A visit to the local Hindi restaurant Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A visit to the local Hindi restaurant

2 posters

Go down

A visit to the local Hindi restaurant Empty A visit to the local Hindi restaurant

Post by Petrichor Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:33 am

We ordered Veg Jalfraize (could have been appropriated by the Hindians from the French) and Paneer Makhni. Suspected that the paneer dish used good old Heinz ketchup somewhere in its processing. The 'naan bread' from the tandoor oven was well-done. We sent back the bhindi masala as it had too many tomatoes and the bhindi was undercooked. In general it is possible that Hindians may have been influenced by 'al dente' for their cooking - whether it be texmati rice or bhindi. Discuss.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

A visit to the local Hindi restaurant Empty Re: A visit to the local Hindi restaurant

Post by Guest Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:41 am

Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:We ordered Veg Jalfraize (could have been appropriated by the Hindians from the French) and Paneer Makhni. Suspected that the paneer dish used good old Heinz ketchup somewhere in its processing. The 'naan bread' from the tandoor oven was well-done. We sent back the bhindi masala as it had too many tomatoes and the bhindi was undercooked. In general it is possible that Hindians may have been influenced by 'al dente' for their cooking - whether it be texmati rice or bhindi. Discuss.

There is no such word as Hindian.

Back to top Go down

A visit to the local Hindi restaurant Empty Re: A visit to the local Hindi restaurant

Post by Petrichor Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:49 am

Good to know that 'Hindi restaurants' exist!

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:53 am

Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:Good to know that 'Hindi restaurants' exist!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/hindi-restaurant-berlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:08 am

And they are probably using bangladeshi cooks that jumped a fence in black forest.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:31 am

Hate when they add ketchup in the name of gravy/curry.

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:41 am

I dislike it even more when I find the cooks loitering in the back alley, with dirty aprons coated with dried turmeric and masala stains, cigarette in hand and 'undocumented hindian' written all over their faces.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:51 am

Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:I dislike it even more when I find the cooks loitering in the back alley, with dirty aprons coated with dried turmeric and masala stains, cigarette in hand and 'undocumented hindian' written all over their faces.

Many (not all) Sinhalese feel the same way about a certain ethnic community. so you are not alone in your thinking.

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:59 am

(Many) Sinhalese are blood-thirsty genocidal goons - I don't particularly care for their opinions.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:02 am

Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:Sinhalese are blood-thirsty genocidal goons - I don't particularly care for their opinions.

Sinhalese use the same words you are using for them (blood-thirsty, genocidal, etc.) for certain members belonging to a certain ethnic community.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:27 am

Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:We ordered Veg Jalfraize (could have been appropriated by the Hindians from the French) and Paneer Makhni. Suspected that the paneer dish used good old Heinz ketchup somewhere in its processing. The 'naan bread' from the tandoor oven was well-done. We sent back the bhindi masala as it had too many tomatoes and the bhindi was undercooked. In general it is possible that Hindians may have been influenced by 'al dente' for their cooking - whether it be texmati rice or bhindi. Discuss.

veg. jhaalfrezi, paneer makhni and bhindi masala are items i would never order when dining in a NI restaurant. when we want to dine outside for veg food, it is usually SI or chinese (yes haldiram serves vegetable hakka choumein too) or haldiram/bhikaram meals or gujju/rajasthani accent restaurants. don't take me wrong -- it is not that there aren't any appetizing vegetarian items in NI cuisine but just that the popular restaurants don't highlight them (the accent is always more on non veg). you will get good veggie NI food in dhabas (confined to tadka dal or arahar, tandoori rotis and fresh salad) or at weddings where you might find kadhi, sai bhaji, chole, creamy and spicy palak & tomatoes sabzi, veggie sheekh kebabs, litti chokha, veggie kofta curries etc. or in pure vaishnavi hotels.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:27 pm

welcome back, hu. you made my mouth water for these tantalizing treats. i must be hungry or this post made me hungry - not sure

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:36 am

I thought I had put behind all those greasy veg jalfrezis and bhindi masalas that make up desi restaurant cuisine in the US and moved on in life. But they caught up with me, in all places, at HongKong.

I was of course looking fwd to fulfilling my roast duck cravings but that was not to be. The vegetarian company with me was very excited to learn that the coffee shop at the fancy hotel I was staying at had an Indian buffet lunch every day. So I was dragged there kicking and screaming.

And lo and behold, all those nightmarish dishes were there on gory display. Everything was so bad. The flavors and spices were overdone. Forget the jalfrezis and bhindi masalas - I'm too smart to waste the valuable real estate on my plate with those. I tried the mutton kebab. Horrendous. I tried the beef vindaloo. Unpalatable. Ultimately, the only two items that passed muster were the chicken tikkas and the masala dosa from the live dosa counter. The desserts (mostly non-Indian, except for the gulab jamun) were of course delicious, so I feasted on them.

So yeah. I feel sorry for you NRI brethren. As I dig into my second breakfast this morning, a plate of steaming hot Kanchipuram idli with delicious coconut chutney and sambar, I truly feel for you guys. All the money in the world and yet you get fed such bad glop that masquerades for desi food. So sad.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:34 am

seven wrote:welcome back, hu. you made my mouth water for these tantalizing treats. i must be hungry or this post made me hungry - not sure
Smile. thank you!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down