Influence of Sanskrit over Tamil--breaking the Dravidian Racism (article written by a Tamilian) - Page 2 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Influence of Sanskrit over Tamil--breaking the Dravidian Racism (article written by a Tamilian)

+2
MaxEntropy_Man
Kayalvizhi
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Influence of Sanskrit over Tamil--breaking the Dravidian Racism (article written by a Tamilian) - Page 2 Empty Re: Influence of Sanskrit over Tamil--breaking the Dravidian Racism (article written by a Tamilian)

Post by Guest Sun May 12, 2013 1:03 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:Max do you think Bengali is inferior to any of the Dravidian languages?

i am not in the habit of ranking languages. my knowledge of bengali is equal to your knowledge of tamil, i.e. both are identically equal to zero. i can however say that literary tamil is the equal of literary sanskrit in its richness.

I have read some tamil literature (also Bengali literature) in translation. It is erroneous to say my knowledge of tamil is zero.

Back to top Go down

Influence of Sanskrit over Tamil--breaking the Dravidian Racism (article written by a Tamilian) - Page 2 Empty Re: Influence of Sanskrit over Tamil--breaking the Dravidian Racism (article written by a Tamilian)

Post by Guest Sun May 12, 2013 1:12 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:Max do you think Bengali is inferior to any of the Dravidian languages?

i am not in the habit of ranking languages. my knowledge of bengali is equal to your knowledge of tamil, i.e. both are identically equal to zero. i can however say that literary tamil is the equal of literary sanskrit in its richness.

With respect to literary Sanskrit and literary tamil in my opinion it is fallacious to make the comparison for the reason that Sanskrit is unlike any other Indian language in significant ways. Comparing Sanskrit to any other Indian language is completely inappropriate as Ingalls has explained in Volume 44 of the Harvard Oriental Series.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 12, 2013 1:36 pm

i am sorry you feel limited in your ability to reason and debate using your own gray matter and can only do so by making reference to institutional authority. i have no idea who ingalls is, although i am quite certain he is an institutional panjandrum.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 12, 2013 1:39 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i am sorry you feel limited in your ability to reason and debate using your own gray matter and can only do so by making reference to institutional authority. i have no idea who ingalls is, although i am quite certain he is an institutional panjandrum.

Ingalls is, or rather was, a renowned expert on Sanskrit. Your problem is that you wish reforms to take place without any deep understanding of the status quo. Not everything in the status quo is wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun May 12, 2013 1:50 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i am sorry you feel limited in your ability to reason and debate using your own gray matter and can only do so by making reference to institutional authority. i have no idea who ingalls is, although i am quite certain he is an institutional panjandrum.

The last time I saw that word was in Tintin in Tibet, I think.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 12, 2013 2:19 pm

Rashmun wrote:

Ingalls is, or rather was, a renowned expert on Sanskrit. Your problem is that you wish reforms to take place without any deep understanding of the status quo. Not everything in the status quo is wrong.

let's see. i have a reasonable knowledge of one language wholly derived from sanskrit, a very deep knowledge of the language considered the oldest dravidian language, and have some exposure to sanskrit both through a bit of formal study and on account of my caste antecedents. you know one wholly derived sanskritic language and some sanskrt. and from our interactions here over many years, i have to give myself the advantage on sensitivity to etymological roots. my thoughts and analysis on the issues under discussion in this thread arise from my personal knowledge and intimacy with languages, not some tome written by a graybeard. if anything, of the two of us, i have a deeper operational understanding of the status quo. you have a dogmatic understanding imbibed from the writings of high priests.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 12, 2013 2:45 pm

and until your knowledge of at least one dravidian language equals or exceeds my knowledge of hindi, i will continue to have the upper hand in these discussions. such is life rashmun. accept it or do something about it.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 12, 2013 2:45 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

let's see. i have a reasonable knowledge of one language wholly derived from sanskrit, a very deep knowledge of the language considered the oldest dravidian language, and have some exposure to sanskrit both through a bit of formal study and on account of my caste antecedents. you know one wholly derived sanskritic language and some sanskrt. and from our interactions here over many years, i have to give myself the advantage on sensitivity to etymological roots. my thoughts and analysis on the issues under discussion in this thread arise from my personal knowledge and intimacy with languages, not some tome written by a graybeard. if anything, of the two of us, i have a deeper operational understanding of the status quo. you have a dogmatic understanding imbibed from the writings of high priests.

I am not blindly swallowing whatever the high priests are saying. I am subjecting their words to critical analysis. That is why I reject the claims of those high priests who say that all knowledge is found in the Vedas or that whatever is in the Veda is correct. At least read what Ingalls has to say before summarily dismissing his views. Behave like a scientist rather than an ideologue.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 12, 2013 7:51 pm

Rashmun wrote: Behave like a scientist rather than an ideologue.

until your knowledge of at least one dravidian language equals or exceeds my knowledge of hindi, of the two us, the one behaving more like an ideologue is you, because you have no independent basis to judge the issues under consideration other than reading and parroting what's written in tomes authored by graybeards.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 12, 2013 10:25 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote: Behave like a scientist rather than an ideologue.

until your knowledge of at least one dravidian language equals or exceeds my knowledge of hindi, of the two us, the one behaving more like an ideologue is you, because you have no independent basis to judge the issues under consideration other than reading and parroting what's written in tomes authored by graybeards.

I am not the one who wants to "shake up" the status quo with respect to the supreme importance accorded to Sanskrit from amongst all Indian languages by linguistic scholars. The bar is much higher for the person who wants to shake up the status quo.

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Mon May 13, 2013 12:32 am

what is sanskritic language?

saanskritic, in hindi means cultural

saanskritic karyakram = cultural program

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon May 13, 2013 10:55 am

Rashmun .....>>>>> funeral rites are in Sanskrit and not in Tamil, Telugu, or Bengali.

WRong. I have never heard a sanskrit funeral in my life. In tamil only.

Rashmun >>>> If we seek literary figures of equal stature in Tamil and Hindi we find that the former only produced Subramanya Bharati while the latter produced Premchand..

You don't know Tamil. Paventhar and Pavalareru are comparable or greater poets than Bharathi, by any metric.

Max: Have you read the book "Primary classical language of the world"?

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2