Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Visit to the local Tamil Temple

2 posters

Go down

Visit to the local Tamil Temple Empty Visit to the local Tamil Temple

Post by Guest Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:31 pm

1. the temple itself was beautiful, clean, well maintained.
2. the cafetaria in a nearby building served south indian food but the cooks, from their conversation, were punjabis. I had the worst idlis in my life at this temple.
3. Just next to the cafetaria there is a library where there were many DVD movies--hindi,tamil,telugu,kannada, malayalam. many of these movies had provocative covers and i wondered whether it was appropriate to keep these in the temple premises. it seems this is not just a religious center but also a cultural center. i even saw some fruits and vegetables on sale inside the temple library and i thought this was unfortunate.

Back to top Go down

Visit to the local Tamil Temple Empty Re: Visit to the local Tamil Temple

Post by Guest Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:35 pm

Rashmun wrote:1. the temple itself was beautiful, clean, well maintained.
2. the cafetaria in a nearby building served south indian food but the cooks, from their conversation, were punjabis. I had the worst idlis in my life at this temple.
3. Just next to the cafetaria there is a library where there were many DVD movies--hindi,tamil,telugu,kannada, malayalam. many of these movies had provocative covers and i wondered whether it was appropriate to keep these in the temple premises. it seems this is not just a religious center but also a cultural center. i even saw some fruits and vegetables on sale inside the temple library and i thought this was unfortunate.

4. i bought an english translation of Andal's tamil poems and a DVD of the hindi movie 'Ghajini' starring Aamir Khan from the library.

5. Subramanya Bharati's tamil translation of the Gita was available on sale in the temple library. i have no wish to read his translation of the Gita, but i would have loved reading his introduction to the book. Unfortunately, this introduction was also in tamil. Someone should consider translating this introduction into english.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:10 pm

Rashmun wrote:

4. i bought an english translation of Andal's tamil poems and a DVD of the hindi movie 'Ghajini' starring Aamir Khan from the library.

5. Subramanya Bharati's tamil translation of the Gita was available on sale in the temple library. i have no wish to read his translation of the Gita, but i would have loved reading his introduction to the book. Unfortunately, this introduction was also in tamil. Someone should consider translating this introduction into english.

they also sell Akbarnama...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

you were quick to protest when QB started calling you Poopilli claiming that Uppili is the name of a Hindu God (actually Lord Krishna's elder brother) and the name should not be ridiculed by alteration. but now when i write a post about a Hindu temple you start talking of Akbarnama with a clear intention of ridiculing my Hindu religious beliefs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:24 pm

[quote="Rashmun"]
Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

you were quick to protest when QB started calling you Poopilli claiming that Uppili is the name of a Hindu God (actually Lord Krishna's elder brother) and the name should not be ridiculed by alteration. but now when i write a post about a Hindu temple you start talking of Akbarnama with a clear intention of ridiculing my Hindu religious beliefs.
[b]

So ????

Well...you are welcome to go to the open fields and take a Poopy break and gaze at the stars - QB iShtyle if you so admire her.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:26 pm

[quote="Marathadi-Saamiyaar"]
Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

[b]

So ????

Well...you are welcome to go to the open fields and take a Poopy break and gaze at the stars - QB iShtyle if you so admire her.

The point is that you are a hypocrite. you started whining when QB started calling you Poopilli claiming it is an insult to the Hindu God Uppili, but you have no problem with insulting my Hindu beliefs when you seek to ridicule me by talking of Akbarnama when i am talking about my experiences in a Hindu temple.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:43 am

[quote="Rashmun"]
Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

[b]

So ????

The point is that you are a hypocrite. you started whining when QB started calling you Poopilli claiming it is an insult to the Hindu God Uppili, but you have no problem with insulting my Hindu beliefs when you seek to ridicule me by talking of Akbarnama when i am talking about my experiences in a Hindu temple.

hahaha... Whining is your specialty... people can call me anything they want anytime - even in real life. I never really care....Razz

Try me....

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:20 am

I heard of hindu temple, jain temple, balaji temple and evrn a sai temple. Nevet heard of tamil temple or telugu temple or hindi temple. If such temples exist what do they do? Pray for a tamil book like in sikh gurudwara? Or do they pray for only tamil gods? If yes Kv would like to have some names?
please explain to us what is a tamil temple?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:04 am

truthbetold wrote:I heard of hindu temple, jain temple, balaji temple and evrn a sai temple. Nevet heard of tamil temple or telugu temple or hindi temple. If such temples exist what do they do? Pray for a tamil book like in sikh gurudwara? Or do they pray for only tamil gods? If yes Kv would like to have some names?
please explain to us what is a tamil temple?

in the temple library the vast majority of religious literature was in Tamil. There were also very few books in sanskrit and one book (a translation of Bhagawad Gita) in Hindi. The temple priests were Tamil.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down