I can't believe this is done in NorthIndia Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I can't believe this is done in NorthIndia

+2
Rishi
southindian
6 posters

Go down

I can't believe this is done in NorthIndia Empty I can't believe this is done in NorthIndia

Post by southindian Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:30 am

I think he's a SouthIndian doing a great job in NorthIndian state

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/education/news/Bihars-Super-30-helps-keep-alive-the-IIT-dream/articleshow/20728047.cms
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

I can't believe this is done in NorthIndia Empty Re: I can't believe this is done in NorthIndia

Post by Rishi Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:04 am

PATNA: A labourer, a landless farmer, a mechanic, a small shopkeeper and a driver are among the proud parents of children who cracked the highly-competitive IIT-JEE exam this year, thanks to a free coaching centre for underprivileged students in Bihar.

This year, 28 of the 30 students from Bihar's Super 30 free coaching centre cracked the Indian Institute of Technology-Joint Entrance Examination (IIT-JEE). The results were announced on Friday.

I think Bihar experiment works because JEE questions can be answered in Hindi.

Let SIs write their answers in Tamil, Malayalam, Telugu and kannada. Then you will see more SI kids whose parents are labourers, landless farmers, mechanica, small shopkeepers and drivers.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

I can't believe this is done in NorthIndia Empty Re: I can't believe this is done in NorthIndia

Post by Jebediah Mburuburu Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:13 am

Rishi wrote:PATNA: A labourer, a landless farmer, a mechanic, a small shopkeeper and a driver are among the proud parents of children who cracked the highly-competitive IIT-JEE exam this year, thanks to a free coaching centre for underprivileged students in Bihar.

This year, 28 of the 30 students from Bihar's Super 30 free coaching centre cracked the Indian Institute of Technology-Joint Entrance Examination (IIT-JEE). The results were announced on Friday.

I think Bihar experiment works because JEE questions  can be answered in Hindi.

Let SIs write their answers in Tamil, Malayalam, Telugu and kannada. Then you will see more SI kids whose parents are labourers,  landless farmers,  mechanica,  small shopkeepers and  drivers.

absolutely, rishi! splendid comment.

Jebediah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:31 am

southindian wrote:I think he's a SouthIndian doing a great job in NorthIndian state

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/education/news/Bihars-Super-30-helps-keep-alive-the-IIT-dream/articleshow/20728047.cms

If I remember right the guy who runs the center is a retired DIG or something. My JEE comment y;day was after reading this news. What he is doing is great. He used to run his center for free.. I am not sure if he still takes in a total of 30 students every year or 30 free with others paying fees.

Does he pick and chose the potential for the student to get into JEE or simply takes in any poor student who is sincere and determined about getting into IIT? Not clear.

And like Rishi said, if hindi can be allowed, then all other scheduled languages should also be allowed.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:22 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote: He used to run his center for free.. I am not sure if he still takes in a total of 30 students every year or 30 free with others paying fees.  

Does he pick and chose the potential for the student to get into JEE or simply takes in any poor student who is sincere and determined about getting into IIT? Not clear.

And like Rishi said, if hindi can be allowed, then all other scheduled languages should also be allowed.

"I came to know of Super 30 and cleared its screening test. Here, I seemed to have found my new father," he said. 

"Super 30 is an innovative school run by Anand Kumar since 2002. He selects 30 students from poor families and grooms them for the IIT. He provides them with free board and lodging, paying for everything from his own pocket."

Looks like there is an entrance exam, like there is for the coaching centers, and he takes only the students who scored high in it AND he takes in only poor students who can't afford the coaching centers. It seems like he takes in only 30 students and focuses on them and grills them well. 

btw, coaching centers also give huge discounts or sometimes free coaching to the poor but brilliant students. they of course do it with their own business interests in mind. 

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:53 am

nenu wrote:

"I came to know of Super 30 and cleared its screening test. Here, I seemed to have found my new father," he said. 

"Super 30 is an innovative school run by Anand Kumar since 2002. He selects 30 students from poor families and grooms them for the IIT. He provides them with free board and lodging, paying for everything from his own pocket."

Looks like there is an entrance exam, like there is for the coaching centers, and he takes only the students who scored high in it AND he takes in only poor students who can't afford the coaching centers. It seems like he takes in only 30 students and focuses on them and grills them well. 

btw, coaching centers also give huge discounts or sometimes free coaching to the poor but brilliant students. they of course do it with their own business interests in mind. 

This is what I am referring to. There is already a pre-screening test. The top 15000 who get into JEE already are prescreened in a parallel setup. This is NOT a business model or all holy in capitalistic for-profit thinking. This is like screening by small private hospitals to take in only the patients likely to havea good prognosis, luxury car dealers prescreening to see if you are likely to take good care of the car (dont confuse this with credit check). Sure, he gives 30 people free coaching.. If the guys can pass the screening, what is the biggie ? where is the fairness to the poor villager who has no access to these centers.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:03 pm

i remember during our first week orientation, one of the faculty members involved in the process asked us to raise our hands if we did not go through any coaching class to get in. out of 300, about ten hands went up. one of them a diminutive little boy who ended up in my wing from chattisgarh. i came to know him very well. he could barely speak english, had heard of the IIT from a relative only about three weeks before the application form was due. he was brilliant.  his chemical engineering mumbaikar classmates would poke fun at him relentlessly because his english was terrible. he would go off to watch b-grade hindi movies in a theatre nearby the night before any exam and return late. he'd tell me, watch now these people make fun of me but they'll suck up (dekh max ye log mujhe abhi choosenge) to me the night before the exam, and they did! in fact they'd be lined up outside his door so he could give them "fundas".
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:17 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i remember during our first week orientation, one of the faculty members involved in the process asked us to raise our hands if we did not go through any coaching class to get in. out of 300, about ten hands went up. one of them a diminutive little boy who ended up in my wing from chattisgarh. i came to know him very well. he could barely speak english, had heard of the IIT from a relative only about three weeks before the application form was due. he was brilliant.  his chemical engineering mumbaikar classmates would poke fun at him relentlessly because his english was terrible. he would go off to watch b-grade hindi movies in a theatre nearby the night before any exam and return late. he'd tell me, watch now these people make fun of me but they'll suck up (dekh max ye log mujhe abhi choosenge) to me the night before the exam, and they did! in fact they'd be lined up outside his door so he could give them "fundas".

It is alright to give IIT admission to a 100 average guys who are coached, but a deserving guy should never be denied an opportunity. I feel sad whenever i come across a brilliant guy (of course, based on my own criteria) coming from an unfriendly environment, and his growth/development is affected by factors beyond his control. That is one reason how I measure success and intelligence differently - usually at odds with conventional approach (as also in real life).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:39 pm

southindian wrote:I think he's a SouthIndian doing a great job in NorthIndian state

>>>Great work by Mr.Kumar.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:54 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i remember during our first week orientation, one of the faculty members involved in the process asked us to raise our hands if we did not go through any coaching class to get in. out of 300, about ten hands went up. one of them a diminutive little boy who ended up in my wing from chattisgarh. i came to know him very well. he could barely speak english, had heard of the IIT from a relative only about three weeks before the application form was due. he was brilliant.  his chemical engineering mumbaikar classmates would poke fun at him relentlessly because his english was terrible. he would go off to watch b-grade hindi movies in a theatre nearby the night before any exam and return late. he'd tell me, watch now these people make fun of me but they'll suck up (dekh max ye log mujhe abhi choosenge) to me the night before the exam, and they did! in fact they'd be lined up outside his door so he could give them "fundas".

Max, why did you exclude your name from the list of students making fun of his English. Did you pick to start abusing later in life? Smile
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:36 pm

southindian wrote:
Max, why did you exclude your name from the list of students making fun of his English. Did you pick to start abusing later in life? Smile

i never make fun of people who speak poor english and i have never abused anyone. i make fun of people who think clear communication is not important. my friend was certainly not like that. and people who give the lame excuse that communicating in english well is unimportant because it is the language of our former masters while continuing to use it to earn their livelihood are even funnier. my friend clearly knew his deficiency and by the time he left IIT his english had improved considerably. he attended THE top chem eng program in grad school, went back to india and done very well for himself.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down