Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indian Engineers Build A Stronger Society With School Lunch Program

2 posters

Go down

Indian Engineers Build A Stronger Society With School Lunch Program Empty Indian Engineers Build A Stronger Society With School Lunch Program

Post by MulaiAzhagi Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:07 pm

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/04/06/149867092/indian-engineers-build-a-stronger-society-with-school-lunch-program

The Hindu group is still actively involved in the program. But the lunch program is now operated as a secular, public-private partnership, serving poor children of all backgrounds.

Government officials supply grain and other lunch ingredients at a discount, and provide a cash subsidy. Donors from India and around the world supply the rest.

"Feeding a child is not charity," says Shridhar Venkat, who directs the lunch program through the Akshaya Patra Foundation. He used to be a corporate executive. To him, a child like Suchitra is not a hungry 13-year-old girl in poverty. She's an opportunity, and giving her lunch is an investment. Tomorrow, an educated Suchitra could produce a huge return on that investment to her community, he said.

===> Look at the pictures of these lovely kids with bright smiles.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Indian Engineers Build A Stronger Society With School Lunch Program Empty Re: Indian Engineers Build A Stronger Society With School Lunch Program

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:11 pm

yeah i heard about this on my drive back home. awesome. thanks for posting the link.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Indian Engineers Build A Stronger Society With School Lunch Program Empty Re: Indian Engineers Build A Stronger Society With School Lunch Program

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:16 pm

i can tell you that what these kids are eating is way more nutritious
and less processed than what kids at my kid's school cafeteria get --
garbage basically. which is why we make it a point to pack them lunch
every day. shame on the american public schools for not being able to do
what this wonderful organization is doing in india.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down