Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is Devyani Khobragade?

+3
harharmahadev
Propagandhi711
Seva Lamberdar
7 posters

Go down

Who is Devyani Khobragade? Empty Who is Devyani Khobragade?

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:48 am

NEW DELHI: The uproar surrounding the arrest of Devyani Khobragade, India's deputy consul general in the Consulate General of India in New York has captured the active imagination of one and all. At this time, it becomes significant to understand who Devyani is and why her arrest has triggered such humongous response.

Devyani Khobragade is the daughter of retired IAS officer Uttam Khobragade. She was born and brought up in Mumbai and went to Mount Carmel School. After school, she pursued a MBBS degree from Seth GS medical college and KEM hospital in Mumbai. However, instead of following medicine as a profession, Devyani opted for foreign service. After clearing the prestigious exam in 1999, Devyani was sent to various prestigious missions of India around the world including the ones in Pakistan, Italy and Germany and finally the Consulate General of India in New York.

Apart from earning laurels at her job, Devyani was also selected for the Chevening Rolls-Royce scholarship in 2012.

Her Twitter account @devyani_K also gives an insight into the kind of person Devyani is.

On the personal front, Devyani is married and has two daughters.

On December 11, 2013, the US state department charged Devyani Khobragade. She was charged with willfully committing visa fraud and perjury under Title 28, United States Code, Section 1746. The charges further alleged that Khobragade had submitted a visa application for anther individual (in this case her domestic help Sangeeta Richard) which contained materially false and inaccurate statements. On December 12, Devyani was arrested in New York.

What began after her arrest can only be described as an assault on her person and her reputation. She was subjected to treatment that is reserved for hardened criminals. Humiliated and strip-searched, Devyani was held in a cell with drug addicts. In an e-mail which Devyani wrote to colleagues after her arrest, Devyani said that, "I am so grateful for all the outpouring of unequivocal support and backing that has been available to me from the fraternity." She also added that, "While I was going through it, although I must admit that I broke down many times as the indignities of repeated handcuffing, stripping and cavity searches, swabbing, hold up with common criminals and drug addicts were all being imposed upon me despite my incessant assertions of immunity, I got the strength to regain composure and remain dignified thinking that I must represent all of my colleagues and my country with confidence and pride."

There have been protests against Devyani's arrest and the government of India has also registered its displeasure at the ensuing events with its US counterparts. The political class is demanding nothing short of an unconditional apology and also the dropping of all charges against Devyani. India's Parliamentary affairs minister Kamal Nath on Thursday said that to satisfy India, the US will have to apologize and admit their mistake for the arrest. Salman Khurshid, India's external affairs minister announced that he will not return to Parliament if he was unable to get Devyani out of this mess. These sentiments are being echoed by the masses too.

However, there are some people who have been riding against this tide and saying that no wrong has been done to Devyani. Foremost among these people is Preet Bharara, who has refuted all the claims hitherto being made and has said that she was not handcuffed in front of her children. He has also gone on record to say that Devyani was afforded courtesies which most Americans wouldn't be given.

The support for Devyani across social media platforms has been astounding.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Who-is-Devyani-Khobragade/articleshow/27659238.cms
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Who is Devyani Khobragade? Empty Re: Who is Devyani Khobragade?

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:55 am

this whole thing could have been avoided had india implemented UCC and banned reservations.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by harharmahadev Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:04 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:this whole thing could have been avoided had india implemented UCC and banned reservations.

Ya...it's very likely she would have falsified her school / college certificates too.

harharmahadev

http://www.desichatter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:09 pm

Please discuss Devyani Khobragade's name in respect.

She could be the next Member of India's Parliament (MP) through Samajwadi Party and a potential Prime Minister of India.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:24 pm

Samajwadi party or BSP?

I heard that the NY consulate is not very friendly or helpful. I wonder, what kind of reputation she has.

Maya was complaining that Devyani didn't get immediate attention because she is a Dalit. In fact, this Devyani got a lot of attention. It is as though every politician is scared of antagonizing the Dalit community. Remember what happened to Ashis Nandy - the poor guy was  treated like a piece of meat.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:28 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Samajwadi party or BSP?

I heard that the NY consulate is not very friendly or helpful. I wonder, what kind of reputation she has.

Maya was complaining that Devyani didn't get immediate attention because she is a Dalit. In fact, this Devyani got a lot of attention. It is as though every politician is scared of antagonizing the Dalit community. Remember what happened to Ashis Nandy - the poor guy was  treated like a piece of meat.

You should visit the one in DC, one of the worst but that's a different topic for another day.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

You should visit the one in DC, one of the worst but that's a different topic for another day.

They treat people just fine...like any office in India treating Indians.

You are just too damn Americanized.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:53 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

They treat people just fine...like any office in India treating Indians.

You are just too damn Americanized.

Not really Indian in me understands that they don't really mean it so I silently suffer Smile

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down