Tamil Nadu vs Karnataka Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tamil Nadu vs Karnataka

+4
indophile
Nila
Hellsangel
Merlot Daruwala
8 posters

Go down

Tamil Nadu vs Karnataka Empty Tamil Nadu vs Karnataka

Post by Guest Fri May 27, 2011 12:46 pm

can someone tell me whether the dosa originated in Tamil Nadu or in Karnataka?

Back to top Go down

Tamil Nadu vs Karnataka Empty Re: Tamil Nadu vs Karnataka

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri May 27, 2011 12:55 pm

I can. But I hope you realize that your quintessential Iyer delicacy won't appreciate your spirit of inquiry wandering into these very sensitive areas. You should stick to the safer Akbar / Jahangir / Rousseau territory.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri May 27, 2011 1:19 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:I can. But I hope you realize that your quintessential Iyer delicacy won't appreciate your spirit of inquiry wandering into these very sensitive areas. You should stick to the safer Akbar / Jahangir / Rousseau territory.
Tut tut tut! You shouldn't hurt his feelings.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Fri May 27, 2011 1:24 pm

I vote Karnataka....

Simple logic:

Step 1: Go to Saravanabhavan, Chennai and have a masala dosa.
Step 2: Go to MTR, Bengaluru and have a masala dosa.
Step 3: Decide for yourself!
Step 4: Write down the answer.
Step 5: Check your answer. (Follow step 6 and step 7)
Step 6: If you have written "MTR" then you are right.
step 7: If your answer is not "MTR"...repeat step 1 to step 6 till you get it right!

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 27, 2011 1:37 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:I can. But I hope you realize that your quintessential Iyer delicacy won't appreciate your spirit of inquiry wandering into these very sensitive areas. You should stick to the safer Akbar / Jahangir / Rousseau territory.

ok. now tell me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 27, 2011 1:38 pm

Sasthi wrote:I vote Karnataka....

Simple logic:

Step 1: Go to Saravanabhavan, Chennai and have a masala dosa.
Step 2: Go to MTR, Bengaluru and have a masala dosa.
Step 3: Decide for yourself!
Step 4: Write down the answer.
Step 5: Check your answer. (Follow step 6 and step 7)
Step 6: If you have written "MTR" then you are right.
step 7: If your answer is not "MTR"...repeat step 1 to step 6 till you get it right!

MTR?!!! Pfftt.....dosa connoisseurs in Bangalore know it's Vidyarthi Bhavan first,
Vidyarthi Bhavan second...

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri May 27, 2011 2:10 pm

Do they still have that filling delicacy called "set dosa" in Mysore? It's 4 to 6 melt-in-your mouth dosas with a big blob of butter on top and 4 or 5 condiments on the side.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sat May 28, 2011 7:13 am

Rashmun wrote:can someone tell me whether the dosa originated in Tamil Nadu or in Karnataka?

As long as this delicacy travels through my tastebuds and mirthfully ends up in my tummy, I don't care where it originated. That place where Nephew took me on Margosa Street/4th Cross churns out some of the very best.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 28, 2011 7:59 am

goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:can someone tell me whether the dosa originated in Tamil Nadu or in Karnataka?

As long as this delicacy travels through my tastebuds and mirthfully ends up in my tummy, I don't care where it originated. That place where Nephew took me on Margosa Street/4th Cross churns out some of the very best.

Agree! Are you referring to Janatha Hotel in Malleswaram 8th cross, off Sampige Rd (they must've made it a one-way) through Margosa Rd now...

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Sat May 28, 2011 8:37 am

goodcitizn wrote:

veena's on margosa and and I think 12th or 13th cross. I dont think they have dosas. a hole in the wall place famous for idlis and coconut chutney. idlis are very soft and the chutney is the best i have tasted.
after some shopping on 8th cross one evening, I had a craving for kesaribath. they had run out of that so I reluctantly decided to have kharabath - reluctantly because I am not a big fan of upma in any form. but gimme veena's kharabath anyday.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sat May 28, 2011 11:35 am

Richard Hed wrote:Agree! Are you referring to Janatha Hotel in Malleswaram 8th cross, off Sampige Rd (they must've made it a one-way) through Margosa Rd now...

GC Unkil is referring to Central Tiffin Room on 7th cross Margosa Rd. I'd rank their benne masale as the #1 masala dosa in the world. Janata is a close second.

I've heard much of Vidyarthi Bhavan but have eaten only once a long time back and was not impressed. Will give it a second shot next time I'm in B'lore.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sat May 28, 2011 11:46 am

indophile wrote:

Do they still have that filling delicacy called "set dosa" in Mysore? It's 4 to 6 melt-in-your mouth dosas with a big blob of butter on top and 4 or 5 condiments on the side.

Very much so. And I used to miss it much in the US - and then I discovered the crumpet (which I'd read about in Wodehousian literature but had never actually seen until then). Quite similar to the set dosa IMO. After that discovery, I've had many a Sunday morning set-dosa breakfast, consisting of a stack of soft, spongy crumpets with coconut chutney, washed down with kaapi.
Tamil Nadu vs Karnataka Crumpet
Tamil Nadu vs Karnataka Set_dosai_sagu
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sat May 28, 2011 11:54 am

.|Sublime|. wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

veena's on margosa and and I think 12th or 13th cross. I dont think they have dosas. a hole in the wall place famous for idlis and coconut chutney. idlis are very soft and the chutney is the best i have tasted.
after some shopping on 8th cross one evening, I had a craving for kesaribath. they had run out of that so I reluctantly decided to have kharabath - reluctantly because I am not a big fan of upma in any form. but gimme veena's kharabath anyday.

I've had friends rave about this place but I'm not convinced sufficiently to give it a try. C'mon, an idli can only be that much soft and fluffy. I very much doubt if anyone can do anything more with the idli without meddling with the basic form. After an evening of shopping on 8th cross, I certainly would not make the effort to walk up all the way to Veena stores. Any of the *.darshinis turn out perfectly light and fluffy idlis - there's one on 9th cross margosa rd itself.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Sat May 28, 2011 12:17 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
I've had friends rave about this place but I'm not convinced sufficiently to give it a try. C'mon, an idli can only be that much soft and fluffy. I very much doubt if anyone can do anything more with the idli without meddling with the basic form. After an evening of shopping on 8th cross, I certainly would not make the effort to walk up all the way to Veena stores. Any of the *.darshinis turn out perfectly light and fluffy idlis - there's one on 9th cross margosa rd itself.

there is definitely something about the way they do it. these idlis with chutney go down well at 8 am in the morn.
imo, tamil nadu and karnataka hole in the wall places turn out better idlis than restaurants in kerala and andhra.

when adigas opened in malleswaram, people were raving about it. it was good for a few months and now the quality is just so so.
it wasnt any extra effort since it was on the way back for me.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Sat May 28, 2011 2:59 pm

TN dosas over Karnataka, any day of the week.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 28, 2011 4:35 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Richard Hed wrote:Agree! Are you referring to Janatha Hotel in Malleswaram 8th cross, off Sampige Rd (they must've made it a one-way) through Margosa Rd now...

GC Unkil is referring to Central Tiffin Room on 7th cross Margosa Rd. I'd rank their benne masale as the #1 masala dosa in the world. Janata is a close second.

I've heard much of Vidyarthi Bhavan but have eaten only once a long time back and was not impressed. Will give it a second shot next time I'm in B'lore.

Yes, you're right - my bad...the 4th cross threw me off and I realized it away from my desk; I've had great dosas at CTR on my way back from the shopping for puja items at the Malleswaram market...

Veena stores never made dosas and their idli/vada, kharabath is good but, if you haven't - do try the same at Brahmin's Coffee bar in Shankarapuram near Uma theatre. The best in my opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Mon May 30, 2011 1:36 am

.|Sublime|. wrote:
after some shopping on 8th cross one evening, I had a craving for kesaribath.

is this sweet rice that looks yellow/bronze in color? used to be my favourite growing up - come to think of it, all sweets were - but now i don't eat it at all.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon May 30, 2011 2:54 am

Kesaribath using rice is made only in homes. The commercial version is almost always a dripping-in-oil orange / yellow sheera.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down