View from the Ground: Gujarat Elections defy easy predictions Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

View from the Ground: Gujarat Elections defy easy predictions

Go down

View from the Ground: Gujarat Elections defy easy predictions Empty View from the Ground: Gujarat Elections defy easy predictions

Post by Guest Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:49 am

There was a sense that if the BJP was voted out or returned diminished in Gujarat, it would reflect poorly on Modi and the centre. Pankaj Patel, a young jeweller in Surat, spoke of the contradictions influencing his choice. “Modi’s work is good, as chief minister and as Prime Minister. But the demonetisation move was a shocker. My heart’s still with the BJP but my head tells me Modi needs to be taught a lesson, he must hit a speed brake,” said Pankaj.

On the other hand, Jaideep Patel, a builder in Sanand (Ahmedabad district), said with a tinge of remorse, “This time we want the BJP out. In 2019, I will again vote Modi.”

None of those who expressed vehemence against the BJP had apparently given a thought to the implications of having a non-BJP government in Gandhinagar while the BJP ruled Delhi until 2019 and the possibility of the Modi dispensation then being “uncooperative” towards a state that was the recipient of Delhi’s munificence for three years and more.

Conversely, some voters felt that while dislodging the BJP in Gujarat was “unfeasible” at this point, the verdict must ensure that the Congress emerged as a stronger opposition sufficiently empowered to veto the BJP’s “anti-people” policies and laws. K M Patel, a Surat resident from Bhavnagar who owned a transport business, said, “Modi refuses to recognise the fact that 60% to 70% of India is poor.”

http://www.epw.in/journal/2017/49/web-exclusives/view-ground-gujarat-elections-defy-easy-predictions.html

Back to top Go down