share a totally random fact

View previous topic View next topic Go down

share a totally random fact

Post by pravalika nanda on Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:43 pm

i'll bet you guys didn't know that girish karnad was a rhodes scholar. or that he was so old! guys who like yakshagana are weird. (yes, it's a fact)

the swan-ganz became popular in the the 1980s to 2000, edwards life sciences was making about 100 million of these annually, but after 2000 the swan-ganz fell out of favor and edwards life sciences totally suffered. i was lucky to observe one placed the other day, i could discuss that another day.

later,
nanda

pravalika nanda

Posts : 2023
Join date : 2011-07-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: share a totally random fact

Post by Another Brick on Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:56 am

manohar parrikar, the CM of Goa, did his engg (metallurgy) from IITB in 1978. he is the the first IITian CM in India.

christopher nolan assumed he would have to work for two months on the script of Inception but it took him 8 years to finish it.

padma lakshmi once approached me on the Mumbai airport and said "hey handsome, want to have idli-sambhar with me?" and i said "idli-sambhar, you say? i don't like idlis, so why don't you find someone else?"

random enough?

Another Brick

Posts : 1495
Join date : 2011-05-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: share a totally random fact

Post by Merlot Daruwala on Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:06 am

Another Brick wrote:manohar parrikar, the CM of Goa, did his engg (metallurgy) from IITB in 1978. he is the the first IITian CM in India.

christopher nolan assumed he would have to work for two months on the script of Inception but it took him 8 years to finish it.

padma lakshmi once approached me on the Mumbai airport and said "hey handsome, want to have idli-sambhar with me?" and i said "idli-sambhar, you say? i don't like idlis, so why don't you find someone else?"

random enough?


Merlot Daruwala

Posts : 4873
Join date : 2011-04-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: share a totally random fact

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:25 am

If you have 3 quarters, 4 dimes, and 4 pennies, you have $1.19. You also have the largest amount of money in coins without being able to make change for a dollar.


more here http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~bingbin/



I have a look-alike that many people (very close to me) have seen except me.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: share a totally random fact

Post by scoutfinch on Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:08 pm

Bank of Baroda has 3691 branches and 1838 ATMs across India.

MG road in Gurgaon stands for Mehrauli-Gurgaon, and not Mahatma Gandhi.

Sanjana kapoor, who ran Prithvi theatre until recently, is married to Valmik Thapar, a tiger conservationist and the nephew of Romila Thapar.

Vikram Seth is a Phd in Economics from Stanford.

And that's my quota of randomness for tonight Smile


scoutfinch

Posts : 14
Join date : 2012-04-12
Location : India

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: share a totally random fact

Post by charvaka on Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:27 pm

scoutfinch wrote:Vikram Seth is a Phd in Economics from Stanford.
I don't think he ever finished the PhD.

charvaka

Posts : 4347
Join date : 2011-04-28
Location : Berkeley, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: share a totally random fact

Post by Propagandhi711 on Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:34 pm

I have three, quite long scars on my body, two on right leg from surgery and one on lower belly from accident. this I believe is random and totally new news. other stale news has been omitted from this post.

Propagandhi711

Posts : 6592
Join date : 2011-04-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: share a totally random fact

Post by scoutfinch on Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:51 pm

charvaka wrote:
scoutfinch wrote:Vikram Seth is a Phd in Economics from Stanford.
I don't think he ever finished the PhD.

Oh? I didn't know that. Well, economics' loss is literature's gain!

scoutfinch

Posts : 14
Join date : 2012-04-12
Location : India

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: share a totally random fact

Post by charvaka on Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:00 pm

scoutfinch wrote:
charvaka wrote:
scoutfinch wrote:Vikram Seth is a Phd in Economics from Stanford.
I don't think he ever finished the PhD.

Oh? I didn't know that. Well, economics' loss is literature's gain!
Indeed. I think he went to China to do some research for his PhD, but ended up switching from economics to medieval Chinese poetry. He translated three Chinese poets into English.

Here's his poem titled Research in Jiangsu Province:

The Yangtse flows on like brown tape.
The research forms take final shape,
Each figure like a laden boat
With white or madder sails afloat.

Float on, float on, O facts and facts,
Distilled compendia of past acts,
Reveal the Grand Design to me,
Flotilla of my PhD.

charvaka

Posts : 4347
Join date : 2011-04-28
Location : Berkeley, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: share a totally random fact

Post by scoutfinch on Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:06 pm

Very Happy Thanks, I enjoyed it. The trademark Seth irreverence is clearly in place.

My favorite is this one.

"Dubious"
Some men like Jack and some like Jill
I'm glad I like them both but still
I wonder if this freewheeling
Really is an enlightened thing,
Or is its greater scope a sign
Of deviance from some party line?
In the strict ranks of Gay and Straight
What is my status: Stray? Or Great?

scoutfinch

Posts : 14
Join date : 2012-04-12
Location : India

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: share a totally random fact

Post by Another Brick on Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:54 am

i am going to change my mach 3 razor after using it for 5 weeks (i shave eWWwwVVVrrrrY dDDDDay except Sunday) on Monday.

i have caught cold (yet again!) and as a result of that i may not add any ice cubes to my drink on Saturday.

i am allergic to eggs.

Another Brick

Posts : 1495
Join date : 2011-05-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: share a totally random fact

Post by Merlot Daruwala on Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:02 am

Another Brick wrote:i am going to change my mach 3 razor after using it for 5 weeks (i shave eWWwwVVVrrrrY dDDDDay except Sunday) on Monday.

i have caught cold (yet again!) and as a result of that i may not add any ice cubes to my drink on Saturday.

i am allergic to eggs.

No raise this year (atleast till Oct), I hear. My commiserations.

Merlot Daruwala

Posts : 4873
Join date : 2011-04-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: share a totally random fact

Post by Another Brick on Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:12 am

you are right. that's another fact. they are not even going to grow at a rate that the industry is witnessing/will witness. bad times ahead.

edit - nearly 30% bench. huge.

Another Brick

Posts : 1495
Join date : 2011-05-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: share a totally random fact

Post by Merlot Daruwala on Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:04 am

Welcome to the new normal.

Merlot Daruwala

Posts : 4873
Join date : 2011-04-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: share a totally random fact

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:53 am

Another Brick wrote: edit - nearly 30% bench. huge.

affraid 30% bench?! And we're cut to the bone...

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: share a totally random fact

Post by Another Brick on Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:13 am

yeah, that's the the media release says. someone (who is likely to know what he is talking about, a senior person) here said it is 35K.

Another Brick

Posts : 1495
Join date : 2011-05-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: share a totally random fact

Post by Kris on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:13 am

Another Brick wrote:manohar parrikar, the CM of Goa, did his engg (metallurgy) from IITB in 1978. he is the the first IITian CM in India.

christopher nolan assumed he would have to work for two months on the script of Inception but it took him 8 years to finish it.

padma lakshmi once approached me on the Mumbai airport and said "hey handsome, want to have idli-sambhar with me?" and i said "idli-sambhar, you say? i don't like idlis, so why don't you find someone else?"

random enough?

>>>I am the one who placed the plaque at Madras airport that KV is seeing red over. Except, I wanted people to learn Vietnamese, but misspelled as 'hindi'. My bad!

Kris

Posts : 5272
Join date : 2011-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: share a totally random fact

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:55 pm

Another Brick wrote:yeah, that's the the media release says. someone (who is likely to know what he is talking about, a senior person) here said it is 35K.

Ok diff scales altogether..,but still..,wow!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: share a totally random fact

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:52 pm

Random Fact #1709

The fear of being without a phone has a name!

source: psychofactz.com Wink

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: share a totally random fact

Post by pravalika nanda on Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:00 pm

charvaka wrote:
scoutfinch wrote:Vikram Seth is a Phd in Economics from Stanford.
I don't think he ever finished the PhD.

**thank you for the fact check: +1!

pravalika nanda

Posts : 2023
Join date : 2011-07-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: share a totally random fact

Post by pravalika nanda on Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:02 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:I have three, quite long scars on my body, two on right leg from surgery and one on lower belly from accident. this I believe is random and totally new news. other stale news has been omitted from this post.

oh my god, we could totally play, "guess which surgery?," but this is not the thread for that.

pravalika nanda

Posts : 2023
Join date : 2011-07-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: share a totally random fact

Post by pravalika nanda on Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:05 pm

i am allergic to eggs. [/quote]

** are you sure? has this been verified by immunologic testing or is this a conclusion you arrived at by yourself? cuz this is a facts thread, you know.

pravalika nanda

Posts : 2023
Join date : 2011-07-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: share a totally random fact

Post by Hellsangel on Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:10 pm

Hello, Janice!

Hellsangel

Posts : 13299
Join date : 2011-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: share a totally random fact

Post by pravalika nanda on Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:29 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Hello, Janice!

fact: it will not get you into my size zero (in regular) dress.

pravalika nanda

Posts : 2023
Join date : 2011-07-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: share a totally random fact

Post by Kumarg on Tue May 08, 2012 10:38 am

pravalika nanda wrote:i am allergic to eggs.

** are you sure? has this been verified by immunologic testing or is this a conclusion you arrived at by yourself? cuz this is a facts thread, you know.[/quote]


You don't need to verify an allergy by immunological testing. The severe adverse symptoms are proof enough.

Kumarg

Posts : 205
Join date : 2012-05-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: share a totally random fact

Post by Hellsangel on Tue May 08, 2012 11:29 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:Hello, Janice!

fact: it will not get you into my size zero (in regular) dress.
Yuck!

Hellsangel

Posts : 13299
Join date : 2011-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: share a totally random fact

Post by Guest on Tue May 08, 2012 11:32 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:Hello, Janice!

fact: it will not get you into my size zero (in regular) dress.

wait, will u be wearing it when he tries to get into that [size 0] dress?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: share a totally random fact

Post by Another Brick on Thu May 17, 2012 8:16 am

random fact of the forum:

eveWWWrrRRY dDDDay, we spell "EvvWWrrRY dDDDay" in diphpPPHarant Ddippharant manner.

Another Brick

Posts : 1495
Join date : 2011-05-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: share a totally random fact

Post by Guest on Mon May 21, 2012 7:21 pm

random fact # 164

During a 1956 speech for his campaign of de-Stalinization, Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev was asked by an unseen audience member why, as an advisor to the dictator, he had never stopped Stalin from committing his atrocities. Khrushchev immediately lashed out, “Who said that?” The room grew quiet. Khrushchev repeated his query to more silence, waited a beat, and then said, “Well, now you understand why.”

--brought to you by mental_floss!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

random fact # 17

Post by Guest on Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:08 pm

Cool pirat Cool



Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: share a totally random fact

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:13 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum