Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

+29
doofus_maximus
FluteHolder
Maria S
chameli
Jeremiah Mburuburu
garam_kuta
Nila
pravalika nanda
Miss.Blah
artood2
Mosquito
ashaNirasha
soul.peaceful
truthbetold
pravalika
Propagandhi711
indophile
Kris
MaxEntropy_Man
tapori
harharmahadev
Merlot Daruwala
Impedimenta
FreeStyle
Another Brick
.|Sublime|.
Hellsangel
Rekz
charvaka
33 posters

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 19 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:49 am

blabberwock wrote:HK, just for you, I took the picture of the whole thing and not dump the leftovers on you.
merci mademoiselle. i am greatly enjoying eating my screen.

Back to top Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 19 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:19 am

Hellsangel wrote:What he was cooking.
eeeesh! admin please ban HA for polluting this thread!

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:32 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Hey, you can't just ask for these things. First you have to show sufficient outrage and hurt feelings. Go stone a few windows and burn a couple of buses. And thus you build a case for banning.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:22 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Hey, you can't just ask for these things. First you have to show sufficient outrage and hurt feelings. Go stone a few windows and burn a couple of buses. And thus you build a case for banning.

a case for caning, you mean. as in midnight lathicharge?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:21 pm

What a Face was just having a convo. with my mamaji about ponganalu (i'm getting the skillet tomorrow -- hopefully). he apprised that there is a closely related dish in bihar called pitThI. i've heard of litTi but not pitThi! wifeji is away. ganpath ram attests my mamaji's assertion. however, in ganpath's province it is called bagiya. i think ponganalu travelled south when brahmins from bihar were invited by the royal emperor of andhra pradesh.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:17 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:he apprised that there is a closely related dish in bihar
100 times:

he apprised me of a closely related dish

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:42 pm

hi JM! i was missing you. yes, it ought to have been "apprised me." thanks for correcting it. it is incredulous how you can detect mistakes so effortlessly.

watch the fun.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:44 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:hi JM! i was missing you. yes, it ought to have been "apprised me." thanks for correcting it. it is incredulous how you can detect mistakes so effortlessly.
i have bad news for you.

100 times:

it is incredible how you can detect mistakes so effortlessly

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:50 am

100 times?

watch the fun.

watch the fun.

watch the fun.

Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:57 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote: What a Face was just having a convo. with my mamaji about ponganalu (i'm getting the skillet tomorrow -- hopefully). he apprised that there is a closely related dish in bihar called pitThI. i've heard of litTi but not pitThi! wifeji is away. ganpath ram attests my mamaji's assertion. however, in ganpath's province it is called bagiya. i think ponganalu travelled south when brahmins from bihar were invited by the royal emperor of andhra pradesh.

Just so you know, these thingies are quite popular in Karnataka spl near Udipi and thereabouts. It's called paddu /appe locally. Considering that it's merely a cross of idli and dosa, I would think it's an entirely organic local invention.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:22 am

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 19 ?size=1

This is also called 'Kuzhi Paniyaram'

Thanks to the link below;

http://www.thehindushutterbug.com/contests/entry/ahBzfnBob3RvLWNvbnRlc3Rzcg8LEgdjb250ZXN0GKGcAQw/24008/1/#.UGKQba5fun8

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:47 am

yes, paniyaram paniyaram in tamil. blabberwock mentioned it upthread.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:42 am

nah, didn't get a ponganalu skillet/griddle locally. have asked older to courier a paddu or appe griddle.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:28 am

paddu, ponangalu, paniyaram, pitThi. they all start with a 'P." this is sensational aryan-dravidian AMT material. let me forward this to dr. seva.

one of the reasons why i am now hellbent on making ponangalu (with peanut chutney) is because my telugu friend's (and consultant) wife has never heard of it. she was like, "ponana...what?" i tried various inflections and stresses of "ponangalu" hoping one of them would register. instead, she threw up her hands and asked me to describe the process which i then did. she said, "see we are from AP/orissa border...our cuisine is more related to TN cuisine...what you are describing sounds like a keralite adulteration of andhra cuisine...sorry i am not familiar with it."

now i want to make a batch and send it to her to teach her a lesson or two about AP and TN cuisine (namely paniyaram). she will still diss it, i know, and probably she will even stop sending me the BBB and curd rice she lovingly sends me from time to time but i am adamant.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:19 am

shakshouka.

before

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 19 2012-110

after poaching

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 19 2012-111

final

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 19 2012-112

today's was a second attempt. we slow cooked the tomatoes (with green and red capsicum) longer and mashed it a bit too to get the right colour and consistency.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:19 am

In case your elder has difficulty procuring the tava, here is an easier option: http://www.ebay.in/itm/Appam-Maker-Appa-Chetty-Paniyaram-Pan-Patra-Tawa-Non-Stick-Anodised-CoookWare-/280972268268?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item416b4092ec
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:26 am

oh wow! i was waiting for his exams to get over when he'd buy it and courier it and i had not been successful in finding an online store! i am ordering it right now. muchas gracias.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:35 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:today's was a second attempt. we slow cooked the tomatoes (with green and red capsicum) longer and mashed it a bit too to get the right colour and consistency.
boobsy, would it trouble you greatly if you were to not post pictures of this ponangalu peril at various stages of digestion inside your intestines? was it at columbia university that you took "CA101 - Rendering Innocent Food Unappetizing?"

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:44 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:was it at columbia university that you took "CA101 - Rendering Innocent Food Unappetizing?"
admin, please ban jeremiah mburuburu for revealing personal information about me AND scandalizing my alma mater!

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:08 pm

It's Gandhi Jayanti. Yes, we're celebrating the birthday of the first father of the nation. I believe goats were very dear to the original Mahatma. So I celebrated his birthday today with some absolutely delicious mutton biryani from Jafferbhai's Delhi Durbar. The mutton was melt-in-your mouth succulent and flavorful and the customary fried potato was absolutely yummy. The patriot that I am, I began the meal with our national bird, the tandoori chicken. Delicious but IMO, a bit dry.

And then, to toast the man's most celebrated eccentricity - his irrational hatred for alcohol that is his most enduring (and probably, sole) legacy in post-independent India - I opened a bottle of fine bordeaux from my collection. A crime to do so in this city without the requisite permit, of course, but heck. There's only Mahatma. You can jail me but you can't deny me my right to celebrate him.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:20 pm

you are incorrigible MD. *i wish sublime was here to shout this at you*

but thanks for the jafferbhai delhi durbar link. i have never tasted authentic irani biryani and it has been among the to-do list for many years 'cos i don't like flying (but now there is the duronto to mumbai). i am adding jafferbhai to the list -- dabba gosht is already in it. i might be travelling to delhi in a month. haji noora's (bade ki) nihari is in queue for there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:32 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:you are incorrigible MD. *i wish sublime was here to shout this at you*

but thanks for the jafferbhai delhi durbar link. i have never tasted authentic irani biryani and it has been among the to-do list for many years 'cos i don't like flying (but now there is the duronto to mumbai). i am adding jafferbhai to the list -- dabba gosht is already in it. i might be travelling to delhi in a month. haji noora's (bade ki) nihari is in queue for there.

Biryani itself is of Persian origins but JBDD's biryani is more in the Lucknowi / Calcuttan style. All the local irani cafes do serve biryani but there's nothing authentically irani or even memorable about them. The only different variety I've had is the berry pulao at Britannia, a really old and somewhat overhyped Parsi restaurant in the Ballard Estate area in M'bai. Not sure why it's called pulao when in fact, it is also assembled into layers like a biryani and cooked.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:40 am

ya brittania is an over hyped parsi joint. i've eaten there. hasn't it closed down? i found the parsi joints in fort (near RBI building) quite decent and that's where i usually eat. adding potatoes is also a bohri culture. but i will take your word that jafferbhai styles it as calcutta biryani (in which potatoes is a must). there was a mention of biryani in an irani hotal a book i read long ago, the minister's wife, and it made me crave badly for it and i also thought there must be something as irani biryani.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:54 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:ya brittania is an over hyped parsi joint. i've eaten there. hasn't it closed down?

Haha..yes, there are periodic rumors (probably spread by the management itself to draw in the diehard fans) that the place is going to close any time. But no, it's going strong. The owner's dad, an old Parsi gentleman in his 90s, circulates with the diners, attaching himself to groups with the prettiest women and flirting shamelessly with them. Oddly enough, far from finding this annoying, the women seem to enjoy the attentions.

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:i found the parsi joints in fort (near RBI building) quite decent and that's where i usually eat.

I know of only Jimmy Boy's there, off Horniman Circle. Great food but unfortunately, doesn't have a beer license. Do you remember the names of the places you ate at?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:09 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:I know of only Jimmy Boy's there, off Horniman Circle. Great food but unfortunately, doesn't have a beer license. Do you remember the names of the places you ate at?
the one in fort is mocambo cafe. paradise in colaba is also good. brittania was a disappointment -- i liked only the sutarfeni and that's not saying much.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:30 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:I know of only Jimmy Boy's there, off Horniman Circle. Great food but unfortunately, doesn't have a beer license. Do you remember the names of the places you ate at?
the one in fort is mocambo cafe. paradise in colaba is also good. brittania was a disappointment -- i liked only the sutarfeni and that's not saying much.

Oh yeah, Mocambo is a good place. But it serves Parsi food only for lunch. Dinner is all steaks and burgers and continental stuff. I heard the management's changed. Haven't been there after that.

Another lunch-only place is Ideal Corner, a couple of blocks away from Mocambo. My regular haunt is an Irani place called Excelsior (near Excelsior Cinema) closer to VT. I usually have their salli boti or mutton cutlet with gravy (eaten with pav) which is delicious and oh-so-filling.

Never been to Cafe Paradise. This is shocking. Need to look into how and why I missed it.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:12 am

success at last. no one helped, not even my own own son (he has exams). ultimately MD came to the rescue and i got a non-stick, anodized skillet from ebay. we made paniyarams today (i choose to call them paniyarams because that is how the seller, a guy from mumbai, chose to describe the skillet).

in the skillet:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 19 2012-113

on the plate with peanut chutney and sambar:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 19 2012-114

the paniyarams look a bit yellow because we added turmeric as per the net recipe -- next time we won't for turmeric ruins the taste i think. i was curious how they'd taste for these are a grilled species whereas dosa is fried and idlis steamed. they taste a bit like idlis but with fillings. peanut chutney is the perfect match for paniyarams (blabberwock has NEVER tasted peanut chutney -- FAIL!). the chutney with its cumin, curry leaves and mustard tadka was superb. sambar on the side was a good accompaniment (with rice). paniyarams are no match for soft, fluffy idlis with podis but nevertheless they are an interesting variation and will occasionally substitute for idlis in our dosa lunches. i love brahmin food and music. thank you brahmins of india for your food and music (atheist apologists, PP, MD, BW -- NO THANKS!). even brahmin non veg food i like -- sorshe ilish of bengal, magur maach of darbanga and kashmiri pandit gustaba.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:39 am

Congratulations Hoozay. Despite the yellow hue, they look delicious.

If you plan on making this a family breakfast item, you may want to purchase multiple skillets (as many as you have gas burners in the kitchen) so you Ganpatram can do some parallel processing. Otherwise, breakfast for a family of four @ six pieces per batch can take forever.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:45 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:you may want to purchase multiple skillets (as many as you have gas burners in the kitchen)
Smile yes, i realized this yesterday when i got the skillet. i have ordered two more.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:00 am

2nd attempt. cut out chickpeas in filling and added tomatoes. i wanted to cut out coriander too but ganpath forgot. wife had mentioned that adding tomatoes might be a bad idea because they would release water and make it sour. before i'd reconsider my decision, yours truly's ego explained to her that the water would make it softer and that it was exactly the intention to make it slightly sour.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 19 2012-115

these were great for i hardly used any chutney with the paniyarams. cutting out chickpeas made them softer. the tomatoes gave it a full flavour -- slightly uttapamish. these are now stiff competition for idlis. blabberwock might be having a point when she mentioned to me that paniyaram batter should preferably be sour. in our 3rd attempt we will try italian 'erbs for filling.

we got impatient with just one skillet doing the rounds today.

my bhabhi, sil, dropped in for lunch today. i thought i'd surprise her with paniyarams. but she said she made them at home! she has a skillet (procured from a keralite friend). she has invited us next week to try out her appams (which we have never tasted).

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:09 am

Wow. These look delicious, Hoozay. Great going.

Btw, if you are going the italian 'erbs way, you should also consider proteinaceous fillings such as egg burji and mutton keema.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:10 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:2nd attempt. cut out chickpeas in filling and added tomatoes. i wanted to cut out coriander too but ganpath forgot. wife had mentioned that adding tomatoes might be a bad idea because they would release water and make it sour. before i'd reconsider my decision, yours truly's ego explained to her that the water would make it softer and that it was exactly the intention to make it slightly sour.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 19 2012-115

these were great for i hardly used any chutney with the paniyarams. cutting out chickpeas made them softer. the tomatoes gave it a full flavour -- slightly uttapamish. these are now stiff competition for idlis. blabberwock might be having a point when she mentioned to me that paniyaram batter should preferably be sour. in our 3rd attempt we will try italian 'erbs for filling.

we got impatient with just one skillet doing the rounds today.

my bhabhi, sil, dropped in for lunch today. i thought i'd surprise her with paniyarams. but she said she made them at home! she has a skillet (procured from a keralite friend). she has invited us next week to try out her appams (which we have never tasted).

>>>> I don't think I have ever had this, but in terms of visual appeal the previous one (yellow) looks better. If this is anything like Uttappam, I would probably like it, but I just find it heavy and am not able to eat more than a couple of them. There are a couple of restaurants in the Bay Area that specialize in this type of cuisine. I will see if the mrs. is up for it this week.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:22 am

actually these are quite small in size kris -- somewhat of an oversized button idli. the pictures don't tell the whole truth.

i stated upthread that i have never tasted appams. i have, i just remembered. in a kerala cuisine restaurant in kolkata -- appams and mutton ishtew.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:30 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:2nd attempt. cut out chickpeas in filling and added tomatoes.

did you say chickpeas? you stuffed paniyaarams with chickpeas? Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:33 am

ya, that is what this recipe called for: http://www.nandyala.org/mahanandi/archives/2006/03/20/ponganalu-gunta-pongadalu/

it was a very bad idea, i knew straight away, when i dug into my first paniyaram yesterday.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:37 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Btw, if you are going the italian 'erbs way, you should also consider proteinaceous fillings such as egg burji and mutton keema.
good idea! i think we will try egg burji. keema is a bit outlandish.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:42 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:Btw, if you are going the italian 'erbs way, you should also consider proteinaceous fillings such as egg burji and mutton keema.

omigawd! hope the food police lock you and MD up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:58 am

lol. egg is vegetarian yaar. get real.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:08 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:lol. egg is vegetarian yaar. get real.

chickpeas are vegetarian too. your point?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:12 am

study

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:28 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
But just to be clear, don't add this to the batter like you added the chickpeas (btw I think the original recipe meant chana dal, not chana). Instead, fill in half a cup with the batter. Let it cook a bit. Then spoon in the burji / keema. And top up with more batter until the cup is full.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:37 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:But just to be clear, don't add this to the batter like you added the chickpeas (btw I think the original recipe meant chana dal, not chana). Instead, fill in half a cup with the batter. Let it cook a bit. Then spoon in the burji / keema. And top up with more batter until the cup is full.
*gasp* thanks for clarifying! i was going to make a royal mess of it while covertly being unsure of how it'd taste. i get you now -- this would be more like burji sandwiched. the batter doesn't take long to settle, so add the burji and top it with more batter. i am revising my opinion. now outsourced galouti kebab, minced and added as a filling should taste divine too. will try both.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:13 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:But just to be clear, don't add this to the batter like you added the chickpeas (btw I think the original recipe meant chana dal, not chana). Instead, fill in half a cup with the batter. Let it cook a bit. Then spoon in the burji / keema. And top up with more batter until the cup is full.
*gasp* thanks for clarifying! i was going to make a royal mess of it while covertly being unsure of how it'd taste. i get you now -- this would be more like burji sandwiched. the batter doesn't take long to settle, so add the burji and top it with more batter. i am revising my opinion. now outsourced galouti kebab, minced and added as a filling should taste divine too. will try both.
Yes sir. A stuffing should always be what the name implies. It annoys me no end when someone offers "aloo paratha" and instead of a layer of spicy aloo sandwiched in the paratha, it turns out they merely kneaded in some spicy aloo with the paratha batter and rolled it out.

Galouti kebab stuffing sounds absolutely delicious. Also, if you have left over chicken curry, debone the chicken, chop it up into stuffable proportions, reduce the gravy to a sukka and voila.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:05 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote: don't add this to the batter like you added the chickpeas (btw I think the original recipe meant chana dal, not chana).
yes, we used chana dal, not chana. i don't know why i mentioned chickpeas and carried on in the refrain. they taste the same (to me).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:03 am

cheers we have finally walked over to the dark side (i personally consider eggs non veg) and do not regret it. 3rd attempt -- paniyaram with egg burji filling:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 19 2012-116

the batter, 2 days old, had slightly soured. with every attempt ganpath's paniyarams are getting softer. ganpath had to switch stoves to slow cook these burji filled ones (paniyarams cook fast). we made coconut chutney today -- i don't like peanut chutney i now feel. the egg-filing-paniyaram was tasty and filling. 9/10. younger said it tastes like sushi! ha ha, he is not wrong. sushi is fermented rice with something fishy in between. we are giving ourselves a double promotion. we will skip italian 'erbs lessons and jump to the doctorate galouti course.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:13 am

Looks delish. Aren't you happy you listened to me and not BW?? She was dissing my innovations just to curry favor with the Supreme Iyer Council.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:49 am

ha ha ha! she is doomed to be FAIL at least in this life.

when i saw you rave about it, i had to try it. and it was a hit with everyone in the house including ganpath and my other help.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am

There goes my plan of making paniyaarams. The indelible image of scrambled eggs(yuck!) sitting inside a perfectly innocent paniyaaram has deeply affected me.

While at it, stuff it with some aloo gobi and do some synthesis.

Ganpath Ram too, a part of this conspiracy? Sheesh!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:40 am

blabberwock wrote:There goes my plan of making paniyaarams.
got skillet?

While at it, stuff it with some aloo gobi and do some synthesis.
i am all for synthesis but non veg this time. after several years of skirting with the sound barrier, i have finally crossed it (yes, there was a sonic boom) and now there is no going back. i will eat idlis with succulent mutton curry as i would eat it with rice. i will try plain dosas with melt-in-the-mouth reshmi kebabs as i would eat them with rumali rotis. for now i am ordering kakori kebabs from dumphukt, ITC. younger gently suggested that kakori kebabs would make a better filling in the paniyarams and he is right. we will use the kebabs to stuff some paniyarams (kakori has the consistency of a pate) and eat the rest plain with the kebabs (i never liked the sheermal bread that kakori kebabs are traditionally eaten with). ready made batter from local store makes everything just-in-time convenient. just writing about all this is making me salivate. you call it disgusting, i call it delicious. to each his own!

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:29 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote: cheers we have finally walked over to the dark side (i personally consider eggs non veg) and do not regret it. 3rd attempt -- paniyaram with egg burji filling:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 19 2012-116

the batter, 2 days old, had slightly soured. with every attempt ganpath's paniyarams are getting softer. ganpath had to switch stoves to slow cook these burji filled ones (paniyarams cook fast). we made coconut chutney today -- i don't like peanut chutney i now feel. the egg-filing-paniyaram was tasty and filling. 9/10. younger said it tastes like sushi! ha ha, he is not wrong. sushi is fermented rice with something fishy in between. we are giving ourselves a double promotion. we will skip italian 'erbs lessons and jump to the doctorate galouti course.

OMG! adopt me as a member of your household. fine. don't. I'll get my own ganpath ram. even though his name is hulio and he has a snake tattoo on his arm, he will make me panniyaram.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next