Max: What is the Tamil word for facebook posting? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Max: What is the Tamil word for facebook posting?

4 posters

Go down

Max: What is the Tamil word for facebook posting? Empty Max: What is the Tamil word for facebook posting?

Post by Rishi Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:45 pm

ஃபேஸ்புக் மூலம் கொலை மிரட்டல்: இளைஞர் கைது

By வாசு, சென்னை

First Published : 01 January 2014 08:06 PM IST

சென்னையில் ஃபேஸ்புக் மூலம் கொலை மிரட்டல் விடுத்ததாக இளைஞர் கைது செய்யப்பட்டார்.

நுங்கம்பாக்கம் நாரயணன் தெருவைச் சேர்ந்தவர் சீனிவாசன். இவர் சென்னை உயர்நீதிமன்றத்தில் வழக்கறிஞராக உள்ளார். சீனிவாசன் தான் வீட்டில் வளர்க்கும் நாய் அண்மையில் ஒரு கண்காட்சியில் நடந்த போட்டியில் வெற்றி பெற்றது குறித்த தகவலை புகைப்படத்துடன் ஃபேஸ்புக் இணையத்தளத்தில் பதிவிட்டிருந்தாராம்.

இதற்கு வண்ணாரப்பேட்டை கொசப்பேட்டை சந்திப்பில் லேத் பட்டறை வைத்து நடத்தும் மோகன்ராஜ் (31), அந்த பதவிக்கு தரக்குறைவாக விமர்சனம் செய்ததாக கூறப்படுகிறது. இது தொடர்பாக சீனிவாசன் தரப்புக்கும், மோகன்ராஜூக்கும் இடையே ஃபேஸ்புக்கில் கருத்து மோதல் ஏற்பட்டது. கருத்து மோதல் முற்றவே மோகன்ராஜ், சீனிவாசனுக்கு கொலை மிரட்டல் விடுத்ததாக கூறப்படுகிறது.

இது குறித்து சீனிவாசன், நுங்கம்பாக்கம் காவல் நிலையத்தில் புகார் செய்தார். அப் புகாரின் அடிப்படையில் போலீஸார் வழக்குப் பதிவு செய்து, மோகன்ராஜை செவ்வாய்க்கிழமை கைது செய்தனர்.

>>>> பதவி?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Max: What is the Tamil word for facebook posting? Empty Re: Max: What is the Tamil word for facebook posting?

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:42 am

Rishi wrote:
ஃபேஸ்புக் மூலம் கொலை மிரட்டல்: இளைஞர் கைது

By வாசு, சென்னை

First Published : 01 January 2014 08:06 PM IST

சென்னையில் ஃபேஸ்புக் மூலம் கொலை மிரட்டல் விடுத்ததாக இளைஞர் கைது செய்யப்பட்டார்.

நுங்கம்பாக்கம் நாரயணன் தெருவைச் சேர்ந்தவர் சீனிவாசன். இவர் சென்னை உயர்நீதிமன்றத்தில் வழக்கறிஞராக உள்ளார். சீனிவாசன் தான் வீட்டில் வளர்க்கும் நாய் அண்மையில் ஒரு கண்காட்சியில் நடந்த போட்டியில் வெற்றி பெற்றது குறித்த தகவலை புகைப்படத்துடன் ஃபேஸ்புக் இணையத்தளத்தில் பதிவிட்டிருந்தாராம்.

இதற்கு வண்ணாரப்பேட்டை கொசப்பேட்டை சந்திப்பில் லேத் பட்டறை வைத்து நடத்தும் மோகன்ராஜ் (31), அந்த பதவிக்கு தரக்குறைவாக விமர்சனம் செய்ததாக கூறப்படுகிறது. இது தொடர்பாக சீனிவாசன் தரப்புக்கும், மோகன்ராஜூக்கும் இடையே ஃபேஸ்புக்கில் கருத்து மோதல் ஏற்பட்டது. கருத்து மோதல் முற்றவே மோகன்ராஜ், சீனிவாசனுக்கு கொலை மிரட்டல் விடுத்ததாக கூறப்படுகிறது.

இது குறித்து சீனிவாசன், நுங்கம்பாக்கம் காவல் நிலையத்தில் புகார் செய்தார். அப் புகாரின் அடிப்படையில் போலீஸார் வழக்குப் பதிவு செய்து, மோகன்ராஜை செவ்வாய்க்கிழமை கைது செய்தனர்.

>>>>  பதவி?

Mugapputhagam ?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Max: What is the Tamil word for facebook posting? Empty Re: Max: What is the Tamil word for facebook posting?

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:57 am

IMO facebook is a proper noun, the name of a company, and should be used as such without translation.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:56 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:IMO facebook is a proper noun, the name of a company, and should be used as such without translation.

>>> To be more specific, I am referring to the word பதவி in that article that has been used to denote posting of one's opinion or message on a facebook page.

Dinamani has tranlated the English word "post: to "பதவி" which is "post" (job) in different context.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:00 am

Rishi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:IMO facebook is a proper noun, the name of a company, and should be used as such without translation.

>>> To be more specific, I am referring to the word பதவி in that article that has been used to denote posting of one's opinion or message on a facebook page.

Dinamani has tranlated the English word "post: to  "பதவி" which is "post" (job) in different context.

i think the word they were shooting for is பதிவி not பதவி. i think for an internet post i prefer the word இடுகை.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:11 am

correction to my post above:

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

i think the word they were shooting for is பதிவி பதிவு not பதவி. i think for an internet post i prefer the word இடுகை.

so the newspaper should have written,

அந்த பதவிக்கு பதிவுக்கு தரக்குறைவாக விமர்சனம்.......

i guess they had no time to proof read it before it went to print.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:48 pm

Face book - முகநூல்

It is the official name accepted by Facebook.

It is a shame that Tamis here do not set their language as Tamil in facebook. If you did, the title seen on the browser to will show முகநூல்

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:52 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:Face book - முகநூல்

It is the official name accepted by Facebook.

It is a shame that Tamis here do not set their language as Tamil in facebook. If you did, the title seen on the browser to will show முகநூல்

accepted? how? நூல் is a book of learning, an epic poem, a textbook, or a great work of literature. i don't see how someone posting their kitten's pictures and baby's first poop counts as a நூல்.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:57 pm

book - நூல்

Are you challenging this translation?

THE END

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:03 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:book - நூல்

Are you challenging this translation?

THE END

நூல் in my mind is the intangible object, not the physical object consisting of the paper, the page numbers and the binding. after all the word pre-dated the printing of books. look at this uchicago dictionary (http://dsalsrv02.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/romadict.pl?page=242&table=fabricius&display=utf8). it defines it as a treatise, not a book.

for book, i have no problems accepting puthagam even though it has a cognate in sanskrit (pusthaka). notice i am not saying that the word itself is originally sanskrit.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:18 pm

Facebook calls itself Facebook. The Tamil translation is முகநூல்.

If yoy don't think that Facebook should not call itself Facebook, start a petition asking them to change it to "mostly nonsense posts mostly by people who have lots of free time" and see how many will sign it.

Last edited by Kayalvizhi on Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:22 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:webster dictionary says

book noun \ˈbu̇k\ :
1) set of printed sheets of paper that are held together inside a cover

2) a long written work

do you agree that the word நூல் pre-dates the invention of paper and the printing process?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:25 pm

I don't know. nool means book. book need not be printed. e-book?

Puthakam predates paper and press also.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:29 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:I don't know. nool means book. book need not be printed. e-book?

Puthakam predates paper and press also.

but the original usage of the word is central to our discussion. e-book is a neologism. not particularly relevant to our discussion. i am not sure puthagam pre-dates paper and printing.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:45 pm

According to Devaneyan, former director of the Tamil Lexicon Projectm puthakam comes from pothakam. pothakam comes from poththu (bind). He said that collection of palm leaves that were bound together was called poththakam.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down