Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

blue monk is not a whiskey

2 posters

Go down

blue monk is not a whiskey Empty blue monk is not a whiskey

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri May 11, 2012 4:56 pm

...but a piece of music by thelonious monk, and one way to end the week on an inspiring note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmhP1RgbrrY&feature=relatedool

monk, btw, is the pianist. i've heard that vijay iyer, about whom max has posted here, and now a star on the jazz piano horizon, draws inspiration from monk.

the cool jazz musician performs his solo and withdraws quietly to his corner - see charlie rouse, the tenor saxophonist at 3:08 to 3:20 - until he's needed again.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

blue monk is not a whiskey Empty Re: blue monk is not a whiskey

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri May 11, 2012 7:07 pm

i always enjoy listening to blue monk. it's been a favorite of mine too for a very long time. speaking of iyer, his trio either has a new album out or has one that is about to be released. there are some excerpts available on youtube and i like what i've heard so far, although i've only just begun exploring it. i may post some clips that i think are really great later.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 15, 2012 9:55 am

100 times:

blue monk is not a rum

blue monk is not a rum

blue monk is not a rum

blue monk is not a rum

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue May 15, 2012 10:21 am

keeping with the spirit (pun unintended) of spirits, here is another fabulously swinging monk number, straight no chaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwfA59_6RFM&feature=related

to say you want something straight no chaser is to say you want the drink served neat.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue May 15, 2012 2:11 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:keeping with the spirit (pun unintended) of spirits, here is another fabulously swinging monk number, straight no chaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwfA59_6RFM&feature=related

to say you want something straight no chaser is to say you want the drink served neat.
that's a beaut. some Qs:

1. why do bassists look like nerds?

2. speaking of puns, did you miss my thread titled "a whole lota fun," partly on the south asian love affair with the lota?

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue May 15, 2012 9:07 pm

i know what you mean about nerdy bassists, but vijay iyer's bassist stephan crump looks distinctly non-nerdy, but his drummer marcus gilmore looks very nerdy. btw gilmore's grandfather roy haynes who is from around these parts is also a huge name in jazz drums. he has performed and recorded with every big name band leaders of the second half of the twentieth century. iyer is lucky to have gilmore in his band. his propulsive drumming is in no small measure central to the success of the trio.

i did read the MLID threads. some of the posts are funny and sometimes sad and always quite revealing of modern indian american life. i can only hope my kids don't caricature me like that.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue May 15, 2012 10:00 pm

thelonious monk: an ode to a sphere.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content