Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ms. Khare is only 18 years old. She has invented a super phone charger

+2
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Rishi
6 posters

Go down

Ms. Khare is only 18 years old. She has invented a super phone charger Empty Ms. Khare is only 18 years old. She has invented a super phone charger

Post by Rishi Mon May 20, 2013 12:13 pm

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/teens-invention-could-charge-your-phone-20-seconds-1C9977955

Don't confuse her with Mrs. Srivastava Khare.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Ms. Khare is only 18 years old. She has invented a super phone charger Empty Re: Ms. Khare is only 18 years old. She has invented a super phone charger

Post by Rishi Mon May 20, 2013 12:17 pm

whats so great about this article is that she is referred as Californian girl. But if she were to be part of crime or something despicable then her "true nationality" would be mentioned a lot.

- lulu , Lund, Sweden, 20/5/2013 16:13

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2327021/Teenager-invents-revolutionary-device-charges-cell-phone-20-seconds.html#ixzz2TqmJSoCk

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Ms. Khare is only 18 years old. She has invented a super phone charger Empty Re: Ms. Khare is only 18 years old. She has invented a super phone charger

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon May 20, 2013 2:02 pm

Rishi wrote:
whats so great about this article is that she is referred as Californian girl. But if she were to be part of crime or something despicable then her "true nationality" would be mentioned a lot.

- lulu , Lund, Sweden, 20/5/2013 16:13

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2327021/Teenager-invents-revolutionary-device-charges-cell-phone-20-seconds.html#ixzz2TqmJSoCk

Hahaha... Google has been in contact with Ms. Khare...

Why am I not suprised? When I read that Ms. Khare invented... my first thought was "the man-in-charge" at Google would call her in no time... and then I read that Google has been in touch. My surpise is that she is going to Harvard and not Berkeley or Stanford.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon May 20, 2013 2:08 pm

these intel announcements always floor me. people have been working on supercapacitors for donkey's years. there has been progress, but nothing earth shattering in recent years. and then a high schooler with no background in materials comes around and claims to have made a major breakthrough. how does it work? was she working on her own or in a university lab? these public announcements sound fantastic, but what is the inside story here?

and what about prior year winners? a bit of history would have been useful. have they gone on to pursue these ideas on their own, or has some company picked them up and commercialized them? or is it all a lot of flash and dash?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon May 20, 2013 2:20 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:these intel announcements always floor me. people have been working on supercapacitors for donkey's years. there has been progress, but nothing earth shattering in recent years. and then a high schooler with no background in materials comes around and claims to have made a major breakthrough. how does it work? was she working on her own or in a university lab? these public announcements sound fantastic, but what is the inside story here?

and what about prior year winners? a bit of history would have been useful. have they gone on to pursue these ideas on their own, or has some company picked them up and commercialized them? or is it all a lot of flash and dash?

If you dig into these kids background, most of these come from well-educated families with "connections" While these kids themselves may be smart and even smarter than most, it is hard to believe that they did it all alone.

Notice that Chinku, Korean, and Desi kids corner many of these awards. If they are true trailblazers, how come no one hears about them once they leave their nests?

While it is great to see these kids "invent", develop and prove PhD-like work, I take these with a pinch of salt. Hopefully, the desi parents would not put too much pressure on their own kids. One thing the kids H A T E is when parents to give them examples of these "winners" in every conversation. And, Desi and Chinku parents are notorious in that.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Mon May 20, 2013 2:22 pm

I've heard that usually every school participates in county science fair sponsored by tech and other firms. When a child brings out an idea they are assigned mentors/teachers and get help in developing the concept and were provided with facilities for invention. The science fair is visited by various ppl with tech background and sometimes they themselves pick up a project and sponsor them.

It is the concept /idea that matters. The child is credited for the idea, the hard work in building the project and document the project in the procedure provided.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Mon May 20, 2013 2:28 pm

I've been to few science fairs in bay area and you would be surprised to see the encouragement these kids get.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon May 20, 2013 2:36 pm

Nila wrote:I've been to few science fairs in bay area and you would be surprised to see the encouragement these kids get.

If only I had been brought up in California instead of Kallipalayam, my life would have Komboletely different.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Mon May 20, 2013 2:43 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Nila wrote:I've been to few science fairs in bay area and you would be surprised to see the encouragement these kids get.

If only I had been brought up in California instead of Kallipalayam, my life would have Komboletely different.

Yep, may be. We don't know what we have been missed.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue May 21, 2013 3:07 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:these intel announcements always floor me. people have been working on supercapacitors for donkey's years. there has been progress, but nothing earth shattering in recent years. and then a high schooler with no background in materials comes around and claims to have made a major breakthrough. how does it work? was she working on her own or in a university lab? these public announcements sound fantastic, but what is the inside story here?

If you dig into these kids background, most of these come from well-educated families with "connections" While these kids themselves may be smart and even smarter than most, it is hard to believe that they did it all alone.

Notice that Chinku, Korean, and Desi kids corner many of these awards. If they are true trailblazers, how come no one hears about them once they leave their nests?

While it is great to see these kids "invent", develop and prove PhD-like work, I take these with a pinch of salt. Hopefully, the desi parents would not put too much pressure on their own kids. One thing the kids H A T E is when parents to give them examples of these "winners" in every conversation. And, Desi and Chinku parents are notorious in that.

>>>I have noticed the same correlation in quite a few cases. The media hypes things up and there is a badge of honor for the parents within the community. The media also leaves out crucial details such as the parental background. Not taking away from the smarts these students possess, I would be more impressed if they came from backgrounds without those advantages.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Tue May 21, 2013 7:47 am

Rishi wrote:http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/teens-invention-could-charge-your-phone-20-seconds-1C9977955

Don't confuse her with Mrs. Srivastava Khare.
Can't believe she's NorthIndian. Hard time for SouthIndian.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down