Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

India's Rs 32/day/person poverty line

2 posters

Go down

India's Rs 32/day/person poverty line Empty India's Rs 32/day/person poverty line

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:04 am

I read a column 2 days back and it gave another side of it - made good sense. In short:

Planning commission used such a measure ALL the time. it was Rs 24 10 years back and no one raised objection then.

Rs 32/day/person when converted for 1 month for a family of 5 (in rural areas) come to around Rs 6000/month (which does not sound so bad).

The middle class that screamed at Rs 32/day measure whines at giving their servants even Rs 3000 for all day's work - not realizing they will be paying much less than the Rs 32/day.

So there.... the Rs. 32/day - a per capita statistical measure makes economical sense but not social or political sense.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

India's Rs 32/day/person poverty line Empty Re: India's Rs 32/day/person poverty line

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:49 am

So on rare occasion, you do read columns and articles that make good sense. Hope you increase the frequency of this noble pursuit, unkil.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

India's Rs 32/day/person poverty line Empty Re: India's Rs 32/day/person poverty line

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:57 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:So on rare occasion, you do read columns and articles that make good sense. Hope you increase the frequency of this noble pursuit, unkil.

It was my monthly quota and read it on Sept 30 to beat my own deadline.

Also, there was no Friday specials last week helped complete my monthly reading assignment that much easier. So, thanks to you.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down