Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

turkeys in my cul-de-sac

+8
Merlot Daruwala
Kris
charvaka
Nila
Maria S
indophile
Bittu
MaxEntropy_Man
12 posters

Go down

turkeys in my cul-de-sac Empty turkeys in my cul-de-sac

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:33 am

working from home and watching a bunch of turkeys from my office room. bunch of tom turkeys and one lone female. there is one clearly alpha male with his chest puffed up; he is serenading her while he does the gobble gobble. the other guys are a bit of scared of him and she has absolutely no interest in any of the three guys. funny to watch.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

turkeys in my cul-de-sac Empty Re: turkeys in my cul-de-sac

Post by Guest Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:25 pm

Oh. This so reminded me of anetra and her duck pond [rape] stories.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:40 pm

max. you can't make these kind of threads WITHOUT A PICTURE. Why didn't you click a pic??

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:01 pm

Do turkeys make a mess where they roam? I know geese do. We have a lake closeby with a nice paved 2-mile long jogging/bicycle path around it. But these geese land there and shit all over the path rendering it unusable.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:27 pm

I have seen a Alpha turkey and some tom turkeys go after...well, You mean real turkeys Smile

Animal and Bird mating games/rituals are always amusing (well, if they are not too aggressive!) to observe! Have you seen a peacock (real of course!) woo a peahen? Now that's a grand display.. strutting his feathers..and all!

It was nice to go and say hello to Ani's ducks..while visiting her! I guess Max's turkeys will be forever remembered now like Ani's ducks too!

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:41 pm

Lucky birds! They don't have to worry about dinner plans, homework, work, and so many things. But then one day they might be roasted, stuffed, center pieced and lime lighted over dining. Life ain't fair for birds as well as humans.

I think she is one smart turkey Smile

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:48 pm

I get rabbits and deer in my yard (ya, in the busy suburbs of ATL, not some woody countryside). It's a nuisance actually as they eat my li'l plants and shrubs. Will try to take a pic next time and post here.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:07 pm

kinnera wrote:I get rabbits and deer in my yard (ya, in the busy suburbs of ATL, not some woody countryside). It's a nuisance actually as they eat my li'l plants and shrubs. Will try to take a pic next time and post here.
Last night I almost ran over a deer pulling out of the driveway -- had to brake hard and avoided it by a foot or so. We regularly have deer show up right outside our door. The landlord has fenced up all of his garden space so the deer won't destroy his vegetable and flower garden. Even small trees -- like orange or lemon trees -- won't survive with so many deer around.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:42 pm

we have rabbits, red foxes, and deer too. lots of deer.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:53 pm

Almost hit a deer today when driving back home. I was the only car in the left lane. He decided to cross. Have already had one deer accident. Have learned they respond to honking. So I honked crazy. He sped up and crossed safely. Luckily he didn't hit any car on the other side too. Rare random deer with a good traffic sense I guess.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:57 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:Have learned they respond to honking.
Good to know! Will try this next time -- if I can remember this in the split second when an idiot deer jumps out in front of my car.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:02 pm

charvaka wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:Have learned they respond to honking.
Good to know! Will try this next time -- if I can remember this in the split second when an idiot deer jumps out in front of my car.

This is the third time a deer has crossed me. First time was insane. He was standing there. I slowed down to 5 mph. And just when I was to go past him the idiot ran into my headlight. Later my BFF asked, 'did you honk?'. I was like I don't even know if that works.

Got the car repaired. Two weeks later, another deer. Two of them. So I honked and they ran. Same happened today. I honked and he began galloping. (was running normally before). So ya, tried and tested twice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:17 pm

charvaka wrote:
kinnera wrote:I get rabbits and deer in my yard (ya, in the busy suburbs of ATL, not some woody countryside). It's a nuisance actually as they eat my li'l plants and shrubs. Will try to take a pic next time and post here.
Last night I almost ran over a deer pulling out of the driveway -- had to brake hard and avoided it by a foot or so. We regularly have deer show up right outside our door. The landlord has fenced up all of his garden space so the deer won't destroy his vegetable and flower garden. Even small trees -- like orange or lemon trees -- won't survive with so many deer around.

>>> I see them late at night sometimes, but a lot more jack rabbits. During the daytime, turkeys seem to be commonplace around where I live, but occasionally to my surprise, peacocks. I thought they were more tropical climate birds.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:20 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:This is the third time a deer has crossed me.

Does Tracy find deer?

Do deer find Tracy?

Is Tracy a deer?

All of the above?

None of the above?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:27 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:
This is the third time a deer has crossed me.

What does your daily horoscope say about daily deer x-ing?

May be it was your cat in its previous life.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:29 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Does Tracy find deer?

Do deer find Tracy?

Is Tracy a deer?

All of the above?

None of the above?

hahaha... u guys don't vote in my polls, and then make fun of it later. Meanies!

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:52 am

We were getting dropped at home after leaving our car for repair at dealer. Van was going towards deep in suburban woods ING office complex. On the long strech of the deserted road two black bear were crossing. Driver stopped. One female executive in office attire opened the door and jumped out to.take pictures. It took us some time to get her back inside the van. Fortunately bears did not pay attention and continued their walk into woods. We watched for five minutes as majestics animals played around before finally disappearing into woods.

Deer are not very bright. Sometimes they ram into your headlights. Deer hits cost thousands of dollars of damage.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:05 am

that is nothing. the other day, i was driving on this road near my place and i saw a rabid dog, don't you know. i honked but he paid no attention and came right in front of my car as is any rabid dog's wont. i stopped and let his majesty pass around the wheels and he did not even thank me. i then went ahead a few meters and i saw a cow! this cow, it appears, was close to attaining nirvana for she did not even move a muscle when i honked. i was watching her buddha-like stance with great interest when His Dogship and his faithful supporters came from behind my car and started barking at the cow. and then a donkey came from behind the bushes and started his out-of-tune chorus.

my point is, i drive on indian roads where spotting such exotic animals as dog, cow and donkey is a common thing. so, don't you people ever brag about spotting deer, rabbit, peacock, turkey, fox, goose and dodo.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:34 am

vinodini,

What were you doing during the chorus? just curious......

PS: i miss crows. just saying.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:38 am

Hehe - Ive accumulated tons of animals on the road stories in 4
Months in India so can relate to AB's stories above :-)

Have 2 street dogs that accompany my mom
Or I all the way back from the street beginning and into our gate. They bark at anyone who looks our way and take shelter in our garage during nighttimes. Seems like they adopted our home and family...

@AB - Did Mahela diss you in real life like maybe look ur other way when you asked for a autograph, or send back your beer at the airport bar or worse? Why your cricket-hate directed towards him? Jobless minds want to know...truth will set you free :-)

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:43 am

Impedimenta wrote:vinodini,

What were you doing during the chorus? just curious......

PS: i miss crows. just saying.

priyamvadai, you devil, i think i understand your twisted koschen. but no, you are wrong. i wasn't participating.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:46 am

Richard Hed wrote:

@AB - Did Mahela diss you in real life like maybe look ur other way when you asked for a autograph, or send back your beer at the airport bar or worse? Why your cricket-hate directed towards him? Jobless minds want to know...truth will set you free :-)

for no apparent reason, really. it is my habit to make some cricketer a victim of my wrath every once in a while. there used to be mohd kaif who gave me good opportunities in the past and now it is MJ. the script unfolded just as i expected it (after his SA tour) and that's another reason.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:54 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Does Tracy find deer?

Do deer find Tracy?

Is Tracy a deer?

All of the above?

None of the above?

rofl

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down