Deception? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deception?

+3
TruthSeeker
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
FluteHolder
7 posters

Go down

Deception? Empty Deception?

Post by Guest Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:13 pm

http://www.newindianexpress.com/nation/Deception-Lies-Behind-Making-of-India’s-Daughter/2015/03/09/article2704869.ece

NEW DELHI: A rapist in a brown and white check shirt staring impassively into the camera, speaking sotto voce that Nirbhaya, the victim of the December 16, 2012, gangrape, had asked for it. A 57-year-old British film producer and actress Leslee Udwin, who picturised him inside the infamous Tihar Jail here, is lamenting the fact that the Indian government has banned her documentary ‘India’s Daughter’ and muzzled the freedom of expression. A missing film producer named Anjali Bhushan. A newborn film company named Tathagath under whose banner Leslee produced the documentary and has left no traces of its existence. The finacier of ‘India’s Daughter’, Tribeca Film Institute which is funded by Ford Foundation, a body under the scanner of Indian agencies for funding PRS India.
A carefully constructed web of film companies whose presence fade in and out as if through the lens of a camera. Behind the outrage on the social media and the anger of columnists and editorial writers over the ban on the documentary lies a story of deception, circumvention of rules and a host of missing links which suggest that Udwin’s story is not just what it seems to be--a gift to India.
The storm broke after February 27, when the BBC magazine carried an item about the worldwide release of the film, announcing the contents, including an exclusive interview with one of the rapists, Mukesh Singh. A crew numbering four to five people shot interviews of the gangrape convicts inside Tihar Jail in October 2013 after being granted unhindered access for six to seven days by jail authorities. Mysteriously, the arrangements were fixed by an unknown Gurgaon-based photographer, who “happened to know” some jail officials from previous assignments.

The Lady Vanishes

“Dig deep and you will find a scoop behind the making of ‘India’s Daughter’,” claims an intelligence officer involved in the probe into the making of the documentary. Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh had on March 4 assured Parliament that the government will inquire into the matter. He also clarified that Tihar jail authorities gave permissions for the shoot to Udwin and Bhushan. While Udwin, owner of Assassin Films, last week appeared on all major TV channels crying foul over the ban and hogging the international limelight, Bhushan through whom Udwin got permission to shoot inside Tihar is missing from the film’s credits.

Back to top Go down

Deception? Empty Re: Deception?

Post by FluteHolder Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:30 pm

http://www.reddit.com/r/india/comments/2ycwmo/anjali_bhushan_coproducer_of_indias_daughter/

(This is the full statement of co-producer of controversial documentary "India's Daughter". Views expressed are personal)
Make no mistake. Rape is a heinous crime. When public anger over the Nirbhaya incident boiled over, the question which confronted our society was how a human being could be driven to commit acts of such depravity. Although, it is said that the moral compass of all criminals is skewed the brutality of this incident made it necessary from a social viewpoint to examine the question of where such behaviour stems from.
The documentary "India's Daughter" was therefore conceived to serve a social cause which was unfortunately overshadowed by the self-promoting agenda of my collaborator, Ms. Leslee Udwin. I had fallen out with her by the time that the principle photography of the film was completed and was conveniently excluded from the final edits. Subsequently, her attempt to exploit the subject matter of the documentary in a self-advancing attempt to sensationalize the content has not only brought disrepute to my profession and the country but also resulted in hurting the sentiments of the victims of rape who would invariably be exposed to the film. Granted editorial and journalistic privilege, there is also a particular sensibility that should be a guiding factor as an ethical standard. This is the same sensibility because of which the international media decides against telecasting the brutal immolation of a Jordanian pilot by terrorists. The social message which is the very essence of the film I wanted to make is now lost in the unfortunate controversy which has followed. When one edits several hours of footage, it is this sensibility, suitably deployed, which comes into play. It was this 'sensibility' which I was not able to exercise having been prevented by Ms. Leslee Udwin from participating in the post-assembly review of the film. And it was the lack of exercise of this 'sensibility' on her part, (having denied herself of my input as an Indian woman), in a cynical attempt to capture eyeballs and headlines which has led to the unfortunate controversy which will continue to cast a shadow on her career as a film maker.
The story does not end here. Regardless of her lack of sensibilities and judgment, Ms. Udwin knowingly and cynically breached the conditions and undertakings under which the permissions were granted. It was clear right at the outset that the permission to shoot the documentary was conditional upon the viewing of the unedited footage and the final cut by the authorities. Having completed the shooting, Ms. Udwin arrogantly refused to comply. On being shown snippets of the film, the authorities at Tihar Prisons had categorically stated that the comments of the convict were objectionable. The authorities further asked for the full i.e. unedited film to be able to review the same in the proper context. It was reiterated that the film should not be released till it is approved by the prison authorities and the Ministry.
When Ms. Udwin categorically refuted this demand by Tihar Prisons, I was horrified especially since I had repeatedly pleaded with her to comply with all conditions and formalities. Ultimately, in September 2014, I received a letter from Ms. Udwin's lawyers terminating our agreements. One of the grounds of termination was that my warnings had in fact led to the DG (Prisons) sending a legal notice to her company on the grounds of breach of permissions granted by the jail authorities!
Subsequently, when I accidently stumbled upon the fact that plans to release the documentary were afoot, I was both angry and surprised, since I had been informed that the BBC will not air the documentary until the Supreme Court hearings were over. I immediately proceeded to warn the media houses planning to telecast the film, both about the fact that permission to do so had not been received and also the fact that the matter was still sub judice.
That despite my warnings the documentary, which includes an abominable portrayal of the issue, was still aired is a sad reflection of the triumph of the personal ambition of a producer who valued publicity and international recognition over the social agenda of the entire production.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:51 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:http://www.newindianexpress.com/nation/Deception-Lies-Behind-Making-of-India’s-Daughter/2015/03/09/article2704869.ece

NEW DELHI: A rapist in a brown and white check shirt staring impassively into the camera, speaking sotto voce that Nirbhaya, the victim of the December 16, 2012, gangrape, had asked for it.

The Lady Vanishes

“Dig deep and you will find a scoop behind the making of ‘India’s Daughter’,” claims an intelligence officer involved in the probe into the making of the documentary. Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh had on March 4 assured Parliament that the government will inquire into the matter. He also clarified that Tihar jail authorities gave permissions for the shoot to Udwin and Bhushan. While Udwin, owner of Assassin Films, last week appeared on all major TV channels crying foul over the ban and hogging the international limelight, Bhushan through whom Udwin got permission to shoot inside Tihar is missing from the film’s credits.

Cheats..cheats...everywhere cheats... You dont find honest people like the one who posted "morning Coffee" daily for years, claiming no credit...Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by TruthSeeker Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:01 pm

Cut-n-paste news items, too long to read.

urgh.

TruthSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:44 am

Yaawn...Tihar officials, with their jobs at stake for allowing those interviews, make a whole bunch of claims to cover their ass.

The BJP govt, facing a blowback from all quarters on their silly, ineffectual ban, now hints at malfeasance and dark conspiracies in the making of the documentary.

Who cares? The documentary raises questions about Indian men's mindsets and that is what needs introspection and discussion. Not some cock-and-bull foreign hand conspiracy theory that might have worked in the 70s.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:50 pm

"Indian men's mindset"

This is from a guy who chases every female handle on this forum and uses terms like "shaven" to refer to seven.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:09 pm

truthbetold wrote:"Indian men's mindset"

This is from a guy who chases every female handle on this forum and uses terms like "shaven" to refer to seven.

does he, now? Evil or Very Mad

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:59 am

Bw
Your first reaction should have been to challenge Daruwala on his hypocritical attitudes. I am disappointed you chose to look for excuses. I hope you will do the right thing at least after this discussion. I can respond to your question after your action.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:46 pm

learnt something here - high expectations seem to be one attribute of "indian men's mindset" Smile

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:20 pm

truthbetold wrote:Bw
Your first reaction should have been to challenge Daruwala on his hypocritical attitudes. I am disappointed you chose to look for excuses. I hope you will do the right thing at least after this discussion. I can respond to your question after your action.

"does he, now?" is not a question but an expression of surprise and/or disapproval.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:47 am

The only female handle I've chased on this forum is Upps Aunty. You're welcome to join the chase.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:26 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

The only female handle I've chased on this forum is Upps Aunty. You're welcome to join the chase.
 Sure.  That  clarifies a lot. Only question left is the meaning of "is".  let us get Ken Starr.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:29 am

bw,

if your response is what you said, it is lame.  The person who aggressively leads commentary on posters with certain view point suddenly is struggling to find words and expressions.  But if you say it is what you said, so be it.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down