Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

river themed songs

5 posters

Go down

river themed songs Empty river themed songs

Post by truthbetold Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:03 pm

Please post or provide links river themed songs - songs about rivers or river backgrounds or river cultures or anythingn that brings out the beauty of rivers. I am not sure i can post you tube songs successfully. "Nadiya chale chale re" from Safar kept ringing in my ear while i was gardening this morning. Hindi telugu tamil english - any language. Thanks ahead of time.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

river themed songs Empty Re: river themed songs

Post by truthbetold Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:10 pm

"Chingari koi" amar prem
"O majhe re" khusboo

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:15 pm

Vennello gOdaari andam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yiYUP7t-uw

vedam laa ghshinche gOdaavari (from 7:40). The song has a sanskrit verse in the middle. The first prabandham in Telugu, Nannaya's Bhaaratam, starts with that verse. The first line in the verse invokes the three mothers -- Saaraswati, Lakshmi, and Parvati.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkPFlHLucEo&feature=relmfu

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:33 pm

truthbetold wrote:Please post or provide links river themed songs - songs about rivers or river backgrounds or river cultures or anythingn that brings out the beauty of rivers. I am not sure i can post you tube songs successfully. "Nadiya chale chale re" from Safar kept ringing in my ear while i was gardening this morning. Hindi telugu tamil english - any language. Thanks ahead of time.

"Old man river" is the only one I can think of. Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:38 pm

Don't go chasing waterfalls
Please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to

Not exactly river themed, but one of my all time faves. Loved the music, lyrics, and the video.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:48 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:02 pm

Indo
special thanks. That little girl can sing." Kottuku poye Koti lingalu migili poye viresa lingam okatl chalu" Arudra at his best. Also that bit about nannayya's first padyam. Priceless info.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:56 pm

NR
as expected you delivered. Thanks.
"Sawan ki mahina" all time best. Great visuals of godavari.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:58 pm

Lata m - ganga mayya mei pani - suhaag raat
also has anuradha pudhwal's version
Side effect -.pollution remainder

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:11 am

TBT,

Oh..this is a great question!

I know lots of spiritual/religious songs..which associate river/river water..when we need encouragement. Since is this is a "secular" forum for the most part, will post a "mix".. few I like-including a few old tamil river-related songs:

1.Nadhi enge pogirathu ("Where is the river flowing to")

2. Kaveri oram ("On the banks of the river Kaveri")
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:18 am

Maria
thanks. I really enjoyed alan jackson's song. Now that is a real river themed song . Small time river with childhood memories. I have a feeling that i will hear about the muddy waters of TN a few more times.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:43 am

My pleasure TBT.

Glad you liked the Alan Jackson song..I like the song too, the Chattahoochee River (have adult holiday memories!) and of course Alan Jackson who is not bad looking for a Southern..Cowboy-man!

Seriously, I relate to river songs too..have childhood memories..especially the river Palar (in Vellore, TN)..used to cross the river every single day for many years..traveling from Katpadi Township to Vellore..used to have family picnics on the river banks - Now*as the Political River Wars rage between the Southern States..the river has dramatically changed with so many trees..can hardly recognize it myself! But, if anything River signifies "change"..to me as to others..

"All rivers, even the most dazzling, those that catch the sun in their course, all rivers go down to the ocean and drown. And life awaits man as the sea awaits the river."
Simone Schwarz-Bart
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:07 am

Maria S wrote:My pleasure TBT.

Glad you liked the Alan Jackson song..I like the song too, the Chattahoochee River (have adult holiday memories!)

Like what?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:10 am

truthbetold wrote: Also that bit about nannayya's first padyam. Priceless info.

There are other beautiful Telugu songs that include sanskrit verses of great poets. For example, the following song from Sagarasangamam starts with the first verse in Kalidasa's Raghuvamsam --- vagarthaviva

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:54 am

Like what?

_______

I did not say Adult "Activities"Smile Even if I did..a lady would never kiss and tell and respect the privacy of others as well!

Before..the imagination runs wild and people take it all seriously, meant "as an adult"..have nice memories of picnics/cook outs and get togethers arranged by friends and colleagues in the recreational areas close to the Chattahoochee River, esp. during holidays like Memorial day and July 4th.

I don't particularly going to the shopping centers- superstores, unless I have to buy something. Prefer going to water places..wish I lived close to a beach..really miss living in Chennai. I don't have the patience for fishing.. if I did I would go fishing with American friends and colleagues..who go to the rivers and lakes here (even ponds) on a regular basis.

I don't know why I forgot another great song by Garth Brooks "The River"..will post that.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down