Why is Richard Feynman better than Ravi Kumra? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why is Richard Feynman better than Ravi Kumra?

+3
Petrichor
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Rishi
7 posters

Go down

Why is Richard Feynman better than Ravi Kumra? Empty Why is Richard Feynman better than Ravi Kumra?

Post by Rishi Fri May 03, 2013 1:26 pm

After only two years of marriage, his wife Arline died of tuberculosis
in 1945. Feynman was stricken and turned, as some kind of compensation,
to the predatory pursuit of women – dating undergraduates, visiting
prostitutes, and sleeping with the young wives of several colleagues
while an academic at Cornell University.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/may/15/quantum-man-richard-feynman-review

Just because he was good in Physics?

Why this GOD like reverence towards him?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Why is Richard Feynman better than Ravi Kumra? Empty Re: Why is Richard Feynman better than Ravi Kumra?

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri May 03, 2013 1:29 pm

Rishi wrote:After only two years of marriage, his wife Arline died of tuberculosis

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/may/15/quantum-man-richard-feynman-review

Just because he wasgood in Physics?

Two things. He is a white American, and they are EXPECTED to screw around regardless of what others think. And, he IS ALIVE.

Kumra was an Indian and EXPECTED not to screw at all...and he is dead.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Why is Richard Feynman better than Ravi Kumra? Empty Re: Why is Richard Feynman better than Ravi Kumra?

Post by Petrichor Fri May 03, 2013 1:30 pm

Wait...you called Kumra a 'lowlife'! I didn't see anyone else do that...especially not the ones who revere Feynman. wait...I shouldn't even be responding here. Smile

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Fri May 03, 2013 1:34 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Rishi wrote:After only two years of marriage, his wife Arline died of tuberculosis

Two things. He is a white American, and they are EXPECTED to screw around regardless of what others think. And, he IS ALIVE.

Richard Feynman is dead.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri May 03, 2013 1:49 pm

Rishi wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

Richard Feynman is dead.

See... I didn't even know that...Razz But, was he killed ?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri May 03, 2013 2:27 pm

thanks for posting this. i am going to put the book on my summer reading list. i've read enough popular bios of feynman and they all boringly focus on the strip joints and the coeds he screwed. i'd like to read one heavy on the science and who better to write one than lawrence krauss!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri May 03, 2013 2:32 pm

in answer to your question -- good theoretical physicists always have a more than healthy ego. don't ask why, that's just how they are. in the most recent big bang theory episode, sheldon cooper while thanking a childhood television hero of his, prof proton, says to him, "you know in the environment i grew up in, your presence in my living room at 4 PM every day saved my life. it was responsible for my becoming a theoretical physicist. without it, i may have ended up as a hobo or a heart surgeon or something."
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri May 03, 2013 2:42 pm

if you idolize someone, you'll make all sorts of excuses for their behavior...including murder if needed. there must be a name for this sort of bias, although I dont remember the name for it

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri May 03, 2013 2:45 pm

i had never known that feynman had visited prostitutes, even though i had read one of his earlier biographies. sleeping with colleagues' wives is terrible; the crude, american term for that is "eating where one shits" or vice versa. both these habits represent an admission of low self worth.

i suspect that feynman is revered in the u.s. because he was american; americans exaggerate the value of his contributions to physics because of their nationalism. the first half of the twentieth century was a period of extraordinary advances in theoretical physics, and most of it was due to europeans. in order to not be seen as lagging, americans exaggerated the importance of the contributions of physicists like feynman.

you may have noticed that, while most of the world refers to the discoverers of the structure of the dna molecule as "crick and watson" - crick was british, and watson is american - americans almost always refer to them as "watson and crick."

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri May 03, 2013 2:50 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:in answer to your question -- good theoretical physicists always have a more than healthy ego. don't ask why, that's just how they are. in the most recent big bang theory episode, sheldon cooper while thanking a childhood television hero of his, prof proton, says to him, "you know in the environment i grew up in, your presence in my living room at 4 PM every day saved my life. it was responsible for my becoming a theoretical physicist. without it, i may have ended up as a hobo or a heart surgeon or something."
did you mean sheldon glashov? hahaha @"i may have ended up as a hobo or a heart surgeon or something!"

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri May 03, 2013 5:25 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:in answer to your question -- good theoretical physicists always have a more than healthy ego. don't ask why, that's just how they are. in the most recent big bang theory episode, sheldon cooper while thanking a childhood television hero of his, prof proton, says to him, "you know in the environment i grew up in, your presence in my living room at 4 PM every day saved my life. it was responsible for my becoming a theoretical physicist. without it, i may have ended up as a hobo or a heart surgeon or something."
did you mean sheldon glashov? hahaha @"i may have ended up as a hobo or a heart surgeon or something!"

no not glashow, sheldon cooper. cooper is a character in a currently running popular sitcom on CBS. it's the only show we watch regularly. it's based on a group of four friends, three americans (a theoretical physicist, an experimental physicist, an engineer) and an indian (an astrophysicist). sheldon cooper the theoretical physicist is the lead character and has mild aspergers (sp?) syndrome.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri May 03, 2013 5:28 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:"without it, i may have ended up as a hobo or a heart surgeon or something."
Hahaha, Sheldon is the best.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri May 03, 2013 5:32 pm

i suspect that feynman is revered in the u.s. because he was american; americans exaggerate the value of his contributions to physics because of their nationalism. the first half of the twentieth century was a period of extraordinary advances in theoretical physics, and most of it was due to europeans. in order to not be seen as lagging, americans exaggerated the importance of the contributions of physicists like feynman.

i only know physics as an engineer working in a field that uses a lot of physics. so while i don't feel qualified to make absolute judgments about their contributions as an insider i think the three physicists who won the nobel prize in the year it was awarded to feynman, the two others being julian schwinger and sin itiro tomanga, had an equal role in the QM developments after world war II. there is however one important name missing from that list, that of ennackal chandy george sudarshan. physicists i respect and know well as acquaintances and colleagues have said that in no uncertain terms. it is an absolute shame that the nobel foundation has ignored him.

and finally, my own initial acquaintance with the writings of feynman growing up was not through the popular books like "surely you must be joking", but through the three volume physics texts. they are absolute treasures especially the one on QM (volume 3).
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri May 03, 2013 5:45 pm

Since we (in fact, you are all) talking about QM - here is another Quantum news:

Cancer researchers looking for cures agree that the more computing
power they have access to, the faster their research will progress.

Right now, researchers share time on super computers, which are large
clusters of computing servers all tied together and working as one.
This sharing policy means scientists are allowed only so much time to
perform their tests before they have to relinquish the super computer to
another team of researchers waiting in line to use it.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri May 03, 2013 11:39 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

i only know physics as an engineer working in a field that uses a lot of physics. so while i don't feel qualified to make absolute judgments about their contributions as an insider i think the three physicists who won the nobel prize in the year it was awarded to feynman, the two others being julian schwinger and sin itiro tomanga, had an equal role in the QM developments after world war II. there is however one important name missing from that list, that of ennackal chandy george sudarshan. physicists i respect and know well as acquaintances and colleagues have said that in no uncertain terms. it is an absolute shame that the nobel foundation has ignored him.

and finally, my own initial acquaintance with the writings of feynman growing up was not through the popular books like "surely you must be joking", but through the three volume physics texts. they are absolute treasures especially the one on QM (volume 3).
i'm afraid i don't understand your post. in the paragraph you quoted, i was giving rishi my opinion about why feynman is revered in the u.s. i learnt physics in my undergrad days, from professors in a strong physics department, not from "surely you're joking, mr. feynman." i cited feynman's biographies for another reason: to express surprise at not having heard about his affinity for prostitutes.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat May 04, 2013 11:38 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

i'm afraid i don't understand your post. in the paragraph you quoted, i was giving rishi my opinion about why feynman is revered in the u.s. i learnt physics in my undergrad days, from professors in a strong physics department, not from "surely you're joking, mr. feynman." i cited feynman's biographies for another reason: to express surprise at not having heard about his affinity for prostitutes.

I remember Max asking something like "you want to know how many girls Feynman had boned?" It looked like Max was marvelling at this aspect of this scientist.

If an uneducated truck driver visits prostitutes and seduces his neighbors' wives in the slum in which he lives, he is being looked down. But when academic elites like Richard Feynman uses his fame and authority to exploit women, it is not only accepted but also celebrated.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat May 04, 2013 12:06 pm

Rishi wrote:

I remember Max asking something like "you want to know how many girls Feynman had boned?" It looked like Max was marvelling at this aspect of this scientist.

If an uneducated truck driver visits prostitutes and seduces his neighbors' wives in the slum in which he lives, he is being looked down. But when academic elites like Richard Feynman uses his fame and authority to exploit women, it is not only accepted but also celebrated.

Of course.....it is not what is being done, but who is doing it.

If a truck driver rapes he will be in jail fast. If it is an influential person, it will take time and he might even escape.

Same with corruption. If Rishi walks 2 miles to office he is stingy, if Bloomberg takes the train to work he is being simple.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat May 04, 2013 12:46 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:i'm afraid i don't understand your post. in the paragraph you quoted, i was giving rishi my opinion about why feynman is revered in the u.s. i learnt physics in my undergrad days, from professors in a strong physics department, not from "surely you're joking, mr. feynman." i cited feynman's biographies for another reason: to express surprise at not having heard about his affinity for prostitutes.

i am afraid it is my turn to be confused. i don't remember saying anywhere that you learned physics from "surely you're joking....". i am quite aware of your undergrad education background from your posts at sulekha. i was merely disagreeing with your surmise about the reasons for feynman's fame.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat May 04, 2013 12:47 pm

Rishi wrote:

i don't remember saying any such thing.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down