Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hindi advertisement in Tamil newspaper

+4
Ponniyin Selvan
Jeremiah Mburuburu
Idéfix
Kayalvizhi
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Hindi advertisement in Tamil newspaper  - Page 2 Empty Re: Hindi advertisement in Tamil newspaper

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 1:13 pm

panini press wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:now they teach only up to class 10.
Why are they shortening the Common Thread? What do they have against janevus? Is this a conspiracy against Hinduism Hindiism?

if you are interested read the rest of my complicated post. else, ignore it. i have a lot to say about education in india right now -- the state of affairs -- and i'd like to make a long winded post when i get time. right now i am going to confine my post to the question you have raised.

ISC is an anglo-indian board. for several years there has been talk of merging ISC with CBSE. this anglo-indian board, ISC, hitherto patronized by missionary schools, now has takers in non-religious schools and is all pervasive. ISC, or it's regulating anglo-indian body, has regulations in place that schools that run under its stewardship need to conform to. hindi was mandatory in my ISC curriculum but my older was spared of learning sahitya in 11 & 12. in effect, ISC board thinks that a working knowledge of hindi (or the 2nd language of your choice) is sufficient. this is not to say that that there aren't ISC schools where hindi is mandatory in classes 11 & 12. it is up to the schools. you will find ISC school students with scores in 7 subjects -- some in 6!

CBSE (read prachar sabha) still has hindi mandatory in its curriculum. i think now CBSE needs ISC more than the other way around. time will tell.

Back to top Go down

Hindi advertisement in Tamil newspaper  - Page 2 Empty Re: Hindi advertisement in Tamil newspaper

Post by Idéfix Fri May 25, 2012 10:25 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
panini press wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:now they teach only up to class 10.
Why are they shortening the Common Thread? What do they have against janevus? Is this a conspiracy against Hinduism Hindiism?

if you are interested read the rest of my complicated post. else, ignore it. i have a lot to say about education in india right now -- the state of affairs -- and i'd like to make a long winded post when i get time. right now i am going to confine my post to the question you have raised.

ISC is an anglo-indian board. for several years there has been talk of merging ISC with CBSE. this anglo-indian board, ISC, hitherto patronized by missionary schools, now has takers in non-religious schools and is all pervasive. ISC, or it's regulating anglo-indian body, has regulations in place that schools that run under its stewardship need to conform to. hindi was mandatory in my ISC curriculum but my older was spared of learning sahitya in 11 & 12. in effect, ISC board thinks that a working knowledge of hindi (or the 2nd language of your choice) is sufficient. this is not to say that that there aren't ISC schools where hindi is mandatory in classes 11 & 12. it is up to the schools. you will find ISC school students with scores in 7 subjects -- some in 6!

CBSE (read prachar sabha) still has hindi mandatory in its curriculum. i think now CBSE needs ISC more than the other way around. time will tell.
Thanks, that's informative. Do post at length -- I for one am interested in learning more about what's happening with education in India.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Fri May 25, 2012 11:01 pm

panini press wrote:Thanks, that's informative. Do post at length -- I for one am interested in learning more about what's happening with education in India.

There are other boards too. There is this international board (CIS) or IGCSE which follows the Cambridge syllabus. where the second language can be French / Spanish / German or Hindi.

BTW, this piece of news is real. It came in dinathanthi - May 24 - page 7.

http://www.dailythanthi.com/thanthiepaper/firstpage.aspx

you need to register and then check the earlier editions.

Total waste of government money.

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat May 26, 2012 12:10 am

>> this piece of news is real. It came in dinathanthi - May 24 - page 7.

Thanks PS.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat May 26, 2012 12:15 am

>>Total waste of government money

The same Hindian Railways placed Hindi ads in Tamil news papers in 2006 too. At that time Dr. Thanjai Nalankilli expolained the reason for those hindi ads.

"Now it all makes sense and we understand the reason. The purpose of those Hindi advertisements is not to tell readers about Southern Railways' services and induce them to travel more by train, the purpose is to throw Hindi at their faces. The Hindi politicians who dominate and thus control the Indian Government [Reference 1] are very unhappy that Tamil people oppose Hindi as India's official language and that Tamilnadu State controlled schools do not teach Hindi. So they are throwing Hindi at our faces through Hindi advertisements and other means (Hindi television programs, Hindi drug labels, etc.) Another purpose is to immerse Tamil people in Hindi until they choke in it."

I don't remember the URL. It is an interesting article. Here is title. Google for it
Hindi Advertisements in Tamil Newspapers: Does it Make Sense?

www.google.com

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 26, 2012 2:19 am

Ponniyin Selvan wrote:

good job!

Kayalvizhi wrote:"Now it all makes sense and we understand the reason. The purpose of those Hindi advertisements is not to tell readers about Southern Railways' services and induce them to travel more by train, the purpose is to throw Hindi at their faces.

the blame rests wiith dinathanthi as much as with indian railways. they should not have carried this ad -- corporate greed should not overwhelm professional ethics. not to long ago siddharth varadarajan, editor, the hindu, publicly apologized for running a full page cover ad of a TN politician prostrating before sonia gandhi and promised that such ads would not be repeated.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat May 26, 2012 3:05 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Ponniyin Selvan wrote:

good job!

Kayalvizhi wrote:"Now it all makes sense and we understand the reason. The purpose of those Hindi advertisements is not to tell readers about Southern Railways' services and induce them to travel more by train, the purpose is to throw Hindi at their faces.

the blame rests wiith dinathanthi as much as with indian railways. they should not have carried this ad -- corporate greed should not overwhelm professional ethics. not to long ago siddharth varadarajan, editor, the hindu, publicly apologized for running a full page cover ad of a TN politician prostrating before sonia gandhi and promised that such ads would not be repeated.

>>>I see businesses as amoral, bound presumably only by the diktats of the law or the market (and in countries like India, political pressure). The publication did it simply because they got the money. The Railways was dumb or indifferent about the wasted money, inasmuch as the bang for the buck would be nonexistent to minimal in this case. Then again, this is the gov't where accountability is not high on the agenda. DT will likely change its tune now that there is a political angle with Karunanidhi in the picture. Of course, if there is noise from its readership seeing this is an affront to their sensibilities, that could effect change too. I don't know the ground realities, but if I were to make an educated guess, I doubt they will lose sleep over this ad as affecting the well-being of Tamil.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 26, 2012 3:10 am

Kris wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Ponniyin Selvan wrote:

good job!

>>>I see businesses as amoral, bound presumably only by the diktats of the law or the market (and in countries like India, political pressure). The publication did it simply because they got the money. The Railways was dumb or indifferent about the wasted money, inasmuch as the bang for the buck would be nonexistent to minimal in this case. Then again, this is the gov't where accountability is not high on the agenda. DT will likely change its tune now that there is a political angle with Karunanidhi in the picture. Of course, if there is noise from its readership seeing this is an affront to their sensibilities, that could effect change too. I don't know the ground realities, but if I were to make an educated guess, I doubt they will lose sleep over this ad as affecting the well-being of Tamil.

Isn't that Karunanidhi quote from 2006?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat May 26, 2012 3:13 am

blabberwock wrote:
Kris wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Ponniyin Selvan wrote:

good job!

>>>Which one? DT being partly to blame?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 26, 2012 3:18 am

Kris wrote:
blabberwock wrote:
Kris wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Ponniyin Selvan wrote:

good job!

I thought Karunanidhi's comments on hindi ads in Tamil paper was made in 2006. Anyway, whatever!

https://such.forumotion.com/t6429-i-do-not-lie#50632

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat May 26, 2012 3:23 am

blabberwock wrote:
Kris wrote:
blabberwock wrote:
Kris wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

good job!

I thought Karunanidhi's comments on hindi ads in Tamil paper was made in 2006. Anyway, whatever!

https://such.forumotion.com/t6429-i-do-not-lie#50632

>>> I didn't know this had been going on for 6 years now..KV, I am sure can enlighten

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat May 26, 2012 3:23 am

>> this ad as affecting the well-being of Tamil.

It does not. I reaaly don't care about the ad.

It tells the mentality of the Hindi politicians and IAS officers who ordered the ad. They are not fools. They know that it does not serce the purpose of an ad. If they want to tell aboIut thr railways to thinathanthi readers, ad will be in Tamil. The purpose is the arrogance to show Tamil people who is ther boss. I am Hindian and I can publish Hindi ad in your largest circulating newspaper.

The same mentality that compels drug companies to print labels in Hindi and English but no Tamil Same mentality that announces in Hindi and English in Air India flights between Coimbatore and Chennai but no Tamil.

Do you know "Doordharsan regional channels within Tamil Nadu broadcast more Hindi movies than Tamil movies +.

Dr. Thanjai Nalankilli says "

It is this kind of arrogant, single-minded, concerted efforts by the Indian Government to impose Hindi on Tamil Nadu by hook and by crook, directly and indirectly, overtly and covertly that is further building resentment among Tamil people. One day that resentment could burst like a fire breathing volcano. "

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat May 26, 2012 3:27 am

>> I thought Karunanidhi's comments on hindi ads in Tamil paper was made in 2006. Anyway, whatever!

Yes there was an ad in 2006 also and Karunanidhi said that it hurts Tamil sentiments. But the quote "
Now it all makes sense and we understand the reason. The purpose of those Hindi advertisements is not to tell readers about Southern Railways' services and induce them to travel more by train, the purpose is to throw Hindi at their faces. The Hindi politicians who dominate and thus control the Indian Government [Reference 1] are very unhappy that Tamil people oppose Hindi as India's official language and that Tamilnadu State controlled schools do not teach Hindi. So they are throwing Hindi at our faces through Hindi advertisements and other means (Hindi television programs, Hindi drug labels, etc.) Another purpose is to immerse Tamil people in Hindi until they choke in it. " is from a 2007 Tamil Trubune article.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 26, 2012 3:34 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:>> I thought Karunanidhi's comments on hindi ads in Tamil paper was made in 2006. Anyway, whatever!

Yes there was an ad in 2006 also and Karunanidhi said that it hurts Tamil sentiments. But the quote "
Now it all makes sense and we understand the reason. The purpose of those Hindi advertisements is not to tell readers about Southern Railways' services and induce them to travel more by train, the purpose is to throw Hindi at their faces. The Hindi politicians who dominate and thus control the Indian Government [Reference 1] are very unhappy that Tamil people oppose Hindi as India's official language and that Tamilnadu State controlled schools do not teach Hindi. So they are throwing Hindi at our faces through Hindi advertisements and other means (Hindi television programs, Hindi drug labels, etc.) Another purpose is to immerse Tamil people in Hindi until they choke in it. " is from a 2007 Tamil Trubune article.

Oh.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat May 26, 2012 3:49 am

>> this ad as affecting the well-being of Tamil.

It does not. I reaaly don't care about the ad.

>>>>Good, we are getting somewhere.

It tells the mentality of the Hindi politicians and IAS officers who ordered the ad. They are not fools.

>>>>No, they are fools. Either that or they are indifferent about gov't money, more likely the latter, when you are playing with others' money.

They know that it does not serce the purpose of an ad. If they want to tell aboIut thr railways to thinathanthi readers, ad will be in Tamil. The purpose is the arrogance to show Tamil people who is ther boss. I am Hindian and I can publish Hindi ad in your largest circulating newspaper.

>>>>The fact that you are dignifying this shows that you are playing the role of a supplicant. Let's say some guy at your local farmer's market insists on speaking to you in spanish, do you stand there and pick a fight with him because you don't know spanish or ignore him and walk away? If you do the former, you are letting him set the rules of the game and are implicitly playing a subordinate role.

The same mentality that compels drug companies to print labels in Hindi and English but no Tamil Same mentality that announces in Hindi and English in Air India flights between Coimbatore and Chennai but no Tamil.

>>> I don't know what Air India uses and if they are not listening to their customers, those people should fly other airlines.

Do you know "Doordharsan regional channels within Tamil Nadu broadcast more Hindi movies than Tamil movies +.

Dr. Thanjai Nalankilli says

>>>>Are there people wanting to watch these movies? If yes, they are doing what is good for their business. If no, they are idiotic business managers. Outside of you and this TN you keep quoting, I have never heard in TN anyone feel this heavy hand of "Hindian" oppression. To most people, this is not even a peripheral issue . I hate to break this to you, there is no volcano about to explode except in your mind. There is no prevalent sentiment of breaking away from India and creating a greater eealam. Even Karunanidhi, who at times is your hero and at other times, the devil incarnate himself (in your mind) has done well for himself and his minions in playing the indian political game. You really are not going to find any takers for this cause.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat May 26, 2012 3:56 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:>> I thought Karunanidhi's comments on hindi ads in Tamil paper was made in 2006. Anyway, whatever!

>>>>Wait. When was the hindi ad published and when was Karunanidhi's protest? The coins are not adding up here. I thought MK had protested this recently after a recent ad.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat May 26, 2012 10:46 am

>>>>Wait. When was the hindi ad published and when was Karunanidhi's protest? The coins are not adding up here. I thought MK had protested this recently after a recent ad.

Let me set the time schedule,

In 2006 there were Hindi ads in Tamil news paPers. AIADMK cried fould because Karunanidhi was in power. Karunanidhi did not criticize India but said it hurts Tamil sentiments (this was 2006).

Now again Hindi ad in Thinathanthi in 2012. So far no comment from Karunanidi. He will keep quiet unles Jayalalthaa scold him. That is always the case with this traitor.

If he make too much noise, kanimoli may go back to dungeon

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat May 26, 2012 10:56 am

>> I hate to break this to you, there is no volcano about to explode except in your mind. There is no prevalent sentiment of breaking away from India

How ignorant you are about mass psch. There was no cry against Mubarak. In jail. No cry against Kadafi. Now in grave.

There was no mass rallies for bangladesh freedom. Then it hapened.

I talk to people around TN. I know the sentiments. There is hatred against not only Hindi but Hindians.

Some top politicians hav told me privately that they support TN indep.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat May 26, 2012 1:30 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:>> ...s.

Some top politicians hav told me privately that they support TN indep.

>>> Tanji? Sure thing. Make sure your stamps are colorful when you form the new country.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2