When it comes to food Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When it comes to food

+9
bw
Merlot Daruwala
Kris
b_A
Propagandhi711
FluteHolder
truthbetold
confuzzled dude
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
13 posters

Go down

When it comes to food Empty When it comes to food

Post by Guest Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:39 am

Most Indian oldies don't seem as ... Americanized. They want their carbs their achar their chutney their green chilli and their red chilli powder. And they want it good. All three meals. Fresh cooked. Avoid nightly leftovers. All the right ingredients. No variations. 'This dish must have this, cannot have that'. All home remedies, freshly powdered.

I usually got used to the oldies here and tried to apply it to Indian oldies.

Didn't work lol. Everyone must get peeps from back home every once in a while to retouch their roots.

Back to top Go down

When it comes to food Empty Re: When it comes to food

Post by Guest Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:08 pm

Yeah, all the dramas is going on and on at my home with my parents here.

Mom: 'This curry was made day before yesterday. It is stale. We can't be eating it.' 
me: Mom, we eat food that's been made a week old too.
mom, grumbling: what kind of 'daurbhagyam' is that! We should not eat stale food. it's not good. Even Krishna said it in the Gita (apparently Krishna said it in the Gita that the ones who eat stale food are the lowly ppl, the Sudhras (now don't bring in the caste wars here. He meant the nature)

She believes that anything (esp groceries) are on sale because they are old/expired stuff. She's happy only if i buy them with full price.
The flours (ragi, bajra flours) have this 'muggu vasana', a stale smell and prompts me to throw them away.
Haldi Ram's snacks have an 'old oil smell' and dad doesn't touch them.
'Idlis are light and healthy because they are steamed and not deep fired.' ---well, never mind the carbs in them.
'Rice is healthy. Who says it makes you fat?' 
'Why are you eating papaya right before the meals? Won't you lose your appetite to have your lunch?' ---well, isn't that the whole point?

and on and on and on....Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:08 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:Most Indian oldies don't seem as ... Americanized. They want their carbs their achar their chutney their green chilli and their red chilli powder. And they want it good. All three meals. Fresh cooked. Avoid nightly leftovers. All the right ingredients. No variations. 'This dish must have this, cannot have that'. All home remedies, freshly powdered.

Didn't work lol. Everyone must get peeps from back home every once in a while to retouch their roots.

Ask them if they did their MS here... the chances are most of them landed desis. I have seen a handful mong them as well but overwhelmingly this is a H1 disease.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:13 pm

Kinnera wrote:Yeah, all the dramas is going on and on at my home with my parents here.

Mom: 'This curry was made day before yesterday. It is stale. We can't be eating it.' 
mom, grumbling: what kind of 'daurbhagyam' is that! We should not eat stale food. it's not good. Even Krishna said it in the Gita (apparently Krishna said it in the Gita that the ones who eat stale food are the lowly ppl, the Sudhras (now don't bring in the caste wars here. He meant the nature)

She believes that anything (esp groceries) are on sale because they are old/expired stuff. She's happy only if i buy them with full price.
The flours (ragi, bajra flours) have this 'muggu vasana', a stale smell and prompts me to throw them away.
'Idlis are light and healthy because they are steamed and not deep fired.' ---well, never mind the carbs in them.
'Why are you eating papaya right before the meals? Won't you lose your appetite to have your lunch?' ---well, isn't that the whole point?

Now now.. you're criticizing everything that is very well established as Indian (Hindu Dharma) but you take exception when I do the same Razz

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:24 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kinnera wrote:Yeah, all the dramas is going on and on at my home with my parents here.

Now now.. you're criticizing everything that is very well established as Indian (Hindu Dharma) but you take exception when I do the same Razz

I saw beggardeshi friend and his oldy mom...This is an enlightened on that wears sarees wonly. Her ramblings were no different from Kinny's mom.

In fact, my neighbor beggardeshi believes in Halaaling his goat in his garage during Ramazan as everything else is Haraam.

And, when I point these out you accuse me of being biased...Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:30 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

Forget Hindu Dharma. Making everything fresh and eating everything fresh is healthy, from any standpoint. Nothing wrong with it. But, with our busy lives here, it's not always possible. And the old ppl can't take it that we don't eat our stuff fresh.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:27 pm

It is interesting to observe cd and uppili comments on this topic.

It is a completely normal household issue. As kinnera observed the main issue is the immigrants adapting to american work life demands (and no servants and no round the corner kirana stores and no auties next door to barrow stuff).  

Secular CD works hard to transform the issue into an anti hindu dharma issue.  Then uppili finds a response in subcontinental muslim's adherence to some old unscientific rulings of a 7th century mulla.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:30 pm

The complaints are not just limited day old stuff. Sometimes,  if one cooks breakfast and leaves for work at 8 a.m., it gets cold by the time oldies are ready to eat.  Usually the d in law gets blamed for offering cold food.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Eating one week old cooked food?  I agree with most of what your mom says  (Iskcon ppl would say any food which is 4 hours after cooked is stale/not suitable for consumption)

If you include fresh fruits and vegetables,nuts you can reduce your cooking/ hours to much less...
And remember 2 meal - eater is Bhogi Smile

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:10 pm

FluteHolder wrote:

Eating one week old cooked food?  I agree with most of what your mom says  (Iskcon ppl would say any food which is 4 hours after cooked is stale/not suitable for consumption)

If you include fresh fruits and vegetables,nuts you can reduce your cooking/ hours to much less...
And remember 2 meal - eater is Bhogi Smile

When it comes to food DC_wtf

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:28 pm

truthbetold wrote:It is interesting to observe cd and uppili comments on this topic.

It is a completely normal household issue. As kinnera observed the main issue is the immigrants adapting to american work life demands (and no servants and no round the corner kirana stores and no auties next door to barrow stuff).  

Secular CD works hard to transform the issue into an anti hindu dharma issue.  Then uppili finds a response in subcontinental muslim's adherence to some old unscientific rulings of a 7th century mulla.

Smile))

You got it....If only CD gets it...but musalmans and their ilk and the likes assume infinite power and never understands reality.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:31 pm

We would be complaining about eating leftover food too if microwave oven had not been invented.
Also, in India the food gets spoiled very fast because of the heat.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:13 pm

b_A wrote:We would be complaining about eating leftover food too if microwave oven had not been invented.
Also, in India the food gets spoiled very fast because of the heat.
+1.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:26 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:Most Indian oldies don't seem as ... Americanized. They want their carbs their achar their chutney their green chilli and their red chilli powder. And they want it good. All three meals. Fresh cooked. Avoid nightly leftovers. All the right ingredients. No variations. 'This dish must have this, cannot have that'. All home remedies, freshly powdered.

>>When my parents visited the first time, I went overnight from happy hour eats to Indian meals cooked by mother everyday. It took some getting used to, but was rougher to go back to my old ways when they left.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:37 pm

PIZZA - it is good food.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:15 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
PIZZA - it is good food.

>>and it does a body go-od .... and how!Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:27 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
PIZZA - it is good food

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:13 am

Anything the Sadhguru has not spoken about? What is his advice to women on their underwear and discharge of bodily fluids??
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:27 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Anything the Sadhguru has not spoken about? What is his advice to women on their underwear and discharge of bodily fluids??

That is where and why I am better than this SadhaGuru.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:29 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Anything the Sadhguru has not spoken about? What is his advice to women on their underwear and discharge of bodily fluids??

i bet he hasn't watched any kusturica movies or talked of them. if he has, i am signing up as his devotee.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:46 am

bw wrote:

i bet he hasn't watched any kusturica movies or talked of them. if he has, i am signing up as his devotee.

Don't challenge FH this way. If he posts a clip of the Sadhguru's wisdom and claims it is all about Kusturica, the onus will be on you to disprove it.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:58 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
bw wrote:

Don't challenge FH this way. If he posts a clip of the Sadhguru's wisdom and claims it is all about Kusturica, the onus will be on you to disprove it.

i bet FH will find a clip of sadhguru talking about movies and going "isn't it, isn't it?" *a little worried now*

a sadhguru video on how he maintains that flowing beard will be a bonus.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:35 am

Woke up early in the morning to cook breakfast and lunch before leaving for work. nuktachini galore.

omelets:
She: if this is nonstick, why did you spray oil?
Me: to have a thin layer of grease
She: ok then why are you wiping the oil off?
me: to have *just* a thin layer of grease
She: what a waste. 
silent

palak paneer
She: did you boil the spinach? 
Me: no just blanched it.
She: you are going to puree the spinach, right? Or will you chop it?
Me: puree.
She: you are supposed to wait for it to get cold before pureeing.
Me: actually you are supposed to wash in cold water right away so that they stay green.
She: achchaaa I didn't know that.

She: if you are adding onion, will you bhunogi it good or keep it raw.
Me: yes I will bhuno it. (she already thinks she is making a big sacrifice as a brahmin by eating onions in any form).
She: can u keep onions very less?
Me: ya they are less.

She: you don't have tomato puree? 
Me: no why should I when I have fresh tomatoes.
She: you are going to puree the tomato right?
Me: ya. I will puree everything.

She: make sure you add ginger
Me: ya I am adding it.

She: is the paneer made of khoya or milk.
Me: umm I don't know  pale (try desperately to read from the label)
She: is it soft? 
Me: ya
She: too soft?
Me: ya I am frying them.
She: he doesn't like paneer anyway.
Me: WHAT  Mad 
She: maybe if you add corn or peas in it he will like it
Me: why didn't you tell me before (I am pretty sure I had seen him eating palak paneer)
She: I thought why stop you when you have started making it. (I had asked her before making it - ya ok I asked if she wants palak paneer with or without onions)
Me: I can discard paneer and just make corn spinach.
She: no no paneer is fine, kids may not like corn. 
Me: should I make another sabzi for him?

after many other alternative options that got discarded, today's lunch is palak paneer which he already hates, and she will hate too because I added spinach after onion (and tomato later) and didn't bhuno onion-tomato gravy thoroughly - I mashed them up so hoping it helps.  pale atleast I made killer toor daal. I mean I *think* I did.  Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:05 pm

I sympathize with your future Son-in-law....Smile

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:09 pm

bw wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
bw wrote:

i bet FH will find a clip of sadhguru talking about movies and going "isn't it, isn't it?" *a little worried now*

Even more noteworthy than the sadhguru's knowledge on all topics under the sun , is FH's ability to zero-in on the correct youtube link among the thousands of them.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:34 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:Woke up early in the morning to cook breakfast and lunch before leaving for work. nuktachini galore.

----
after many other alternative options that got discarded, today's lunch is palak paneer which he already hates, and she will hate too because I added spinach after onion (and tomato later) and didn't bhuno onion-tomato gravy thoroughly - I mashed them up so hoping it helps.  pale atleast I made killer toor daal. I mean I *think* I did.  Sad

Hang on.. All this for X-MIL?!!

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:42 pm

bw wrote:i bet FH will find a clip of sadhguru talking about movies and going "isn't it, isn't it?" *a little worried now*

On flowing Beard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkTheoMwI7c

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:01 pm

smArtha wrote:
bw wrote:i bet FH will find a clip of sadhguru talking about movies and going "isn't it, isn't it?" *a little worried now*

On flowing Beard:
Smile

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:52 pm

smArtha wrote:

On flowing Beard:

The moment of enlightenment and the moment of soul leaving the body are the same and it occurs at the time of maximum energy

- 4th law of thermodynamics (AKA Sadhguru Statement)

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:11 pm

smArtha wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:Woke up early in the morning to cook breakfast and lunch before leaving for work. nuktachini galore.

----

Hang on.. All this for X-MIL?!!

it's not xmil.

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:35 pm

And for BW and Merlotwalla Smile

With liberal - isn't it, isn't it? Smile

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:52 pm

FH, thanks. So that explains BW. What about Kusturica? Has he also let hormones hijack his intelligence??
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:31 pm

did she actually ask, "can you keep onions very less?" or is that your english translation of what she said in northindian?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:33 pm

swapna wrote:did she actually ask, "can you keep onions very less?" or is that your english translation of what she said in northindian?

let me guess. she probably said (in northindian), "pyAz thoda kam rakhnA."
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:52 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
swapna wrote:did she actually ask, "can you keep onions very less?" or is that your english translation of what she said in northindian?

meaning, "I'll pay you lot many paise for the onions that you intend to add to that dish?"

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:16 pm

swapna wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

meaning, "I'll pay you lot many paise for the onions that you intend to add to that dish?"

LOL! no. it means: please "keep" the onions to a minimum.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:28 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:FH, thanks. So that explains BW. What about Kusturica? Has he also let hormones hijack his intelligence??

does it? oh, i must watch this video.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:47 am

bw wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:FH, thanks. So that explains BW. What about Kusturica? Has he also let hormones hijack his intelligence??

does it? oh, i must watch this video.

i watched it and it made me so depressed.  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  i had to get a double shot of espresso to recover.

FH, this some message for me? "yevverything will play only that much role in my life", i promise. i can't be a slave, isn't it so?

MD, hope you feel sufficiently chastised as well.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:03 am

Nah. From from it. I'm grateful to the Sadhguru for reminding me that the body is walking to the grave every moment, so in what little time is left, I need to wring out the maximum pleasure that I can out of this body. I don't care if this is a limited, shallow view of life. Sadhguru has said it is not a crime to be limited. So this is one very joyful slave. Boo ya!!
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:54 am

FluteHolder wrote:And for BW and Merlotwalla Smile

hormones hijack your intelligence.

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:48 am

could someone please tell the sadhguru that it's "hormones" and not "harmones?"

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:58 am

michelle2 wrote:

issindit?

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:21 pm

michelle2 wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

issindit?

at first, i thought that sadhguru is a malayalee, because many malayalees say "issindit" when they should say "isn't it," and often when they shouldn't. it's a revelation to me that a non-malayalee can do an "issindit."

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:50 pm

Why michelle? why not swapna? did you kill flim flam?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:33 am

Now I can assume that BW and MD has been 'baptized' a bit by Sadhguru, let them seek or attempt to seek 'mukthi' as Sadhguru claims that 'seeking' is unique to us Smile

Enjoy and for our Grammar /English master, watch fom 17.20.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:49 am

FluteHolder wrote:Now I can assume that BW and MD has been 'baptized' a bit by Sadhguru, let them seek or attempt to seek 'mukthi' as Sadhguru claims that 'seeking' is unique to us Smile

The only time I play Youtube on my laptop is when I click on your Sadhguru links here. So Youtube is now convinced I'm a Sadhguru devotee. Today, for the first time, I launched Youtube on its own and guess what awaited me in the Recommended section? Row upon row of Sadhguru videos, Sounds of Isha and some Osho videos thrown in for good measure. Thank you FH. Not.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:50 am

FluteHolder wrote:Now I can assume that BW and MD has been 'baptized' a bit by Sadhguru, let them seek or attempt to seek 'mukthi' as Sadhguru claims that 'seeking' is unique to us Smile

Enjoy and for our Grammar /English master, watch fom 17.20.

FH, i tried but i cdn't really get past that horrible singing in total apaswaram. ugh! was it sadhguruji singing? if there was any wisdom in this one, i missed it Sad

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:54 am

i had to listen to this to get that horrible,creepy voice out of my head.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down