Asian-American underachievers Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Asian-American underachievers

+3
bw
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Rishi
7 posters

Go down

Asian-American underachievers Empty Asian-American underachievers

Post by Rishi Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:16 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaJ_chUbC3g

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Asian-American underachievers Empty Re: Asian-American underachievers

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:35 am

Rishi wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaJ_chUbC3g

Largely true. Parents are to be blamed for much of this. The Asian parents are from the 80s and 90s and they pass on the "strict culture" of obedience to the kids.

Of course, in US, they assume that dragging them to Piano, dance, SAT class, AP courses, music, debate, etc...etc..(in lieu of evening IIT tuition that they went in their times) and assume they are raising a wholesome kid. They forget that they are still exposing them only to "education" - albeit slightly wider spectrum. They dont get some time for themselves to waste on things that they like to do...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:54 am

i don't understand why they assume that all those who do well at the tests are just "test crammers". a person who has a thorough understanding of the topics covered will find these tests extremely easy. for a smart kid with well developed english language skills, SAT is really not a challenge and doesn't require any "cramming" or special preparation.

i also don't buy the sweeping generalization made that academic high-achievers are, by default, uninteresting and "geeky" and don't possess social or creative skills. it is quite the opposite, in my experience.

a whole lot of fluff, imo.

btw, has anyone written a book on tiger sons?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:48 am

i don't understand why they assume that all those who do well at the tests are just "test crammers". a person who has a thorough understanding of the topics covered will find these tests extremely easy. for a smart kid with well developed english language skills, SAT is really not a challenge and doesn't require any "cramming" or special preparation.

>>>>Some of this "cramming" stuff may be true, but a lot of it is politically correct nonsense. They want to shy away from the idea that there are differences in verbal-analytical skill levels. Now, if they had made the point that academic excellence is not the only thing that matters, then that would be a worthy discussion. For instance, risk-taking, the ability to think out of the box, creating paradigm shifts are all worthwhile attributes and there has been no scarcity of these in this country historically. Some of the stuff they touch upon are quite true. An example of this is the under-representation of Asians in leadership positions. I think they are excluding Indians when they are discussing Asians here. I wonder how the numbers will look of Indians are included.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:41 am

bw wrote:i don't understand why they assume that all those who do well at the tests are just "test crammers". a person who has a thorough understanding of the topics covered will find these tests extremely easy. for a smart kid with well developed english language skills, SAT is really not a challenge and doesn't require any "cramming" or special preparation.

i also don't buy the sweeping generalization made that academic high-achievers are, by default, uninteresting and "geeky" and don't possess social or creative skills. it is quite the opposite, in my experience.

this sort of narrative is quite standard fare in the US and sometimes on academic campuses. IMO it is just masked racism, pure and simple.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:49 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

Largely true. Parents are to be blamed for much of this. The Asian parents are from the 80s and 90s and they pass on the "strict culture" of obedience to the kids.

Of course, in US, they assume that dragging them to Piano, dance, SAT class, AP courses, music, debate, etc...etc..(in lieu of evening IIT tuition that they went in their times) and assume they are raising a wholesome kid. They forget that they are still exposing them only to "education" - albeit slightly wider spectrum. They dont get some time for themselves to waste on things that they like to do...

Funny ramblings from those who did all mentioned in video, took the flight from their Indian villages and now living in US villas ready to rant. hahaha... hypocrisy explained.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:01 am

This video is BS and also nonsense in 2013. They "had to?" discuss underachieving asians in 2013. Why? Would they have discussed "Underachieving Asians" in 1990? No

Fast-forward from 1990 to 2013, I see Infosys, Wipro, Tata, Reliance, HCL, TCS crawling all over corporate America and someone somewhere is discussing "Underachieving Asians"? Smile

southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:24 pm

southindian wrote:

This video is BS and also nonsense in 2013. They "had to?" discuss underachieving asians in 2013. Why? Would they have discussed "Underachieving Asians" in 1990? No

Fast-forward from 1990 to 2013, I see Infosys, Wipro, Tata, Reliance, HCL, TCS crawling all over corporate America and someone somewhere is discussing "Underachieving Asians"? Smile

Excellent comment!

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:34 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:i don't understand why they assume that all those who do well at the tests are just "test crammers". a person who has a thorough understanding of the topics covered will find these tests extremely easy. for a smart kid with well developed english language skills, SAT is really not a challenge and doesn't require any "cramming" or special preparation.

this sort of narrative is quite standard fare in the US and sometimes on academic campuses. IMO it is just masked racism, pure and simple.

I agree... there is a lot of racism... But the Video applies at the high school and college level. It is also true, that the % of these brightEST kids going all the way...drops off dramatically - for a variety of reasons. One of the main reasons is their lack of TRUE independence - to think and do what they want to and living independently to interact on his own with his peers.

I have a couple in out town, where in the wife moved to another city where her daughter started her medical school. The daughter will moved in with the mother after 1 semester. As such the daughter is in the 60s mold of the typical Indian girl. And true, while many top Indian kids can converse and discuss in groups, very few are adept at public speaking, managing organizations and groups.

P.S. My consulting services are available at a discounted rate of $125/hr for SuCHERS.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down