bertrand russell - why i am not a christian Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bertrand russell - why i am not a christian

5 posters

Go down

bertrand russell - why i am not a christian Empty bertrand russell - why i am not a christian

Post by bw Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:08 am

read by Terence Hardiman

"Religion is based, I think, primarily and mainly upon fear. It is partly
the terror of the unknown and partly, as I have said, the wish to feel
that you have a kind of elder brother who will stand by you in all your
troubles and disputes....A good world needs knowledge, kindliness, and
courage; it does not need a regretful hankering after the past or a
fettering of the free intelligence by the words uttered long ago by
ignorant men
"

bw

Back to top Go down

bertrand russell - why i am not a christian Empty Re: bertrand russell - why i am not a christian

Post by goodcitizn Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:11 am

bw wrote:read by Terence Hardiman

ignorant men
"

Should be "Why am I anti-religious?"

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

bertrand russell - why i am not a christian Empty Re: bertrand russell - why i am not a christian

Post by bw Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:31 am

true, guess he is using "christian" loosely, it being the majority religion around him.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:34 am

I am not sure how well/deep western philosophers read/understood eastern relgions/Hinduism.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:38 am

Talking of Indian philosophers, my dad and granddad were admirers of J.Krishnamuthy. I was not impressed by his lectures at all.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:45 am

goodcitizn wrote:Talking of Indian philosophers, my dad and granddad were admirers of J.Krishnamuthy. I was not impressed by his lectures at all.

you don't believe in mysticism and out of body experiences?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:33 am

ignorant men
"

Why are you slighting the great Su-Ch scholars by bringing Russell's and not their views? The title should be "Why I am not Hindu" with the great posts of our own exceptionally brilliant Su-Ch scholars gracing the text. Basketball

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:34 am

bw wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:Talking of Indian philosophers, my dad and granddad were admirers of J.Krishnamuthy. I was not impressed by his lectures at all.

you don't believe in mysticism and out of body experiences?

Ain't my cuppa tea!

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:36 pm

FluteHolder wrote:I am not sure how well/deep western philosophers read/understood eastern relgions/Hinduism.

Russell carefully used his words when he referred to his religious background - Christianity. He knew the faith he grew up in. So, being a fair-minded person, he only alluded to it.

Extremely brilliant Indian (and CH) scholars derive pleasure extrapolating what he said to the faith they grew up in (Hinduism).

We should not compare them with Russell. Unlike them, he was just a simple, ordinary and straightforward rationalist. Very Happy

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:24 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
FluteHolder wrote:I am not sure how well/deep western philosophers read/understood eastern relgions/Hinduism.

Russell carefully used his words when he referred to his religious background - Christianity.
Hmm, did he choose his words carefully only for the title? Or was he being careful when he said this?

Religion is based, I think, primarily and mainly upon fear. It is partly the terror of the unknown and partly, as I have said, the wish to feel that you have a kind of elder brother who will stand by you in all your troubles and disputes. Fear is the basis of the whole thing -- fear of the mysterious, fear of defeat, fear of death. Fear is the parent of cruelty, and therefore it is no wonder if cruelty and religion have gone hand in hand.

Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:32 pm

ignorant men
"
Thanks for posting this. This was one of the summaries of the whole argument that I found most helpful when I was a teenager. Another was the essay by EM Forster called "What I Believe" -- he opens that with the ambitious words, "I do not believe in belief." Here is an abridged version of that essay: http://www.skeptic.ca/EM_Forster_What_I_Believe.htm

Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:27 pm

panini press wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:

Russell carefully used his words when he referred to his religious background - Christianity.
Hmm, did he choose his words carefully only for the title? Or was he being careful when he said this?

Religion is based, I think, primarily and mainly upon fear. It is partly the terror of the unknown and partly, as I have said, the wish to feel that you have a kind of elder brother who will stand by you in all your troubles and disputes. Fear is the basis of the whole thing -- fear of the mysterious, fear of defeat, fear of death. Fear is the parent of cruelty, and therefore it is no wonder if cruelty and religion have gone hand in hand.

Extremely brilliant scholars forget that religion means Semitic faiths for followers of J, C and I. Russell was clearly referring to his. Even Dawkin separates eastern systems from semitic faiths when he talks of religion.

Re: fear - There is a difference between an agent sitting in the sky and dictating terms and believing that the agent and the person are one.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:44 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
panini press wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:

Extremely brilliant scholars forget that religion means Semitic faiths for followers of J, C and I. Russell was clearly referring to his.
No, guruvu gaaru, he wasn't. He explicitly calls out Buddhism as a religion in this same lecture. He also refers to a Hindu belief and uses it to dismiss one of the Catholic "proofs" of God's existence.

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Re: fear - There is a difference between an agent sitting in the sky and dictating terms and believing that the agent and the person are one.
In terms of behavior, most Hindus do act as if there are some agents sitting in the sky and dictating terms. A small fraction of Hindus do say, "the agent and the person are one;" a large fraction of even those, like yourself, are far from acting as if that were true.

You seem to imply that it is sensible on Russell's part to say "I am not a Christian," but one should not say "I am not a Hindu." Weird!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:14 pm

panini press wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
panini press wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:

Extremely brilliant scholars forget that religion means Semitic faiths for followers of J, C and I. Russell was clearly referring to his.
No, guruvu gaaru, he wasn't. He explicitly calls out Buddhism as a religion in this same lecture. He also refers to a Hindu belief and uses it to dismiss one of the Catholic "proofs" of God's existence.

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Re: fear - There is a difference between an agent sitting in the sky and dictating terms and believing that the agent and the person are one.
In terms of behavior, most Hindus do act as if there are some agents sitting in the sky and dictating terms. A small fraction of Hindus do say, "the agent and the person are one;" a large fraction of even those, like yourself, are far from acting as if that were true.

You seem to imply that it is sensible on Russell's part to say "I am not a Christian," but one should not say "I am not a Hindu." Weird!

I am not excusing Hindus (many are as superstitious as any other). Russell could not be talking about Hinduism - that was my point. I would be surprised if he did (considering that he believes in understanding the issue before forming opinions on it). Let us look at Buddhism - in what way is it a religion? Where is this external agency that dictates your life?

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:44 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Russell could not be talking about Hinduism - that was my point. I would be surprised if he did (considering that he believes in understanding the issue before forming opinions on it). Let us look at Buddhism - in what way is it a religion? Where is this external agency that dictates your life?
Russell, as you said, chose his words carefully. He said Christianity when he meant the tradition he was born into. He said religion when he meant all religious traditions. He said some things about his native religious tradition, and some other things about all religious traditions. You would like to believe that he chose his words carefully with respect to the former but not so with the latter.

Who defined religion as requiring an "external agency that dictates your life?"
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:21 pm

panini press wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Russell could not be talking about Hinduism - that was my point. I would be surprised if he did (considering that he believes in understanding the issue before forming opinions on it). Let us look at Buddhism - in what way is it a religion? Where is this external agency that dictates your life?
Russell, as you said, chose his words carefully. He said Christianity when he meant the tradition he was born into. He said religion when he meant all religious traditions. He said some things about his native religious tradition, and some other things about all religious traditions. You would like to believe that he chose his words carefully with respect to the former but not so with the latter.

Followers of Semitic faiths do. They, in fact, think that others are misled (by the devil?) and faithless. Some of the derogatory words relate to this. Everyone outside J-C-I is a "non-believer". A recent Pope (Ratzinger?) actually called Buddhism faithless and the cause of downfall of humanity (not exactly in those words). The average follower of Semitic faiths thinks that the rest are destined to go to hell. External agency is a must. In fact, meditation, self discovery and conclusions that are independent of the old book are a heretic's way of living.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:26 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
panini press wrote:

Followers of Semitic faiths do. They, in fact, think that others are misled (by the devil?) and faithless. Some of the derogatory words relate to this. Everyone outside J-C-I is a "non-believer". A recent Pope (Ratzinger?) actually called Buddhism faithless and the cause of downfall of humanity (not exactly in those words). The average follower of Semitic faiths thinks that the rest are destined to go to hell. External agency is a must. In fact, meditation, self discovery and conclusions that are independent of the old book are a heretic's way of living.
Russell didn't believe in any of that, so your premise that "Buddhism cannot be a religion because there is no external agency in it dictating your life" is wrong.

The "average" follower of Semitic faiths may believe in all that you say. The average follower of Hinduism also has some pretty narrow-minded (and consequently stupid-sounding) beliefs. The average follower of Hinduism believes in the same external agency that the average Jew, Christian or Muslim believes in. If that weren't the case, you wouldn't have long lines in Tirupati full of people fulfilling their end of a quid pro quo commercial transaction with that external agency.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:41 pm

panini press wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
panini press wrote:

Russell didn't believe in any of that, so your premise that "Buddhism cannot be a religion because there is no external agency in it dictating your life" is wrong.

The "average" follower of Semitic faiths may believe in all that you say. The average follower of Hinduism also has some pretty narrow-minded (and consequently stupid-sounding) beliefs. The average follower of Hinduism believes in the same external agency that the average Jew, Christian or Muslim believes in. If that weren't the case, you wouldn't have long lines in Tirupati full of people fulfilling their end of a quid pro quo commercial transaction with that external agency.

You are right about quid pro quo in Tirupati (and in Puri, Shirdi, Puttaparti, etc.). My original point was that Semitic faiths doesn't consider eastern faiths religion. I wasn't elevating eastern faiths either. Take it whichever way you want to. I'll leave it there. Let Rashmun discuss with you from now on.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:44 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:My original point was that Semitic faiths doesn't consider eastern faiths religion.
You may be right about that, but I was just saying that extrapolating the views of the average Christian to Russell, when he is clearly not a Christian, is unwarranted.

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Let Rashmun discuss with you from now on.
lol!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down