Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Einstein's theory of relativity in action

2 posters

Go down

Einstein's theory of relativity in action Empty Einstein's theory of relativity in action

Post by rawemotions Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:08 pm

The orbital speed of Earth is 29.78 KM/s

The orbital speed of Mars is 24.77 KM/s.

According to Einstein's theory, the faster you go, time slows down. I believe it as fait accompli.
I am still looking for the book which describes this intuitively in the best possible fashion.

Even though the difference in speeds between earth and mars is small, added over a period of time, relativity would cause
the accumulated time difference to diverge.

a) SO when we have Mars Rover, is its internal clock adjusted for relativity effects ?

Does anyone know ?

b) I am given to understand that LEO satellites/space shuttles which travel faster, have adjustments to time for relativity.
Do we have a clear working computation for the same ?

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Einstein's theory of relativity in action Empty Re: Einstein's theory of relativity in action

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:19 pm

don't you have to be at velocities close to light for relativistic time dilation effects to become important?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Einstein's theory of relativity in action Empty Re: Einstein's theory of relativity in action

Post by rawemotions Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:25 pm

The difference could be in Pico Seconds, but once accumulated over years, wouldn't that difference show up ?

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:35 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:don't you have to be at velocities close to light for relativistic time dilation effects to become important?
Found an excellent article on my point (b) effects of time dilation on LEO orbits.

http://relativity.livingreviews.org/Articles/lrr-2003-1/download/lrr-2003-1Color.pdf

Apparently there are many sources of relativistic effects, other than time dilation. 
There is so much to learn! 

Do you OR anyone else know of a good book to intuitively understand relativistic time dilation ?
The concept that time slows down OR that people would not age when they move fast, intrigues me!

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:47 pm

thanks for the article. i will read it as time allows. this is far beyond my domain expertise and also beyond things i have studied out of interest. i haven't really bothered to explore relativity, special or general. the only thing i know is that the former is mathematically a lot simpler than the latter. the branch of physics i have explored on my own because it intersects what i do a little and also because of my own interest in recent years is QM, but only non-relativistic QM.

at one time i remember browsing through einstein's own little volume on special relativity.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:54 pm

rawemotions -- in general if you want an insight into physics beyond the usual undergraduate level physics taught in the usual engineering curricula, and the mathematics doesn't put you off, i recommend prof. balakrishnan's lectures on youtube. i have made a reference to his QM lectures numerous times on these pages, but he also has a series on classical physics. a few lectures in that series are devoted to relativity. i haven't watched them, but if his QM lectures are any indication, these are bound to be just as delightful. here is a sample:

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:17 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:rawemotions -- in general if you want an insight into physics beyond the usual undergraduate level physics taught in the usual engineering curricula, and the mathematics doesn't put you off, i recommend prof. balakrishnan's lectures on youtube. i have made a reference to his QM lectures numerous times on these pages, but he also has a series on classical physics. a few lectures in that series are devoted to relativity.  i haven't watched them, but if his QM lectures are any indication, these are bound to be just as delightful. here is a sample:

Thanks. Will go through this. But  I had found that, what works for me is first to understand intuitively and then see how the Math fits into that. 
[size=13.333333969116211]May be my level of calculus is NOT that good that I can understand from an equation, its implication in a real world. [/size]

[size=13.333333969116211]In addition I go through lectures/books where they explain the history of how a particular result was obtained, rather than just the result.Thus the[/size][size=13.333333969116211] math can be there, but enough text can be devoted to explaining history and the evolution of the topic and explain the problem in a non-mathematical way. [/size]

So for Time dilation, I am looking first looking for something that is more intuitive,  with lesser focus on Complex Mathematics akin to the book I am currently reading [size=13.333333969116211]Dance of the Photons (Anton Zeilinger) from QM to Teleportation. At the end of the day I should get the concept clear enough that I should be able to explain it to a High-schooler, where I can explain how using calculus helps us solve the problem, but only after defining the problem in a non-mathematical way.[/size]

I realized that I have greater enthusiasm to then tackle the final math because I now see the path ahead.

[size=13.333333969116211]BTW,  I was intrigued on what work involves interaction with Quantum Mechanics and General theory of relativity. [/size][size=13.333333969116211]Is it Quantum Computing ? [/size]
I do not know who you are and do not track folks and their vocations in this forum (though have seen folks call you as Professor). 
So no need to give info  if [size=13.333333969116211]you have not already given it. But am curious on what work area could it be (apart from Core particle physics) ?[/size]

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:27 pm

i have a hard time reading your post. why are there strange square brackets with weird looking numbers?

balakrishnan's lectures are not just mathematical but filled with deep physical insights.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:14 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i have a hard time reading your post. why are there strange square brackets with weird looking numbers?

balakrishnan's lectures are not just mathematical but filled with deep physical insights.
I have no idea! I believe somebody else had a while back asked the same question on this forum to admin!
I tried repeating it. It did  not work.

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down