Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Admin can see your IP address

+6
MaxEntropy_Man
CroMagnon
gsip
Rekz
Hellsangel
charvaka
10 posters

Go down

Admin can see your IP address Empty Admin can see your IP address

Post by charvaka Wed May 18, 2011 5:01 am

I have just discovered a way by which I can see the IP address from which any post came in. If you use DHCP, that will be the dynamic IP that your ISP assigns you, so it won't be personally identifiable. But it is still something you ought to know that I can see.

In order to keep this from resulting in misuse, I am going to do the following:

• Make the Admin account "visible to users" when logged in. That way, you can always tell when the Admin last logged in.
  • Keep my logins as Admin to a bare minimum.
If you have any comments, concerns or suggestions, please make them here. I will keep this as a sticky so that all users get to see this the next time they are here.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Admin can see your IP address Empty Re: Admin can see your IP address

Post by charvaka Wed May 18, 2011 5:04 am

If you want to know when I last logged in as Admin, go to this page and look for "last visit." https://such.forumotion.com/u1stats
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 6:06 am

How to hide your IP from forumotion.com

you can use a web proxy or ip cloak that directs all traffic from your ip through their proxy server. so, though i am posting from india, my IP will appear to forumotion.com as being of that of someone in georgia (if i am using the proxy).

there are paid IP proxies on the net. for example this: http://www.hide-my-ip.com/download.shtml

paid proxies have IPs that are not blacklisted by sites susceptible to vandalism (like wikipedia.com). forumotion.com has no blacklist.

there are also free proxies. for example, go to this site: http://hidemyass.com/proxy/ and type https://such.forumotion.com/f1-coffeehouse-main in the box and start surfing anonymously. register an id and post away. your IP will always show you as being in texas (if you live in texas...hard luck! try another free web proxy).

to check if it works, type http://www.whatismyip.com/ in the box and see your IP for yourself.

to double check if it works, use the above proxy, register, post and give a blue flower to the admin (look in the emoticons menu). the admin will tell you your IP as he sees it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 9:28 am

yaar, IP address hai, koi SSN to nahi...

btw, even if I knew someone's SSN, I would have NO idea how to abuse that information...

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed May 18, 2011 11:52 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:How to hide your IP from forumotion.com

you can use a web proxy or ip cloak that directs all traffic from your ip through their proxy server. so, though i am posting from india, my IP will appear to forumotion.com as being of that of someone in georgia (if i am using the proxy).

there are paid IP proxies on the net. for example this: http://www.hide-my-ip.com/download.shtml

paid proxies have IPs that are not blacklisted by sites susceptible to vandalism (like wikipedia.com). forumotion.com has no blacklist.

there are also free proxies. for example, go to this site: http://hidemyass.com/proxy/ and type https://such.forumotion.com/f1-coffeehouse-main in the box and start surfing anonymously. register an id and post away. your IP will always show you as being in texas (if you live in texas...hard luck! try another free web proxy).

to check if it works, type http://www.whatismyip.com/ in the box and see your IP for yourself.

to double check if it works, use the above proxy, register, post and give a blue flower to the admin (look in the emoticons menu). the admin will tell you your IP as he sees it.
Thanks for posting this. I will also check with the site owners whether it is possible to disable IP logging by post.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed May 18, 2011 11:56 am

charvaka wrote:
Thanks for posting this. I will also check with the site owners whether it is possible to disable IP logging by post.

I don't think you have to go to great pains for this. I am not sure how many people are really worried about this. Those who are worried have steadfastly refused to join this forum.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Wed May 18, 2011 11:57 am

IP address- is that a major concern here?
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Wed May 18, 2011 12:03 pm

[quote="Hellsangel"]
charvaka wrote:

I don't think you have to go to great pains for this. I am not sure how many people are really worried about this. Those who are worried have steadfastly refused to join this forum.[/quote

But i see very few posts...it's not that active here...esp after the thread about IP address
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by gsip Wed May 18, 2011 12:33 pm

naat al proxu sites good. spyware and popups

gsip

Back to top Go down

Post by gsip Wed May 18, 2011 12:35 pm

charvaka wrote:I have just discovered a way by which I can see the IP address from which any post came in. If you use DHCP, that will be the dynamic IP that your ISP assigns you, so it won't be personally identifiable. But it is still something you ought to know that I can see.

In order to keep this from resulting in misuse, I am going to do the following:

• Make the Admin account "visible to users" when logged in. That way, you can always tell when the Admin last logged in.
  • Keep my logins as Admin to a bare minimum.
If you have any comments, concerns or suggestions, please make them here. I will keep this as a sticky so that all users get to see this the next time they are here.

dis is gud. you login zero time now.

gsip

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed May 18, 2011 12:36 pm

gsip wrote:
dis is gud. you login zero time now.
And Singh is king!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Wed May 18, 2011 12:45 pm

Hellsangel wrote:I don't think you have to go to great pains for this. I am not sure how many people are really worried about this.
I think he should try to get that feature disabled if possible. Personally, people know within a 100 yds. of where I live, so I'm not worried about C knowing my IP and hence the company I work for.

It is still a privacy concern and every effort should be made to address it.
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 1:17 pm

gsip wrote:naat al proxu sites good. spyware and popups

gsip, you can type in english. as it is, we don't read or understand english very well. so nothing lost.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 1:23 pm

CroMagnon wrote:It is still a privacy concern and every effort should be made to address it.

agreed 100%. if something can be done, great! if nothing can be done...well then the user has to decide whether to participate in web forums* at all and not this forum per se.

* including wikipedia.com. even after you register there and start using a user name (in place of your IP -- that is by default used to identify you as an anon. contributor), users can find your ip. they maintain syslogs and have trace ip features that are accessible to all.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed May 18, 2011 1:56 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
charvaka wrote:

I don't think you have to go to great pains for this. I am not sure how many people are really worried about this. Those who are worried have steadfastly refused to join this forum.

anybody should be worried a lot if it was you managing the forums.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 2:09 pm

LOL. agreed 100%.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed May 18, 2011 2:25 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
anybody should be worried a lot if it was you managing the forums.
Il Professore, you seem to be worried even when I am not managing the forums.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 8:25 pm

I was initially surprised to note that Admin here did not have those obvious privileges since a similar forum I used to be part of gave the Admin all these and more. Even blogs record the IP addresses and the show the visitor stats.

In addition to the IP address in posts, a "who's online" through the Admin panel will also show the IP addresses of all those logged in at that time, inlcuding the guests. As a well-wisher of the guests visiting us from the old base, constantly wondering if they are OK, I feel that they must know this.

http://help.forumotion.com/ gives all the details of what an admin or a moderator can/cannot do.

I fully trust Carvaka and do not have any reasons to doubt that he will misuse this information.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed May 18, 2011 8:40 pm

blabberwock wrote:IAs a well-wisher of the guests visiting us from the old base, constantly wondering if they are OK, I feel that they must know this.
Twisted Evil
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed May 18, 2011 8:47 pm

charvaka wrote:
blabberwock wrote:As a well-wisher of the guests visiting us from the old base, constantly wondering if they are OK, I feel that they must know this.
Twisted Evil
BW, is dying to lay the welcome mat for some.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 8:59 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
charvaka wrote:
blabberwock wrote:As a well-wisher of the guests visiting us from the old base, constantly wondering if they are OK, I feel that they must know this.
Twisted Evil

You really shouldn't be commenting on other people and what they want to do, given your abysmal track record.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed May 18, 2011 9:56 pm

blabberwock wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
charvaka wrote:
Twisted Evil

You really shouldn't be commenting on other people and what they want to do, given your abysmal track record.

Abysmal track record in welcoming other people?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 10:06 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
blabberwock wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
charvaka wrote:
Twisted Evil

Abysmal track record in welcoming other people?

Look, I like creative and bombastic words, phrases and sentences like "hideous", "layers of deceptions", "alliance of antagonism" and the above line. I also like Deepak Chopra's sentences and I like to use these whenever I can. That does not mean that I am "dying to welcome" the relevant people on board.

Your track record? It should be obvious what I am referring to. I am sorry, while I may dislike a person and disagree with them on every count, I can never support someone revealing their and their family's private information as some sort of revenge. There are more mature ways to carry on battles.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed May 18, 2011 10:51 pm

blabberwock wrote:

Your track record? It should be obvious what I am referring to. I am sorry, while I may dislike a person and disagree with them on every count, I can never support someone revealing their and their family's private information as some sort of revenge. There are more mature ways to carry on battles.

I am looking neither for your support nor your permission. When said person likes to take potshots at publicly revealed information about others and makes hypocritical comments about, amongst others,what people of a certain generation are named, all bets are off.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 11:09 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
I am looking neither for your support nor your permission. When said person likes to take potshots at publicly revealed information about others and makes hypocritical comments about, amongst others,what people of a certain generation are named, all bets are off.

Oh, I have no respect for the said person as well. He has his ways of using private information and you have your ways and I find both repulsive. As I told Marathadi Saamiyar, it is just a matter of degree. I feel sorry only for the unrelated, innocent people who get dragged into this slugfest.

I know that you don't need my permission or support for anything - I am merely stating my opinion on the whole matter and certainly did not appreciate your comment on my motive for using a certain sentence.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed May 18, 2011 11:13 pm

blabberwock wrote:[ I am merely stating my opinion on the whole matter and certainly did not appreciate your comment on my motive for using a certain sentence.

That comment was made in jest, but you must be missing your humor bone. Or, maybe you need smileys to identify which comments were made in jest
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Admin can see your IP address Empty That is how Sandilya was caught in another forum

Post by sambarvada Wed May 18, 2011 11:23 pm

Sandilya used to participate in IndoLink forum.

He had a war going on with some Muslims who also posted in that forum.

Then he took a new handle "Abdul" and posted a message "I am a Muslim and I love India".

Then one of the Muslims in Indolink got suspicious and found out both Abdul and Sandilya had the same IP address.

sambarvada

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed May 18, 2011 11:29 pm

sambarvada wrote:Sandilya used to participate in IndoLink forum.

Then he took a new handle "Abdul" and posted a message "I am a Muslim and I love India".

Then one of the Muslims in Indolink got suspicious and found out both Abdul and Sandilya had the same IP address.

You don't always need an IP address to catch that. Remember Ha Ha Ha Kattabomman?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu May 19, 2011 9:17 am

sambarvada wrote:Sandilya used to participate in IndoLink forum.

Hahaha. I am not surprised at that unscrupulousness.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Admin can see your IP address Empty Doing Online High School Diploma

Post by sonyahall Wed May 23, 2012 9:27 am

Stanley
High School has years of online learning experience and takes pride in
providing quality education to all diploma holders of Stanley High School
from all across the globe. Stanley High School provides the perfect medium to
earn an accredited high school diploma for students who were not able to
continue with their education, home-school students or working adults.

Why choose Stanley High School?

1. Earn a High School Diploma: Customize your educational plans and
earn a diploma using 21st century technology.
2. Schedule with Flexibility: Complete courses at your own pace and
at times that best fit their daily schedules.
3. Recover Credit: Earn credits to get back on track for graduation
within your own school district. Enrollment is not dependent upon traditional
school calendars, so courses can be started at any time during the
year.
4. Apply Home School Credits: You can enroll in SHS and transfer
credits earned through home school study to our diploma program.
5. Prior to credits being awarded, courses must be submitted for review and
approval.
6. Select from Advanced or Remedial Courses: Choose courses that
meet your academic needs and support your learning style.
sonyahall
sonyahall

http://www.stanleyhighschool.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat May 26, 2012 11:43 pm

sonyahall wrote:
Stanley

year.
approval.

Thank you. I have been looking for information on GED.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun May 27, 2012 12:16 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
sonyahall wrote:
Stanley

year.
approval.

Thank you. I have been looking for information on GED.

>>>Marathadi,

After the march-september-march train, why keep up the insanity with this GED? Be happy with what you have, son!

Blessings,

"No-point- trying" Ananda

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down