College is not a commodity. Stop treating it like one. Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

College is not a commodity. Stop treating it like one.

3 posters

Go down

College is not a commodity. Stop treating it like one. Empty College is not a commodity. Stop treating it like one.

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:26 pm

Pick up any paper or magazine, and you’re likely to see a front-page article on college: It costs too much, spawns too much debt, is or isn’t worth it.

Here’s what I mean. First, most everyone now evaluates college in purely economic terms, thus reducing it to a commodity like a car or a house. How much does the average English major at college X earn 18 months after graduation? What is the average debt of college Y’s alumni? How much does it cost to attend college Z, and is it worth it? How much more does the “average” college grad earn over a lifetime than someone with only a high school degree? (The current number appears to be about $1 million.)  There is now a cottage industry built around such data.

Even on purely economic grounds, such questions, while not useless, begin with a false assumption. If we are going to treat college as a commodity, and an expensive one at that, we should at least grasp the essence of its economic nature. Unlike a car, college requires the “buyer” to do most of the work to obtain its value. The value of a degree depends more on the student’s input than on the college’s curriculum. I know this because I have seen excellent students get great educations at average colleges, and unmotivated students get poor educations at excellent colleges. And I have taught classes which my students made great through their efforts, and classes which my students made average or worse through their lack of effort. Though I would like to think I made a real contribution to student learning, my role was not the sole or even determining factor in the value of those courses to my students.

A college education, then, if it is a commodity, is no car. The courses the student decides to take (and not take), the amount of work the student does, the intellectual curiosity the student exhibits, her participation in class, his focus and determination — all contribute far more to her educational “outcome” than the college’s overall curriculum, much less its amenities and social life. Yet most public discussion of higher ed today pretends that students simply receive their education from colleges the way a person walks out of Best Buy with a television.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/06/09/college-is-not-a-commodity-stop-treating-it-like-one/

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

College is not a commodity. Stop treating it like one. Empty Re: College is not a commodity. Stop treating it like one.

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:58 pm

It is the very same educationsal institutions that are to be blamed for this "economic" view of education. Univ admins hv been selling education as a product, treating students as customers and paerents as moneybags. Even the Elites do the same except they compete against other elites.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

College is not a commodity. Stop treating it like one. Empty Re: College is not a commodity. Stop treating it like one.

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:28 pm

sounds like head in the clouds academic douchebag that never worked a day outside academia in his life.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down