Coffeehouse Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coffeehouse

3 posters

Go down

Coffeehouse Empty Coffeehouse

Post by Petrichor Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:49 am

Like coffee itself, coffeehouses were an import from the Arab world. England’s first coffeehouse opened in Oxford in the early 1650s, and hundreds of similar establishments sprang up in London and other cities in the following years. People went to coffeehouses not just to drink coffee, but to read and discuss the latest pamphlets and news-sheets and to catch up on rumor and gossip.

Coffeehouses were also used as post offices. Patrons would visit their favorite coffeehouses several times a day to check for new mail, catch up on the news and talk to other coffee drinkers, both friends and strangers. Some coffeehouses specialized in discussion of particular topics, like science, politics, literature or shipping. As customers moved from one to the other, information circulated with them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/23/opinion/sunday/social-networking-in-the-1600s.html?_r=0

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Coffeehouse Empty Re: Coffeehouse

Post by Guest Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:41 am

I heard that the coffeehouses were the catalysts for french revolution. I believe that's where it all started. Ppl started talking politics and their disenchantment with the royals at the coffeehouses. That slowly gathered momentum an turned into frech revolutions and ultimately the overthrowing of the monarchy. Coffeehouses have a lot of potential.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:46 am

Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:Like coffee itself, coffeehouses were an import from the Arab world. England’s first coffeehouse opened in Oxford in the early 1650s, and hundreds of similar establishments sprang up in London and other cities in the following years. People went to coffeehouses not just to drink coffee, but to read and discuss the latest pamphlets and news-sheets and to catch up on rumor and gossip.

Coffeehouses were also used as post offices. Patrons would visit their favorite coffeehouses several times a day to check for new mail, catch up on the news and talk to other coffee drinkers, both friends and strangers. Some coffeehouses specialized in discussion of particular topics, like science, politics, literature or shipping. As customers moved from one to the other, information circulated with them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/23/opinion/sunday/social-networking-in-the-1600s.html?_r=0

I am sure such "meeting places" were there in all civilizations. In India it was/is the neighborhood temples, then came the street corner Tea Stalls. I used to run to the one nearby my house to read tamil newspapers (tabloids) for a quick 15 min in the AM (These were not purchased in my house).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:09 pm

nenu wrote:I heard that the coffeehouses were the catalysts for french revolution. I believe that's where it all started. Ppl started talking politics and their disenchantment with the royals at the coffeehouses. That slowly gathered momentum an turned into frech revolutions and ultimately the overthrowing of the monarchy. Coffeehouses have a lot of potential.

>>>Lloyds of London, the famous insurers, had it origins in a coffeehouse by the Lloyds.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:59 pm

Kris wrote:
nenu wrote:I heard that the coffeehouses were the catalysts for french revolution. I believe that's where it all started. Ppl started talking politics and their disenchantment with the royals at the coffeehouses. That slowly gathered momentum an turned into frech revolutions and ultimately the overthrowing of the monarchy. Coffeehouses have a lot of potential.

>>>Lloyds of London, the famous insurers, had it origins in a coffeehouse by the Lloyds.

Perhaps, they must have hit the insurance idea on someday falling sick on a bad coffee.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down