Being observed Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Being observed

Go down

Being observed Empty Being observed

Post by Petrichor Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:59 am

Dear Dan,

In one of the chapters of "The Upside of Irrationality" you suggest a canoe ride as a good indicator of the success of a future relationship, since it often gives one person plenty of opportunity to blame the other for things that go wrong. Here is the question: Would it matter that one of the participants knows it's a test?

P.S. Before my ex-wife and I got married, we did go on a canoe ride, and it was the worst experience ever. Just to add to your statistics…

Oren

Like most tests in life, the canoe trial works best when the people in question don't know they are taking part in a test. Tests make us feel that watchful eyes are on us, so we try to put on our best behavior. If your loved one knows about it, the test is not valid.

Now that I think about it, maybe the real trick is to try to persuade your partner that she is often in a test and being watched. I have always suspected that once people have the Nielsen ratings machines installed in their homes they start watching more PBS and fewer reality shows.

Maybe if you persuaded your significant other that you have some "Ariely Romantic Ratings Machine" installed in your house, your domestic life will improve. Perhaps you should start a company to provide such a service?

http://goo.gl/9TgRl [Journal subscription may be required]

Petrichor

Back to top Go down