Sitting on the sidelines Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sitting on the sidelines

2 posters

Go down

Sitting on the sidelines Empty Sitting on the sidelines

Post by Idéfix Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:17 pm

I used to be a fairly active trader until late 2011. I had strong instincts and I usually acted on them. And I made some decent returns. I liquidated my portfolio for a home downpayment and stopped trading then. Now want to start trading again. The money is sitting in my brokerage account, and I should take some positions. But I have been sitting on the sidelines for several weeks now. I have considered a few trades, but haven't clicked submit on any. For every potential buy, I start second-guessing; I just don't have the same strong belief in my analysis of individual stocks. I am doing at least as much reading / keeping up on the market as I used to earlier. Do you take breaks from active trading? If you do, how do you get back into the thick of it?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Sitting on the sidelines Empty Re: Sitting on the sidelines

Post by Guest Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:20 pm

Heard somewhere that this is the right time to get back in the stock market. I have never traded, but I bought a bunch of bac last week, in my rollover account. Got about 300. Am +130 on them. yay.

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:33 am

1. Decide first what type of trader/investor you are: Value, Momentum, Day, Long term, Short term etc. etc.
2. Discipline, discipline, discipline - Do not be greedy or go off the reservation.
Stick to your initial set of rules. eg. "If it drops 10%, you will get out nevermind market prognosis."
3. Study the charts, establish context historical, 3 year, 1 year and 6 months. Read financial press.
4. Do hypotheticals for a month or 3. See if you have horse sense. Recalibrate your self-delusion about your ability to predict.
5. Understand what you are getting into - the company, competitors, trading trends (volumes, spreads, any patterns).
6. Consider tax implications.

Talk it out...lot of people want to pick holes in your arguments - use that to your advantage.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down