Fareed Zakaria's interview with Modi Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fareed Zakaria's interview with Modi

+9
confuzzled dude
Kris
swapna
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Hellsangel
Vakavaka Pakapaka
Kayalvizhi
MaxEntropy_Man
FluteHolder
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fareed Zakaria's interview with Modi Empty Fareed Zakaria's interview with Modi

Post by Guest Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:46 pm

Back to top Go down

Fareed Zakaria's interview with Modi Empty Re: Fareed Zakaria's interview with Modi

Post by FluteHolder Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:23 pm

He cannot talk in English or he didnot want to answer in English? They should have made it in exclusively in Hindi or English. Fareed should have asked questions in Hindi ? (May be he didnot know Hindi?).

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Fareed Zakaria's interview with Modi Empty Re: Fareed Zakaria's interview with Modi

Post by Guest Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:29 pm

FluteHolder wrote:He cannot talk in English or he didnot want to answer in English? They should have made it in exclusively in Hindi or English. Fareed should have asked questions in Hindi ? (May be he didnot know Hindi?).
Modi is more comfortable speaking in hindi than english. Answering in hindi is fine. Dignitaries of other countries have responded in their respective languages previously in zakaria's interviews. Not knowing english well is nothing to be ashamed of. Of all the ppl in the world, I think only indians feel like that. Slavish mentality, maybe. Zakaria couldn't have asked in hindi as it's an english program, for an english channel.

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:43 pm

I think it would have been better if they used one language either Hindi or English. Listening/watching to a translation does convey the impact/thought process/body language of a person speaking.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:47 pm

FluteHolder wrote:I think it would have been better if they used one language either Hindi or English. Listening/watching to a translation does convey the impact/thought process/body language of a person speaking.
How could Zakaria have asked in Hindi for a CNN interview? If it were a japanese or german or french or any other dignitary answering in his/her language, which is translated into english, would you have said the same?

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:57 pm

Easy... Easy.. I donot watch it if it is German/French as I donot care. I would care for Modi though. It is just my personal preference. I would like to see the eyes/gestures of the person speaking. Do you like if  BO speaking from a written script or like Manmohan (with no expression and read like robot) or other Indian politicians?

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:05 pm

FluteHolder wrote:Easy... Easy.. I donot watch it if it is German/French as I donot care. I would care for Modi though. It is just my personal preference. I would like to see the eyes/gestures of the person speaking. Do you like if  BO speaking from a written script or like Manmohan (with no expression and read like robot) or other Indian politicians?
Would rather have him express himself well in a language that he's comfortable with or would you rather have him mumble in a language that he's not very fluent in?

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:12 pm

In that case, I would have preferred to see his face/gestures while he is speaking in Hindi rather than some one else's voice in English. That is what I am trying to say.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:29 pm

there is nothing slavish about writing and speaking english well. it's the language we conduct our professional lives in, and it is to our benefit if we are fluent in it. if you think the desire to speak and write it well is slavish, you'll have to question your own decision to immigrate to the US and make it your home. is that decision slavish?

zakaria asked his questions in english because his program on CNN is conducted in english. i wonder why modi did not choose to answer in gujarati, which is modi's and zakaria's native tongue.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:32 pm

When sick all Hindi fanatics rush to UK and US for English medicine.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:32 pm

If Modi has self respect, and does not know English, should he not talk in his mother tongue Gujarati?

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:37 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:If Modi has self respect, and does not know English, should he not talk in his mother tongue Gujarati?
If you are sick, do you take only Tamil medicine? A lot of medicines are made by Hindians. Are you suggesting that medicines made in UP will only cure BIMARU of bhaiyyas?

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:51 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:there is nothing slavish about writing and speaking english well. it's the language we conduct our professional lives in, and it is to our benefit if we are fluent in it.  if you think the desire to speak and write it well is slavish, you'll have to question your own decision to immigrate to the US and make it your home. is that decision slavish?

zakaria asked his questions in english because his program on CNN is conducted in english. i wonder why modi did not choose to answer in gujarati, which is modi's and zakaria's native tongue.
Do you have any idea how grating Gujarati sounds?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:56 pm

Zakaria is a Bombaywala who left at 18. He obviously knows Shudh hindi. He was representing CNN and Amrika.

Modi knows english but not as well as hindi. It is better he spoke in hindi for his comfort. If he made any grammar mistake or wrong choice of words then no one will forgive him for english being not his native tongue. The same English-sucking pseudo whites will tear him to pieces and ot to mention drag everything from Gujarat riot to RSS.

Why is Xi and Putin dont speak in English although they know english better than Modi.

Modi - as an Indian - has every right to speak in any of the Indian languages.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:12 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Zakaria is a Bombaywala who left at 18. He obviously knows Shudh hindi. He was representing CNN and Amrika.

Modi knows english but not as well as hindi. It is better he spoke in hindi for his comfort. If he made any grammar mistake or wrong choice of words then no one will forgive him for english being not his native tongue. The same English-sucking pseudo whites will tear him to pieces and ot to mention drag everything from Gujarat riot to RSS.

Why is Xi and Putin dont speak in English although they know english better than Modi.

he'll never speak in yours. FAIL!

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:49 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:If Modi has self respect, and does not know English, should he not talk in his mother tongue Gujarati?

Who says he SHOULD or SHOULD not ? There are lakhs of Tamilians in TN whose mother tongue is telugu, malayalam, kannada, etc...and yet they hardly know their mother tongue.

Here is a suggestion for you:

Change your handle to Kinatru Thavalai

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:26 am

Kinnera wrote:

>>>Modi is smooth. Good scoop for Zakaria, but he threw a quite a few soft balls at him. Maybe he is becoming a fan:)

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:51 am

Kris wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

>>>Modi is smooth. Good scoop for Zakaria, but he threw a quite a few soft balls at him. Maybe he is becoming a fan:)
Modi is a moron who always talks about past and whines about past glory. I sincerely believe that a person with that mindset is ill suited lead a country, will not be able to take it forward

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:56 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:there is nothing slavish about writing and speaking english well. it's the language we conduct our professional lives in, and it is to our benefit if we are fluent in it.  if you think the desire to speak and write it well is slavish, you'll have to question your own decision to immigrate to the US and make it your home. is that decision slavish?

Kinnera is an English medium educated slave of Hindi; in other words she is a slave of both English and Hindi.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:40 am

For an Indian, reaching the position of pm is the highest possible achievement. Modi reached there. He does not have to suddenly become more profecient in any language. Kinnera wad right. Modi or any other leader should use the language that he feels most comfortable and reaches his audience. He is fluent in hindi and he chose hindi.
Fareed could have asked questions in English and modi could answer in hindi. Both could be translated.it is done often.
However modi's English is not particularly pleasing to the ear. If I were asked I would advice him to stick to Hindi and use English as a supplemental tool. He can switch to English to make a direct pitch to the audience or to reassure si language fanatics that he is not a hindi fanatic and he respects non hindi Indian's.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:45 am

swapna wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Zakaria is a Bombaywala who left at 18. He obviously knows Shudh hindi. He was representing CNN and Amrika.

Hey, logically challenged old fart, we are talking about modi's choice. Not your desire.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:48 am

truthbetold wrote:For an Indian,  reaching the position of pm is the highest possible achievement.  Modi reached there.  He does not have to suddenly become more profecient in any language. Kinnera wad right. Modi or any other leader should use the language that he feels most comfortable and reaches his audience. He is fluent in hindi and he chose hindi.
Fareed could have asked questions in English and modi could answer in hindi. Both could be translated.it is done often.
However modi's English is not particularly pleasing to the ear. If I were asked I would advice him to stick to Hindi and use English as a supplemental tool. He can switch to English to make a direct pitch to the audience or to reassure si language fanatics that he is not a hindi fanatic and he respects non hindi Indian's.
His own and his govt's actions thus far have been otherwise. Any person with a bit common sense can see that. No 95 percent of Indians don't understand nor can follow Hindi speeches or conversations

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:04 am

Cd
Your ability to perceive Indian peoples opinion can be judged based on past performance. You know the facts ad well as I do. Have some humility to accept your blinkers and try to unlearn your stupid biased reasoning tools.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:20 am

truthbetold wrote:Cd
Your ability to perceive Indian peoples opinion can be judged based on past performance. You know the facts ad well as I do. Have some humility to accept your blinkers and try to unlearn your stupid biased reasoning tools.
What are you blabbering early in the morning? perhaps effects of hangover on the brain are making you post such balderdash. Honorable Home minister Rajnath Singh himself explained away for the reason of Modiji's hindi speeches/interviews; that 85-90% of Indians understand Hindi which is totally false. I can confidently say that in your own state Andhra 85-90% of the population don't understand Hindi. It is one thing to say he is comfortable giving speeches/interviews and another to suggest because majority understands; which falls under pushing Hindi/Hindi fanaticism category.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:31 am

truthbetold wrote:
swapna wrote:

Hey,  logically challenged old fart,  we are talking about modi's choice. Not your desire.

he won't speak in yours either, no matter how much hindi you speak. FAIL!

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:40 am

cd

Your child like response are that amusing. But I will ignore them.   

We can quibble about percentages or discuss insignificant populist comments as nazi crimes. 

Modi and RSS are hindu fanatics and hindi pushers.  That is given. No prizes for stating the obvious.

I saw the live telecast of maangalyan and subsequent modi's speech. Despite his limitations as an english speaker, he made efforts to speak in english to reach out to non hindi speakers.  That is a good thing. Most indians recognize that and would appreciate him.

Now would I like to see him speak in english? Only if he is reading from a scripted speech at a scientific event like maangalyan speech. (he spoke with out a teleprompter and in my opinion, an extempore speech is not good for that type of occasions). He is no nehru and he should play to his strengths and speak in Hindi.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:41 am

swapna wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
swapna wrote:

Hey,  logically challenged old fart,  we are talking about modi's choice. Not your desire.

he won't speak in yours either, no matter how much hindi you speak. FAIL!
irrelevant.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:08 am

truthbetold wrote:cd
Your child like response are that amusing. But I will ignore them.   .
Look at the irony, you had called me a drunkard on many occasions and this is the first time ever I had any references of your drinking & you started acting so gentlemanly, so get off that high horse.  
truthbetold wrote:
We can quibble about percentages or discuss insignificant populist comments as nazi crimes. .
Please tell that to honorable Rajnath.
truthbetold wrote:
Modi and RSS are hindu fanatics and hindi pushers.  That is given. No prizes for stating the obvious.
I thought you said he wasn't in your previous post.
truthbetold wrote:
I saw the live telecast of maangalyan and subsequent modi's speech. Despite his limitations as an english speaker, he made efforts to speak in english to reach out to non hindi speakers.  That is a good thing. Most indians recognize that and would appreciate him.

Now would I like to see him speak in english? Only if he is reading from a scripted speech at a scientific event like maangalyan speech. (he spoke with out a teleprompter and in my opinion, an extempore speech is not good for that type of occasions). He is no nehru and he should play to his strengths and speak in Hindi.
He can speak in whatever language he prefers without giving disingenuous reasons.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:26 am

CD

What I said.

I am just saying what modi was attempting.  

It is not unusual in politics to reach out to other sections.  Like republicans say " Run to right in primaries and move to center in general elections".

Modi has PM has bigger concerns and my sense he would sacrifice some ideas to push economic growth.  One of them is Hindi.  But underlings will push hindi and he will walk gungerly through those landmines.  Only time will tell if he can get to his goals without one of the landmines exploding in his face. 

So read carefully without your preconditioned thinking.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:47 am

>>>> that is what it is. nothing more, nothing less. But the attitude in India towards the one who aren't fluent in the language is different and you know damn well know that. You don't find that kind of an attitude in other countries. If it's not slavish mentality, then what is it? I am only talking about the attitude. Most Americans don't give a damn about english either. They don't look down upon anyone who doesn't know the language well.

>>>>> Because he isn't a language fanatic. He knows Hindi well and Fareed, who was born and brought up in Mumbai, knows Hindi too. It's a no brainer why Modi responded in Hindi. Like it or not, Hindi is the language spoken by a majority in India and that's the medium Modi chose to communicate for the most part.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:49 am

not everyone is like a tamil fanatic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:53 am

confuzzled dude wrote:

Kinnera is an English medium educated slave of Hindi; in other words she is a slave of both English and Hindi.
In other words, i am not a narrow minded, bitter, insecure, jealous fanatic like you guys.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:55 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
truthbetold wrote:For an Indian,  reaching the position of pm is the highest possible achievement.  Modi reached there.  He does not have to suddenly become more profecient in any language. Kinnera wad right. Modi or any other leader should use the language that he feels most comfortable and reaches his audience. He is fluent in hindi and he chose hindi.
His own and his govt's actions thus far have been otherwise. Any person with a bit common sense can see that. No 95 percent of Indians don't understand nor can follow Hindi speeches or conversations
Really? If they can follow bollywood movies, they can follow hindi speeches too. It may not be 95 %, but a vast majority do.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:19 am

I don't understand. His answers were voiced over with the English translation. It was irrelevant whether he spoke in Hindi or Gujarati. Hence my q.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:27 am

Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

In other words, i am not a narrow minded, bitter, insecure, jealous fanatic like you guys.
Do you have any sense of irony, you're the one began calling others slaves of English and what not.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:31 am

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:31 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kris wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

Modi is a moron who always talks about past and whines about past glory. I sincerely believe that a person with that mindset is ill suited lead a country, will not be able to take it forward

>>> He is a political leader elected in a landslide election. He does not come from a patrician background and in fact, comes from humble beginnings. You don't accomplish that by being foolish. Looking at "past glory" is meaningless if there is no point to it. Looking at it from the perspective of " we have done it before, we can do it again" can be a rallying point to get others behind you and unleash energy. Chances look much better for India than they ever did under the opposite camp's rule, which was marred by corruption and lack of vision. It is your right to have any opinion, but even under objective standards going back to wallowing under socialism is quite likely not going to be a preference for most people. Modi's popularity is due to the belief that he has the skill set to move the country forward. So far, he has been out getting people to invest and buy into the India story. Zakaria himself, a former critic from what I understand, seems to be impressed.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:38 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Do you have any sense of irony, you're the one began calling others slaves of English and what not.
Yup, i did. I don't think knowing English well is anything great and any Indian who feels that it is and looks down upon others who can't speak the language fluently DOES have a slavish mentality.

Modi was as confident as ever while responding in Hindi, not English. If any Indian feels uneasy about it, it's their problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:55 am

Kris wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Kris wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

>>> He is a political leader elected in a landslide election. He does not come from a patrician background and in fact, comes from humble beginnings. You don't accomplish that by being foolish. Looking at "past glory" is meaningless if there is no point to it. Looking at it from the perspective of " we have done it before, we can do it again" can be a rallying point to get others behind you and unleash energy. Chances look much better for India than they ever did under the opposite camp's rule, which was marred by corruption and lack of vision. It is your right to have any opinion, but even under objective standards going back to wallowing under socialism is quite likely not going to be a preference for most people. Modi's popularity is due to the belief that he has the skill set to move the country forward. So far, he has been out getting people to invest and buy into the India story. Zakaria himself, a former critic from what I understand, seems to be impressed.
I've heard him bring this up enough times to give me the impression that he is the kind that dwells on the past; not surprised given his RSS background

Last edited by confuzzled dude on Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:56 am

Kris wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Kris wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

Well said.  If one supports skill based leadership, modi is more like bill clinton and barrack obama than any other leader.  Give him time to work.  Those who carp about his lunches, or languages are being purely political.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:00 am

Kris wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Kris wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

Kris, you are on a roll.

+1
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:00 am

Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Yup, i did. I don't think knowing English well is anything great and any Indian who feels that it is and looks down upon others who can't speak the language fluently DOES have a slavish mentality.

Modi was as confident as ever while responding in Hindi, not English. If any Indian feels uneasy about it, it's their problem.
You don't make much sense, as usual. Speaking in Hindi doesn't enhance his indianness nor pride to a Telugu person who doesn't understand any Hindi. You're replacing Hindi with English shows your false sense of pride nothing else

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:02 am

southindian wrote:
kris

Kris, you are on a roll.

+1
Ya, I already gave a +1 to him Smile.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:12 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kinnera wrote:Yup, i did. I don't think knowing English well is anything great and any Indian who feels that it is and looks down upon others who can't speak the language fluently DOES have a slavish mentality.

You don't make much sense, as usual. Speaking in Hindi doesn't enhance his indianness nor pride to a Telugu person who doesn't understand any Hindi. You're replacing Hindi with English shows your false sense of pride nothing else
Nee bondha! Assumptions, assumptions and assumptions, as usual, with your colored glasses on. Did I say anywhere that knowing hindi is great and enhances one's indianness or pride? Modi spoke in a language that he's comfortable with and felt perfectly fine doing so. There's nothing to be ashamed about not knowing english and nothing to feel great about not knowing hindi well either and vice versa. It all depends on where you live and many other things.

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:17 am

May be Modi chose Hindi, since Rahul's First ever and colorful interview (in English) and its backlash Smile

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:21 am

FluteHolder wrote:May be Modi chose Hindi, since Rahul's First ever and colorful interview (in English) and its backlash Smile
Smile. That interview is a turning point in Indian history, i guess. Ppl knew only then what kind of a person they'd be choosing to lead them, if they voted for congress and that sent jitters all over. Rahul was carefully shielded until then. The interview exposed him totally.

Edit: I think Modi chose not to speak in english after karan thapar's interview where he was clumsy and couldn't express himself well in english. That gave Thapar an upper hand over Modi. Modi probably didn't want to repeat the mistake again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:39 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kris wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

the man who engineered one of the great political wins in indian political history and actually has a vision & is largely respected by the civilized world as a leader of consequence is a moron but a wapo x-posting kebab munching partisanullah from northern virginia is a genius. we're on the same page

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:48 am

>>> He is a political leader elected in a landslide election in the Hindi lands and losing miserably in south and east.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:51 am

Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Kinnera wrote:Yup, i did. I don't think knowing English well is anything great and any Indian who feels that it is and looks down upon others who can't speak the language fluently DOES have a slavish mentality.

[b] Nee bondha! [/] Assumptions, assumptions and assumptions, as usual, with your colored glasses on. Did I say anywhere that knowing hindi is great and enhances one's indianness or pride? Modi spoke in a language that he's comfortable with and felt perfectly fine doing so. There's nothing to be ashamed about not knowing english and nothing to feel great about not knowing hindi well either and vice versa. It all depends on where you live and many other things.
If that's your argument I don't have much to say. Btw, none of my points were assumptions you said it all. You're an Hindi slave you've proved that many times

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:53 am

Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Nee bondha! Assumptions, assumptions and assumptions, as usual, with your colored glasses on. Did I say anywhere that knowing hindi is great and enhances one's indianness or pride? Modi spoke in a language that he's comfortable with and felt perfectly fine doing so. There's nothing to be ashamed about not knowing english and nothing to feel great about not knowing hindi well either and vice versa. It all depends on where you live and many other things.
I don't know English and elementary school teachers here know this very well.

I don't know any language well...and I don't care. Smile
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next