Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Contraception Quiz

4 posters

Go down

Contraception Quiz Empty Contraception Quiz

Post by indophile Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:44 pm

1. Who invented the male prophylactic (aka condom), and when?

2. Who invented the IUD, and when?

3. What is the expansion of the acronym IUD, and also IED?

4. What is the world’s second oldest profession?

5. What methods of contraception were practiced before the advent of contraceptives?

indophile

Back to top Go down

Contraception Quiz Empty Re: Contraception Quiz

Post by Obnoxious Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:54 pm

indophile wrote:1. Who invented the male prophylactic (aka condom), and when?

Prostitution? Oldest begging perhaps.

5. What methods of contraception were practiced before the advent of contraceptives?

Rhythm method?

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:00 pm

SS:

#4 is incorrect.

#5 is partially correct (the question is in plural, so there ought to be at least one more).

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:13 pm

indophile wrote:SS:

#4 is incorrect.

Midwife or a obstetrician?

#5 is partially correct (the question is in plural, so there ought to be at least one more).

Body temperature?

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:24 pm

Silk Smitha wrote:

#4 is incorrect.

Body temperature?

In the old days they didn't have thermometers handy. So they used something else. Also, my understanding (what do I know!) is that body temp is used more for conception than for contraception.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:37 pm

1.Who invented the male prophylactic (aka condom), and when?

*Don't know if you are referring to a specific kind- latex, polyurethane etc, and I don't have a specific answer.In general, male condoms (barriers) have been around at least for at least 300-400 years, of course it was not commercially made until the mid to late 1800s?

There are many kinds..think the earliest commercial ones were made in the early 1900s. They have evolved now too...from the well known Dalkon, Copper Ts and others.

*IUD is Intrauterine Device. Don't know IED (in this context).

*Oh...It's of course..Motherhood (and the famous funny Mom- Erma Bombeck wrote a book about it:) Actually it's like many professions combined into one..from nanny to cook to teacher to doctor to coach to financier (nowadays!) and a lot more:)

How much time do we have? I've heard..some funny, some strange, some simply bizarre ways- people used to try to prevent pregnancies!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:52 pm

Maria S wrote: 1.Who invented the male prophylactic (aka condom), and when?

*Don't know if you are referring to a specific kind- latex, polyurethane etc, and I don't have a specific answer.In general, male condoms (barriers) have been around at least for at least 300-400 years, of course it was not commercially made until the mid to late 1800s? ------ I was thinking of just the rubber one

There are many kinds..think the earliest commercial ones were made in the early 1900s. They have evolved now too...from the well known Dalkon, Copper Ts and others. ------ early 1900s is correct. Exact year is needed for full credit (clue: IUD for women was invented the same year that rubber condom for men was invented). Things happen in mysterious ways!

*IUD is Intrauterine Device. Don't know IED (in this context). ----- Any context is okay for IED.

*Oh...It's of course..Motherhood (and the famous funny Mom- Erma Bombeck wrote a book about it:) Actually it's like many professions combined into one..from nanny to cook to teacher to doctor to coach to financier (nowadays!) and a lot more:)
----- Yes, I was looking for this answer. Of course, there are many many professions that qualify for that designation. Only "the oldest" tag is taken.

How much time do we have? I've heard..some funny, some strange, some simply bizarre ways- people used to try to prevent pregnancies! ------ Take all the time you need.Smile

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:19 pm

indophile wrote:
Silk Smitha wrote:

#4 is incorrect.

Body temperature?

In the old days they didn't have thermometers handy. So they used something else. Also, my understanding (what do I know!) is that body temp is used more for conception than for contraception.

Pulling out is another thing I can think of.

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:22 pm

indophile wrote:
Maria S wrote: How much time do we have? I've heard..some funny, some strange, some simply bizarre ways- people used to try to prevent pregnancies! ------ Take all the time you need.Smile

Very Happy

*Don't know the exact answer to rubber condom question.

*IED- Improvised Explosive Device..know this because of the War in Iraq.

*I will..take my time and post, when there are opportunities to elaborate more..when I am in the mood to tell some funny stories!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:11 am

All arguable answers:Smile

indophile wrote:1. Who invented the male prophylactic (aka condom), and when? ------------ Goodyear Tire Company founder, also named Goodyear, in 1920. I don't believe a stell-belted version is out yet.

2. Who invented the IUD, and when? ------ A German guy named Grafenberg, also in 1920.

3. What is the expansion of the acronym IUD, and also IED? ----- Inter-Uterine-Device (IUD) & Improvised Explosive Device (IED).

4. What is the world’s second oldest profession? ---- There are many contenders out there, certainly motherhood is one of them.

------ absence, rythm method, mind control, etc.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:20 am

indophile wrote:5. What methods of contraception were practiced before the advent of contraceptives? ------ absence, rythm method, mind control, etc.
coitus interruptus

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:53 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
indophile wrote:5. What methods of contraception were practiced before the advent of contraceptives? ------ absence, rythm method, mind control, etc.
coitus interruptus

Someone already said it --- "pulling out ...."

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:57 am

that someone has little experience. but i *do*. that's why i was able to use the scientific word for it. thanks for appreciating my effort...NOT. *some people*

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:10 am

5. marrying an ugly, female canine; growing breasts (if one were a male.)

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:13 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:that someone has little experience. but i *do*. that's why i was able to use the scientific word for it. thanks for appreciating my effort...NOT. *some people*

hahaha, one of my friends' wife had her tubes tied, she still makes him do *that*.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:27 am

ROFL. my wife and i tried all the natural methods listed above. they worked. i was against invasive methods and pills and also against methods applicable to me (but i tried growing breasts; didn't work for she loved them: the pervert). we did not have a problem. then the morning-after pill came into the market and that was a godsend! i think that pill is a godsend for women -- married or not. we must have had to use it only a couple of times.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down