This and that- Water and "Celluloid" (movie and great song).. Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This and that- Water and "Celluloid" (movie and great song)..

+3
Idéfix
Petrichor
Maria S
7 posters

Go down

This and that- Water and "Celluloid" (movie and great song).. Empty This and that- Water and "Celluloid" (movie and great song)..

Post by Maria S Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:07 am

What a difference a water bottle can make..poor man Mr. Rubio:)
http://www.buzzfeed.com/bennyjohnson/senator-rubio-has-a-wtf-moment-with-water-on-live-television

Now to a Malayalam movie- Celluloid..which is getting a lot of attention and has a great song. I think I have seen two movies since Chattakari..not worth mentioning..this one is getting so much attention from Tamil artists (real ones) and fans..it's quite unbelievable!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celluloid_(film)

It is based on the life of J.C Daniel a tamilian- apparently called the "Father of Malayalam cinema"..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J.C._Daniel
Excerpts:

In 1926, Daniel established the first film studio in Kerala named The Travancore National Pictures. He made money for the purpose by selling a piece of land in his name for Rs. 4 lakh.[1] With all set, he started the production work of the film of his dreams. He wrote the script and titled it Vigathakumaran.
Vigathakumaran was exhibited in Trivandrum at the Capitol Theatre on 7 November 1928.[4] Despite being the first film made in Kerala and the social significance of the film, it faced wrath of certain orthodox groups in Kerala, due to the presence of a woman in the film.When vigathakumaran was released at capitol cinema in thiruvananthapuram,she was not allowed into the theatre as caste Hindus,outraged that a converted dalit could play a nair lady in the filim, created a ruckus. At that time acting in films were considered as an act at par with prostitution.[4] During the screening, stones were pelt on the screen, damaging it.[6] The film did moderate business at the box office and the collections were way less than the expenditure.

The first Malayalam actress was a daily wage labourer named Rosie from a place called Thaikkat near Trivandrum. She used to come with lunch to act in the movie and go for her work in the evening. Since she acted in the movie and that was considered at par with prostitution,[4] some of the orthodox society burned down her hut. She fled to Tamil Nadu where she got married and spent the rest of her life. Nobody knows the whereabouts of Rosie after she left Trivandrum.[6]

Daniel spent the rest of his life as a dentist at Palayamkottai. He was into poverty towards the last days of his life spent at Agastheeswaram. Though he applied for pension under the scheme for ailing artists, the Government rejected it since he was born in Tamil Nadu state. In his book and articles noted Film Journalist Chelangatt Gopalakrishnan firstly established that Vigathakumaran was the first Malayalam Cinema and J. C. Daniel was its architect as Director, Producer, Cinematographer and Hero.
*He described the story of Vigathakumaran in articles published since 1960, but Kerala Government has rejected his crusade because of Daniel was not a Malayalee. The Government version was that if Daniel want Pension or financial assistance, he has to apply it for Tamil Nadu Government, because he is living Agastheeswaram in Kanyakumari district. The crusade of Chelangattu Gopalakrishnan against this negative attitude has finally met victory. The same Kerala government has approved Daniel as a Keralite and even placed him as the 'Father of Malayalam Cinema'.
_________

"Katte Katte"..Ms. Vaikkom Vijayalakshmi is a blind singer..she is not Ms. India (for the beauty critics!)..but has such a purity in her voice..easy to understand lyrics..even for a tamilian like me and moved me..made me nostalgic for the songs in a bygone era, it has gone viral with tamil fans too..
Will def. try to watch this one.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

This and that- Water and "Celluloid" (movie and great song).. Empty Re: This and that- Water and "Celluloid" (movie and great song)..

Post by Maria S Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:38 am

Hmm..no one cares:)
*Note to self*..not to worry..silence can be golden..take it, and use it more!
I had a small croissant and coffee this morning. Hoping to have a chicken salad sandwich for lunch and orange soda..not sure, if that will happen.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

This and that- Water and "Celluloid" (movie and great song).. Empty Re: This and that- Water and "Celluloid" (movie and great song)..

Post by Petrichor Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:44 am

I heard, Maria...and it is nice, endearing. Smile

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:47 am

Thanks atcg.
It's understandable that things which may strike a chord and move people in other places- may not do a thing here..to each his/her own!
But, I do appreciate your comment:)

*Thought at least the Rubio part..will get some responses..pos/neg..NOT a thing:D!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:57 am

Hahaha @ Rubio and water.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:07 pm

Very diplomatic Mr. Carvaka..very diplomatic:)
Thanks.
It was funny and memorable..one does not have to be Lincoln..or Reagan..or Obama (or some Indian politician with soaring oratory for hours- without a goli soda!) This was his "global debut- show moment"..always remember what most Mamas remind kids..drink some water, use the restroom..got to hold it together for a few mins in that show!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:36 am

So funny! Stephen does it as only he can:)
Poor Mr. Rubio..he has joined the Bobby Jindal for the memorable SOTU appearances. "Optics" do matter for politicians in this telegenics age!

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/02/14/colbert-dont-worry-sen-rubio-no-one-noticed-that-you-gave-a-speech/
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:42 am

Trust Colbert to cover all bases with a story like this! It looks like there's more trouble for Rubio. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/13/marco-rubio-finances_n_2678744.html?utm_hp_ref=politics
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:50 am

Whoa..$72,000 to $ 675,000..in less than 10 years (almost 10 times more, wish we can do that!)- when so many people are foreclosing and taking huge hits in home value.
And I think he and his family took out a lot of Fed. College loans too..so much for the "bad Govt"..and I "built this".
*Everyone needs help..just a matter of when, where and how much.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:15 pm

This and that- Water and "Celluloid" (movie and great song).. Reclaim_WaterBottle_403x403

https://www.reclaimamericapac.com/donate/water-bottle/?utm_source=DrudgeReport&utm_medium=Display&utm_campaign=20130213_b64m51k57a24a72h38k21m33g80n97g66b46k95m12n74l03m12h25h38k20l03c76b46h73f58o34c17m34l14h12f54o27b80h12b53m83o34f70a52w87b64m51k57a24a72h38k21m33g80n97g66b46k95m12n74l03m12h25h38k20l03c76b46h73f58o34c17m34l14h12f54o27b80h12b53m83o34f70a52f82e69
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:20 pm

mariajee.. you need to attract the audience with a sassy title.

Since by looking at the left column one can't id who started a thread, I ignore threads without a sensationalist title.

Will listen to the song later and comment on it. Saw SOTU and was not too impressed. Obama has a lot of ideas and proposals and let us see how many come to fruition.

doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:25 pm

HA,
$25 really to Rubio?Smile I would rather give a V-day gift to Snoopy:)

I know DM ji!
Not creative at all:) Please do listen to the song..and do comment.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:41 pm

Maria S wrote:HA,
$25 really to Rubio?Smile I would rather give a V-day gift to Snoopy:)

I gave him twice that. My V-day gift to the CPAC.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:52 pm

Well HA, it's your money..good for you!Smile
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:00 pm

finally listened to the song..
very good, old fashioned and melodious.
will look for the movie in thiruttu vcd of netflix.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:04 pm

You have great taste DM:)
Seriously, thanks for listening and liking.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:04 pm

Maria S wrote:Well HA, it's your money..good for you!Smile

Damn right, it is.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:08 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Maria S wrote:Well HA, it's your money..good for you!Smile

Damn right, it is.

Whoa! What's the matter..I was just making a light-hearted comment...my bad, if I offended you in any way.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:09 pm

Hopefully Rubio no longer needs to go thirsty after this donation!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:11 pm

that rubio story is such a non-story IMHO.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:14 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:that rubio story is such a non-story IMHO.

*Not a word from me* (I shall enjoy a kiss- Hershey's Valentine kiss now).
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:17 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:that rubio story is such a non-story IMHO.
Yeah, everybody will forget it in a week or two. The thing about how he benefited financially from his political office is much more of a liability to him.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:20 pm

Before the Oscars..nice to know!

The film ‘Celluloid’ which depicts the life of J.C. Daniel, revered as the father of Malayalam cinema, has won seven State film awards, including those for the best feature film and best actor.The songs ‘Katte katte…’ and ‘En untodi…’ won the best music director award for M. Jayachandran. Sriram and Vaikkom Vijayalekshmi who sang the duet won a special jury mention..

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/kerala/seven-awards-for-celluloid/article4443795.ece

*Would be nice to see Jennifer Lawrence and SLPB..win at least a few Os' (the likelihood is small though!) on Sunday.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:46 am

Will try to keep this thread alive (instead of starting a new one)..and post about good new movies I hear about..

*Am hearing a lot of good things about this tamil movie "Haridas":

http://www.thehindu.com/features/cinema/film-review-haridas-story-of-action-and-emotions/article4446268.ece
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

This and that- Water and "Celluloid" (movie and great song).. Empty "Chennaiyil Oru Naal" - Tamil Movie

Post by Maria S Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:40 am

"Chennaiyil Oru Naal"..is the remake of the hit Malayalam movie "Traffic".

I can't say enough good things about Radikha as a person and actress (movies and TV), entrepreneur producer-business woman etc..just amazing. It's good to see her involve her entire family, give jobs to so many actors-people..and just not as the matriarch..but "earns it" every single time with her brilliance- talent, extreme hard work..thoughtful portrayals of women characters..social messages. There is no other woman in the Tamil entertainment industry, who comes even close to her!

*This movie has a great ensemble cast and as her husband Sarath who also is in the movie says..she is perhaps the best actress to portray the role of Prakash Raj's wife- to take him on as an equal with "gravitas"..In this movie- the message is about organ donations.

I have started watching her TV serial..Vani Rani, when I can..she is absolutely fab in dual roles.

*On a different note..quite disappointed as a Rajinikanth movie fan to see his silence on the Tamil Eeelam issue. Now he wants to pretend he cares and join the other tamil stars in their protest coming up.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:47 pm

Maria S wrote:"Chennaiyil Oru Naal"..is the remake of the hit Malayalam movie "Traffic".

I can't say enough good things about Radikha as a person and actress (movies and TV), entrepreneur producer-business woman etc..just amazing. It's good to see her involve her entire family, give jobs to so many actors-people..and just not as the matriarch..but "earns it" every single time with her brilliance- talent, extreme hard work..thoughtful portrayals of women characters..social messages. There is no other woman in the Tamil entertainment industry, who comes even close to her!

*This movie has a great ensemble cast and as her husband Sarath who also is in the movie says..she is perhaps the best actress to portray the role of Prakash Raj's wife- to take him on as an equal with "gravitas"..In this movie- the message is about organ donations.

I have started watching her TV serial..Vani Rani, when I can..she is absolutely fab in dual roles.

*On a different note..quite disappointed as a Rajinikanth movie fan to see his silence on the Tamil Eeelam issue. Now he wants to pretend he cares and join the other tamil stars in their protest coming up.

Hi Maria, All the utb vids are banned from work place and when I go home I don't have time to browse. Anyways, you are absolutely right about Madam Radhika - she is very exceptional, talented, and can act. Her portrait as "Rani" char is amazing and everytime makes me brust into laughter and makes me happy cry. LOL I love her Razz Smile

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:56 pm

Hello Sasthi!

Nice to see you! And nice to see you agree, and apparently you have excellent taste too:)

Seriously she is hilarious as Rani..and so refreshing.
Hope you are doing well.

Last edited by Maria S on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:57 pm

Maria S wrote:Will try to keep this thread alive (instead of starting a new one)..and post about good new movies I hear about..

*Am hearing a lot of good things about this tamil movie "Haridas":

http://www.thehindu.com/features/cinema/film-review-haridas-story-of-action-and-emotions/article4446268.ece

heard good things about this movie too. HAven't seen it yet.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:10 pm

Haridas was a good movie - nice interweaving of the autism spectrum emotional tugs with a 'masala' twist for the forumulaic audience. Sneha is on low-sim. Dateable.

Thaandavam was unrealistic and shines in a few places. Timepass. Anushka Shetty and Vikram speak telegraphic Tamil a la Maniratnam couples and exit after a platonic marriage. Vikram as the blind RAW agent gone rogue uses echolocation and other such esoteric skills to waste the moviegoer's time.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:23 pm

Have not seen Haridas or Thaandavam.

Continuing the theme of this thread (*and Sasthi-Nila..if you read this), I am in line with your taste..like Shiva and the other Siva..Sivakarthikeyan..they both crack me up..delightful!

Speaking of younger artists..nice to see Yuvan (son of Ilayaraja) entice the legendary music director MSV to perform in this catchy and fun remix (from the new Thillu Mullu- released a few days ago)! Not bad for an eighty-four old man at all! Fab to see younger and older Indians with great attitudes..only some NRIs are into unnecessary ageism.

Of course..who can forget MSV's old classics..like this one with 3 superstars..

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:46 pm

M akka,

thandavam was bad, IMO. Well, chennayil oru naal was a disappointment as well. the original was so much better. They messed up the screenplay and the adaptation was B.A.D.

there is a new thillu mullu? wow, that i wanna see. love the original.

How have you been?

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:12 pm

Impedimenta wrote:M akka,

thandavam was bad, IMO. Well, chennayil oru naal was a disappointment as well. the original was so much better. They messed up the screenplay and the adaptation was B.A.D.

there is a new thillu mullu? wow, that i wanna see. love the original.

How have you been?

Hello I!

Frankly, have lost some interest in movies (can't watch anything more than an hour, even sports- watch the last 30-45 mins!)

Am doing okay..thanks for asking. Never a dull moment for sure..trying to work on some new projects..may visit a few places, I have not been to. We'll see.

Hope you are doing well and enjoying the summer. take care.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down