Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does this come from our caste system?

+2
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Rishi
6 posters

Go down

Does this come from our caste system? Empty Does this come from our caste system?

Post by Rishi Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:38 pm

The short point: our system is designed to keep people out, not get them in. The true value of an IIT or IIM is not the intellectual capital they produce, but their filtering expertise – which keeps all but the superlisters out of these institutions. When the people entering the institution are the best among the best, they will shine no matter what the quality of faculty or the curriculum. Perhaps this comes from our caste system, where castes try and keep others out, but we are stuck with this system of exclusion.

Read more at: http://www.firstpost.com/india/nadella-as-microsoft-ceo-a-slap-in-the-face-for-indian-system-1374951.html?utm_source=ref_article

>>>Then what about SATs? That was also designed to weed out some groups.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Does this come from our caste system? Empty Re: Does this come from our caste system?

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:46 pm

Rishi wrote:The short point: our system is designed to keep people out, not get them in. The true value of an IIT or IIM is not the intellectual capital they produce, but their filtering expertise – which keeps all but the superlisters out of these institutions. When the people entering the institution are the best among the best, they will shine no matter what the quality of faculty or the curriculum. Perhaps this comes from our caste system, where castes try and keep others out, but we are stuck with this system of exclusion.

Read more at: http://www.firstpost.com/india/nadella-as-microsoft-ceo-a-slap-in-the-face-for-indian-system-1374951.html?utm_source=ref_article

>>>Then what about SATs? That was also designed to weed out some groups.

Unlike the JEE, SAT is just ONE of the criteria. It is often used to validate the "GPA" Legally, all colleges and schools are considered equal. The SAT, GRE, and all the CATs are verification tools of the academic credentials. JEE, and all the "entrance exams" of various donation colleges are meant as exclusionary tools.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Does this come from our caste system? Empty Re: Does this come from our caste system?

Post by Rishi Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:51 pm

>>>This Jagannathan guy has to do some investigation and find out how Nadella got into Manipal institute of Technology. During my time, admission to Manipal Institutes require you pay a capitation fee. Even in 1970s, only rich kids could afford to do Medicine in Manipal.

If this Nadella fellow used influence of his IAS dad or paid hefty donation to get into Manipal Institute of Technology then the author has no business of bashing the Indian system.

If IIT JEE is similar to caste system then why are there so many Reddys and Kammas there at IITs? How come Brahmin like myself could not get in? The IIT JEE system is much more equitable than the donation college Manipal Institute of Technology.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:05 pm

Rishi wrote:>>>This Jagannathan guy has to do some investigation and find out how Nadella got into Manipal institute of Technology. During my time, admission to Manipal Institutes require you pay a capitation fee. Even in 1970s, only rich kids could afford to do Medicine in Manipal.

If this Nadella fellow used influence of his IAS dad or paid hefty donation to get into Manipal Institute of Technology then the author has no business of bashing the Indian system.

If IIT JEE is similar to caste system then why are there so many Reddys and Kammas there at IITs? How come Brahmin like myself could not get in?  The IIT JEE system is much more equitable than the donation college Manipal Institute of Technology.

Manipal is the first institution (one of the very first) to be founded as a Donation College. Of course, they ploughed much of the donation into the educational system and brought it on par with good institutions and recognition. I am sure Satya's dad (an IAS officer), decided to pay for him to go to Manipal (was around Rs 50 to 70K in the 80s). He probably did not want Satya to go to that junk JNTU or Osmania Universities.

Reddys and Kammas are flooding the IITs only form the 90s - thanks for their discovery of cracking the JEE trick. Besides, there are very few who dont go to IIT coaching classes during the last 20 years. These are more like Kumon-like people trained by repetition and perfected into exam machines. I should say other colleges do the same, but the students - not being in the IITian mold - learn more about life away from the books.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:09 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Rishi wrote:>>>This Jagannathan guy has to do some investigation and find out how Nadella got into Manipal institute of Technology. During my time, admission to Manipal Institutes require you pay a capitation fee. Even in 1970s, only rich kids could afford to do Medicine in Manipal.

If IIT JEE is similar to caste system then why are there so many Reddys and Kammas there at IITs? How come Brahmin like myself could not get in?  The IIT JEE system is much more equitable than the donation college Manipal Institute of Technology.

Manipal is the first institution (one of the very first) to be founded as a Donation College. Of course, they ploughed much of the donation into the educational system and brought it on par with good institutions and recognition. I am sure Satya's dad (an IAS officer), decided to pay for him to go to Manipal (was around Rs 50 to 70K in the 80s). He probably did not want Satya to go to that junk JNTU or Osmania Universities.

Reddys and Kammas are flooding the IITs only form the 90s - thanks for their discovery of cracking the JEE trick.   Besides, there are very few who dont go to IIT coaching classes during the last 20 years.  These are more like Kumon-like people trained by repetition and perfected into exam machines. I should say other colleges do the same, but the students - not being in the IITian mold - learn more about life  away from the books.

You Holiness and Papi, you guys are obsessed with the IITs.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:16 pm

Reddys and Kammas are flooding the IITs only form the 90s - thanks for their discovery of cracking the JEE trick.   Besides, there are very few who dont go to IIT coaching classes during the last 20 years.  These are more like Kumon-like people trained by repetition and perfected into exam machines. I should say other colleges do the same, but the students - not being in the IITian mold - learn more about life  away from the books.

Given the influential position his dad was in, it is possible that he got in for free . A friend of mine got into a donation medical college in Maharashtra for a pittance thanks to a strong recommendation from PV Narasimha Rao's relative. 
WRT IIT - I was speaking to a friend of mine who lives in Hyd and he told me that while the number of students from Hyd getting admitted to IIT is high thanks to their instructors "cracking the code", not all of these manage to pass out. Too bad they don't have their instructors guiding them on how to ace the exams AFTER getting in.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:38 pm

Hellsangel wrote:

You Holiness and Papi, you guys are obsessed with the IITs.

Sorry not we...but the country, media, and most-8 IITians themselves. Besides I am not against IIT or the IVY league per se. but, the indirect indignation shown towards at all things non-IIT. But, Indians are like that wonly... relying on the past glory when there is nothing to show at present.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:39 pm

" He probably did not want Satya to go to that junk JNTU or Osmania Universities. "

Uppili saar vadu,

Please provide us the facts behind your invaluable opinion ? 

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:19 pm

truthbetold wrote:

" He probably did not want Satya to go to that junk JNTU or Osmania Universities. "

Uppili saar vadu,

Please provide us the facts behind your invaluable opinion ? 

First... "probably did not want to"...so there is Rashmunullah-style qualifier.

Second...just ask those who come from 100s of colleges affliated to JNTU - ask the other Andhra vaadus.

Third, Osmani university in the 80s was what JNTU today is. Osmania went berserk with correspondence degrees, and had its reputation go through the toilet. It was quite good in the 70s and again the last 15 years. Again, ask any andhra vaadus from the 80s...

Besides, dont you know whatever I say AUTOMATICALLY becomes a fact?....Wink

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:36 pm

Besides I am not against IIT or the IVY league per se. but, the indirect indignation shown towards at all things non-IIT.  But, Indians are like that wonly... relying on the past glory when there is nothing to show at present.

sAmiyaar is losing it or what ? you deride B, C, D etc and automatically A gets to be the best, ain't it ?

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down