Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

super singer junior -vijay TV - azhaghan muruganidam...

5 posters

Go down

super singer junior -vijay TV - azhaghan muruganidam... Empty super singer junior -vijay TV - azhaghan muruganidam...

Post by garam_kuta Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:26 am

in this contest, there is a little girl from here by name Praghathi who is in the top 10 amazes me with her singing talent and knowledge of thamizh, in the latest round she sang ázhghan muruganidam aasai vaiththaen ' with lots of intensity.

That aside a part of the lyrics of the second line kind of just did not fit in right for me ( at 1:04 and 1:20, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz0wDo6wPKw). I googled and all the sites (even the original lip movement in you tube) that I saw had the same line which I think is incorrect and did not make the best sense. Its a very nice bhakthi song on murugan a la aandal on krishna

I am curious about this line in bold.. en mandhai nerudiya vaarthaigal..poosai vaithaen.. poosai-i eppadi vaippadhu..is there another kind of usage in other dialects of thamizh or perhaps kanndAsan meant '"poosai saithaen'' and that makes sense; also fits in well with the poetry style structure etc.,

Could some one clarify this for me? thanks

the complete song is below - very moving lyrics

azhagan muruganidam aasai vaithaen
avan aalayathil anbu malar poosai vaithaen
annaL uravukkendrae udal eduthaen
avan aruLai peruvatharkae uyir vaLarthaen

pani peyyum maalaiyilae, pazhamuthircholaiyilae
pani peyyum maalaiyilae, pazhamuthircholaiyilae
kani koyyum veLayilae, kanni manam koiduvittan
paNirendu kaNazhagai paarthirunda peNazhagai
vaLaL thaan aaLa vandaan, peNmaiyai vazhavaithaan

malaimel iruppavano, mayil mel varubavano
meyyurugi paada vanthaal, thannaithaan tharubavano
alaimel thurumbaanaen, anal mel mezhugaanaen
alaimel thurumbaanaen, anal mel mezhugaanaen
ayyan kai thottavudan azhagukku azhagaanaen

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

super singer junior -vijay TV - azhaghan muruganidam... Empty Re: super singer junior -vijay TV - azhaghan muruganidam...

Post by Petrichor Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:35 am

poosai-kku vaithaen, perhaps? poetic license to drop some syllables? idea is that the flowers were kept in poosai.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

super singer junior -vijay TV - azhaghan muruganidam... Empty Re: super singer junior -vijay TV - azhaghan muruganidam...

Post by garam_kuta Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:19 am

atcg wrote:poosai-kku vaithaen, perhaps? poetic license to drop some syllables? idea is that the flowers were kept in poosai.

true..will get back to this later saar.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:28 am

My take:

*poosai/pooja= Worship+ *vaithaen=Kept =Kept Worshipping

"I kept worshipping in His temple with flowers of love?"

*I like this song..so the title got my attention:)
K.R.V and L.V look quite pretty!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a0rNJBS594

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:25 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
I am curious about this line in bold.. en mandhai nerudiya vaarthaigal..poosai vaithaen.. poosai-i eppadi vaippadhu..is there another kind of usage in other dialects of thamizh or perhaps kanndAsan meant '"poosai saithaen'' and that makes sense; also fits in well with the poetry style structure etc.,

It must be one of those rare mistakes made by Kannadasan in his over-the-limit drunken state.

There can be no other explanation for this "poosai VaithaEn" BS.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:32 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

It must be one of those rare mistakes made by Kannadasan in his over-the-limit drunken state.

Saamiyar,

Why! It makes sense to me..if anything questioning this line seems rather odd.

If one is going to question "poosai vaithaen"...why not question "aasai vaithaen" (should it not be "aasai pattaen"..and on and on)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:26 pm

garam_kuta wrote:

...over-the-limit drunken state - when artistic creativity explodes drunken sunny

however, I am surprised how it passed through the composers, the singer , etc., I mean KannadAsan didn't have the power to impose all that he wrote..

Also, it's rather uncharacteristic of him or most poets/writers to use the same word twice in successive lines; this i think somehow slipped through . i am reminded of the internal inconsistency of the 'kAlangaLiL avaL vasantham..mathangaLiL avaL mArghazhi' which we had discussed sometime ago..

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:58 pm

however, I am surprised how it passed through the composers, the singer , etc., I mean KannadAsan didn't have the power to impose all that he wrote..

Garam, may be because it made sense to them..like me:)

Also, it's rather uncharacteristic of him or most poets/writers to use the same word twice in successive lines; this i think somehow slipped through .

Actually, this is not atypical for the great Kannadasan. He has used the same word - even in the same line. I have seen him twice at college functions..and when he was asked what were his fav. songs..he mentioned "Parthaen, Sirithen"..and began singing the song..it was memorable..and he was sober and spoke with great clarity!

http://tamillyrics.blogspot.com/2005/03/paarthen-sirithen.html

A few lines:

Paarthen sirithen pakkathil azhaithen
Anru unaithen ena naan ninaithen
Andha malaithen idhuvena malaithen.

*Think he used the same words with different meanings- deliberately..

Not saying he was sober or perfect all the time!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:13 pm

Whoa!

Thanks to this discussion..I was looking up youtube for this song..and found this perfect clip..
Interestingly this Poet who analyzes his use of "slaydai" - creative use of words..also specifically mentions Kannadasan's drinking!

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:15 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:

...over-the-limit drunken state - when artistic creativity explodes drunken sunny

Also, it's rather uncharacteristic of him or most poets/writers to use the same word twice in successive lines; this i think somehow slipped through . i am reminded of the internal inconsistency of the 'kAlangaLiL avaL vasantham..mathangaLiL avaL mArghazhi' which we had discussed sometime ago..

The most obvious mistake of KudiKaran Kannadasan was the line ".....veedu varai Uravu, Veedhi varai Manaivi... " which should be ulta.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:45 pm

The most obvious mistake of KudiKaran Kannadasan was the line ".....veedu varai Uravu, Veedhi varai Manaivi... " which should be ulta.

===> One of my favorite songs.

Nobody could have sung that song better than TMS.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:53 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:The most obvious mistake of KudiKaran Kannadasan was the line ".....veedu varai Uravu, Veedhi varai Manaivi... " which should be ulta.

===> One of my favorite songs.

Nobody could have sung that song better than TMS.

Mine too Sara.

I am not going to say anything more to contradict Sober Saamiyar and Kara-sara Garam..today- and this is a nice thread!

http://indianfilmsongs.blogspot.com/2010/11/veedu-varai-uravu-paadha-kaanikkai.html

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down