Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OCI and Indian Visa

+2
Maria S
Petrichor
6 posters

Go down

OCI and Indian Visa Empty OCI and Indian Visa

Post by Guest Sat May 12, 2012 10:24 am

The US passports of my sons expired. They have OCIs too. The old passports have indian visas. Should we get the indian visa stamped on the new one too? Is it even necessary coz they have the OCI? Tried to google. Didn't find an answer yet. Do you guys have any idea?

Back to top Go down

OCI and Indian Visa Empty Re: OCI and Indian Visa

Post by Petrichor Sat May 12, 2012 10:33 am

I recently renewed my son's US visa and they sent back the old passport with the oci visa stamp. Plan to use that and probably be slapped in the wrist for any technicality at port of entry.

This question is of interest to me, as well.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat May 12, 2012 10:39 am

*It is not necessary for Adults.*But, always carry the Old US Passports with the Indian Visa stamps while traveling to India, if the New US Passport does not have the stamp. May be a good idea to get the stamp every 10 years in the new passports.

A friend who did not have the old US passport with the Indian OCI stamp..and just had the OCI booklet, was given a hard time at Chennai Airport, but it was eventually resolved.

I am not sure about young children..since their US passports have to be renewed every 5 years. Would be good to check with the Indian Embassy.

Last edited by Maria S on Sat May 12, 2012 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat May 12, 2012 10:39 am

kinnera wrote:The US passports of my sons expired. They have OCIs too. The old passports have indian visas. Should we get the indian visa stamped on the new one too? Is it even necessary coz they have the OCI? Tried to google. Didn't find an answer yet. Do you guys have any idea?

>>>Yes! On dealings with the Indian bureaucracy, there is no such thing as being overcautious. Lat time in India, the guy at the airport pointed out to some technicality in my PIO card, after I had used it about 7 times.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Sat May 12, 2012 10:59 am

*son's US passport (not visa)

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Sat May 12, 2012 6:10 pm

If you have Indian visas, you don't need OCI/PIO cards.
If you have OCI/PIO cards, you don't need Indian visa.

What's the confusion?

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 12, 2012 6:41 pm

Voting answers. Maria's sound the best. I guess, if you have oci, then old visa stamps don't matter.

So if I get this right, there is a oci stamp on some passport and an accompanying oci card. If the stamp is in the old passport, then carry both old and new passpotts plus the oci card upon travel.

I just did kids' PIO, and I vaguely remember reading stamping on new passports also as one of the offered services. So that's your option #2, but usually just carrying the two passports suffice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat May 12, 2012 7:31 pm

So if I get this right, there is a oci stamp on some passport and an accompanying oci card. If the stamp is in the old passport, then carry both old and new passpotts plus the oci card upon travel.

*Exactly.

The Indian Embassy issues the OCI card (which is a booklet- looks exactly like a little passport) and also stamps the US Passport with the Indian OCI stamp. When one renews their US passport (adults- every 10 years and children- every 5 years, it can be stamped again by the Indian Embassy).

One apparently has the choice of:

1)carrying the OCI booklet + Old US Passport with OCI visa stamp + New US passport

or

2) carrying the OCI booklet + currently valid US passport with the OCI stamp.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 12, 2012 9:08 pm

Maria S wrote:So if I get this right, there is a oci stamp on some passport and an accompanying oci card. If the stamp is in the old passport, then carry both old and new passpotts plus the oci card upon travel.

*Exactly.

The Indian Embassy issues the OCI card (which is a booklet- looks exactly like a little passport) and also stamps the US Passport with the Indian OCI stamp. When one renews their US passport (adults- every 10 years and children- every 5 years, it can be stamped again by the Indian Embassy).

One apparently has the choice of:

1)carrying the OCI booklet + Old US Passport with OCI visa stamp + New US passport

or

2) carrying the OCI booklet + currently valid US passport with the OCI stamp.

Thanks for the response Maria. I have the OCI booklet. The visa stamp in the old passport says just 'Visa', but it should be the 'OCI visa stamp' that you talked about because the OCI booklet and the visa stamp were done on the same day, with the same pic, etc.

I think I'll choose option 1) for now as I have less than two months to travel to India and don't want the passports to be stuck in the Indian embassy. But after I come back from India, will send the new passports for OCI visa stamping. Don't want to be hassled by carrying the old passport every time we travel to India.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 12, 2012 9:11 pm

Bittu wrote:If you have Indian visas, you don't need OCI/PIO cards.
If you have OCI/PIO cards, you don't need Indian visa.

What's the confusion?

That's what I thought. What's the purpose of an OCI card if I have to have the visa stamping in the passport too? But that doesn't seem to be the case. The crazy Indian diplomats may want to see the visa stamping in the passport too. Don't want to take chances.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Sat May 12, 2012 9:22 pm

kinnera wrote:
That's what I thought. What's the purpose of an OCI card if I have to have the visa stamping in the passport too? But that doesn't seem to be the case. The crazy Indian diplomats may want to see the visa stamping in the passport too. Don't want to take chances.

alright then. Take all your old passports, Indian ones too, H1B papers, F1 documents. Just in case. Better safe than sorry. You never know about these crazy indian diplomats.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat May 12, 2012 9:28 pm

You are welcome Kinnera.

I wanted to know if anything has changed..and looked up the website of the Consulate General of India, Houston:

http://www.cgihouston.org/

(Pretty much says the same thing I said)

http://www.cgihouston.org/OverseasCitizenship.html

Under Notice says:

NOTICE
While traveling to India OCI Card holders must carry the OCI Card as well as their nationality passport on which “U” Visa has been affixed. In case the OCI Card holder has obtained new passport after expiry of the validity of the passport on which “U” Visa had been affixed, he/she must carry both the old and the new passport along with the OCI Card for entry into India.

To transfer the visa to a new passport, apply for OCI Miscellaneous Services as per details on webpage. OCI Miscellaneous Services have been introduced for re-issue of OCI Registration Card and “U” Visa in case of new passport, loss or damage of OCI Registration Card/“U” Visa or changes in personal particulars.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 12, 2012 9:42 pm

Maria S wrote:You are welcome Kinnera.

I wanted to know if anything has changed..and looked up the website of the Consulate General of India, Houston:

http://www.cgihouston.org/

(Pretty much says the same thing I said)

http://www.cgihouston.org/OverseasCitizenship.html

Under Notice says:

NOTICE
While traveling to India OCI Card holders must carry the OCI Card as well as their nationality passport on which “U” Visa has been affixed. In case the OCI Card holder has obtained new passport after expiry of the validity of the passport on which “U” Visa had been affixed, he/she must carry both the old and the new passport along with the OCI Card for entry into India.

To transfer the visa to a new passport, apply for OCI Miscellaneous Services as per details on webpage. OCI Miscellaneous Services have been introduced for re-issue of OCI Registration Card and “U” Visa in case of new passport, loss or damage of OCI Registration Card/“U” Visa or changes in personal particulars.

Thanks very much Maria. Clears all the doubts now. How come neither my husband nor I find this piece of info! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Indianvisa Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:30 am

I suppose you may as well contact to masters. My companion get India visa moment through http://www.indianvisa.info/. Extremely quick and fulfill administrations, I suppose they might as well help you to get Indian Visa

Indianvisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:53 am

kinnera wrote:The US passports of my sons expired. They have OCIs  too. The old passports have indian visas. Should we get the indian visa stamped on the new one too? Is it even necessary coz they have the OCI? Tried to google. Didn't find an answer yet. Do you guys have any idea?
Send the new US passport along with the Old US passport(that has the OCI stamp) AND the OCI card. Fill out a simple form and pay $15 or so fee. They will TRANSFER the OCI stamp to the new US passport and return it along with the OCI card.

Then no problem for 10 yrs. - they just need ot carry the new us passport with the OCI stamp + OCI card.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down