. Those times were priceless I guess.

rasāsvāda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rasāsvāda on Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:07 pm

In mornings I used to be the last pick on my tongawaala's route. And also the last drop. Until then i was the only one from my area. All others were along another development infront of the hospital across the main road. when bff got added, I was still the last pick, with a little detour to her place first. In afternoons though he reversed the order and dropped the other colony girls before us. So it was would be the whole tonga to the two of us half the way back. 

I used to be forever late in mornings. Always trying to skip the breakfast. But I had a very determined nanny. She would not let me go until I had eaten my own breakfast. To my dismay it was almost always omelet-paratha. She would roll it up and stuff it in my face at the front door while the tonga people looked on from the road. So I would be working that omelet for the first couple of minutes of the ride. This deeply annoyed one very Brahmin girl who was all chheee about anything not vegetarian. (she told me this many years later actually when we were older and she was able to laugh at herself about it).

Side story - Brahmin girl used to be the leader actually. Once she told us - if you have a car, a fridge, a phone, a radio, and (a couple of other things - forgetting now, this was before tv became a thing), then you are officially rich. I went through the checklist and realized we had them all.  the friend declared that I was rich. I came home and asked my mom if we are rich. She had such a wicked loud laughter over it, and then with a twinkle in her eyes, said - well if your friend says so, then maybe we are. (of course I learnt figured out that we weren't exactly "rich"). 

Anyway, the Brahmin girl would pick up fights with me a lot. Always bringing me down for one thing or another. But now I had a best friend. We were a typical leo-scorpio bond that way. Full loyalty for each other. BFF would not let anyone go off the hook if they were rude to me or if I got in a fight with anyone, even if I had backed out by then. And I did the same. OMG sometimes we would have the entire ride back home bickering with each other. Before you know it, they two were sworn enemies, and I was trying to make peace between them lol. 

But other than a few personal fights here and there, we were mostly non partisan, bff and I. We had a lot of "groupism" back in elementary school, and I refused to be a part of any group, so didn't let her join any either. So the two of us would roll along with anyone who was doing fun stuff. Or we would be forever occupied along with a couple other friends, and whoever wanted to join us was free to join. Whenever fights erupted, a few of us peaceful ones minded our own business. I remember in 5th grade one group pretended that they have complained to the headmistress about the other group, and in fear they all began crying. My bff got into the emotional flow and began crying too. I was like wth, stop crying and let's get out of here. lol. I strongly resisted if anyone tried to pull me to their "side" or expected me to fight for them. Guess I never was the one to be caged.  

Mostly at lunch time we would finish the food quickly and play games in groups. We used to have two recess and played like crazy. We had some really scary rides at school. am sure they are banned in today's world. And many times have had really bad falls. We had chakris, big and small. We had a high swing - not sure what the name is, in which you actually hold the ropes by your hands and all girls would run in a circle fast and then get airborne hanging in the air, keeping it going by our momentum. You slip, you fall bad. And we had pretty high jungle gyms. And sand playing box and cool slides. Not to mention playing hopscotch and hanging on banyan trees. Those were our best childhood memories. So active, not caring about falling down.

rasāsvāda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum