Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A train journey and two names to remember (Rashmun/Max)

+4
bw
confuzzled dude
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
southindian
8 posters

Go down

A train journey and two names to remember (Rashmun/Max) Empty A train journey and two names to remember (Rashmun/Max)

Post by southindian Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:19 pm

I'm sure you'll come up with something as response.....or won't

http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/open-page/a-train-journey-and-two-names-to-remember/article6070562.ece
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

A train journey and two names to remember (Rashmun/Max) Empty Re: A train journey and two names to remember (Rashmun/Max)

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:32 pm

This is an amazing article. Many thanks for the link.

Back to top Go down

A train journey and two names to remember (Rashmun/Max) Empty Re: A train journey and two names to remember (Rashmun/Max)

Post by southindian Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:34 pm

Rashmun wrote:This is an amazing article. Many thanks for the link.
Are you Okay?
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:13 pm

southindian wrote:
Rashmun wrote:This is an amazing article. Many thanks for the link.
Are you Okay?

Haven't you noticed that the muslims themselves are changing their tune - slowly but noticeably?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:15 pm

Looks like those two politicians didn't have reservation either. They're regulars, know the TTE, that's probably what that TTE does on a routine basis to the travelers without a reservation, have them share.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:20 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:Looks like those two politicians didn't have reservation either. They're regulars, know the TTE, that's probably what that TTE does on a routine basis to the travelers without a reservation, have them share.

I was impressed that both Modi and Vaghela slept on the floor in the coupe and allowed the two women to sleep on their seats.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:41 pm

Rashmun wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:Looks like those two politicians didn't have reservation either. They're regulars, know the TTE, that's probably what that TTE does on a routine basis to the travelers without a reservation, have them share.

I was impressed that both Modi and Vaghela slept on the floor in the coupe and allowed the two women to sleep on their seats.
He probably felt at home (sorry, couldn't resist), wait a minute.. they're travelling in first class AC personal coupe!! (were they elected politicians in some capacity?) My parents couldn't afford when they're working; now they don't want to travel because they are so used to travelling in 2nd class.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:56 pm

are the indian men's standards so low that two guys behaving in a polite, somewhat gallant manner requires all this fuss?

warm glow, warm food? i am moved to tears. Rolling Eyes

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:07 pm

bw wrote:are the indian men's standards so low that two guys behaving in a polite, somewhat gallant manner requires all this fuss?

Yes. Sadly, most of them have a long way to go.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:51 pm

bw wrote:are the indian men's standards so low that two guys behaving in a polite, somewhat gallant manner requires all this fuss?

You have to remember that they gave up their berths to strangers and slept on the floor. That's serious gallantry in a country where people would give their right arms to score a berth.
The cynical side of me thought that the author is trying to brown-nose ( She is a GM in Railways and he is the PM) but the information that she originally wrote about this in an Assamese newspaper in 1995, dispels that notion.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:59 pm

b_A wrote:

You have to remember that they gave up their berths to strangers and slept on the floor. That's serious gallantry in a country where people would give their right arms to score a berth.
The cynical side of me thought that the author is trying to brown-nose ( She is a GM in Railways and he is the PM) but the information that she originally wrote about this in an Assamese newspaper in 1995, dispels that notion.

i am curious to see what she wrote back then and whether it had the same gushing tone.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:04 pm

Naww...actually, the Indian woman's standards have gone up so high they hardly travel in train. Then they would know how difficult it is to travel in unreserved compartment (1 or 2nd - or even III class) and how rare it is to expect good behavior from fellow passengers.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:14 pm

2014-06-01

+1
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:19 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:2014-06-01

+1
LOL! I'm not surprised Max. You have nothing more to say.

The article is hard to swallow for some. Their cynical side NEVER dies. Smile

Last edited by southindian on Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:20 pm

bw wrote:i am curious to see what she wrote back then and whether it had the same gushing tone.
This sentence reminded me off this dialogue from Thiruvilayadal :)esp where Nagesh sulks....

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:26 pm

You may be lucky to find an Indian do that. Some Indians do give their seat/berth to others in India.

I NEVER found an AMERICAN ever giving up his/her berth/seat on a train and sleep on floor in an overnight journey.

Have you?
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:28 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

Naww...actually, the Indian woman's standards have gone up so high they hardly travel in train. Then they would know how difficult it is to travel in unreserved compartment (1 or 2nd - or even III class) and how rare it is to expect good behavior from fellow passengers.

i have travelled a lot on trains back when i was a student. there were jerks but there were enough decent men too. in fact, one time, i was travelling alone with my mother when i was about 13 and she fainted suddenly. since we had to make a rather urgent trip, we did not have reserved berths and were assured of it only after a point. the men around were very helpful and just like modi-ji, sacrificed their seats to let her lie down, got her some drink, splashed water on her face etc. i was terrified seeing her collapse and these random men were so kind. they were them bloody north indians too. i wonder if any of them turned into someone powerful. i should have noted their names down and gushed at the appropriate time! Razz

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:30 pm

FluteHolder wrote:
bw wrote:i am curious to see what she wrote back then and whether it had the same gushing tone.
This sentence reminded me off this dialogue from Thiruvilayadal :)esp where Nagesh sulks....

nah, get me sadhguru and wonly sadhguru!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:33 pm

bw wrote:

i have travelled a lot on trains back when i was a student. there were jerks but there were enough decent men too. in fact, one time, i was travelling alone with my mother when i was about 13 and she fainted suddenly. since we had to make a rather urgent trip, we did not have reserved berths and were assured of it only after a point. the men around were very helpful and just like modi-ji, sacrificed their seats to let her lie down, got her some drink, splashed water on her face etc. i was terrified seeing her collapse and these random men were so kind. they were them bloody north indians too. i wonder if any of them turned into someone powerful. i should have noted their names down and gushed at the appropriate time! Razz
I bet they were not and you are not allowed to say that on SuCH. Northindians can never do such things.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:35 pm

southindian wrote:

+1

this is not a commentary about modi, but about the low expectations of the author and you.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:43 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
southindian wrote:

+1

this is not a commentary about modi, but about the low expectations of the author and you.
MaxJi, very poor observation and inference. -1

I never have expectations from Indians and/or Americans so I'm always grateful to people who go out of their way to help others.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:48 pm

southindian wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
southindian wrote:

+1

I never have expectations from Indians and/or Americans so I'm always grateful to people who go out of their way to help others.

turns out my observations are quite accurate!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:54 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
southindian wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
southindian wrote:

+1

No Max. You are wrong. Your observations are incorrect.

You are talking about 'some' expectations I have.

I said I have no expectations. None. Zilch, Zero, Nada, Shoonya.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:57 pm

bw wrote:

The same author had described two experiences back to back on 2 consecutive days as a comparison. Naturally, these two were different from the previous day companions. she contrasting the 12 politicians the previous day with these 2 the next day.

I can assure you - as someone who has traveled in unreserved compartment often and most recently 5 years ago - what Modi and Vaghela did were indeed noble considering they were already established politicians in Gujarat and in the naarth (these two assamese bens were too raw to realize that).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:05 pm

southindian wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
southindian wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
southindian wrote:

zero is quite a small number. it's sad that your expectation is quite low. basically if a guy does not rape or molest a woman, that's good enough. well guess what, most people would consider that low expectations.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:29 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
southindian wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
southindian wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

zero is quite a small number. it's sad that your expectation is quite low. basically if a guy does not rape or molest a woman, that's good enough.  well guess what, most people would consider that low expectations.
Max, zero meaning 'nothing'. Zero DOES NOT have anything to do with small or big. Are you really educated OR have you lost it completely?

You don't understand difference between 'low expectation' and 'no expectation'?

Max, I don't have any expectations from you in getting a sensible answer. This does not mean I have low expectations.

You need to listen to this and hope you get well soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM&feature=kp
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:36 pm

haha. when you get angry, i know i've hit a raw spot and am speaking the truth. thanks for acknowledging it south(i.e.north)indian!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:38 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:haha. when you get angry, i know i've hit a raw spot and am speaking the truth. thanks for acknowledging it south(i.e.north)indian!
? Get well Soon.

Last edited by southindian on Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:40 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:haha. when you get angry, i know i've hit a raw spot and am speaking the truth. thanks for acknowledging it south(i.e.north)indian!

Does the reverse hold true as well, Il Professor-ai? When you get angry does it mean that the other person hit a raw nerve and is speaking the truth?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:41 pm

southindian wrote:
?
?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:42 pm

Hellsangel wrote:

Does the reverse hold true as well, Il Professor-ai? When you get angry does it mean that the other person hit a raw nerve and is speaking the truth?
Pseudo Professor has lost it completely.

RIP (ie Max's sanity)
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:43 pm

southindian wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

RIP (ie Max's sanity)

temper, temper!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:47 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
southindian wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

RIP (ie Max's sanity)

temper, temper!
Yes Max! Lose it, Lose it ...and get well soon.

Go to sleep Max. You have to go to school tomorrow. What are you going to tell your class teacher?
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:48 pm

southindian wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
southindian wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

RIP (ie Max's sanity)

temper, temper!

Go to sleep Max. You have to go to school tomorrow. What are you going to tell your class teacher?

temper, temper south(i.e.north)indian!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:50 pm

southindian wrote:

You may be lucky to find an Indian do that. Some Indians do give their seat/berth to others in India.

I NEVER found an AMERICAN ever giving up his/her berth/seat on a train and sleep on floor in an overnight journey.

Have you?

Wait....you travel by train in Amrika ? I did not know there was berth/seat/coupe in American trains... Or are you taking about ABCDs traveling in Indian trains? I am confused and curious.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:53 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
southindian wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
southindian wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

RIP (ie Max's sanity)

temper, temper!

temper, temper south(i.e.north)indian!
Take it easy Max. Get well soon.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:54 pm

The same author had described two experiences back to back on 2 consecutive days as a comparison.  Naturally, these two were different from the previous day companions. she contrasting the 12 politicians the previous day with these 2 the next day.

I can assure you - as someone who has traveled in unreserved compartment often and most recently 5 years ago - what Modi and Vaghela did were indeed noble considering they were already established politicians in Gujarat and in the naarth (these two assamese bens were too raw to realize that).

noble? they were decent and did a little more than expected, for whatever reasons. let's not lower (y)our standards so much. you indian men are not *that* bad, let me assure you. Razz

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:59 pm

southindian wrote:

Have you?

Wait....you travel by train in Amrika ? I did not know there was berth/seat/coupe in American trains...  Or are you taking about ABCDs traveling in Indian trains?  I am confused and curious.
I have traveled on trains and sometimes its convenient traveling through trains while getting work done. Some Amtrack routes provide good conference facilities.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:08 pm

bw wrote:

The same author had described two experiences back to back on 2 consecutive days as a comparison.  Naturally, these two were different from the previous day companions. she contrasting the 12 politicians the previous day with these 2 the next day.

Agree! In India politicians do not give their seats/berths to ordinary citizens. Period.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:20 pm

southindian wrote:
Agree! In India politicians do not give their seats/berths to ordinary citizens. Period.

Are you kidding...they hardly travel in train these days. Even in the 80s, the MPs and MLAS traveled with an entourage of "Zindabadis", and these Zindabadis would have beaten up the TTE for not giving their leaders preferred seats/coups - even in the 80s.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down