Andhra Pradesh: 'Hindi played a key role in the freedom struggle' - Page 8 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andhra Pradesh: 'Hindi played a key role in the freedom struggle'

+10
Kayalvizhi
b_A
confuzzled dude
Propagandhi711
FluteHolder
MaxEntropy_Man
goodcitizn
Idéfix
Hellsangel
Vakavaka Pakapaka
14 posters

Page 8 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Andhra Pradesh: 'Hindi played a key role in the freedom struggle' - Page 8 Empty Re: Andhra Pradesh: 'Hindi played a key role in the freedom struggle'

Post by Idéfix Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:38 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

illiteracy is a problem and having a link language is a separate topic. The brilliant tamilian P.Chidambaram recognizes this which is why he has promoted hindi in the past.

ultimately it all boils down to economic resources. we cannot afford luxuries like hindi education.

Many tamil students (and parents) in TN disagree with you. I have given links to several articles to this effect.

tamil students and parents are choosing of their own accord to learn hindi. we however do not have the luxury of spending taxpayer money on government subsidized teaching of hindi when UP has such a terrible literacy rate and TN a not so great literacy rate. if you put the choice to illiterate UPites that the choice is between spending to make them literate and spending to teach already literate tamilians hindi, they'd tell you clearly what they want. rashmun, why do you want to deprive the teeming illiterate masses in your state a chance for a better life? very cruel.

this is a good point that deserves to be thought through. i need to reflect on this a bit.
Please feel free to set aside sufficient time to reflect on this. After all, this is not the first time Max (or someone else) has said this to you. Come late, but come healthy, as they say in Hindi.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Andhra Pradesh: 'Hindi played a key role in the freedom struggle' - Page 8 Empty Re: Andhra Pradesh: 'Hindi played a key role in the freedom struggle'

Post by Idéfix Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:40 pm

Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:Rashmun does not care about the illiterate people in his own state. He prefers that they remain illiterate, even as government funds are wasted and stolen when they are sent to the DBHPS! Those monies could be used to make some Hindians literate instead.

your hatred for north indians shines through in this post.
I want taxpayer money to be spent on making those Hindi-speaking Indians (aka Hindians) literate. You don't; you want that money to be spent on pracharing Hindi in southern India. Let anyone who cares to read decide who hates those illiterate Hindians.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:41 pm

Rashmun wrote:GC you may laugh as much as you want but actually the laugh is on you because tamil students are telling anti-hindi fanatics to get out of their way since they wish to learn Hindi. Time to open your eyes.

You can cast me as anti-Hindi but that is not the case. I simply don't buy into your thesis on Dachini as a southern language. SHOW ME PROOF THAT ETYMOLOGICALLY DACHNI OR A VARIANT OF HINDI HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE CLASSICAL LANGUAGES --TAMIL, KANNADA AND TELUGU, BESIDES MALAYALAM AS THESE LANGUAGES DATE FAR BACK IN TIME.

If there is a real poll in Tamil Nadu as to the percentage of students who could read and write Hindi, you would be surprised to see how small a number it is when compared to English (which by the way is all the linkage one needs to get by). And I don't think that prachar sabha-sponsored testimonials and carefully chosen comments from select students and hindi teachers would be sufficient sampling to pontificate on the population/dispora.

Lastly, I vehemently oppose the imposition of one language over others in a democracy because of my staunch belief in the freedom of speech and expression. Forget Hindi for a second. Let us say that the government wanted to impose Tamil over all non Tamil-speaking areas, I'd be against it just as much. I am not anti-Hindi. I am anti-imposition.

[Furthermore, I believe that you have an obligation to respond to Max on the very question as to why you care more about the literacy of Hindi in the south indians than in UP, Haryana and other states. Shouldn't the Prachar Sabha be more concerned about the lack of Hindi literacy in Hindi-speaking areas before worrying about the non Hindi-speaking areas?]

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:41 pm

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:Rashmun does not care about the illiterate people in his own state. He prefers that they remain illiterate, even as government funds are wasted and stolen when they are sent to the DBHPS! Those monies could be used to make some Hindians literate instead.

your hatred for north indians shines through in this post.
I want taxpayer money to be spent on making those Hindi-speaking Indians (aka Hindians) literate. You don't; you want that money to be spent on pracharing Hindi in southern India. Let anyone who cares to read decide who hates those illiterate Hindians.

nobody uses the word Hindians except for kayal vizhi, thanjai nalankilli, and you. there is no such word as Hindian.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:47 pm

Rashmun wrote:

nobody uses the word Hindians except for kayal vizhi, thanjai nalankilli, and you. there is no such word as Hindian.

i don't think so. marathi speakers are marathis or maharastrians, telugu speakers are telugus, tamil speakers are tamilians. hindi speakers are hindians. just because it is a relatively new term doesn't invalidate it.

further, hindi speakers have been carrying the enormous burden of calling themselves indians. it's time telugus, tamilians, and malayalis shared a bit of that burden.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:50 pm

Rashmun wrote:there is no such word as Hindian.
You are wrong.

See meaning 3 here: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Hindian

Rashmun wrote:nobody uses the word Hindians except for kayal vizhi, thanjai nalankilli, and you.
You are wrong. Max and others have used the term as well to refer to people whose primary language is Hindi. You participated in a discussion on the term where you failed to offer up another easy alternative for native Hindi speakers that precisely conveys the same meaning as Hindian.

Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:51 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:GC you may laugh as much as you want but actually the laugh is on you because tamil students are telling anti-hindi fanatics to get out of their way since they wish to learn Hindi. Time to open your eyes.

You can cast me as anti-Hindi but that is not the case. I simply don't buy into your thesis on Dachini as a southern language. SHOW ME PROOF THAT ETYMOLOGICALLY DACHNI OR A VARIANT OF HINDI HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE CLASSICAL LANGUAGES --TAMIL, KANNADA AND TELUGU, BESIDES MALAYALAM AS THESE LANGUAGES DATE FAR BACK IN TIME.

If there is a real poll in Tamil Nadu as to the percentage of students who could read and write Hindi, you would be surprised to see how small a number it is when compared to English (which by the way is all the linkage one needs to get by). And I don't think that prachar sabha-sponsored testimonials and carefully chosen comments from select students and hindi teachers would be sufficient sampling to pontificate on the population/dispora.

Lastly, I vehemently oppose the imposition of one language over others in a democracy because of my staunch belief in the freedom of speech and expression. Forget Hindi for a second. Let us say that the government wanted to impose Tamil over all non Tamil-speaking areas, I'd be against it just as much. I am not anti-Hindi. I am anti-imposition.

[Furthermore, I believe that you have an obligation to respond to Max on the very question as to why you care more about the literacy of Hindi in the south indians than in UP, Haryana and other states. Shouldn't the Prachar Sabha be more concerned about the lack of Hindi literacy in Hindi-speaking areas before worrying about the non Hindi-speaking areas?]

due to historical reasons, the majority of people of India speak a variant of Hindi. this fact needs to be taken into account when doing hindi bashing. If tamil would have been spoken by a majority of people of India i would have been the first to promote it. I will respond to Max's question in detail after some further reflection. For now i will point out that DHPS was founded by Mahatma Gandhi; it is now a part of Indian tradition. Further, since state govt. schools in TN are even today not offering Hindi as an optional subject, and since all students cannot get into CBSE or Arya samaj type schools, the DHPS is fulfilling the aspirations of the people of TN who wish to learn hindi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:55 pm

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:there is no such word as Hindian.
You are wrong.

See meaning 3 here: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Hindian

Rashmun wrote:nobody uses the word Hindians except for kayal vizhi, thanjai nalankilli, and you.
You are wrong. Max and others have used the term as well to refer to people whose primary language is Hindi. You participated in a discussion on the term where you failed to offer up another easy alternative for native Hindi speakers that precisely conveys the same meaning as Hindian.

Max has stopped using the word after i asked him to. Nobody else on this forum other than Kayal Vizhi has used the word. Thanjai Nalankilli would be proud of you.

Although the word Gulti definitely exists, there is no such word as Hindian. An intelligent person will realize that wikipedia type sites can contain useful information but they can also contain nonsense. You seem to lack the sifting mechanism needed when analyzing these issues.

Last edited by Rashmun on Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:57 pm

Assignment of the day: Define Hindia for urbandictionary.com

Last edited by Hellsangel on Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:57 pm

Hellsangel wrote:In the time Rashman took to look up and post articles on this now 7-page thread, he could have finished at least one module of a European language on Rosetta stone.

Hilarious! lol!

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:57 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Assignment of the day: Define Hindia for urbandictionary.com

slave, you back again?

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:58 pm

Rashmun wrote:it is now a part of Indian tradition.
As is caste discrimination, communal violence, caste-based reservations, and cliquishness. Those are just the parts of our tradition that begin with the letter c. Tradition is not a valid argument for the rightness or usefulness of anything.

Rashmun wrote:Further, since state govt. schools in TN are even today not offering Hindi as an optional subject
State government schools in Uttar Pradesh are failing to offer a basic education in Hindi to more than a quarter of the population.

Rashmun wrote: DHPS is fulfilling the aspirations of the people of TN who wish to learn hindi.
DBHPS is filling the pockets of crooks. There are multiple CBI investigations going on regarding irregularities there and links with anti-social elements. And DBHPS is teaching atrocious English (aka Hinglish) to people.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:59 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:In the time Rashman took to look up and post articles on this now 7-page thread, he could have finished at least one module of a European language on Rosetta stone.

Hilarious! lol!

lol! at you finding that funny.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:03 pm

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:it is now a part of Indian tradition.
As is caste discrimination, communal violence, caste-based reservations, and cliquishness. Those are just the parts of our tradition that begin with the letter c. Tradition is not a valid argument for the rightness or usefulness of anything.

Rashmun wrote:Further, since state govt. schools in TN are even today not offering Hindi as an optional subject
State government schools in Uttar Pradesh are failing to offer a basic education in Hindi to more than a quarter of the population.

Rashmun wrote: DHPS is fulfilling the aspirations of the people of TN who wish to learn hindi.
DBHPS is filling the pockets of crooks. There are multiple CBI investigations going on regarding irregularities there and links with anti-social elements. And DBHPS is teaching atrocious English (aka Hinglish) to people.

not everything about indian tradition needs to be rejected. for instance, sanskrit poetry need not be rejected. The reason why illiteracy rate in UP is not satisfactory is because of complex reasons. Your simple minded analysis (betraying your naive mindset) will not do. DBHPS has made mistakes and some of its members might be scoundrels but there is no organization in India which is perfectly clean. I do not believe there are any allegations against Justice Malimath, President of DBHPS.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:06 pm

It is time for freedom struggle against corruption: Malimath

DHARWAD: The chairman of Karnataka Law Commission and former chief justice of high court Justice V S Malimath on Sunday said that time had come for people to launch agitations to free the country from corrupt politicians and bureaucrats.

Speaking at the inauguration of the silver jubilee celebration of Hurkadli Ajja Shikshana Samiti's K S Jigalur Arts and Sheshagiri College of Commerce for Women here on Saturday he said that the three pillars of democracy - legislature, executive and judiciary- had lost the faith of the citizens of the country with allegations of large scale corruption haunting them.

"The elected representatives are busy making a fortune for themselves as early as possible. They go to any extent to achieve their objective. As a result the administration and development activities have taken a beating. It is time the citizens launch a second freedom struggle to free the country from these elements and assure a bright future for younger generation," said the former CJ.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-02-13/hubli/31054513_1_freedom-struggle-silver-jubilee-celebration-corruption

-----
DBHPS is lucky it has Justice Malimath as its president.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:09 pm

Rashmun wrote:not everything about indian tradition needs to be rejected. for instance, sanskrit poetry need not be rejected.
Yet another illustration of your ongoing challenges with logic. I didn't say everything about Indian tradition needs to be rejected. I said "it is part of Indian tradition" is not a good argument for the usefulness or rightness of anything.

Rashmun wrote:The reason why illiteracy rate in UP is not satisfactory is because of complex reasons.
You are welcome to offer your complex analysis, and focus your attention on solving a complex problem. Instead of wasting your time on a simpler problem that the market is perfectly capable of taking care of! I will be waiting for your analysis of the illiteracy problem in your state and how it can be remedied. I look forward to reading your nuanced, carefully thought out proposals for solving that problem. I am glad those illiterate Hindians have finally gotten your attention!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:10 pm

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:not everything about indian tradition needs to be rejected. for instance, sanskrit poetry need not be rejected.
Yet another illustration of your ongoing challenges with logic. I didn't say everything about Indian tradition needs to be rejected. I said "it is part of Indian tradition" is not a good argument for the usefulness or rightness of anything.

Rashmun wrote:The reason why illiteracy rate in UP is not satisfactory is because of complex reasons.
You are welcome to offer your complex analysis, and focus your attention on solving a complex problem. Instead of wasting your time on a simpler problem that the market is perfectly capable of taking care of! I will be waiting for your analysis of the illiteracy problem in your state and how it can be remedied. I look forward to reading your nuanced, carefully thought out proposals for solving that problem. I am glad those illiterate Hindians have finally gotten your attention!

Gulti does Ulti.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:11 pm

Rashmun wrote:It is time for freedom struggle against corruption: Malimath

DHARWAD: The chairman of Karnataka Law Commission and former chief justice of high court Justice V S Malimath on Sunday said that time had come for people to launch agitations to free the country from corrupt politicians and bureaucrats.

Speaking at the inauguration of the silver jubilee celebration of Hurkadli Ajja Shikshana Samiti's K S Jigalur Arts and Sheshagiri College of Commerce for Women here on Saturday he said that the three pillars of democracy - legislature, executive and judiciary- had lost the faith of the citizens of the country with allegations of large scale corruption haunting them.

"The elected representatives are busy making a fortune for themselves as early as possible. They go to any extent to achieve their objective. As a result the administration and development activities have taken a beating. It is time the citizens launch a second freedom struggle to free the country from these elements and assure a bright future for younger generation," said the former CJ.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-02-13/hubli/31054513_1_freedom-struggle-silver-jubilee-celebration-corruption

-----
DBHPS is lucky it has Justice Malimath as its president.
Justice Malimath sounds like he is encouraging Anna Hazare style anti-corruption campaigns. Are you sure you like him?

For anti-corruption campaigners who attract popular support, your modus operandi is to highlight their own questionable dealings. With this justice, one can easily highlight the CBI investigations at the Sabha he leads!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:13 pm

Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

Gulti does Ulti.
I take it that you have nothing substantive to say about the complex reasons for illiteracy in UP. It's OK, I can wait.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:15 pm

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

Gulti does Ulti.
I take it that you have nothing substantive to say about the complex reasons for illiteracy in UP. It's OK, I can wait.

I just thought i would let you know that so long as you continue to use the word 'Hindian' i shall use the words 'Telangan' and 'Gulti'.
As in, Gulti does Ulti.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:16 pm

Rashmun wrote:

I just thought i would let you know that so long as you continue to use the word 'Hindian' i shall use the words 'Telangan' and 'Gulti'.
As in, Gulti does Ulti.

What an effective strategy, considering that he doesn't care one way or another!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:17 pm

Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

Gulti does Ulti.

As in, Gulti does Ulti.
As if that's going to affect my behavior! You were using 'Telangan', 'Gulti', 'Gulti does ulti', etc. months ago. That didn't stop me at all. Good luck trying to stop me now with threats.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:17 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

As in, Gulti does Ulti.

What an effective strategy, considering that he doesn't care one way or another!

Oh but he does.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:20 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

As in, Gulti does Ulti.

If at first you don't succeed, try the same tactic again. And again, and again, and again. BTW, that's what leads to the dottiness as well.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:21 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

As in, Gulti does Ulti.

Oh but he does.
I care about the plight of the illiterate Hindians of UP. What are the complex reasons for illiteracy in UP? What are you going to do about it?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:21 pm

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:Yet another illustration of your ongoing challenges with logic. I didn't say everything about Indian tradition needs to be rejected. I said "it is part of Indian tradition" is not a good argument for the usefulness or rightness of anything.

Gulti does Ulti.

As in, Gulti does Ulti.
As if that's going to affect my behavior! You were using 'Telangan', 'Gulti', 'Gulti does ulti', etc. months ago. That didn't stop me at all. Good luck trying to stop me now with threats.

I used the words Telangan and Gulti because you were using words like 'Hindian' which are used only by Kayal Vizhi and Thanjai Nalankilli. If you continue to use the word 'Hindian' i will also continue to use the words 'Gulti' and 'Telangan'.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:21 pm

panini press wrote:If at first you don't succeed, try the same tactic again. And again, and again, and again. BTW, that's what leads to the dottiness as well.

Einstein had a name for it.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:22 pm

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

As in, Gulti does Ulti.

Oh but he does.
I care about the plight of the illiterate Hindians of UP. What are the complex reasons for illiteracy in UP? What are you going to do about it?

Hello Gulti.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:24 pm

Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Gulti does Ulti.

As in, Gulti does Ulti.

I used the words Telangan and Gulti because you were using words like 'Hindian' which are used only by Kayal Vizhi and Thanjai Nalankilli. If you continue to use the word 'Hindian' i will also continue to use the words 'Gulti' and 'Telangan'.
I don't think I used the word Hindian when your mental illness took a turn for the worse some time last year, when you posted what multiple non-Telugus considered hate speech about Telugus.

I know you revel in personal argumentation, we are both comfortably off, educated, and have decent lives. Let's focus instead on the horrible plight of the millions of illiterate Hindians of UP. What are the complex reasons for their illiteracy? What are you going to do about it?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:30 pm

gulti definition ctd 2 wrote: TGB, or "typical gulti behavior", is usually associated with frauds in
the US - from anything like taxes and fake resumes to employment visas
and green cards. Gultis are considered largely responsible for
bringing down the employment based immigration system in the US. They
are usually found working in IT bodyshops in NJ on a job that is
acquired through all unethical means possible, including fake resumes
and fake experience.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:31 pm

gulti definition ctd 3 wrote:A common practice in the gulti community is to mate with first cousins
and other close relatives (quite often, potential mates could be
uncles and neices), as a result of which, certain genetic disorders
that are rare otherwise, are quite common amongst gultis. It is
believed by many leading geneticists that the remarkably higher
tendency of gultis to lie, cheat, and fake does indeed have a strong
genetic link which is perpetuated by the remarkably higher tendency of
incestuous relationships.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:32 pm

Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

due to historical reasons, the majority of people of India speak a variant of Hindi. this fact needs to be taken into account when doing hindi bashing. If tamil would have been spoken by a majority of people of India i would have been the first to promote it. I will respond to Max's question in detail after some further reflection. For now i will point out that DHPS was founded by Mahatma Gandhi; it is now a part of Indian tradition. Further, since state govt. schools in TN are even today not offering Hindi as an optional subject, and since all students cannot get into CBSE or Arya samaj type schools, the DHPS is fulfilling the aspirations of the people of TN who wish to learn hindi.

1. I wasn't bashing Hindi. I was just bashing your premise that dachini is a southern language.

2. If your intention is to homogenize India under the umbrella of Hindi, you are a Hindi fanatic. You have no clue as to what freedom of speech represents, let alone democracy. I'd prefer to think of you as dotty than fanatic since you bring such humor to this board.

3. If Tamilians want to learn Hindi, they'll learn even in the absence of Dakshin Prachar Sabhas, just like they are learning English. DHPS needs to get its house cleaned up and move its headquarters to Lucknow pronto.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:35 pm

Dotty again!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:35 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

1. I wasn't bashing Hindi. I was just bashing your premise that dachini is a southern language.

2. If your intention is to homogenize India under the umbrella of Hindi, you are a Hindi fanatic. You have no clue as to what freedom of speech represents, let alone democracy. I'd prefer to think of you as dotty than fanatic since you bring such humor to this board.

3. If Tamilians want to learn Hindi, they'll learn even in the absence of Dakshin Prachar Sabhas, just like they are learning English. DHPS needs to get its house cleaned up and move its headquarters to Lucknow pronto.

Dakhini is very much a south indian language and your refusal to recognize and acknowledge this makes you a fanatic.
I want a link language for India. At some point of time i foresee english being the link language of India but it cannot serve that purpose now since only 5% of Indians know english.
DBHPS balances out the antics of tamil politicians who have seen to it that hindi is not offered in state govt schools, not even as an optional subject.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:57 pm

Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

Dakhini is very much a south indian language and your refusal to recognize and acknowledge this makes you a fanatic.
I want a link language for India. At some point of time i foresee english being the link language of India but it cannot serve that purpose now since only 5% of Indians know english.
DBHPS balances out the antics of tamil politicians who have seen to it that hindi is not offered in state govt schools, not even as an optional subject.

I must be missing some proof that clearly shows dachini as a south indian language. Is it available in book form so I can order it from amazon? Is there perhaps a dachini movie that I can watch? Your job is to de-fanaticize me if this matter suddenly makes me a fanatic.

In addition to the central government funded hindi prachar program, do you also want the state government to spend money to sponsor Hindi? Skip the politicians, let DBHPS go after govt school students to teach them Hindi if they want to with the proviso that it will not attempt to teach them English.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:17 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

I must be missing some proof that clearly shows dachini as a south indian language. Is it available in book form so I can order it from amazon? Is there perhaps a dachini movie that I can watch? Your job is to de-fanaticize me if this matter suddenly makes me a fanatic.

In addition to the central government funded hindi prachar program, do you also want the state government to spend money to sponsor Hindi? Skip the politicians, let DBHPS go after govt school students to teach them Hindi if they want to with the proviso that it will not attempt to teach them English.

A twentieth-century Kerala Hindi scholar, Dr. Muhammad Kunj Mettar, established Dakhni as source for modern Hindi. Dr. Suniti Kumar Chattopadhyay also maintained that it was Deccan that established the use of Khari Boli replacing Braj in the North. In fact, even the name Hindi for the language originated in the South. A Tamilian, Kazi Mahamud Bahari in 17th century used the word Hindi for Dakhni in his Sufi poetry called Man Lagan....

Visitors from north India’s Hindi belt are often puzzled by the contradictory signals they get about Hindi in south India. On the one hand, they feel that every one understands them in the street--rikshawalas, shopkeepers, bus conductors and so on. Some of these visitors, like the Ugly American, patronizingly approve that the natives are speaking a tolerably understandable Hindi!

On the other hand, they find strong anti-Hindi feelings among the middle-class educated people. They conclude that actually Hindi is understood and ‘accepted’ by the common man in the south but it is being opposed by the ‘vested‘ interests who want to keep English alive for a better edge in the job market. So English, and for the leftists among them ‘imperialism’, is the enemy and they try the ‘Angrezi Hatao’ movement. Of course none of these ‘movements’ make a dent in the non-Hindi regions.

The problem with these people is that they think that Hindi is ‘their’ language, which is inherently so good that the rest of India has accepted it as the national language. They endlessly quote Rajgopalachari or Acharya Suniti Kumar Chattopadhyay for this purpose. In fact they are again puzzled that these stalwarts of Hindi later denounced Hindi chauvinism.

They fail to understand that the ‘Hindi’ that they hear in the South is actually Dakhni and that it has a much older literary history and in fact was the source of inspiration for modern Hindi to emerge as a literary language. The ‘lingua franca’ of India is not ‘their’ Hindi but the street Hindi that evolved from Dakhni and reached the Indian masses, through the Parsi theatre and the Bombay film industry. It is ‘their’ highly Sanskritized Hindi that is opposed all over the non-Hindi region. In fact, Acharya Suniti Kumar Chattopadhyay, in his article ‘Bharater Rashtra Bhasha Chalti Hindi’ even proposed Bombay Hindi as a national language whose ‘grammar can be written on a post card’!...

The standard understanding of the origin is as follows. Medieval Deccan, known as Al Hind in the Arab world, was extremely rich. It attracted adventurers, traders, scholars and saints from all over the world. Turks and later Mughals came from the north. But the sea route through Gujarat, Karnataka and Kerala was equally flourishing. Egyptians, Abyssinians and Arabs came through this route. Afsani Nikitin a Russian traveller, who spent several months in Bidar, thought that it was the capital of India!

Allauddin Khilji after conquering northern India moved to the Deccan to attack Devagiri on February 1295. He again attacked the city during 1306 and 1307. Malik Kafur carried the third attack to defeat the last of the Yadav kings of Deccan. Muhammad Tugluq transferred the capital from Delhi to Devagiri in 1326. In its wake thousands of families shifted from Delhi to the Deccan. Thus in the 14th century, soldiers and traders with their own dialects moved to the Deccan and settled among the Marathas, Kannadigas and Telugus. There were also many Hindus among them, such as Rajputs, Jats, Banias and Kayasthas. They brought dialects spoken in the Delhi region and these formed the basis of a literary speech, known as Dakhni.

http://www.bangalorenotes.com/dakhni.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:19 pm

“A Deccani, on being once asked whom he considered the greater personage, the Prophet Muhammad or the Saiyid, replied, with some surprise at the question, that although the Prophet was undoubtedly a great man, yet Saiyid Muhammad Gisu-daraz was a far superior order of being.” Muhammad Qasim Firishta (d. 1611)

In July 1321, about the time Ulugh Khan's army was sent to Warangal to recover the unpaid tribute owed by Pratapa Rudra, an infant son was born in Delhi to a distinguished family of Saiyids – that is, men who claimed descent from the Prophet. Although he lived most of his life in Delhi, Saiyid Muhammad Husaini Gisu Daraz would become known mainly for his work in the Deccan, where he died in 1422 at the ripe age of just over a hundred years.

As seen in the extract from Firishta's history quoted above, this figure occupies a very special place in Deccani popular religion: soon after his death his tomb-shrine in Gulbarga became the most important object of Muslim devotion in the Deccan. It remains so today. He also stands out in the Muslim mystical tradition, as he was the first Indian shaikh to put his thoughts directly to writing, as opposed to having disciples record his conversations. But most importantly, Gisu Daraz contributed to the stabilization and indigenization of Indo-Muslim society and polity in the Deccan, as earlier generations of Sufi shaikhs had already done in Tughluq north India. In the broader context of Indo-Muslim thought and practice, his career helped transform the Deccan from what had been an infidel land available for plunder by north Indian dynasts, to a legally inviolable abode of peace.

http://histories.cambridge.org/extract?id=chol9780521254847_CHOL9780521254847A004

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:26 pm

rashmun i'm curious -- why does the term hindian drive you batshit crazy?afterall tamilians don't mind being called tamilians, telugus telugus, and malayalam speakers malayalis. are you afraid that hindi-only speakers will lose their exclusive (in their minds only) status as the "quintessential" indians if hindians came to be a more widely accepted term?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:36 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:rashmun i'm curious -- why does the term hindian drive you batshit crazy?afterall tamilians don't mind being called tamilians, telugus telugus, and malayalam speakers malayalis. are you afraid that hindi-only speakers will lose their exclusive (in their minds only) status as the "quintessential" indians if hindians came to be a more widely accepted term?

i find it annoying because i have only seen the term so far in Tamil Tribune. Nowhere else. Never heard of it also. It is a completely artificial term unlike Gulti or Thambi which are at least used in ordinary conversation.
And since Tamil Tribune does a lot of NI bashing, while using this term, i dislike the term.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:34 pm

Rashmun wrote:

Visitors from north India’s Hindi belt are often puzzled by the contradictory signals they get about Hindi in south India. On the one hand, they feel that every one understands them in the street--rikshawalas, shopkeepers, bus conductors and so on. Some of these visitors, like the Ugly American, patronizingly approve that the natives are speaking a tolerably understandable Hindi!

this is not true in TN.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:52 pm

bw wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

this is not true in TN.

shhhh. you're disturbing an elaborate fantasy built on kandasamy the vellore waiter, madasamy the taxicab driver, and palanisamy the room boy at the vellore sheraton. all fluent speakers of hindi that they learned at their grandmother's knees. all specially selected by the mayor of vellore to obtain the correspondent's warm and glowing report on sulekha and SUCH.

even the local vividbharathi radio station blasts piya thooooo, ab tho ajaaaaa which the correspondent likes to listen to while eating his panneer masala dosA.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:57 pm

Rashmun wrote:Hyderabad : He goes through two Hindi newspapers every day and even has teachers to help him pick up the language. Now that N. Chandrababu Naidu is looking for a larger role in national politics, the former Andhra Pradesh chief minister is dead serious about learning Hindi.

Indian Politics: Andhra Pradesh's Chandrababu Naidu Learns Hindi!

http://www.tamiltribune.com/08/1002.html

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:04 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote: if you put the choice to illiterate UPites that the choice is between spending to make them literate and spending to teach already literate tamilians hindi, they'd tell you clearly what they want.

oney they spend to impose Hindi is not Hindian money but mostly non-Hindian money.

I have no problem if the Hindi states open Education Centres in TN.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:10 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:rashmun i'm curious -- why does the term hindian drive you batshit crazy?afterall tamilians don't mind being called tamilians, telugus telugus, and malayalam speakers malayalis. are you afraid that hindi-only speakers will lose their exclusive (in their minds only) status as the "quintessential" indians if hindians came to be a more widely accepted term?

i find it annoying because i have only seen the term so far in Tamil Tribune. Nowhere else. Never heard of it also. It is a completely artificial term unlike Gulti or Thambi which are at least used in ordinary conversation.
And since Tamil Tribune does a lot of NI bashing, while using this term, i dislike the term.
Now you have both heard and seen it in multiple other places besides Tamil Tribune, and by multiple people. I have used it in ordinary conversation, and the Indian people I was speaking to had no trouble at all understanding it. So I hope you find it less annoying going forward.

Now, what are the complex reasons behind the illiteracy of millions of UP Hindians? What are you going to do about it?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:32 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

this is not true in TN.

shhhh. you're disturbing an elaborate fantasy built on kandasamy the vellore waiter, madasamy the taxicab driver, and palanisamy the room boy at the vellore sheraton. all fluent speakers of hindi that they learned at their grandmother's knees. all specially selected by the mayor of vellore to obtain the correspondent's warm and glowing report on sulekha and SUCH.

even the local vividbharathi radio station blasts piya thooooo, ab tho ajaaaaa which the correspondent likes to listen to while eating his panneer masala dosA.

how come i never meet the kandas, madas and palanis? where are they all hiding?

rashmun, that report is full of falsities. there are people learning hindi willingly in TN for whatever reasons but the random guy on the street isn't fluent in hindi or dakhini. they can utter more words in english than in hindi.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:40 pm

Rashmun wrote:At some point of time i foresee english being the link language of India but it cannot serve that purpose now since only 5% of Indians know english.
If you repeat a lie a thousand times, you might think it becomes true. But that's not how the real world works. Per the 2001 census, over 12% of Indians speak English. The language numbers from the 2011 census are not out yet, but the number will be significantly higher now. Also, when questioned about the illiteracy of Hindians, you mentioned that the need for a link language is particularly for the middle class. Most of the English speakers in India are the middle class. If you say that 20% of Indians are in the middle class, it is clear from these numbers that a big majority of them speak English.

I know your preference is to come up with more hare-brained excuses to focus yourself on "Hindi in the south." While you neglect the plight of millions of illiterate Hindians in UP. But have a heart, and do something about your fellow Hindians.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2010-03-14/india/28117934_1_second-language-speakers-urdu
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:42 pm

bw wrote:how come i never meet the kandas, madas and palanis? where are they all hiding?
You don't meditate enough on the question of Hindi and southern India. So they don't reveal themselves to you in your dreams. If you want to see them, you need to really want to see them.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:06 am

panini press wrote:
bw wrote:how come i never meet the kandas, madas and palanis? where are they all hiding?
You don't meditate enough on the question of Hindi and southern India. So they don't reveal themselves to you in your dreams. If you want to see them, you need to really want to see them.

southern india?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:20 am

I don't like the terms North India and South India. I prefer northern India (or northinda depending on the context) and southern India.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:58 am

bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

this is not true in TN.

how come i never meet the kandas, madas and palanis? where are they all hiding?

rashmun, that report is full of falsities. there are people learning hindi willingly in TN for whatever reasons but the random guy on the street isn't fluent in hindi or dakhini. they can utter more words in english than in hindi.

The person who wrote that article is, i believe, a bangalorean. What he says definitely applies to Bangalore. With respect to Chennai the articles i have posted show that more and more people in Chennai are learning Hindi. For instance:

Chennai says it in Hindi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next