Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HAPPY DIWALI/DEEPAWALI

+6
seven
swapna
Vakavaka Pakapaka
southindian
Kris
goodcitizn
10 posters

Go down

HAPPY DIWALI/DEEPAWALI Empty HAPPY DIWALI/DEEPAWALI

Post by Guest Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:27 am

enjoy. yet another year has passed. but this diwali, today, i turned fifty. if you notice most posts are mine in this group when you click on this site after waking, coffee, the rituals, then know this site is for the 50s gang. if you don't belong you should consider leaving. the less the merrier!

Back to top Go down

HAPPY DIWALI/DEEPAWALI Empty Re: HAPPY DIWALI/DEEPAWALI

Post by Guest Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:46 am

Happy Diwali to all. May your HbA1c never rise despite the sweets. May your Arteries remain nice and compliant. May we all continue to have the mood to walk or exercise all year. May our TSH remain less than 4. May our creaky bones be happy. May we get enough sun to Keep vit d 25 level around 40.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:56 am

HAPPY DIWALI/DEEPAWALI 2015-127

mahagatbandhan cooking up a diwali feast!

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:04 am

What are these dishes called?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:29 am

goodcitizn wrote:What are these dishes called?
HAPPY DIWALI/DEEPAWALI 2015-128

clockwise starting from dahi vada - alu dum, matar paneer, jimikand (elephant yam) sabzi, sangri (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopis_cineraria) sabzi, (mung dal) halwa. in the centre are kachoris (flour of maida and urad dal).

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:01 am

brie wrote:

clockwise starting from dahi vada - alu dum, matar paneer, jimikand (elephant yam) sabzi, sangri (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopis_cineraria) sabzi, (mung dal) halwa. in the centre are kachoris (flour of maida and urad dal).

Wow, they look lip-smacking, tongue-dripping delicious. Happy Diwali!

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:11 am

goodcitizn wrote:
brie wrote:

Wow, they look lip-smacking, tongue-dripping delicious. Happy Diwali!
happy diwali chief!!!! 

on to rangoli in the evening (the sight), puja and diya lighting.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:33 am

brie wrote:enjoy. yet another year has passed. but this diwali, today, i turned fifty. if you notice most posts are mine in this group when you click on this site after waking, coffee, the rituals, then know this site is for the 50s gang. if you don't belong you should consider leaving. the less the merrier!
>>Happy diwali to everyone in the forum. I had some sweets from the indian store, drank plum wine ( and promptly fell asleep on the couch, with the tV on). Best wishes to everyone.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:01 am

Make sure Thomas gets his medications before you offer these to Thomas.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:40 am

How come the Sikular media is more concerned about pollution by fire crackers than on health problems related to eating lots of sweets? Burkha Dutt is looking like a Sumo wrestler........

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:55 am

northpeepal's fodder.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:00 am

brie wrote:HAPPY DIWALI/DEEPAWALI 2015-127

why is the mahawhatever standing on the kitchen counter?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:19 am

swapna wrote:

He seems to be "intolerant" and "communal". He is stepping on a "cross".

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:20 am

happy diwali to all! 

the food looks delicious! 

xh's parents send a package every diwali… wasn't sure if it will come this year (cold war between xh and his dad going on for months now), and xh didn't tell me that his mom said one will come. 

so anyway, they made a delivery attempt on 9th. Their delivery always come with signature required. so fedex left a slip on the door, which all of us missed seeing. They came again on 10th. this time i was home. I heard the knock on the door, and decided to ignore it. Thought it's one of those services or church people. Then I heard a scanner's beep and realized it must be some delivery. Tried to think what did i order from amazon. Nothing. THEN it hit me, package from India!! Then it hit me again, they always ask for signature, oh no. Ran downstairs and saw the slip on the door. Heard the truck coming back from the other end. Decided to wave my hand at him and call out, but he didn't see me and who am i kidding, my voice is so unload no one can hear me. At this point I should have made a dash to the front yard to catch his eye, but i didn't. Was rainy and all, and i didn't want to come across as a crazy aunty in her PJs. Then I read the slip again and realized this was already their second attempt. Got in the car and drove around a bit in hopes to catch him at some other door. No luck. Then had a chat with them to see if there will be third attempt. Luckily yes. Will get the goodies today. Can't believe we could have been eating all that good stuff for last 3 days and missed it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:40 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:so anyway, they made a delivery attempt on 9th. Their delivery always come with signature required. so fedex left a slip on the door, which all of us missed seeing. They came again on 10th. this time i was home. I heard the knock on the door, and decided to ignore it. Thought it's one of those services or church people. Then I heard a scanner's beep and realized it must be some delivery. Tried to think what did i order from amazon. Nothing. THEN it hit me, package from India!! Then it hit me again, they always ask for signature, oh no. Ran downstairs and saw the slip on the door. Heard the truck coming back from the other end. Decided to wave my hand at him and call out, but he didn't see me and who am i kidding, my voice is so unload no one can hear me. At this point I should have made a dash to the front yard to catch his eye, but i didn't. Was rainy and all, and i didn't want to come across as a crazy aunty in her PJs. Then I read the slip again and realized this was already their second attempt. Got in the car and drove around a bit in hopes to catch him at some other door. No luck. Then had a chat with them to see if there will be third attempt. Luckily yes. Will get the goodies today. Can't believe we could have been eating all that good stuff for last 3 days and missed it.
lol, this made me smile.  Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:44 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:happy diwali to all! 

xh's parents send a package every diwali… wasn't sure if it will come this year (cold war between xh and his dad going on for months now), and xh didn't tell me that his mom said one will come. 

so anyway, they made a delivery attempt on 9th. Their delivery always come with signature required. so fedex left a slip on the door, which all of us missed seeing. They came again on 10th. this time i was home. I heard the knock on the door, and decided to ignore it. Thought it's one of those services or church people. Then I heard a scanner's beep and realized it must be some delivery. Tried to think what did i order from amazon. Nothing. THEN it hit me, package from India!! Then it hit me again, they always ask for signature, oh no. Ran downstairs and saw the slip on the door. Heard the truck coming back from the other end. Decided to wave my hand at him and call out, but he didn't see me and who am i kidding, my voice is so unload no one can hear me. At this point I should have made a dash to the front yard to catch his eye, but i didn't. Was rainy and all, and i didn't want to come across as a crazy aunty in her PJs. Then I read the slip again and realized this was already their second attempt. Got in the car and drove around a bit in hopes to catch him at some other door. No luck. Then had a chat with them to see if there will be third attempt. Luckily yes. Will get the goodies today. Can't believe we could have been eating all that good stuff for last 3 days and missed it.
could one describe your experience as follows?

"my parents-in-law sent us a food package from india. fedex made two attempts to deliver it, but we weren't home. they'll make one more attempt."

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:45 am

swapna wrote:
northpeepal's fodder.
Thomas, you are not getting any so don't fret, fume. Smile  Check with your doctor if you are allowed to taste any of the above.

Last edited by southindian on Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:47 am

swapna wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:happy diwali to all! 

could one describe your experience as follows?

"my parents-in-law sent us a food package from india. fedex made two attempts to deliver it, but we weren't home. they'll make one more attempt."
Thomas, Thomas....

Nope! You are not getting any. Did you eat your morning food paste?
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:00 am

swapna wrote:

reading that made my cry.  Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:18 am

Vakabaka Pakapaka wrote:
swapna wrote:

is he of a certain caashTu and subcaashTu? is he allowed to cook only for people of certain subcaashTus?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:27 am

swapna wrote:
Vakabaka Pakapaka wrote:
swapna wrote:
brie wrote:

is he of a certain caashTu and subcaashTu? is he allowed to cook only for people of certain subcaashTus?
that made cry a bit more.  Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:30 am

HAPPY DIWALI/DEEPAWALI 2015-132

HAPPY DIWALI/DEEPAWALI 2015-130HAPPY DIWALI/DEEPAWALI 2015-131

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:44 am

Beautiful! Older also made some rangoli this year. Not a bad attempt.

Just realized I also have fancy divas. Forgot those when I lighted up some yesterday. Used either clay ones or simple wax ones. Will take the fancy ones out tonight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:16 am

brie wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:so anyway, they made a delivery attempt on 9th. Their delivery always come with signature required. so fedex left a slip on the door, which all of us missed seeing. They came again on 10th. this time i was home. I heard the knock on the door, and decided to ignore it. Thought it's one of those services or church people. Then I heard a scanner's beep and realized it must be some delivery. Tried to think what did i order from amazon. Nothing. THEN it hit me, package from India!! Then it hit me again, they always ask for signature, oh no. Ran downstairs and saw the slip on the door. Heard the truck coming back from the other end. Decided to wave my hand at him and call out, but he didn't see me and who am i kidding, my voice is so unload no one can hear me. At this point I should have made a dash to the front yard to catch his eye, but i didn't. Was rainy and all, and i didn't want to come across as a crazy aunty in her PJs. Then I read the slip again and realized this was already their second attempt. Got in the car and drove around a bit in hopes to catch him at some other door. No luck. Then had a chat with them to see if there will be third attempt. Luckily yes. Will get the goodies today. Can't believe we could have been eating all that good stuff for last 3 days and missed it.
lol, this made me smile.  Smile

lol the door bell rang just now and i ran to it excitedly. some lady wanted to talk about the great story of, 'how god views war'… in the middle of her first sentence after her introduction of herself, her friend and her baby, i waved my hand, smiled, and said, 'uhh, sorry not interested'. and continued smiling. She said, 'oh okie then, have a good day!'. I said you too and closed the door. Looked back to see son standing on top of the foyer, pointing his finger at me and saying, 'you MEANIE!! How can you say no to people like that'. So anyway. hard luck continues. I bet the next doorbell would be someone asking to clean the leaves.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:51 am

the package came <3<3

sender name: x-mil. receiver: older. 

lol… we know very well x-fil packs everything. Such stubbornness lol. 

after removing 3 layers of solid packing material… 

*am in heaven*

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:39 am

Hope this festival of lights enlighten your home and heart with peace and serenity.
Wishing you loads of love and happiness on Diwali.

शुभ दीपावली

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:51 am

brie wrote:

<3

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:34 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:the package came <3<3

sender name: x-mil. receiver: older. 

lol… we know very well x-fil packs everything. Such stubbornness lol. 

after removing 3 layers of solid packing material… 

*am in heaven*
lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:13 pm

swapna wrote:
Vakabaka Pakapaka wrote:
swapna wrote:

Thomas, stop trying. You are not getting any of this despite your repeat-try-caashTus...
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:04 pm

brie wrote:enjoy. yet another year has passed. but this diwali, today, i turned fifty. if you notice most posts are mine in this group when you click on this site after waking, coffee, the rituals, then know this site is for the 50s gang. if you don't belong you should consider leaving. the less the merrier!
happy deepavali. some folks have their new year today?? I am officially "Dhokla'd" out :-) this woman at work overdid it. actually, it was not her fault. i binged.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:21 pm

awesome photos, brie

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:17 pm

my only indian deepavali was when i was less than 7yrs. i was wearing a red dress and there were several lamps in the courtyard on the ground . the back of my dress caught on fire (it was a somehwat big fire around one person) and my grandma and uncle came running towards me threw me in a big cement water container. no burns at all! i don't remember eating any sweets.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:21 pm

here in ammerica if any indian maid comes over we pay them 125 per day plus bear the costs of their ride and meals. they now they're in demand and they know indinas are well-off so they are very demanding. my  mom has currently hired a non-indian maid for 100 per day. of course, mom does all the cooking herself.  we don't want other people touching our food. who knows if they have scabies or gi worms or something.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:27 pm

i.e.  mom  cooks irrespective of the help's ethnicity.
you can never to be too sure about the next person's health. i mean, my uncle was telling me the largest number of hiv cases that he has seen come from along the highway to tirupati. in fact at home we call it hiv highway.
looks like so far brie's cook is healthy. after all brie is well and alive and happy. happy deepavali and happy birthday, brie.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:32 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/worldnews/11988670/Diwali-2015-The-festival-of-lights-in-pictures.html?frame=3498315

oh my god, check out picture 14, reminds me of my pup.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:18 am

my wife is more religious than me (i don't practise). 

she sponsored the floral arrangement for two temples in our neighbourhood this diwali -- kali and sithala. i stepped in and prayed last night. 

kali temple:

HAPPY DIWALI/DEEPAWALI 2015-136

kali in the sanctum sanctorum:

HAPPY DIWALI/DEEPAWALI 2015-134

babosa maharaj in the kali temple (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4wsSy-WILA) -- a hanuman bhakt:

HAPPY DIWALI/DEEPAWALI 2015-135

sithala mandir (goddess mariamman in south):

HAPPY DIWALI/DEEPAWALI 2015-133

sithala mata in the sanctum sanctorum:

HAPPY DIWALI/DEEPAWALI 2015-137

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:15 am

Impedimenta wrote:
happy deepavali. some folks have their new year today?? I am officially "Dhokla'd" out :-) this woman at work overdid it. actually, it was not her fault. i binged.
Smile @ dhokla'd out. it is dhokla new year today. Smile gujarati new year.

Back to top Go down

Post by TruthSeeker Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:48 pm

Happy Diwali, brie.

Somehow only this comes to mind whenever I think of Diwali in US. This year a working day.

Unless one is in CA or TX or NJ, Why do we celebrate Diwali in US:

So, like this dude had, like, a big cool kingdom and people liked him.
But, like, his step mom, or somethin’, was kind of a bitch, and she forced
her husband to, like, you know, send this cool dude, he was Ram, to some national forest or reserve or somethin’.

Since he was going, for like, somethin’ like more than 10 years or so,
he decided to take his wife and his bro along. You know… so that they
could all chill out together. But dude, the forest was reeeeeeal scary shit,
really man, they had monkeys and devils and shit like that. But this
dude, Ram, kicked their ass with darts, bows and arrows, so it was fine. But then some bad gansta’ boys, some jerk called Ravan, picks up his babe (Sita) and lures her away to his hood. And boy, were our man, and his bro Lakshman, pissed! And you don’t piss this son-of-a-gunz ‘coz, he just kicks ass and like, all the gods were with him. So anyways, you don’t mess with gods.

So, Ram and his bro get an army of monkeys. Dude, don’t ask me how they trained the damn monkeys, just go along with me, OK. So, Ram, Lakhs, and their monkeys whip this gansta’s ass in his own hood. Anyways, by now, their time’s up in the forest and anyways, it gets kinda boring. You know no TVs or malls or shit like that. So, they decided to hitch back home.
His bro and the wife are back home. People thought, well, you know,
atleast they deserve somethin’ nice and they didn’t have any bars and clubs in those days. So they couldn’t take them out for a drink, so the people decided to smoke or shit. And they also had some lamps, they lit the lamps too.
So it was pretty cooool… you know with all those fireworks really,
they had some local band play along with the fireworks, and you know what, dude, that was the very first, no kidding, that was the very first
musical-synchronized fireworks. You know, like the 4th of the July
stuff, but just more cooler and stuff, you know. And, so dude, that was how, like, this festival started. Cool!!!

Diwali Rocks Maaaan!

TruthSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down