Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bolne ka daam, dene ka daam: Hyderabadi women know the tango

4 posters

Go down

Bolne ka daam, dene ka daam: Hyderabadi women know the tango Empty Bolne ka daam, dene ka daam: Hyderabadi women know the tango

Post by Guest Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:58 pm

Hyderabad, January 13: It’s the Numaish time of the year. Yay! What’s Hyderabad without the Numaish and vice-versa?

Getting there

In the month of the Numaish, Nampally is war zone. They might want to film Survival here. The drive along Nizam Shahi Road (Exhibition Road, duhhh!) requires brains and brawns, no less, with the whole of Hyderabad and his uncle (with little Munni hanging from his pinky) making for Entry Gate No. 1. The name of the game is survival of the fittest. And they shall inherit the parking space. The meek will risk being bullied by the coupon guy. “Lock nakko karo, lock nakko karo” he’ll tell you as you squeeze your bike into the tightest space. You better not, for he’s king for a day.

The Karaoke Kop

On the approach roads, there’s a traffic cop who’s doing the karaoke on the megaphone and hitting on the demure girls crossing the street, whom he addresses as Babyji. Quite the g’man, he reminds the men gently, “Ladies first!” and lets women cross the road first.

The food

Numaish is not over until a visit to the food zone. Walk over to the chat bandis, which are living proof that it’s not only pizza counters that dish out execrable food. I read up one flashy banner advertising a plate of samosa ragada with a fancy name and paid for it. Then come the never-heard-of brands of ice-creams and then there’s the cotton candy, pink gargoyles that you eat up.

The crush

I thought I could lose myself in the Numaish. But then inside of 10 strides towards the chikankari stalls, I met my aunt’s friend’s cousin’s neighbour. She was going out and I in. She said she bought an orange bedsheet with green floral prints for fifty bucks. I think she just wanted me to be jealous. I also met the Alam family. I counted 23 of them. No kidding. No, no, a lot of kids in fact.

Once safely into the crush, the girls lift their veils and reveal Hyderabad’s stunning beauty. This is Hyderabad in microcosm: Girls buying Cinderella slippers, women haggling for kitchenware they’ll never use, kids slurping ice-cream with their noses and Uncle patting his backside to see if the purse has not been picked by a pickpocket or by Begum.

Kharidari

Numaish this time is playing host to about 2,500 stalls. A lot of the usual things, really: Kashmiri shawls from Himachal, lungis from Tirupur, psychedelic slippers from Cinderella and plastic kitchenware from Guangzhou. Bilkul asli hai, babyji. O babyji! But, sacchi mein, this year I found one beauty products stall from the Dead Sea! Amma thodu! Dude, we’re going international!

And Hyderabadi tehzeeb is at its best at the Numaish. The sales bhaiya at every stall makes you feel like you are a princess -- Babyji, O Babyji. And you can flaunt your jhatak with no risk of sniggers from that Jubilee Hills crowd. And I saw people carrying plastic bags of less than 40 microns without wanting to make a fashion statement with jhoot bags. Kaun measure karta, woh sab!

Bolne ka daam,dene ka daam

Fixed Rates Only? Nonsense. Every sale is a sensuous transaction between seller and buyer. Hyderabadi women know the tango. Step 1: walk in, looking uninterested. Step 2: Look bored and ask for the price. Step 3: Look shocked at price stated. Step 4: Divide state price by half and offer as olive branch. Step 5: Regardless of response, walk away. Babyji, O Babyji! Lelo. Sirf aapke liye.

Khana aur Khelna

Buying and haggling done, head over to the rides. Just follow the sound of the “dhinchak” music. The ride zone is like walking into a Shammi Kapoor movie. The kids are enjoying it but it’s the adults who are screaming. I Yam Lovin’ It. Beware of people puking on you, though.

http://www.siasat.com/english/news/numaish-time-hyderabad

Back to top Go down

Bolne ka daam, dene ka daam: Hyderabadi women know the tango Empty Re: Bolne ka daam, dene ka daam: Hyderabadi women know the tango

Post by Guest Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:43 pm

yeah, "dene ka daam bolo ji" is a pretty common line before the bargaining starts.

Nov 1st was Hyderabadi day. Here are some of the favorite hyderabadi phrases that some hydis contributed on FB. Most of it is guys' lingo though:

"Kaiku-ki-Kyaki"

" kya gurrre miya"

"Zindagi pehle lotha thi ... ab Chamboo ho gayi "

"unon bolo bolke bola kette"

"barkhaas biryani"

"Upar sherwani, andar pareshani"

"maa ki kirrkiri"

"Kaiku ki kya hai ki"

"Chup baitre haule!"

"haulfit hai kya re"

"Kya iflaas item hai miyaan"

"haula potta"

"Dil pe nakko lo yaaro"

"Light lo boss!"

"Kittha hua?"After getting off the auto rickshaw.

"Auto,
chaltey?", while getting in. And retorting with "Mereko jakey akey
jaana nai hai, sirif jaana hai" if he demands an obscene amount

"Abey malum mai kaun ho"

"Hao"

"hai ki nei ki"

"Kaiku Bhauran kora Be"

"sukhoon"

"nakho re"

" Haule Launde "

"Baigan me mil gayi"

"kya bola re sala"

Back to top Go down

Bolne ka daam, dene ka daam: Hyderabadi women know the tango Empty Re: Bolne ka daam, dene ka daam: Hyderabadi women know the tango

Post by Idéfix Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:06 pm

Haha, good ones. A few more:

kaiku to bhi

kaiku ki kya naiki

dhed dimag

hallu hallu chalao miyan (to auto-wallah)

abhi parsun-ich hua (for something that happened 2-3 years ago)
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:16 pm

panini press wrote:Haha, good ones. A few more:

kaiku to bhi

kaiku ki kya naiki

dhed dimag

hallu hallu chalao miyan (to auto-wallah)

abhi parsun-ich hua (for something that happened 2-3 years ago)

good ones, pp. can relate to them Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:51 pm

kinnera wrote:yeah, "dene ka daam bolo ji" is a pretty common line before the bargaining starts.

Nov 1st was Hyderabadi day. Here are some of the favorite hyderabadi phrases that some hydis contributed on FB. Most of it is guys' lingo though:

"Kaiku-ki-Kyaki" Kahe ko ki Kya ki ( donno what this expression means in hyderabadi ) maybe a context will help find how close it is to hindi, kinnu.

" kya gurrre miya" I'm guessing gurre is a muslim lastname? or did you mean karre? as in kar rahe miya...

"Zindagi pehle lotha thi ... ab Chamboo ho gayi " no clue what lotha is or chamboo is...so not very close to hindi.

"unon bolo bolke bola kette" unhone kaha bolo isliye (maine) bola. katte is kehte i think but donno how its relevant here.

"barkhaas biryani" barkha is a girl who cooks famous biryani?

"Upar sherwani, andar pareshani" this is hindi

"maa ki kirrkiri" kirkiri is like ankh or sth in hyderabadi...but i dont see how it maps to hindi

"Kaiku ki kya hai ki" kahe ko ki kya hai ki ( again...doesnt make much sense)

"Chup baitre haule!" Chup baith re. haule is dheere...so i think it means be quiet or talk softly

"haulfit hai kya re" i donno whats haulfit

"Kya iflaas item hai miyaan" prolly he wanted to say class item hai but class ki jagah iflaas..u know main fa ko fa bolta hoon types

"haula potta" slow down boy! haula is haule or dheere in hindi

"Dil pe nakko lo yaaro" nakko is nahi yaaro is yaar dost...dil pe nahi lo

"Light lo boss!" take it easy. not related to hindi.

"Kittha hua?"After getting off the auto rickshaw. Kitna hua

"Auto,
chaltey?", while getting in. And retorting with "Mereko jakey akey
jaana nai hai, sirif jaana hai" if he demands an obscene amount LOL this one's funny! so its all hindi if u see.. mereko = mujhko, ya fir maine aane jaane dono ka kiraya nahi poocha...funny very funny :p

"Abey malum mai kaun ho" ye bhi hindi

"Hao" haan

"hai ki nei ki" hai ki nahi...the last ki is unecessary or prolly for some rhyming pleasure they like to use it.

"Kaiku Bhauran kora Be" kaiku iskahe ko or kyon...aage ke words nahi samajh aae

"sukhoon" urdu

"nakho re" nahi re..same as nakko re i think

" Haule Launde " dheere ladke! potta = chota ladka, this othe word - derogatory but i think for older guys

"Baigan me mil gayi" baingan mein mil gai..all words hindi lekin kya mil gai? izzat shayad..so its like mitti mein mil gai

"kya bola re sala"
hindi again

Please tell me they dont refer to this as URDU...ki hum to hyderabad mein urdu bolte hain. that'd be such a shame. bcz urdu is a very respectful and poetic language. This isn't even ok maybe VERY REMOTELY like hindi plus urdu plus telugu ofcoz.

telugu here is what flour is in bread and urdu is yeast and hindi is ok water.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:03 am

Thanks for the analysis, 7. This is Hyderabadi, a mixture of all languages, i guess. Yeah, I did hear that the UP muslims get really angry if anyone calls this Urdu. I was curious to know how close it is to hindi and how well a north indian can understand this. so asked you to analyze. Thanks for your time. Very interesting!

anyway, haula/haule=idiot. Hallu (in PP's post)=slow. ('Ajee, zara hallu jao ji' is a common phrase requesting the autorickshaw fellow to slow down)

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:51 pm

"Zindagi pehle lotha thi ... ab Chamboo ho gayi " no clue what lotha is or chamboo is...so not very close to hindi.

Means - the world was "lota" before, now it became "chamboo." Lota is an Urdu/Hindi word for a small container/glass like the one you have next to your dinner plate. Chamboo is a Telugu word which means a little larger and rounder container. So idiom could mean- it was all Urdu before, now the world has changed to all Telugu, may not be the Telugu language itself but the Telugu culture.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:55 pm

Rashmun wrote:Hyderabad, January 13It’s the Numaish time of the year. Yay! What’s Hyderabad without the Numaish and vice-versa?

Getting there

In the month of the Numaish, Nampally is war zone. They might want to film Survival here. The drive along Nizam Shahi Road (Exhibition Road, duhhh!) requires brains and brawns, no less, with the whole of Hyderabad and his uncle (with little Munni hanging from his pinky) making for Entry Gate No. 1. The name of the game is survival of the fittest. And they shall inherit the parking space. The meek will risk being bullied by the coupon guy. “Lock nakko karo, lock nakko karo” he’ll tell you as you squeeze your bike into the tightest space. You better not, for he’s king for a day.

The Karaoke Kop

On the approach roads, there’s a traffic cop who’s doing the karaoke on the megaphone and hitting on the demure girls crossing the street, whom he addresses as Babyji. Quite the g’man, he reminds the men gently, “Ladies first!” and lets women cross the road first.

The food

Numaish is not over until a visit to the food zone. Walk over to the chat bandis, which are living proof that it’s not only pizza counters that dish out execrable food. I read up one flashy banner advertising a plate of samosa ragada with a fancy name and paid for it. Then come the never-heard-of brands of ice-creams and then there’s the cotton candy, pink gargoyles that you eat up.

The crush

I thought I could lose myself in the Numaish. But then inside of 10 strides towards the chikankari stalls, I met my aunt’s friend’s cousin’s neighbour. She was going out and I in. She said she bought an orange bedsheet with green floral prints for fifty bucks. I think she just wanted me to be jealous. I also met the Alam family. I counted 23 of them. No kidding. No, no, a lot of kids in fact.

Once safely into the crush, the girls lift their veils and reveal Hyderabad’s stunning beauty. This is Hyderabad in microcosm: Girls buying Cinderella slippers, women haggling for kitchenware they’ll never use, kids slurping ice-cream with their noses and Uncle patting his backside to see if the purse has not been picked by a pickpocket or by Begum.

Kharidari

Numaish this time is playing host to about 2,500 stalls. A lot of the usual things, really: Kashmiri shawls from Himachal, lungis from Tirupur, psychedelic slippers from Cinderella and plastic kitchenware from Guangzhou. Bilkul asli hai, babyji. O babyji! But, sacchi mein, this year I found one beauty products stall from the Dead Sea! Amma thodu! Dude, we’re going international!

[color=blue]And Hyderabadi tehzeeb is at its best at the Numaish. The sales bhaiya at every stall makes you feel like you are a princess -- Babyji, O Babyji. And you can flaunt your jhatak with no risk of sniggers from that Jubilee Hills crowd. And I saw people carrying plastic bags of less than 40 microns without wanting to make a fashion statement with jhoot bags. Kaun measure karta, woh sab!

Bolne ka daam,dene ka daam

Fixed Rates Only? Nonsense. Every sale is a sensuous transaction between seller and buyer. Hyderabadi women know the tango. Step 1: walk in, looking uninterested. Step 2: Look bored and ask for the price. Step 3: Look shocked at price stated. Step 4: Divide state price by half and offer as olive branch. Step 5: Regardless of response, walk away. Babyji, O Babyji! Lelo. Sirf aapke liye.

Khana aur Khelna

Buying and haggling done, head over to the rides. Just follow the sound of the “dhinchak” music. The ride zone is like walking into a Shammi Kapoor movie. The kids are enjoying it but it’s the adults who are screaming. I Yam Lovin’ It. Beware of people puking on you, though.

http://www.siasat.com/english/news/numaish-time-hyderabad

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:55 pm

Nice color work there!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:58 pm

dunno why blue color didnt show up. multiquotes are a bitch to work

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:58 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:dunno why blue color didnt show up. multiquotes are a bitch to work

Propa are you having a good day at work?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down