when people quote others Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

when people quote others

2 posters

Go down

when people quote others Empty when people quote others

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:02 pm

you have these quote fetishists that find it profound and smart sounding to quote some long dead dork to give extra weight to their arguments which they cannot articulate coherently in the first place. I hate that. for example was reading this article in the morning where some guy quoted this dead roman called pluteous who said " death of a republic starts with differences between rich and poor" or something to that effect. yeah, great insight, motherfucker. why the fuck do they do that? I think it's a subconscious desire to influence the reader that the writer's arguments should be taken seriously coz he's read more shit than you and hence his arguments are more valid. this has nothing to do with rashmun's bone headed arguments, btw. any resemblance is strictly coincidental.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

when people quote others Empty Re: when people quote others

Post by charvaka Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:17 pm

These days, with the internets and keyword-based search, you can't even be sure that the quoter has read the quotee's work fully. The other day someone used a short passage by Machiavelli in a presentation. I thought he'd read The Prince, but turns out he has no idea what the book is about!

I like to quote dead old dudes when I think their way of expressing a thought is more powerful than whatever I can come up with. So I used Nehru's words about a moment that comes but rarely in history when the soul of a nation long suppressed finds utterance when talking about the Egyptian Revolution. But there I go reminiscing about Lukeji again. I gotta stop myself.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down