What's in the nomenclature as "Hindu"? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's in the nomenclature as "Hindu"?

Go down

What's in the nomenclature as "Hindu"? Empty What's in the nomenclature as "Hindu"?

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:06 pm

Hindu, as a word (हिन्दु or हिंदु ), did not originate from the river or ocean word Sindhu (सिंधु  or सिन्धु ), due to mispronunciation etc. of Sindhu by outsiders.

The meaning and origin of the word Hindu (हिन्दु , हिंदु ), according to Sanskrit (etymologically, h+indu, i.e. indu with the prefix h:  ह+इन्दु ), is someone using and propitiated by Indu (इन्दु : Vedic libation including Soma).

The name Hindu, implying in Sanskrit as the user / partaker of Vedic libation, has been there for a long time, including at the time of invasion of the north-west of the Subcontinent by Alexander the Great and his Greek speaking army more than 2300 years ago (327 BC - 325 BC).

The name Indus for a river in the north-west of the Subcontinent arose when the Greeks (Alexander the Great and his soldiers) called the north-western river 'hindos potamos' (meaning 'Hindu river' in Greek), pronouncing it as 'Indos potamos' (with 'h' letter / sound in the beginning of a Greek word / name, preceding the vowel 'i', or 'e' sometimes, kept silent / omitted in conversations during the time of Alexander the Great).

Moreover, the Greeks called the Subcontinent as 'Hinde' (meaning land of Hindus), pronouncing it as 'Inde' (with 'h' silent in front of vowel 'i').

The European / English name Indus (Indos) for the river in the north-west of the Subcontinent and the European / English name India (or Inde) for the Subcontinent had their origin from Hindu (inhabitants of the Subcontinent) more than 2300 years ago.

by:
Dr. Subhash C. Sharma
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down