Would you...  Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Would you...

5 posters

Go down

Would you...  Empty Would you...

Post by Idéfix Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:52 pm

... spend $15,000 or so to change all your windows from single- to double-paned windows, when the windows you have are in decent condition? One clear upside to doing this is energy efficiency. But with the relatively mild weather here, I don't see us saving more than perhaps $50 a month in energy costs on average, so there is no business case for this investment. The wife thinks it will add to the property value, but I am skeptical. I didn't think too much about windows when I figured out how much to offer for any house, and I don't think others do either. Even from an environmental viewpoint, I think discarding the current windows that are in decent condition and can last another 20 years is much worse for the environment than burning some extra natural gas to heat the home on cold nights.

The other option is to do it for the two master bedroom windows, which are older than other windows and in worse cosmetic condition. That would make the room a little warmer at night, and cost about $3,500.

So, would you do either of the upgrades?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Would you...  Empty Re: Would you...

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:02 pm

before you do anything find out if there are non-profit agencies in your area that offer free energy audits. there is an agency here funded by the local utilities that offer these kinds of audits. once they do the audit, they do some portions of the work (like adding insulation to your attic if you have one) and filling cavities with sprayable foam insulation for free. then they recommend other changes in increasing order of priority that is likely to tighten up your house and reduce your energy bill and they'll also tell you which of those are covered by ongoing tax breaks in your state. don't make any energy related changes until you do this. the same outfit will also provide a list of contractors licensed by them who can do the work. and then at the end of the work they'll stop by to certify that the work has been done correctly according to state code.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:05 pm

here check this out: http://www.masssave.com/

i am sure there is an equivalent CA outfit.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:07 pm

one more piece of advice. the biggest and most low cost bang for lowering your energy bill is to turn your thermostat down and put on a sweater. read this book: http://www.withouthotair.com/ (in particular the technical chapter on home heating).

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:07 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:before you do anything find out if there are non-profit agencies in your area that offer free energy audits. there is an agency here funded by the local utilities that offer these kinds of audits. once they do the audit, they do some portions of the work (like adding insulation to your attic if you have one) and filling cavities with sprayable foam insulation for free. then they recommend other changes in increasing order of priority that is likely to tighten up your house and reduce your energy bill and they'll also tell you which of those are covered by ongoing tax breaks in your state. don't make any energy related changes until you do this. the same outfit will also provide a list of contractors licensed by them who can do the work. and then at the end of the work they'll stop by to certify that the work has been done correctly according to state code.
Thanks, I am going to look into this. I think the house and the attic are both poorly insulated. It will be great to have people who know this stuff prioritize the changes for me.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:08 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:one more piece of advice. the biggest and most low cost bang for lowering your energy bill is to turn your thermostat down and put on a sweater. read this book: http://www.withouthotair.com/
Yes, this is something we learned after our first energy bill in the new house Smile. It doesn't help the energy bill any that we both work from home quite a bit.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:13 pm

I defer my comments.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:13 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:I defer my comments.
Why?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:30 pm

There are some tax breaks and other incentives for energy upgrades.

https://energyupgradeca.org/county/yourcounty/overview

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:33 pm

panini press wrote:
Why?

An Amerikaan told me when I bought my house " you just found yourself a bottomless pit to pour money into"

Curb your tendency to convert your apt into a BRAND-new apt. Look at it as a business deal and always think of the return you will get for the added investment. With market down no matter how much money u put in, it wont raise its value much. By the time market turns around, you will need to do plenty more remodeling.

Kitchen and bathroom are the best for remodeling from investment point of view. Unless you will recoup your added cost within 3 years in energy savings, dont change the windows. With gas price down, you will never recoup the cost in another 15 years. Dont mess with something if it ain't broke.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:36 pm

Me too U- def not a good idea to say anything to a husband, when a wife wants it on a pre-valentine day:)

Well, wouldn't. Will take the "regional approach". Don't know about CA..but, in this part of the country..that's a lot of money to change window panes to make the house energy-efficient and just save $600/year in energy bills. And don't how much that will add to the house value..unless one is planning to live there for a long..real long time.

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:37 pm

i agree with the windows bit, but a lot of people are unaware that the utilities run non-profits which do this work for "free". why wouldn't he get these done if they are free? actually they aren't free because they charge us for it in our energy bills (in MA it's 1% of the bill or something like that from ALL customers).
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:40 pm

by now you're probably skeptical and asking why would this be free. well it's mostly the electric utilities that want you to do this. they'd rather pay for it because it keeps energy demand in check during summer when people go ape shit crazy with their air conditioners. that's when utitlities sometimes have difficulty meeting demand and deal with blackouts. it's in their interest to pay for you to do this.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:46 pm

Yeah, it looks like PG&E has a free audit program in Central Valley counties where summer highs can exceed 100 degrees. Haven't found a free audit program in my county yet, but did find someone to come do an "energy walk-through" for free. Will decide what to do after that walk-through.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum