Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To B. Saroja Devi fans

+4
Impedimenta
garam_kuta
Maria S
Seva Lamberdar
8 posters

Go down

To B. Saroja Devi fans Empty To B. Saroja Devi fans

Post by Seva Lamberdar Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:24 am

[size=12][size=12]

[size=12]There was a discussion / reminiscing among TNers earlier on the old-time Tamilian movie stars. The list included the name of B. Saroja Devi, who had also become quite popular in Hindi movies and among Hindi fans.

Here is a great song (by Rafi and Lata) from the movie “Sasural” (1961) featuring Rajendra Kumar and B. Saroja Devi. The lyrics of the song (“Ek swal main karun, ek swal tum karo, har swal ka swal hi jawab ho” -- I pose a question, you pose a question and each question will be the answer to previous question” by Shalendra are fabulous. The music by Shankar-Jaikishan as usually is great.

[/size][/size]
[/size]

Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

To B. Saroja Devi fans Empty Re: To B. Saroja Devi fans

Post by Maria S Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:55 am

Good Morning dear Seva:)

I think there was one person who was reminicing..one thambi who bravely said some good things and the rest..the rest were pretty much criticizing..anyways, I had a fab time in Fb..whatever the trigger was..and connected with nice new folks too!

Speaking of coincidences..did not know Grand lady SD had made an impact in Hindi movies. I was just watching Saroja Devi being interviewed on Jaya TV yesterday by another good actress Suhasini (another member of another Kalai kudumbam- Family of artists..Kamal is her real uncle (not "unkil"Smile)..and her husband is Manirathnam..

Back to Madam Saroja Devi..so lovely, looks healthy and vibrant at close to 80- her voice and expressions have not changed at all..

Here she is in a quite recent movie.. with the somewhat dignified son Surya of dignified Sivakumar (dont' think it requires much translation).. with plenty of English, dialogue about computers, Power Rangers, Dora and the obvious:)

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:09 am

Good Morning dear Maria.

Nice to know that the erstwhile famous actress SD is healthy and vibrant at the age of about 80 and still very much in the news. Her Hindi movies were always a great entertainment and highly engaging. Thanks for the link from her latest movie (I will check it out later).
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:10 am

one, that is keeps forever

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:18 am

Wow, she still looks great.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:03 am

saroja devi was never good looking. she is not thamizh.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:03 pm

garam_kuta wrote:one, that is keeps forever
did you have to do this? saroja devi and sivaji ganesan look ugly; the scene is idiotic, and the song is syrupy and boring.
did you see the kishTianGirls? the skirted ones, that is. the producer had to hire anglo-indian* girls to do the dancing, probably because no hindu girl would or could do that kind of dancing.

btw, "keeps for ever" is meaningless; try "this one is for keeps."

* some years ago, northindians referred to all women wearing dresses or skirts and exposing their legs as "kishTianGirls" because the goan girls of bombay who were known to be christians often wore clothes that revealed their legs.[/quote]

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:22 pm

A lovely song GK! It is certainly part of a great memorable collection of old songs for me too..

You perhaps know..there was a series of serial stories (thodar kathaigal) written by Manian under the title of every line (first 4 lines)..starting with "Unnai onru ketpen"..in Ananda Vikatan.

Saroja Devi looks gorgeous in red..and the way she wore/wears sarees..as they say..some people add beauty to the sarees/dresses (they look better because of the people dressed in them)! And the movie was a memorable mystery-murder thriller..Sivaji as always versatile- what can I say!

Seva,

Yes, she still looks great!

*And anyone could/can hire any girl from any religion or caste..as an "extra" actress from Kodambakkam..or anywhere else..if they were interested in acting/dancing in movies. The last time I checked..Jayalalitha seemed to be dancing in short "frocks", swimsuits (can always pull up songs) ...exposing a lot too..wonder which religion/caste she belongs to is? *Apparently NOBODY had a problem with it.. the men loved it then..adore her now..made her a historic figure- one of the most powerful women in TN..may be India..

The ignorance is absolutely stunning!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:50 pm

About 3 or 4 years ago I go to our local temple on a Tuesday in the afternoon and the place was almost empty. Then came half-a-dozen men and women and they were all greeted by some priests with haarati in a silver tray, and loud echoing aaseervachanams. One of the women happened to be B.Saroja Devi. When I learned who she was, I wished her and praised her performance in a couple of movies. She was happy and reciprocated, "it's all you movie lovers' support that got me all that success."

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:19 pm

sivaji's expression at 0:27 or so is priceless. i almost ROFLed.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:06 am

bw wrote:

sivaji's expression at 0:27 or so is priceless. i almost ROFLed.

>>>Yes, but did you notice an uncanny resemblance to one, Bala, a keral brahmin with a PhD from a State School and an unwavering faith in horoscopology?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:31 am

Impedimenta wrote:saroja devi was never good looking. she is not thamizh.

She was good looking enough to have this very famous song from the same movie ("Sasural") filmed on her --

"Teri pyari pyari surat ko kisi ki nazar na lage" (may there be no casting of evil eye against your ‘eye-candy’ looks) :

Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down