Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

dosa

+2
Propagandhi711
Impedimenta
6 posters

Go down

dosa Empty dosa

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:39 am

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1120709/jsp/foreign/story_15707428.jsp

Dosa in top 10

New York, July 8 (PTI)
: The masala dosa has made it to a list of “10 foods to try before you die”, compiled by the Huffington Post. Put together by travel blog viator for the newspaper, the list also includes the Peking duck from China, BBQ ribs from the US and teppanyaki from Japan.

“The paper-thin pancake is made from rice and lentils, cooked to lacy perfection on a hot griddle. What creates the more-ish flavor is a spiced concoction of mashed cooked potatoes and fried onions, served with a liberal dose of garlicky chutney,” the website says of the masala dosa.

Escargots from France, Moussaka from Greece and Zucchini flowers from Italy are some of the other dishes that make the cut.

Back to top Go down

dosa Empty Re: dosa

Post by Impedimenta Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:08 am

huffington post made a typo in the article above. blue flower will be given to the person who identifies the typo.

Droooool @ this description

“The paper-thin pancake is made from rice and lentils, cooked to lacy
perfection on a hot griddle. What creates the more-ish flavor is a
spiced concoction of mashed cooked potatoes and fried onions, served
with a liberal dose of garlicky chutney,”

Well, i had it yesterday morning:-) i should start posting pictures in the food thread to be accepted into the food cooking and showing offers club.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:11 am

The potato and onion in the dosa made you drool? I thot it was a major among 'real' dosa lovers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:26 am

Impedimenta wrote:huffington post made a typo in the article above. blue flower will be given to the person who identifies the typo.
they spelt dosA as dosa!

i should start posting pictures in the food thread to be accepted into the food cooking and showing offers club.
yes, you should!

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:10 am

mm mm mmmm@peking duck. there's a place near my house that makes the perfect peking duck - crispy skin, succulent flesh and they make the perfect duck soup using the bones after you've eaten the meat.

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:http://www.telegraphindia.com/1120709/jsp/foreign/story_15707428.jsp

Dosa in top 10

New York, July 8 (PTI)
: The masala dosa has made it to a list of “10 foods to try before you die”, compiled by the Huffington Post. Put together by travel blog viator for the newspaper, the list also includes the Peking duck from China, BBQ ribs from the US and teppanyaki from Japan.

“The paper-thin pancake is made from rice and lentils, cooked to lacy perfection on a hot griddle. What creates the more-ish flavor is a spiced concoction of mashed cooked potatoes and fried onions, served with a liberal dose of garlicky chutney,” the website says of the masala dosa.

Escargots from France, Moussaka from Greece and Zucchini flowers from Italy are some of the other dishes that make the cut.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:43 am

Here's the list:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/viator/10-foods-around-the-world_b_1576005.html

I've had -6/10:

Masala Dosa(i)

Moussaka

Peking Duck

BBQ Ribs

Seafood Curry Laksa

Som tom (Papaya Salad)

*Hope to..try the 4 left..before Heavenly manna:)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:30 am

that is impressive maria! my score is 5/10

peking duck (too tough/gamey for my taste)
escargots (delicious! snails are worth dying for but unfortunately the only true french restaurant in my town closed down many years ago)
moussaka
dosa
BBQ ribs

i have to try teppanyaki and the other SE asian soups and salads.

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:
i should start posting pictures in the food thread to be accepted into the food cooking and showing offers club.
yes, you should!
...but i know you won't -- challenge!! are you scared to take up my challenge?

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:47 am

Thanks Mr. HK!

I can be coerced into trying various foods, with some exceptions. Have an adventurous family and extended famil(ies)- when it comes to food..esp. non veg..they will try almost anything! I enjoy cooking, but draw the line when it comes to the "unusual-strange" (for us!) *Speaking exceptions..can't bring myself to try Escargots!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:50 am

mine is 2/10.

moussaka
dosa

For moussaka, I had to see the pic and remember that I have eaten it. Am bad with names.

on food topic:
Had goat masala y'day. Totally grossed my friend out as I relished a decent sized piece of cartilage, after being delighted to discover it of course. I feared vomit after I tried to offer it with, 'oh try it, it's good', so I had to put it away. But it was too good to give up, so picked it up again as the waiter was picking up the plates, and finished it, but covered it with another hand. Did get a comment later, '.... a brahmin woman eating meat like that...'. Rolling Eyes

How many here who like to gnaw/munch on the cartilage? How many get grossed out?

Last edited by Natalia Romanova on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:51 am

Maria S wrote:*Speaking exceptions..can't bring myself to try Escargots!
then you are ready for heavenly manna. can't promise you if it will be more tasty (which it will not be).

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:56 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Maria S wrote:*Speaking exceptions..can't bring myself to try Escargots!
then you are ready for heavenly manna. can't promise you if it will be more tasty (which it will not be).

LOL! Good onedosa 459784477 Mr. HK!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:42 pm

Natalia Romanova wrote:mine is 2/10.

moussaka
dosa

For moussaka, I had to see the pic and remember that I have eaten it. Am bad with names.

on food topic:
Had goat masala y'day. Totally grossed my friend out as I relished a decent sized piece of cartilage, after being delighted to discover it of course. I feared vomit after I tried to offer it with, 'oh try it, it's good', so I had to put it away. But it was too good to give up, so picked it up again as the waiter was picking up the plates, and finished it, but covered it with another hand. Did get a comment later, '.... a brahmin woman eating meat like that...'. Rolling Eyes

How many here who like to gnaw/munch on the cartilage? How many get grossed out?

Tracy,

You are a brahmin? Did not know that! And I know many brahmin women who love non-veg foods- gobble and can munch way better than I can:)

Seriously, it depends on the mood. But, I do like to see people absolutely enjoy their food in informal settings- with family and friends- relish every bit of it in a natural way! Almost child-like..the simple pleasures of life!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:09 pm

Natalia Romanova wrote:How many here who like to gnaw/munch on the cartilage? How many get grossed out?
aah, i don't much enjoy cartilage but you might enjoy paya! i was once thinking of having it made but abandoned the idea when i net-searched for the recipe.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:12 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Natalia Romanova wrote:How many here who like to gnaw/munch on the cartilage? How many get grossed out?
aah, i don't much enjoy cartilage but you might enjoy paya! i was once thinking of having it made but abandoned the idea when i net-searched for the recipe.

I guess I would. with rumali roti.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:38 pm

where is tom yum soup and vietnamese pho in this list? those are only the two greatest foods known to mankind.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:06 pm

there is no alu-alu or alu-ghobi in this list. I reject this.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:55 am

Oh I love cartilage*. Any time I'm at a Portuguese restaurant, I look for their marinated / smoked pigs ears, which is all cartilage.

* As is common to all new converts to non-vegetarianism -- per Vee Unkil's wisdom.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:01 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

Oh why didn't I think of paya soup?? A couple of weeks back, while it was pouring outside, I began an absolutely decadent lunch with paya soup. Cartilagenous manna which hit the spot. The lunch lasted over three full hours and included pork sorpotel and many other items which I now forget what with all those bottles of lawnmower beer downed. But yes, paya soup is a great choice for cartilage fans.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:08 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Oh I love cartilage*. Any time I'm at a Portuguese restaurant, I look for their marinated / smoked pigs ears, which is all cartilage.

* As is common to all new converts to non-vegetarianism -- per Vee Unkil's wisdom.

even pigs are not safe from you. Shocked

what's the vee-wisdom? pliss to explain in detail.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:12 am

Natalia Romanova wrote:what's the vee-wisdom? pliss to explain in detail.
naya mussalmaan pyaz jada khata hai. a new muslim convert eats a lot of onions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:21 am

Natalia Romanova wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

even pigs are not safe from you. Shocked

what's the vee-wisdom? pliss to explain in detail.

Pigs are especially not safe from me. Happily for them, most restaurants in Mumbai don't offer pork (for fear of offending Muslims), which is why I'm happiest when I'm traveling in the Far East. The Chinese really know how to cook pig. Just recalling my last meal of roast pig -- ooh that crispy skin, perfectly browned -- is making me salivate (and lunch time is still a good couple of hours away).

Vee unkil deduced from my enthusiastic descriptions of my largely non-vegetarian meals that I'm a recent convert to non-vegetarianism and that it is only neo-converts who brag about their new found religion. Unmasked thusly by that master-deducer, I was forced to reveal my real name (Jignes Patel) and how I'm the black sheep in my 100% vegetarian Gujarati (joint) family.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:34 am

haha @jignes patel.

jignes do you wear fus nu jeans ne smes nu t-sert ne roos nu soos?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:39 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:haha @jignes patel.

jignes do you wear fus nu jeans ne smes nu t-sert ne roos nu soos?

Prof Min_Mandodari, I am not liking how you are making fun of how I espeak Englis. Tambrahms not only look down on Telugus but also on Gujjus I see.

Sd

Jignes Patel
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:45 am

lol!

sd/-

Huzefa Kapasi

Back to top Go down