India After English? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

India After English?

5 posters

Go down

India After English? Empty India After English?

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:04 pm

In 1990, India had 209 English dailies; two decades later, the number had increased nearly seven-fold, to 1,406. “If I were young,” The Daily Beast’s Tina Brown told students of Columbia University’s Graduate School of Journalism in 2009, “I would go to India.”

Most recently, though, India’s major newspapers have been expanding in a different direction. In 2012, Bennett Coleman, the publisher of The Times of India, the world’s largest English daily, started a Bengali newspaper and poured fresh resources into its older Hindi and Marathi papers. Last October, the publisher of The Hindu, a 135-year-old English paper, launched a Tamil edition. Another leading English daily, The Hindustan Times, has enlarged the staff and budgets of its Hindi sibling Hindustan. And this past winter, a few months before the election, The Times of India launched NavGujarat Samay, a Gujarati paper for Modi’s home turf.

India’s new middle class, the rise of state-level parties and their burgeoning influence in federal coalition governments, and the rapid growth of Indian language newspapers—a continued strengthening of regional identities. Future prime ministers may struggle to replicate the sort of muscular countrywide support that Modi was able to earn. But Modi will not be the last prime minister to be more at ease with an Indian language than with English.

http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2014/jun/09/india-newspapers-after-english/?insrc=wbll

-> I'm not sure seven-fold growth is a sign of decline. In any case, last para says it all, it is regional language papers that are growing not Hindi language papers.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

India After English? Empty Re: India After English?

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:02 pm

Arrow Read again, Comrade:
The Times of India, the world’s largest English daily, started a Bengali newspaper and poured fresh resources into its older Hindi and Marathi papers. Last October, the publisher of The Hindu, a 135-year-old English paper, launched a Tamil edition. Another leading English daily, The Hindustan Times, has enlarged the staff and budgets of its Hindi sibling Hindustan.

As for the last paragraph, the last time I checked, Hindi was still an Indian language.

PS: For our Aiyer fans:

Modi is the consummate self-made man; behind him lie a childhood spent helping his father sell tea at a railway station, university degrees earned through part-time courses, and a career spent climbing laboriously up the ladder of state politics in Gujarat. In speech, he rarely departs from Hindi and Gujarati; his English is serviceable but never elegant. During the campaign, a swaggering rival, Mani Shankar Aiyar—an entrenched member of the Congress Party who speaks a plummy, refined English—dismissed Modi as a chaiwallah. But it was Aiyar who lost his parliamentary seat, while Modi went on to become Prime Minister.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:23 pm

God wiiling, India will cease to exist!

(I am the heart and soul of the Tamil people on this forum)

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:39 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:God wiiling, India will cease to exist!

(I am the heart and soul of the Tamil people on this forum)

nenappu much. you ain't my soul or heart!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:56 am

India still has 60% plus people who are not integrated into regular economy. There is room for growth for English, hindi and regional languages. A bigger problem is digital transformation that may kill print media in coming decades.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:02 am

Hellsangel wrote: Arrow Read again, Comrade:
The Times of India, the world’s largest English daily, started a Bengali newspaper and poured fresh resources into its older Hindi and Marathi papers. Last October, the publisher of The Hindu, a 135-year-old English paper, launched a Tamil edition. Another leading English daily, The Hindustan Times, has enlarged the staff and budgets of its Hindi sibling Hindustan.
As for the last paragraph, the last time I checked, Hindi was still an Indian language.
Let me rephrase my statement, how much of inroads did Hindi language papers/media make in non-hindi speaking regions.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down