Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stumbling on HAPPINESS

5 posters

Go down

Stumbling on HAPPINESS  Empty Stumbling on HAPPINESS

Post by Guest Fri May 18, 2012 2:00 pm

By Daniel Gilbert.

Have to pass time until 4:30 pm before we could pick pio, so sat in a nearby Barnes and Noble and picked up this one. After foreword and 9 pages into it, am already loving it. Will read more next 2-3 hours and buy it if I'm still loving it.

Do look it up if not already. Share notes if you have already read it, or whenever you read it.

Ciao.

Back to top Go down

Stumbling on HAPPINESS  Empty Re: Stumbling on HAPPINESS

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri May 18, 2012 2:07 pm

it will help you win the nobel prize.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri May 18, 2012 6:15 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:By Daniel Gilbert.

Have to pass time until 4:30 pm before we could pick pio, so sat in a nearby Barnes and Noble and picked up this one. After foreword and 9 pages into it, am already loving it. Will read more next 2-3 hours and buy it if I'm still loving it.

Do look it up if not already. Share notes if you have already read it, or whenever you read it.

Ciao.

is this a pop psychology or self help book? i despise all pop psych and self help books that americans seem to devour. the only people whose mental state improves through this exercise are the authors who rake it in.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri May 18, 2012 7:43 pm

I like the following pop psych self help books:

1. Dale Carnegie - how to win blah blah
2. Covey - 7 habits
3. Chip Heath - Switch
4. Robert Cialdini - Influence
5. Lawley & Tompkins - Metaphors in Mind

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Kumarg Sun May 20, 2012 3:12 am

What is wrong with pop Sych or self-help books? I guess if you have never been in need of self help you may not appreciate their values.

Apart, the reason why more Americans (Westerners) seem to devour these books is that they are inherently materialistic, depressed lot, they have no religion, no moral core to look upto- so when faced with challenges, they have no option but to turn to these types of books.

Kumarg

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun May 20, 2012 8:57 am

Did not really stumble into this book, was well displayed in a bookstore..scanned through it, was easy reading, and a decent feel good book. I do think self-help books are quite helpful to many people (people constantly look for good teachers- no matter how old they are)..and they can be used as tools for reinforcing what we already know.

Of course, what we know is from many sources- wise family members, teachers, mentors, good orators, of course- the great religious books, which are life guides and have many concepts about daily living in common (which self help books are really based on).There is nothing really new, yet they are helpful.

Speaking of happiness, seems like it's often being proactive than reactive - creating happy moments, taking ordinary moments and reshaping them, and imperfect/less than ideal situations and experiencing some perfectly happy moments! "Mutual" effort enhances it..but, can't force anyone to "deliver" happiness:D or expect anyone to meet all expectations.

When it comes to relationships..who we meet is certainly is about stumbling into destiny! What is meant to be, will be- imo.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 20, 2012 9:09 am

Kumarg wrote:What is wrong with pop Sych or self-help books?

because i've tried some of them including the much trumpeted seven habits of highly defective people and found them completely useless. the reason they are useless IMO is because life's challenges are unique, and any generalizations about them are bound to be meaningless.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun May 20, 2012 9:32 am

I have not read this book..any book which has a "specific number" in its title (duh! It's a give away right there!) when it comes to dealing with people is useless for the most part.

*But, I know people who liked it and talk about it all the time, esp. in any Human Resources, Business Organization workshops. Different motivations/inspiration for different people!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sun May 20, 2012 10:58 am

Kumarg wrote:What is wrong with pop Sych or self-help books? I guess if you have never been in need of self help you may not appreciate their values.

Apart, the reason why more Americans (Westerners) seem to devour these books is that they are inherently materialistic, depressed lot, they have no religion, no moral core to look upto- so when faced with challenges, they have no option but to turn to these types of books.

thus spake the man hailing from the rape capital of the world.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down