The NFL Thread - Week 1 picks Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NFL Thread - Week 1 picks

+3
indophile
The Absolute Zero
harharmahadev
7 posters

Go down

The NFL Thread - Week 1 picks Empty The NFL Thread - Week 1 picks

Post by Guest Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:48 pm

I'll miss some games (the Season opener plus Sunday morning ones) but, here are my picks for Week 1 of the Season. Let the Games begin.

I'll try and followup every monday with some quick post-game analysis. Until the NBA season starts - then all bets are off!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WEEK 1 PICKS: (Home Team in CAPS):

PACKERS over Saints : In Rodgers we Believe.
Steelers over RAVENS : Apt cross-sport analogy would be Warne and Darryl Cullinan; Ravens are Steelers Bunny.
Falcons over BEARS : Matty Ryan will throw for 3 TD; Cutler will also throw 3 (INT)
Lions over BUCS : Stafford & Suh - 'nuff said.
Bills over CHIEFS : Ryan Fitzpatrick is the only Ivy League starting QB in the league. Plus he's good 2 games a yr.
Titans over JAGUARS : Choose Hasselbeck in a new non-West Coast offence over the QB debacle in Jag-land.
Colts over TEXANS : (My weekly Upset pick - I know - a Manning-less Colts)
BROWNS over Bengals : Doesn't matter. Ohio sucks.
Eagles over RAMS : Vick to DeSean.
Giants over REDSKINS : Eli will finally throw his first TD and running game (he hasn't thrown one in preseason)
CARDINALS over Panthers : Larry Fitz, baby!
NINERS over Seahawks : it's a who sucks less wins game.
CHARGERS over Vikings : will be a good one but, Rivers will finally lead chargers to a winning record in first 6 games.
COWBOYS over Jets : I'll choose the team coached by the less garrulous Ryan (oh wait, who's that?!)
Patriots over DOLPHINS : pencil this in as a sure shot almost everytime.
BRONCOS over Raiders : Orton doesn't have to face nnamdi asomugha anymore.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Time to sleep now. Later!

Back to top Go down

The NFL Thread - Week 1 picks Empty Re: The NFL Thread - Week 1 picks

Post by harharmahadev Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:03 pm

Richard Hed wrote:I'll miss some games (the Season opener plus Sunday morning ones) but, here are my picks for Week 1 of the Season. Let the Games begin.

I'll try and followup every monday with some quick post-game analysis. Until the NBA season starts - then all bets are off!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WEEK 1 PICKS: (Home Team in CAPS):

PACKERS over Saints : In Rodgers we Believe.
Steelers over RAVENS : Apt cross-sport analogy would be Warne and Darryl Cullinan; Ravens are Steelers Bunny.
Falcons over BEARS : Matty Ryan will throw for 3 TD; Cutler will also throw 3 (INT)
Lions over BUCS : Stafford & Suh - 'nuff said.
Bills over CHIEFS : Ryan Fitzpatrick is the only Ivy League starting QB in the league. Plus he's good 2 games a yr.
Titans over JAGUARS : Choose Hasselbeck in a new non-West Coast offence over the QB debacle in Jag-land.
Colts over TEXANS : (My weekly Upset pick - I know - a Manning-less Colts)
BROWNS over Bengals : Doesn't matter. Ohio sucks.
Eagles over RAMS : Vick to DeSean.
Giants over REDSKINS : Eli will finally throw his first TD and running game (he hasn't thrown one in preseason)
CARDINALS over Panthers : Larry Fitz, baby!
NINERS over Seahawks : it's a who sucks less wins game.
CHARGERS over Vikings : will be a good one but, Rivers will finally lead chargers to a winning record in first 6 games.
COWBOYS over Jets : I'll choose the team coached by the less garrulous Ryan (oh wait, who's that?!)
Patriots over DOLPHINS : pencil this in as a sure shot almost everytime.
BRONCOS over Raiders : Orton doesn't have to face nnamdi asomugha anymore.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Time to sleep now. Later!

wtf do you mean by BROWNS over Bengals : Doesn't matter. Ohio sucks.

I am a semi-fan of Bengals. Go Bengals!

harharmahadev

http://www.desichatter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:23 am

Packers did pretty good. They played as if this game is the 5th to 8th part of the last superbowl. Rodgers was sharp and delivered. But me surprised at the high scoring of the game and packers at one point let the defense slip. But they won, so all is forgotten.

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:50 am

Redskins over Giants

Steelers over Ravens

Falcons over Bears

Bills over Chiefs

Colts over Texans

Eagles over Rams

Lions over Buccaneers

Bengals over Browns

Titans over Jaguars

Seahawks over 49ers

Cardinals over Panthers

Chargers over Vikings

Jets over Cowboys

Dolphins over Patriots

Broncos over Oakland

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:19 pm

The Absolute Zero wrote:Packers did pretty good. They played as if this game is the 5th to 8th part of the last superbowl. Rodgers was sharp and delivered. But me surprised at the high scoring of the game and packers at one point let the defense slip. But they won, so all is forgotten.

At one point!! I thought they fielded their offsensive teams to play defense as well.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:46 pm

Packers-Saints was going to be a shootout and it didn't disaapoint. Two of the most potent offenses in the League and defenses that risk going for the sack instead of hard blocks. Fun game! Packers remind you of that real nice kid who always stood first in everything in class, drama, etc and was had a following among boys, swooning gals and parents who felt he's a good kid. And after summer vacation the fucker got real good at cricket and has a a new hairstyle to boot!

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:35 pm

Richard Hed wrote:Packers-Saints was going to be a shootout and it didn't disaapoint. Two of the most potent offenses in the League and defenses that risk going for the sack instead of hard blocks. Fun game! Packers remind you of that real nice kid who always stood first in everything in class, drama, etc and was had a following among boys, swooning gals and parents who felt he's a good kid. And after summer vacation the fucker got real good at cricket and has a a new hairstyle to boot!

Well, their defense better show up sooner, else will end up like Colts of mid 00s. Besides, this is NFL, not goddamn Arena ball.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:43 pm

Steelers are getting steam rolled by Ravens.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:28 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:Steelers are getting steam rolled by Ravens.

I picked Steelers to win but, boy those Ravens look good! Ray Rice was fantastic and BigBen fucker stunk it up. They meet atleast once again maybe will meet again playoffs. Will Joe Flacco make that leap to elite? This will decide their season. Great hard-nosed game and a good Ravens win.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:31 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Richard Hed wrote:Packers-Saints was going to be a shootout and it didn't disaapoint. Two of the most potent offenses in the League and defenses that risk going for the sack instead of hard blocks. Fun game! Packers remind you of that real nice kid who always stood first in everything in class, drama, etc and was had a following among boys, swooning gals and parents who felt he's a good kid. And after summer vacation the fucker got real good at cricket and has a a new hairstyle to boot!

Well, their defense better show up sooner, else will end up like Colts of mid 00s. Besides, this is NFL, not goddamn Arena ball.

@Packers - Defense will show up and do enough, dude. That's all the have to do before AForce-One (Aaron) and their YAC (Yards After Catch) Rxrs do the rest of the job.

BJ Raji plays around 85% of all snaps - they need to stay healthy and pencil 'em down to win that competitive NFC North for now.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:16 pm

Richard Hed wrote:
@Packers - Defense will show up and do enough, dude. That's all the have to do before AForce-One (Aaron) and their YAC (Yards After Catch) Rxrs do the rest of the job.

BJ Raji plays around 85% of all snaps - they need to stay healthy and pencil 'em down to win that competitive NFC North for now.

Their strength is their depth, right? Chicago did well against a good falcons team, and if what pundits say is true, Lions D will test Rodgers.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:43 pm

Do you guys follow all teams or just last years super bowl team? Packers team is good but too much dependent on Rogers. A repeat to superbowl is very unlikely.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:22 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Richard Hed wrote:

Their strength is their depth, right? Chicago did well against a good falcons team, and if what pundits say is true, Lions D will test Rodgers.

Lions D will test Packers, yes and last yr's < 10 pt game was a proof of that. Lions beat Packers 7-3 in that game. Packers will win enough games in their sked to make up for any loss to Chicago/Lions.

Chicago gets inconsistent play from Cutler and that's their downfall.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:25 pm

truthbetold wrote:Do you guys follow all teams or just last years super bowl team? Packers team is good but too much dependent on Rogers. A repeat to superbowl is very unlikely.

I follow NFL in general and am in a couple of Fantasy leagues. So, my interest in it is a little higher than your typical desi, IMO.
Repeats are very very tough esp. in this free-agent world - when so many things have to fall in place! I can elaborate on it later if you're interested. Also, relying on a QB is nothing new - see: Manning, Peyton and Colts for past 8+ seasons.

My Superbowl pics are: San Diego v/s New England.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:42 pm

Thanks or your offer of help. I Have been following NFL for several years.

teams that over depend on QBs do not have a great record of superbowls. Remember Payton Manning's early years. They got their rings only after putting a defence together. I am an avid packer fan through thick and thin. Packers had a tough time with Brett Farve to reach superbowl till they got some running game and defence. Last year they did good and accomplished the task but this year it is going to be tough.

NE has flattered to deceive over the past few years. This year NE is one of chosen few.

Aren't San diego and NE both part of AFC? How can both of them be your superbowl pics?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:45 am

truthbetold wrote:Thanks or your offer of help. I Have been following NFL for several years.

teams that over depend on QBs do not have a great record of superbowls. Remember Payton Manning's early years. They got their rings only after putting a defence together. I am an avid packer fan through thick and thin. Packers had a tough time with Brett Farve to reach superbowl till they got some running game and defence. Last year they did good and accomplished the task but this year it is going to be tough.

NE has flattered to deceive over the past few years. This year NE is one of chosen few.

Aren't San diego and NE both part of AFC? How can both of them be your superbowl pics?

First of all - my apologies if I came across as being conceited. In this instance Smile I've been an NFL & NBA fan for many years and haven't really had a fun discussion with anyone on Sulekha. It's good to meet a Packers fan. Watching a Packers game in Dec in Lambeau Field is on my bucket list.

Also, I meant to write AFC since we were discussing Packers and later I wanted make NFC picks. Instead I wrote Superbowl. My AFC picks: NE v/s SD (NE takes it)& NFC : Packers v/s Steelers (Packers) and NE for SB XLVI.

Favre was a great Packers QB - he gave you guys many a great memory; but, he threw the most inopportune INTs being the gunslinger that he was and that must've hurt! Last season, Packers were debilitated with injuries last season with Ryan Grant going down early...GM Ted Thompson & Coach Mike McCarthy (who backed Rodgers through and through) did a fantastic job of drafting and coaching - almost sewing up a team week-to-week it seemed before Aaron Rodgers played lights out in the postseason to take 'em to the Promised Land.

Yes, it's true that Defense wins Championships. With stronger penalties on helmet hits, and roughing the passer for example - the Game has become much more of a Passing Game. Flacco's underwhelming QBing hasn't complemented the Raven's stellar D; so has Sanchez's uneven play for the Jets. Offense - balanced offense - with elite QB and a passable threat of a running game can and does make up for a lot of deficiencies.

It's going to be a fun season, Packers Fan!

Back to top Go down

Post by jayZ Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:06 am

Richard Hed wrote:
truthbetold wrote:Thanks or your offer of help. I Have been following NFL for several years.

First of all - my apologies if I came across as being conceited. In this instance Smile I've been an NFL & NBA fan for many years and haven't really had a fun discussion with anyone on Sulekha. It's good to meet a Packers fan. Watching a Packers game in Dec in Lambeau Field is on my bucket list.

Also, I meant to write AFC since we were discussing Packers and later I wanted make NFC picks. Instead I wrote Superbowl. My AFC picks: NE v/s SD (NE takes it)& NFC : Packers v/s Steelers (Packers) and NE for SB XLVI.

It's going to be a fun season, Packers Fan!

For someone who claims to have been an NFL fan for many years, you surely need to brush up on what teams plays in AFC & NFC.
Steelers are in AFC. Just sayin Smile

jayZ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:53 am

jayZ wrote:
For someone who claims to have been an NFL fan for many years, you surely need to brush up on what teams plays in AFC & NFC.

Hahahahaha Embarassed...I'm gonna chalk it up on my Romo-esque paav-pe-kulhaadi for writing a post past 1 a.m.; after jetlag. And blame it on the alcohol. Fucker!

Replace Steelers with Saints, please Very Happy

I will work hard on proving my bonafide NFL fandom over the season Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:13 am

jayZ wrote:

Smile I guess that's how it is done in fantasy leagues, they don't care much about teams, all they care about is the players picked, right?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:32 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
jayZ wrote:

Smile I guess that's how it is done in fantasy leagues, they don't care much about teams, all they care about is the players picked, right?

LOL. You purist fans you!

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:20 pm

Did anyone watch the Irish Vs Wolverine CFB game saturday night. Largest ever crowd to ever witness a sporting event in the US: 114 K at the michigan stadium.

What an atmosphere...truly exhilarating.

PS: Packers, Jets, Pats and Ravens can all go to HELL.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:08 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:Did anyone watch the Irish Vs Wolverine CFB game saturday night. Largest ever crowd to ever witness a sporting event in the US: 114 K at the michigan stadium.

What an atmosphere...truly exhilarating.

PS: Packers, Jets, Pats and Ravens can all go to HELL.

I did catch the highlights on SportsCenter and the interview with Denard "Shoelace" Robinson later. It must've been awesome but, if you just want to go by the numbers - then there are many a TX High School game that are huge (not 118K but huge) Doesn't mean the quality of the players is at Pro Level, is it? Both ND and UM are unranked teams. It's just that they have such a historic rivalry...

If these guys are so good: why would Brady Quinn languish on the Browns, Broncos depth chart?

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:16 am

if you argue about quality of the players and things like that, then you don't get college football and its atmosphere.

114K waving yellow towels in unison and 99% of the crowd on their feet wearing Maize and blue..thats were its at.

Closest thing you can get that kind of atmosphere is at Green Bay. Even that is debatable.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:28 pm

Joe Montana, considered to be the best QB of all time came from ND. He played some great games in his college career. College Football and college Basketball are more fun.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:46 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:if you argue about quality of the players and things like that, then you don't get college football and its atmosphere.

114K waving yellow towels in unison and 99% of the crowd on their feet wearing Maize and blue..thats were its at.

Closest thing you can get that kind of atmosphere is at Green Bay. Even that is debatable.

Been there done that. Enjoyed it. Was fun. Having graduated from a Div I school I do. I get it. BTW they also say Tim Tebow was the best COLLEGE QB ever. He was spectacular! But, have you seen how back his throwing hand goes before release - it's not suitable to the Pro game and he''s back in the depth chart. Again, I can understand the sentiment if we talk of college athletics as being "purer" or more "fun" - the bond fostered between generations of alumni and the college is truly unique. Agreed. But, college athletics - all said and done is - amateur.

To each his own.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down