Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A lottery question?

2 posters

Go down

A lottery question?  Empty A lottery question?

Post by Seva Lamberdar Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:38 am

If people are informed about the winning lottery numbers through the news media, lottery websites and lottery outlets alone while there is no evidence of the winning numbers actually drawn (such as by conducting the lottery draw on live TV), isn't there the possibility that the lottery numbers declared as winners might not be genuine and they could have even been handpicked so as to favor / benefit the lottery owners / managers and their friends and family members (for example, by having them play those numbers in the lottery before they are announced to public as winners)?
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

A lottery question?  Empty Re: A lottery question?

Post by Guest Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:29 am

from what i know, or atleast have seen in the past, this is a televised event, usually aired at the end of major channels' news segment that's at time of the drawing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:41 am

sulu wrote:from what i know, or atleast have seen in the past, this is a televised event, usually aired at the end of major channels' news segment that's at time of the drawing.
The TV coverage of lottery numbers drawn live is definitely a good thing in making the lottery draws and numbers seem authentic. I am not sure of it in the case of winning lottery numbers suddenly appearing in the media and on websites, without actually shown on TV during their drawing.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by silvermani Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:39 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
sulu wrote:from what i know, or atleast have seen in the past, this is a televised event, usually aired at the end of major channels' news segment that's at time of the drawing.
The TV coverage of lottery numbers drawn live is definitely a good thing in making the lottery draws and numbers seem authentic. I am not sure of it in the case of winning lottery numbers suddenly appearing in the media and on websites, without actually shown on TV during their drawing.
Your concern is valid but there's another way to look at it. Say they fudged the numbers and pick out some numbers. But if you have a ticket with those numbers, you still win! The closest I ever got was 3 numbers and the mega or powerball number whatever it is called. I got a $10 or $11 payout. I was  confident at that time that I could get those missing two numbers also and win the whole thing one day. These days not even a single number on my ticket matches the winning numbers!
silvermani
silvermani

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:52 pm

silvermani wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Your concern is valid but there's another way to look at it. Say they fudged the numbers and pick out some numbers. But if you have a ticket with those numbers, you still win! The closest I ever got was 3 numbers and the mega or powerball number whatever it is called. I got a $10 or $11 payout. I was  confident at that time that I could get those missing two numbers also and win the whole thing one day. These days not even a single number on my ticket matches the winning numbers!
One of the major issues I see, as pointed out earlier, unless and until the lottery draws for winning numbers are held and shown live on public / commercial TV, there is always the danger that the lottery results / numbers declared as winners might not be authentic and they could even be used spuriously to play the lottery, by having someone play a set of numbers before lottery closes and then (after lottery closes) that set of numbers are announced as winners.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by silvermani Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:05 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
silvermani wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
One of the major issues I see, as pointed out earlier, unless and until the lottery draws for winning numbers are held and shown live on public / commercial TV, there is always the danger that the lottery results / numbers declared as winners might not be authentic and they could even be used spuriously to play the lottery, by having someone play a set of numbers before lottery closes and then (after lottery closes) that set of numbers are announced as winners.

Actually, a case like this was in the news 1-2 years ago. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/30/mastermind-of-lottery-fraud-admits-he-rigged-jackpots.html
silvermani
silvermani

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:36 am

silvermani wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
silvermani wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:

Actually, a case like this was in the news 1-2 years ago. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/30/mastermind-of-lottery-fraud-admits-he-rigged-jackpots.html
Thanks. That's why the live telecast for drawing the winning lottery numbers / results is very important, especially by showing on live TV the numbered balls selected / dropped randomly one by one to pick the winning lottery numbers.

Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down