wussy iyer boys Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wussy iyer boys

+14
garam_kuta
Seva Lamberdar
Rishi
MaxEntropy_Man
goodcitizn
Impedimenta
Idéfix
Jeremiah Mburuburu
Propagandhi711
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
indophile
Petrichor
southindian
Hellsangel
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

wussy iyer boys Empty wussy iyer boys

Post by Guest Tue May 14, 2013 8:10 am

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/35l15q/

Back to top Go down

wussy iyer boys Empty Re: wussy iyer boys

Post by Hellsangel Tue May 14, 2013 8:38 am

Ha ha ha!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Tue May 14, 2013 9:09 am

This one is a Mama's boy
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue May 14, 2013 9:11 am

southindian wrote:This one is a Mama's boy
Iyer Mama's boy?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 14, 2013 9:20 am

Why is it bad to start something new on Tuesdays? Never heard of this superstition.

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Tue May 14, 2013 9:28 am

Iyer superstition? Maybe provided by Mama through generations?
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Tue May 14, 2013 9:51 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:Why is it bad to start something new on Tuesdays? Never heard of this superstition.

You want a *reason* for the superstition?! Rolling Eyes

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 14, 2013 9:55 am

Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:Why is it bad to start something new on Tuesdays? Never heard of this superstition.

You want a *reason* for the superstition?! Rolling Eyes

Isn't there always one, some 'logic' or 'repurcussions'. Or atleast something to complete the sentence.

Talking about superstitions I would try to follow this clothes color guide when in college. Atleast during exams.

Monday: white
Tuesday: red
Wednesday: green
Thursday: yellow
Friday: white
Saturday: blue/black

Now, it's black almost everyday lol. No wonder my life is in a pit.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue May 14, 2013 10:10 am

A few other superstitions I came across.
- Don't start something new on Tuesdays, don't wear new clothes on Tuesdays (but a wedding night on a Tuesday is okay). In the North Tuesdays are auspicious for everything.
- Don't dispense cash on Fridays, but paying with a credit card is okay.
- Don't buy and bring oil ino home on Saturdays, but carryout from a restaurant (dosas, somosas, etc., dripping oil) is okay.
- Don't get a haircut on a Thursday if you have seemantini (suhag) sisters.
And I am not an Iyer. Smile

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 14, 2013 10:20 am

indophile wrote:
- Don't start something new on Tuesdays, don't wear new clothes on Tuesdays (but a wedding night on a Tuesday is okay). In the North Tuesdays are auspicious for everything.
- Don't buy and bring oil ino home on Saturdays, but carryout from a restaurant (dosas, somosas, etc., dripping oil) is okay.

Oh my mom was big on not wearing something new on Tuesday, 'reason' being it gets destroyed later. I didn't listen to her in 6th grade, and wore a new dress on a Tuesday. Then, 2-3 months later, I got hit with acute appendicitis, and was wearing that dress. They had to cut it open to do something, I forgot what, I think its neckline was too tight, and it wasn't coming off easily, and the drip was in my arm, and I could barely move. Mom was like 'I told you Rolling Eyes '. It happened through my college years, I would still wear something new on tuesdays (to rebel), she would get upset, and I would ruin the dress later, EVERY FRIKKING TIME. I now happily wear anything new any day. Nothing happens. I finally concluded, 'It's not nice to piss mom off, so better listen to her, or else it's bad luck'.

Her other big ones were

- not to shampoo or cut hair on Thursdays. Leads to poverty.
- not to eat chana on Sundays. Leads to poverty. (This one would make her fuse go OFF).

When I came here I said, 'Mom, saat samundar paar, everything gets reversed. So we should do e'thing opposite', LOL. She loved the logic, and stopped correcting me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue May 14, 2013 10:35 am

indophile wrote:

Are't you one by Redneck Swamigal caste categorization?

I know plenty....and many times I make it a point to intentionally break it by going against it.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue May 14, 2013 10:49 am

one of the many ills foisted upon india by the douches...dont let anyone else learn scriptures, eliminating competition but teach them all this superstitious nonsense that dissipates their meager energies further. and then there are douches online and elsewhere that want to preserve status quo

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue May 14, 2013 10:58 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:one of the many ills foisted upon india by the douches...dont let anyone else learn scriptures, eliminating competition but teach them all this superstitious nonsense that dissipates their meager energies further. and then there are douches online and elsewhere that want to preserve status quo
you forgot to mention forcing "junnu" down the throats of little girls so that the plastic gods may bring her a wealthy husband.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue May 14, 2013 11:02 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:one of the many ills foisted upon india by the douches...dont let anyone else learn scriptures, eliminating competition but teach them all this superstitious nonsense that dissipates their meager energies further. and then there are douches online and elsewhere that want to preserve status quo
you forgot to mention forcing "junnu" down the throats of little girls so that the plastic gods may bring her a wealthy husband.

betichod, you still hanging onto that old truthism like it were anywhere close to truth? you must think junnu is something like the thing the father (the church kind) stuck in your mouth when you were a choir boy. but you're too old and constipated to learn anything new so keep at it. also dont forget to masturbate to fantasies of playing with boobsies of boys in keeping with your religious obligations.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue May 14, 2013 11:17 am

southindian wrote:Iyer superstition? Maybe provided by Mama through generations?
This superstition is followed by Telugu brahmins as well. My guess is that it extends to most southern Indian brahmins, if not to other castes as well.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue May 14, 2013 11:18 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:

betichod, you still hanging onto that old truthism like it were anywhere close to truth? you must think junnu is something like the thing the father (the church kind) stuck in your mouth when you were a choir boy. but you're too old and constipated to learn anything new so keep at it. also dont forget to masturbate to fantasies of playing with boobsies of boys in keeping with your religious obligations.
i'm awfully sorry that i hurt your feelings. is "betichod" a telgu word? "truthism?"

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue May 14, 2013 11:21 am

indophile wrote:
Another taboo I was raised with: don't get a haircut or clip your nails on Tuesday. No reason was given other than that it is inauspicious to do those things on Tuesday. As a teenager, when I wanted to break the taboo, my parents told me all barber shops would be closed on Tuesday on account of lack of business. I went out and tried anyway, and they were wrong. The barber shop was open, and was doing good business as usual. So I realized that only brahmins believed this nonsense.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue May 14, 2013 11:22 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:

i'm awfully sorry that i hurt your feelings. is "betichod" a telgu word? "truthism?"

betichod means daughter-fucker. I learnt it from your ideological brethren living in denver. time to look up urban dictionary, eh mofo?@truthism. you must still have it bookmarked to refer to words such as cleveland steamer and reacharound?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue May 14, 2013 11:24 am

Idéfix wrote:
indophile wrote:
Another taboo I was raised with: don't get a haircut or clip your nails on Tuesday. No reason was given other than that it is inauspicious to do those things on Tuesday. As a teenager, when I wanted to break the taboo, my parents told me all barber shops would be closed on Tuesday on account of lack of business. I went out and tried anyway, and they were wrong. The barber shop was open, and was doing good business as usual. So I realized that only brahmins believed this nonsense.

I never had any such superstitions thrust on me, growing up! i just realized that after reading this thread. i think that is a big deal and i attribute it largely to my mom's parenting than anything else. in retrospect, i now know that she was well ahead of her times! miss her a lot now, espcially given how much drama goes on in this country for mother's day Sad

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 14, 2013 11:27 am

one superstition i steadfastly observe. my very first project started off on a saturday. it ran into big trouble and i had gone for broke in financing for the project. i had to seek the help of dr. j j irani to fix it. his wife told me that i should never have started it on a saturday in hindsight. the project got rescued but now i never start or seal any venture on a saturday. disclaimer: my name is singh and i am not an iyer.

Last edited by Huzefa Kapasi on Tue May 14, 2013 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 14, 2013 11:27 am

Idéfix wrote:
southindian wrote:Iyer superstition? Maybe provided by Mama through generations?
This superstition is followed by Telugu brahmins as well. My guess is that it extends to most southern Indian brahmins, if not to other castes as well.

I once knew a gult who concluded his girlfriend was unlucky (for him maybe) coz he got 2-3 speeding tickets when driving to her place every week. Not sure what to make of that.

My Sindhi boyfriend left me for the same reason, (that i bring bad luck) and he tried to convince my next ex the same too. Ya I mean he may be right but still... wishing the next ex listened to him. I might have been leading a happier life. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue May 14, 2013 11:36 am

Impedimenta wrote:
Idéfix wrote:
indophile wrote:

I never had any such superstitions thrust on me, growing up! i just realized that after reading this thread. i think that is a big deal and i attribute it largely to my mom's parenting than anything else. in retrospect, i now know that she was well ahead of her times! miss her a lot now, espcially given how much drama goes on in this country for mother's day Sad
It is great that your mom didn't thrust such superstitions on you... it was certainly "ahead of her times." Hope you had a good mother's day with your kids!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue May 14, 2013 11:39 am

Idéfix wrote:

Superstitions are rampant in every culture through the centuries. Just google and you'll be surprised. I am superstitious about just one thing. I never want to walk under a black cat (putting two superstitions together).

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue May 14, 2013 11:41 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
Idéfix wrote:

I once knew a gult who concluded his girlfriend was unlucky (for him maybe) coz he got 2-3 speeding tickets when driving to her place every week. Not sure what to make of that.

My Sindhi boyfriend left me for the same reason, (that i bring bad luck) and he tried to convince my next ex the same too. Ya I mean he may be right but still... wishing the next ex listened to him. I might have been leading a happier life. Sad

this is a superstition I could get behind as it appears to have a basis in reality. maybe this said girlfriend has a juicy clam that propels the said large dong-an to drive faster as he gets closer to her place or maybe the cops are extra ticket happy where she lives. all valid reasons to think she is no good in the long run.

in your case, you need to take an audit of how all the men that came into contact with you fared in their life. that will tell you the truth. in data you must trust

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue May 14, 2013 11:48 am

goodcitizn wrote:
Idéfix wrote:

Superstitions are rampant in every culture through the centuries. Just google and you'll be surprised. I am superstitious about just one thing. I never want to walk under a black cat (putting two superstitions together).
Hahaha!

That's right, they are rampant in modern American society as well. The one that grinds my gears is the lack of number 13 in elevators.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue May 14, 2013 11:49 am

Idéfix wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Idéfix wrote:

Hahaha!

That's right, they are rampant in modern American society as well. The one that grinds my gears is the lack of number 13 in elevators.

For a frequent flyer, have you seen row 13 on a plane?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue May 14, 2013 11:54 am

Hellsangel wrote:
Idéfix wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Idéfix wrote:

Hahaha!

Yeah, that too. I don't notice it as often because the row numbers are not all visible at the same time in a neat little arrangement as in elevators.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 14, 2013 12:07 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Idéfix wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Idéfix wrote:

Hahaha!

i concluded a deal yesterday, 13th may. it was akshaya tritiya.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 14, 2013 12:07 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:
Idéfix wrote:

this is a superstition I could get behind as it appears to have a basis in reality. maybe this said girlfriend has a juicy clam that propels the said large dong-an to drive faster as he gets closer to her place or maybe the cops are extra ticket happy where she lives. all valid reasons to think she is no good in the long run.

in your case, you need to take an audit of how all the men that came into contact with you fared in their life. that will tell you the truth. in data you must trust

Sad data is very bad. Note to self, forget about finding a third bakra. let people live happily.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue May 14, 2013 12:26 pm

Idéfix wrote:Another taboo I was raised with: don't get a haircut or clip your nails on Tuesday. No reason was given other than that it is inauspicious to do those things on Tuesday. As a teenager, when I wanted to break the taboo, my parents told me all barber shops would be closed on Tuesday on account of lack of business. I went out and tried anyway, and they were wrong. The barber shop was open, and was doing good business as usual. So I realized that only brahmins believed this nonsense.

This and a lot more. Good for you that you decided to break convention.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue May 14, 2013 12:27 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:...maybe this said girlfriend has a juicy clam...
"this girlfriend" or "said girlfriend," not "this said girlfriend." the transition from bhayyadom has been difficult, hasn't it?

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue May 14, 2013 12:33 pm

Idéfix wrote:

You are wrong... YOu should see the superstitious behavior of Goundars, Vanniars, and Naidus..

They will not step out into the street when they see a SINGLE Brahmin walking towards them. They will wait for him to cross. ONE example.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue May 14, 2013 12:35 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Idéfix wrote:

You are wrong... YOu should see the superstitious behavior of Goundars, Vanniars, and Naidus..

They will not step out into the street when they see a SINGLE Brahmin walking towards them. They will wait for him to cross. ONE example.

That is like not letting a black cat cross your path coz they are bad luck.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Tue May 14, 2013 12:40 pm

I grew up with very very few superstitions -

1. Don't start anything during sunday rahukAlam - 4.30 to 6 pm.
2. Don't cut nails after dusk (made sense, nails might drop on the floor and difficult to pick up for trashing)

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 14, 2013 12:47 pm

Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:I grew up with very very few superstitions -

2. Don't cut nails after dusk (made sense, nails might drop on the floor and difficult to pick up for trashing)

you call that few? i grew up with many. the only one i can remember is don't visit the hair salon on thursdays. i observe none save saturday. how many of the "few" do you still observe?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue May 14, 2013 12:50 pm

the title of the thread is interesting re its contents.

in any case, i might have found this thread exciting some twenty five years ago when the rebellion against the orthodoxy was still raging strong inside of me and i found the need to act on it like sending out the JEE application during the rahukAlam to make a point. i find it unnecessary to act like a douchebag and make the remaining elders of the previous generations unhappy just so i can feel good about myself. if i am in their presence and if it doesn't affect my life in any significant way, i go with whatever makes them happy on such matters.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue May 14, 2013 12:51 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Idéfix wrote:

These superstitions are completely devoid of logic (that's why the name I guess). For example, one brahmin walking toward you is bad, but two brahmins walking toward you is good (there is no doubling of the bad effect). A dead body carried against you on the way is a good thing. A prostitute walking toward you is a good thing too, but a religious widow is bad. A cat is a bad omen, but a black cat is a good omen. If someone sneezes as you step out it's bad, but if he sneezes again (teo sneezes) it's very good. Many more like that.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue May 14, 2013 1:13 pm

ya, don't cut nails after dark is more of a common sense thingie:--) also, the hair tie up theory in the kitchen. It's the best and I follow it religiously now. I used to have long hair most of my growing up days and still do have fairly long hair and so does my daughter and the rule in my home is - no hair down in the kitchen. nothing to do with superstition.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Tue May 14, 2013 1:13 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

the title of the thread is interesting re its contents.

in any case, i might have found this thread exciting some twenty five years ago when the rebellion against the orthodoxy was still raging strong inside of me and i found the need to act on it like sending out the JEE application during the rahukAlam to make a point. i find it unnecessary to act like a douchebag and make the remaining elders of the previous generations unhappy just so i can feel good about myself. if i am in their presence and if it doesn't affect my life in any significant way, i go with whatever makes them happy on such matters.

Touche!

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Tue May 14, 2013 1:20 pm

Impedimenta wrote:

ya, don't cut nails after dark is more of a common sense thingie:--) also, the hair tie up theory in the kitchen. It's the best and I follow it religiously now. I used to have long hair most of my growing up days and still do have fairly long hair and so does my daughter and the rule in my home is - no hair down in the kitchen. nothing to do with superstition.
who or what is RJD? why do you love him/her/it?

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Tue May 14, 2013 1:24 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

you call that few? i grew up with many. the only one i can remember is don't visit the hair salon on thursdays. i observe none save saturday. how many of the "few" do you still observe?

After waking up at 11:30 am after a snowstorm on a Sunday, I might languidly hit the bagel shop for honey-walnut spread on an cinnamon-raisin bagel toasted twice, hazelnut coffee and absent-mindedly touch the two-day old stubble on my chin and realize it is time for a haircut and shave. Heading back home and procrastinating, due, in part to some racy B-grade movie on TV, I might decide at 4:30 PM that some onion pakoras and ginger chai might rouse me up to head to the local Russian lady barber who uses warmed up shaving cream on the back of my neck for old-school blade-wizardry. Coming back home at 6 PM, smack dab in the rAhukAlam, I might pick up a NY'er article and head to the bathroom and cut my nails just after dark. And then, I might wonder who it is, exactly, that you refer to, when you talk of 'wussy iyer boys' - and wonder the magnitude of whupping that must have preceded that pejorative string of words.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue May 14, 2013 1:30 pm

Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

After waking up at 11:30 am after a snowstorm on a Sunday, I might languidly hit the bagel shop for honey-walnut spread on an cinnamon-raisin bagel toasted twice, hazelnut coffee and absent-mindedly touch the two-day old stubble on my chin and realize it is time for a haircut and shave. Heading back home and procrastinating, due, in part to some racy B-grade movie on TV, I might decide at 4:30 PM that some onion pakoras and ginger chai might rouse me up to head to the local Russian lady barber who uses warmed up shaving cream on the back of my neck for old-school blade-wizardry. Coming back home at 6 PM, smack dab in the rAhukAlam, I might pick up a NY'er article and head to the bathroom and cut my nails just after dark. And then, I might wonder who it is, exactly, that you refer to, when you talk of 'wussy iyer boys' - and wonder the magnitude of whupping that must have preceded that pejorative string of words.

What local Russian Barber is open at 4:30 PM on a Sunday (especially after a snowstorm)?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Tue May 14, 2013 1:37 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

What local Russian Barber is open at 4:30 PM on a Sunday (especially after a snowstorm)?

The Jewish one, of course!

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue May 14, 2013 1:38 pm

indophile wrote: If someone sneezes as you step out it's bad, but if he sneezes again (teo sneezes) it's very good. Many more like that.

Oh that brings me some memories. at every marriage, ppl will call me out at the time of tying the mangal sutra and ask me to stand away in another room/outside. Because, without fail, I would sneeze. I had this 24 hr allergy and would sneeze all day.

2 Brahmins - I think that is one reason why they always have 2 priests at marriage times and only one during cremation ceremonies - I think.

Prostitute coming towards you is good ? did not know that. How would one know if a woman was a prostitute. Also, how does one define a prostitute?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue May 14, 2013 1:40 pm

Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:

The Jewish one, of course!

You have a Jewish and a non-Jewish Russian barber shop in your little borough?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue May 14, 2013 1:41 pm

Yes, the nails after dusk thing made sense before the invention of electricity. Now I clip nails only in the bathroom, because I find that convenient. Back then, before the invention of indoor plumbing, they didn't have bathrooms inside the main house.

IMO, most superstitions are heuristics that were useful around the time they were devised. Some of them had a practical underpinning, and others were based on elaborate theories that we now know are not true (like the ones about Tuesdays). Even those that did not have a practical basis made people feel good, and in that sense they had a useful purpose. I guess if observing such superstitions today makes someone feel good, and it does not inconvenience others, there may be no harm in them.

I recently read an excellent hypothesis on one of the reasons for the origin of superstition / religious belief (in Jared Diamond's The World Until Yesterday). It is that human beings develop elaborate rites and observances that impose a cost on them for things that bring with them a high degree of uncertainty. An example illustrates this best: when farmers in New Mexico have to decide where to dig a well for water, they consult an expensive "dowser" who uses a forked twig and performs some rituals to identify the "right" spot to dig. But farmers in the Texas panhandle merely drill the well nearest to where the water is needed; no one uses dowsers. What is the difference that accounts for the more superstitious nature of the New Mexico farmers? It turns out that the water table in the Texas panhandle lies at a uniform depth of 125 feet, and the soil is predictable, so there is little to no uncertainty in the outcome if you dig a 125-foot well: you will hit water. In New Mexico, OTOH, the water table is unpredictable, and there is no knowing where you will hit water and where you won't. It is the uncertainty of outcome, not innate predilection for superstition, that drives the New Mexico farmers towards superstitious behavior. When faced with risky outcomes from an activity that takes a lot of effort, people resort to costly superstition to give them an illusion of certainty. This hypothesis does a good of explaining how many of our old superstitions came to be.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue May 14, 2013 1:42 pm

Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:And then, I might wonder who it is, exactly, that you refer to, when you talk of 'wussy iyer boys' - and wonder the magnitude of whupping that must have preceded that pejorative string of words.
lol!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue May 14, 2013 1:45 pm

Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

PS: That read like a nice passage from one of James Thurber's works.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Tue May 14, 2013 1:45 pm

Idéfix wrote:

Yes, the nails after dusk thing made sense before the invention of electricity. Now I clip nails only in the bathroom, because I find that convenient. Back then, before the invention of indoor plumbing, they didn't have bathrooms inside the main house.

IMO, most superstitions are heuristics that were useful around the time they were devised. Some of them had a practical underpinning, and others were based on elaborate theories that we now know are not true (like the ones about Tuesdays). Even those that did not have a practical basis made people feel good, and in that sense they had a useful purpose. I guess if observing such superstitions today makes someone feel good, and it does not inconvenience others, there may be no harm in them.

I recently read an excellent hypothesis on one of the reasons for the origin of superstition / religious belief (in Jared Diamond's The World Until Yesterday). It is that human beings develop elaborate rites and observances that impose a cost on them for things that bring with them a high degree of uncertainty. An example illustrates this best: when farmers in New Mexico have to decide where to dig a well for water, they consult an expensive "dowser" who uses a forked twig and performs some rituals to identify the "right" spot to dig. But farmers in the Texas panhandle merely drill the well nearest to where the water is needed; no one uses dowsers. What is the difference that accounts for the more superstitious nature of the New Mexico farmers? It turns out that the water table in the Texas panhandle lies at a uniform depth of 125 feet, and the soil is predictable, so there is little to no uncertainty in the outcome if you dig a 125-foot well: you will hit water. In New Mexico, OTOH, the water table is unpredictable, and there is no knowing where you will hit water and where you won't. It is the uncertainty of outcome, not innate predilection for superstition, that drives the New Mexico farmers towards superstitious behavior. When faced with risky outcomes from an activity that takes a lot of effort, people resort to costly superstition to give them an illusion of certainty. This hypothesis does a good of explaining how many of our old superstitions came to be.

That is an interesting theory! But what explains the steadfast-ness of their beliefs since the uncertainty is sure to affect outcomes using the 'dowsers' for eg.
There must have been many times when the 'dowser' tells them to drill and there is no water to be found.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue May 14, 2013 1:46 pm

Idéfix wrote:

Another example Diamond gives in support of his hypothesis... gamblers who play games of chance with dice or cards usually have their own personal superstitions or rituals that they observe. But chess players don't tend to have such rituals. These superstitions and rituals provide the gambler a comforting illusion of influence and / or control.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next